WALKTHROUGH: How to Add UT3 to Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
UT3 is now available on Steam, but if you're like many of us, you already have the game outside of Steam. How do you get Steam to recognize your game?

1) Register Your UT3 CD Key on Steam

• Make sure you have your UT3 CD Key on hand
  • Open Steam
  • Click on "Games" in the upper left corner
  • Select "Activate a product on Steam"
  • Follow the instructions in the in the Product Activation Wizard screen, entering your CD Key when prompted
  • When activation is completed, UT3 should begin to download in Steam under the "My Games" tab
  • Pause the download by right clicking Unreal Tournament 3 and selecting pause (Note: it is necessary for the download to temporarily start)

2) Move Your UT3 Files (confirmed for both XP and Vista)

• Move all your folders/files from Program Files/Unreal Tournament3 to Progam Files/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Unreal Tournament3 (or where ever Steam started building the new UT3 file)
  • Remove "Read-Only" from all UT3 folders
    1. Right click on the new Unreal Tournament 3 folder
    2. Select "Properties"
    3. Under Attributes, uncheck the Read-Only box
    4. Click "Apply"
    5. In the Confirm Attribute Changes window, select "Apply these changes to folder, subfolder, and files" and click OK

3) Finish Download on Steam
  • Restart the download in Steam. This is necessary as some files have been modified or some new files added. It will not download from the beginning.
  • Once download is complete, go to Steam, under My Games right click on UT3, then select Properties
  • Under Properties, go to the Local Files tab and click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache
  • Once completed, you should be good to go

To Get a New Shortcut NOTE: If you use a desktop shortcut, your old shortcut won't work.
  • Go to My Games in Steam
  • Right click the game
  • Select Create Desktop Shortcut

Links

Feel free to post comments questions, and updates.

Thanks to Brizz, Haarg, and hal for contributing to this post

Last edited:

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
I tried to do that now, but it won't accept my key, saying that I already have that product registered. Looking down at my games tab under uninstalled games shows I already have ut3, but only for 2.8 days. Steam's doing a free weekend and I don't think this will work due to that.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
To minimize download, you should definitely have them install Patch 2.0 and the Titan Pack before they move the stuff over to Steam.

:confused:

Does it download slower through Steam than direct (I've never compared)? If not, it has to download one way or another, so I'm not sure how you're minimizing download.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
edit: Ren, that is a full confirmation on vista, my download started at 80 something after transferring all my files over from my non-steam installation.

Thanks, DeToes. Updated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
:confused:

Does it download slower through Steam than direct (I've never compared)? If not, it has to download one way or another, so I'm not sure how you're minimizing download.

DP probably means overall download time. It probably takes a shorter amount of time to download and install the patches/packs before migration than downloading them in Steam.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
DP probably means overall download time. It probably takes a shorter amount of time to download and install the patches/packs before migration than downloading them in Steam.
Indeed. Especially since the US servers are swamped right now. If you move over a retail 2.0 install, OTOH, you'll get something like 90-95% done, as all it'll re-dl is the DirectX, OpenAL, etc. Redist's and the few files that are different, like the main EXE.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
For those of us that had UT3 installed on another drive, here's how to use junction.exe (thanks to Brizz for pointing me to this).

This would go before step one:

-Download junction: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx
-For ease of use, put it in your c:\ folder (although it can go anywhere, the examples below have it in c:\)
-Open a command window (Start, Run, cmd)
-Navigate to c:\ ("cd.." moves you down a folder in the folder tree)
-At the c:\ prompt, type junction.exe "c:\Progam Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\UnrealTournament3" "f:\Program Files\UnrealTournament3"

Path names may vary if you installed it in a different location. In the above example, everything that Steam (or anything else for that matter) directs to c:\Progam Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\UnrealTournament3 will now go to f:\Program Files\UnrealTournament3.

Last edited:

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
eXcellent WT! Steam is so slammed the servers cant even send the UT3 package now...

Here's a fast way to get the Titan pack after you have installed Steam:

dl the patch and the Titan pack (both are on BU's front page) and install both. Launch UT3. It will patch it before the game launches (which may take an hour or so), but the status bar will not reset like it does in the Steam games list, and thereby patch faster. After the patch dl's, Titan will already be installed, and you can play.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
For those of us that had UT3 installed on another drive, here's how to use junction.exe (thanks to Brizz for pointing me to this).

This would go before step one:

-Download junction: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx
-For ease of use, put it in your c:\ folder (although it can go anywhere, the examples below have it in c:\)
-Open a command window (Start, Run, cmd)
-Navigate to c:\ ("cd.." moves you down a folder in the folder tree)
-At the c:\ prompt, type junction.exe "c:\Progam Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\UnrealTournament3" "f:\Program Files\UnrealTournament3"

Path names may vary if you installed it in a different location. In the above example, everything that Steam (or anything else for that matter) directs to c:\Progam Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\UnrealTournament3 will now go to f:\Program Files\UnrealTournament3.
Not to be disrespectful, but I'm just playing Devil's Advocate - using Junction can make things a little screwy, and it's useful only if you're extremely strapped for HD space. If you got enough space to (temporarily) hold two installs of the game, you're much better off doing the copy and move method.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Agreed. It's like using symlinks - do it only if you need to. Not the least of the reasons why is because there is no "master" list of these links. If you forget where the links are, or if you give your PC to someone else without formatting it, things get weird.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I was able to download faster from Steam by setting my download region to an oddball country (actually pretty much any non-US location worked fine).

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
To renegade:

In the big step 2, I tried to unchecking the no-read option as you said, I cant get it because its still checked, :( How can i solve this issue? I've winxp sp3 and in a non-administrator user. Im another user with full admin privileges.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
mmm, ok that implies that those instrucctions made by renegade is better to do it in administrator mode for both installations ( first ut3 retail and before uninstall with an backup for move to Steam and second install in that account the steam application). This method can be used in this way and after I create a new account example I call user "unrealist", with all installed will it work fine?