Why no names of map authors in Epic maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Even in UnrealEd, map author filed is empty.

In UT and UT200x, author name of all offical maps hidden in game, but you may see in editor.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
We can only assume Joe Wilcox did them all.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
I always just assumed it was because multiple people worked on every level as well :p Maybe thats why the levels are so much better in UT3, only assuming that for the most part lots of level designers didn't pile unto one level in previous UT's :p

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
In previous games, generally the person who designed/made the map would also take care of making textures, lighting, item placement etc..

In UT3 I assume these jobs were split amongst many people, e.g. level design, modeling, texture/material artists, lighting etc..

Several names?

Guess they decided to just put everyone in the main credits, they probably all did something on every map.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
In UT3 I assume these jobs were split amongst many people,
I thought Epic encouraged that, because it was/is the only way you can ever create the kind of detailed levels in an engine like this.
Besides ... isn't (almost) everyone credited in-game anyway ?

The item may simply be either legacy or something for 3rd party designers (like us) to use.

Jane's_Addiction-

Nov 28, 2008
Because they are property of Epic, and Epic released the map as the author, I assume. Every ut game has been like this. I take they give credit to individuals in rolling credits.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
^ On the right track I think. It's probably something to do with an employment contract which states that anything done at work is property of the company rather than of the employee.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Unlikely. Even contractors are allowed to have their worked attributed in the event they need something to show to future employers. The days of a single person being responsible for every aspect of the map is done, or at least in terms of large scale mp fps games. At minimum you'll have someone build the layout to the best of their abilities (time given within the extent to satisfy milestones) and then an artist pretty it up.

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
I remember at least in Unreal and UT you could see who made the stock maps. But I assume it's too impractical now to create a map start to finish singlehandedly.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
In previous games, generally the person who designed/made the map would also take care of making textures, lighting, item placement etc..

In UT3 I assume these jobs were split amongst many people, e.g. level design, modeling, texture/material artists, lighting etc..

Guess they decided to just put everyone in the main credits, they probably all did something on every map.

I've been told this is pretty much the case.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
That's logical, but it's still possible and not harder than earlier to create maps by a single person. A lot of people create custom content only by themselves.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Umm, let me remind you that even Unreal maps were not done by single person. Almost all of the team contributed on these, yes the map was mainly done by one person and that is why that person is credited, but the final look was influenced by more things.....also if you remember these entrances to maps in these hub like levels, these were most likely not done by the person who did the hub map, but the person who did the next map, etc....

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
That's logical, but it's still possible and not harder than earlier to create maps by a single person. A lot of people create custom content only by themselves.

Sure, it's possible (but it is harder than previously, and takes a lot longer).

Umm, let me remind you that even Unreal maps were not done by single person...

I'm referring to Unreal Tournament

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Umm, let me remind you that even Unreal maps were not done by single person. Almost all of the team contributed on these, yes the map was mainly done by one person and that is why that person is credited, but the final look was influenced by more things.....also if you remember these entrances to maps in these hub like levels, these were most likely not done by the person who did the hub map, but the person who did the next map, etc....

Yeah, all that's true. It's just that this generation kind of took the idea of shared levels to a whole new level. I know for a fact that people did extensive work on levels they did not begin.

I suppose we could always ask someone for a more detailed explanation, eh?