A new kind of low...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I worry about those who have just come out of college. Unable to find a job because the profession they studied hard for isn't hiring or is going under.

My major is Political Science.
I'm working on 2 minors, Peace Studies and Macroeconomics.

Right now I'm working with my schools Political Science Association advisory board, using the professional contacts I've already made to set myself up specifically to apply to intern- and non-governmental organizations and/or agencies.

The hope is that I can round off my coursework and experience to be tailored for a job in or around government doing work on transnational policy and global issues.

The problem is that too many kids get a general degree like business or mass comm or marketing. Or that's the only thing they do; no minors, no complementary study or graduate program. I'm trying to set myself up to be on the winning end of job competition for my field where most kids do the bare minimum, hoping the diploma will do the talking for them.

I may also still back all this up with a stint in the US Navy first, take a couple tours as a Surface Warfare officer before entering the civilian market. This would bolster my resume in a way nothing else can and would provide me with guaranteed work out of college.

Last edited:

Matfei

[:«]Ω[»:]:Mױפקזג:]:
Apr 22, 2008
Behind the Great Australian Firewall
I may also still back all this up with a stint in the US Navy first, take a couple tours as a Surface Warfare officer before entering the civilian market. This would bolster my resume in a way nothing else can and would provide me with guaranteed work out of college.

Yep. Service in the forces is always a shining spot on a CV.

I'd be there in the army right now if I didn't get turned down for a **** medical reason.

SnaKe-Fu

Thread Killer.
Dec 26, 2000
California
www.7igaming.com
Yep. Service in the forces is always a shining spot on a CV.

I'd be there in the army right now if I didn't get turned down for a **** medical reason.

The service is usually always hiring, and it does look great on your resume. The good thing about all of you guys with Bachelor degrees and higher, you'll go in as an Officer. Check out the Basic Pay for the services right now... The good thing is it's a stable pay check and all of your medical is covered. I'm not trying to recruit for the services but it is a good option at the moment. If you can sign up without any service obligations, you could relinquish your commission and get out when the economy is doing better.

Sorry to hear that a lot of people on BUF are being effected. I didn't realize and I hope everything works out for you guys.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I'm really surprised to hear so many similar stories and so quickly after I posted.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I would like things to get better one step at a time.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Enter rant mode:

So I've been jobless for the last 6 months. I was laid off from working at a college as an Information Technology Technician. I am not completely jobless as I have my own photography business, but it puts me in a financial bind. I was making good money, now I do not.

Moving on from this I have been applying for career jobs. I cant afford to go back to $11/hour jobs because it wont be much more than what I make doing photography.

Craigslist, state, government, local newspaper.. all great sources to find jobs.

A new low... about half the jobs I apply to come back asking me questions I have already answered in my resume and letter of intent. They are obviously not reading my emails an instead sending me an automated email often linking to some website that promises jobs but never goes through with it. They often ask for personal information and other strange bits of info. I feel like there are new kind of companies trying to capitalize on the average worker trying to get a job.

I spend a great deal of time on my resume and every letter of intent I write is uniquely aimed towards that job. I take finding a career seriously.. these F@ck*s are wasting my time for who knows what reason.

I'm pissed, seriously pissed about having to put up with this $h!t for so long. G@d Damn they look like honest jobs until you receive a response from them.

I'm also pissed because i will score an interview about once a month out of the 30-40 jobs I apply for (per month) and I will will hear the words "over qualified for this position". A boon of my existence as I'm worth $15-25 an hour but they only want to hire fresh meat they can pay $12 an hour. Seriously whats wrong with being skilled? Isn't that why people go to college?

I hope you guys are having better luck out there.

/end rant

On a side note, I'm blessed to have photography to keep me going. Some people really have nothing. I only have it because I make it happen.

Dude, I know what will cheer you up: you need to make more clips pronto, bub! \o/

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
Damn, I'm not surprised to be reading about this on BuF...it's affecting us all for sure...I don't know how it is with other careers right now, but I'm confident that those of us in the creative industries will be able to pull through. not to sound like a snob, it's simply all I know. also, I'm a bit optimistic.

But in a few months it will be back to freelancing my butt off, a full-time studio monkey no more due to company cutbacks. I'll be living by the job. as in the past, messenger work will be there to provide supplemental income. I don't think I wanna go back to 9-5 drudgery anyways...

Now, I'm not 100% sure of these "simpler times" you wrote about above, but for me there was a time when a lot of creative energy went into making fun things that I did not get paid for. I didn't care. With the situation being as it is, I think it's time to try and make these two connect now. If not now, when..? we might as well make a break for it now!

good luck everybody! :wavey:
...I'll see you on the beach

Last edited: