Xbox 360 Wireless controller on XP using USB battery kit?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I have 2 controllers. One is simply USB (works already), and the other's wireless using the USB chord. The drivers doesn't detect it, thought the controller is reciveing something since the 4 lights are flashing in a loop.

So my question is, other than using the adapter here, is there any drivers available to make the wireless controller works on XP?

Thanks.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
If that's the drivers for the non-wireless Xbox 360 USB controller, then I already have.
Thanks for your time though.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Don't think you can do it without the little dongle. FYI, unless MS changed something, that dongle GULPS power through USB. I was having problems with my webcam until I read about the issue and it worked fine after I unplugged it. Annoying.

~Jason

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Yeah, I tried to do this myself. After doing some digging I found out that the Play n' Charge cable only sends power and a sync signal to the controller when it's plugged into a 360. It still uses wireless to transmit button presses and the like. So yeah, you need the USB dongle.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
After doing some digging I found out that the Play n' Charge cable only sends power and a sync signal to the controller when it's plugged into a 360. It still uses wireless to transmit button presses and the like.

Oh wow.
Thanks. I guess I'd get the adapter and then still use the chord. What a waste of plastic, I tell you.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
At least I have one USB controller. I can play GoldenEye/Perfect Dark using the 2 analog sticks, pretty much like Halo or other console shooters. Would have been fun to Split Screen though. :(

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
lol I was confused for a while there, I thought it was common sense that the controllers usb charger is for... charging the controller. :lol:

I couldn't tell if you were talking about the actual wireless receiver or not. ><

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I thought it was common sense that the controllers usb charger is for... charging the controller. :lol:

You can play with the controller when you "charge" it even without any battery kit on. That's what's so confusing about it.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Yeah, I found this out while researching some time ago. The charging cable will only charge if attached to the PC.

If DID find out that off-brand controllers like Mad Catz works (again, as long as it's wired). That's a cheaper solution to buying another M$ brand controller.

The 360 controllers are THE best gamepads for the PC, by far.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The good thing about Xbox 360 USB controllers is that they work on both platforms.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Maybe the Logitech does too, seeing as it has the Xbox face buttons (XYAB). It's also roughly the same design, so you can expect the same comfort (With the added chillstream). Although I personally don't have one, so I wouldn't know.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Wow, crazy. I just tried to get that going today, myself. The Plug and Charge cable is apparently only set up to charge the stupid controller while you play, it still operates in wireless mode and the cable doesn't carry the button signals. I caved and bought the wireless receiver since it was cheaper than a wired controller and I already have the wireless ones. I am hoping to get it working so I can use it when I play GTA games and maybe other stuff on the PC. I pretty much hate controlling flying vehicles with mouse and keyboard.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Kantham said:
thought the controller is reciveing something since the 4 lights are flashing in a loop.

The lights always flash in a loop whenever you press the button. Its basically just shows it is looking. The time it will do this seems kinda random though.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
That post (unlike this one) was not edited, my friend. ;)

Yeah, I found this out while researching some time ago. The charging cable will only charge if attached to the PC.

If DID find out that off-brand controllers like Mad Catz works (again, as long as it's wired). That's a cheaper solution to buying another M$ brand controller.

The 360 controllers are THE best gamepads for the PC, by far.

"Reading is FUN-damental!"

Last edited: