SkaarjMaster's computer update thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
SM - also check out the Cooler Master UCPs; looks like a similar design to the Enermax Revs.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Well, here's the 850W Enermax at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194041

The Corsair PSUs might have short cables, but a statement is made to this same effect at Anandtech about this Enermax PSU as well. Length of the cables will be an issue I'll try to investigate further before my final decision. Of course, I could just get the Enermax in about 3-4 weeks and see if the cables will be long enough and then exchange it if I have to and still have all my stuff ready to install at the end of Feb/early Mar. I already am using my old full-tower case and the new hard drives will go in the same spot as the old ones (new PSU same spot as old PSU also, but that's should be a given). It's a thought. I'll run a price check in 2-3 weeks and see how much the prices are dropping.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
You could be OK with whatever the cable lengths are, unless you have a very tall case and want to run cables behind the mobo tray, etc. In a few weeks the prices could easily come down considering the recent economic woes.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
The cables on the HX520W in my 2nd rig are fine, but that's a mATX case where you'd want shorter cables anyway. I've never installed that PSU in my Stacker 810 which is a big case and bottom-mount PSU.

Skak - you need to update your sig, yo! ;)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Just did a new total and I come up with $1,407.12 (old total was $1,634.36). That's with the Enermax Revolution 850W PSU (which is slightly cheaper for some odd reason; set on PSU now) and the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard instead as the X48-DS5 seems to have disappeared. I also modified the HD slightly, but I had some crazy server-type HD in their before anyway. I am saving almost $100 on the video card from last month, the RAM is down about $25, and the other MB is almost $100 cheaper. I'll be ordering mid- to late-next month, so we'll see what happens. It would be nice if no items disappeared again before then (hint, hint,....).

Last edited:

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
I would've chosen a Noctua heatsink and a smaller Corsair PSU.

I seriously doubt anyone could ever need an 850W PSU. The GTX280 is reaching what, 350W in load? 600W should do perfectly fine if you ask me. And best of all the Corsair's are really good quality.
Also the Noctua NH-U12P and even the NH-C12P seems to be outperforming that Arctic thingamajig in both noise and cooling.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1614/6/arctic_cooling_freezer_xtreme_cpu_cooler/index.html
I personally have 2 Noctua NH-U12 coolers. One with the Noctua fan and one with some random one. Both performs perfect and are really silent.

Last edited:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I like the Noctuas as well. I've had the NH-U12 on an E6600 and now an E8400, both o/c'ed pretty high and it has cooled them very well with very low fan noise. Also you can see it's a high quality product, not cheaply made looking like many HSFs.

On PSUs, I agree that some are buying more wattage than they need. But you can also get a PSU large enough that in the middle of it's power range (45%-65%) is the best efficiency which is how most perform, and where your usage will be right in that middle range.

The Corsairs are very good PSUs for sure (I have a HX520W in my #2 rig), but are not the only excellent choices out there.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Noctuas....hmmmmmmmm......never heard of them. Of course, my last build for myself was 5 years ago. I'll check 'em out! I won't be overclocking, but the cooler the better anyway I always say.

And about the PSU, well I guess you could just call me an Enermax fanboy.:)

EDIT: Looks like the Noctua NH-C12P blows them all away based on those Tweaktown results; funny how no Thermalright HSs were reviewed, although maybe they were just reviewing ones that included fans. Also, it's odd that the Arctic one I'm considering doesn't even do much better than the Thermaltake orbs.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
What GPU were you going for?

You would have to ask that would you. Now you got me thinking:

- eVGA GTX280 602/2214 -- $309.99 (newegg)
- eVGA GTX285 648/2484 -- $379.99 (newegg)

These are the regular editions and the article at PCper says you can get a 10-15% performance increase with the GTX285 over the GTX280.......now you got me thinking. Is it worth the extra $70 in the long run?

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
A 260, 280, or 4870 of whatever flavor will be plenty to handle UT3 at decent settings, SM, though you didn't say what your resolution will be (1680, 1900...).

If I were building for UT3 as one of the main titles to play and wanted to spend more, then I'd put the extra $70. into a Q-core or faster drive setup, etc., not the 285. But that's just me.

OTOH, the E8600 should be enough as well, especially if you crank it up some under the Noctua.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Right now my resolution on my 19" CRT will be 1280x960, but I may bump it up slightly depending what the choices are in the games (maybe 1360x1024, shouldn't it be 1365x1024 though). Also, I didn't want to go Quad-core just yet. Yes, I know all the UT titles have mean more CPU sensitive. In fact, the original UT was extremely CPU sensitive. Since I doubt I'll see even close to the 10-15% difference in UT3, then I'll probably stick with a GTX 280. I'll probably start ordering stuff in a couple weeks or so.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Don't the filters hinder the flow a bit though? I'm going to price things one more time in the next few days with looking at other sites besides newegg (ones mentioned earlier in this thread) and see how much of the other little stuff I will need as well. I'll make the final decision on the case right before I order. The only reason I may not get the Silverstone is I'm not sure how much I'll actually be using this case once I put my old stuff in it. Hmmmmmmmm........

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Wasn't there something in the comments at newegg (or in that pcper review) that mentioned the filters in the fans were difficult to access once the parts were installed in the case? ...or was that the Thermaltake case I was looking at?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
My present Lian-Li case has all 80mm fans and I'm used to running them without filters, so whichever case I get I'll probably be using filters (I believe the Thermaltake has 120mm fans). Once I get a new round of prices and figure out exactly what I need and where I'm getting it from, I'll start ordering stuff.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Just did a new total today and it was $1,433.03 (old total from 1-28-09 was $1,407.12). Got jacked on the HD and RAM prices that inched up a bit (WTF?!) but Noctua HS prices went down slightly (I couldn't use this price though for price comparison because I was getting the Arctic Freezer Extreme whose price remained the same). So I lost $25.91, but if I consider the Noctua for price totals from this time and last time I only lost $21.80.

No EVGA GTX280s left at the Egg, so I had to put in a BFG at the same price. I think they're purposely pulling lower end video card supplies and replacing them with higher end ones to screw us. If that's the case, then I'll find my video card somewhere else. I haven't checked any other sites for all the supplies yet except ZZF for a few and Sidewinder for the CPU heatsinks, but I'll do that and figure out all the small stuff soon. See Ya!

Oh, and just in case you're wondering, here's the link to that Thermaltake case I'm considering to put my old parts in to keep my old system running:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133075
Don't worry, the Silverstone is still the front runner, but it would be nice if the price came down a bit to sway me.;)

Last edited:

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, newegg gets to scheming once in awhile. Plenty of other places to get your stuff.