Register UT3 Retail Key With Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Epic and Valve have just now enabled the ability for UT3 Retail keys to be registered on Steam. This will allow owners of the retail game to enter their keys into Steam and download/install the game through Valve's service. To take advantage of this, simply open Steam, go to the 'Games' menu, and select 'Activate a product on Steam'. Enter your UT3 CD-Key and the game will appear in your Steam 'My Games' Tab.

Let me be the first to say: YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
I know a few people that will be happy with this :) And at least 1 that won't (I'm sure he'll show up in this thread soon enough to tell us how bad steam is).

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
I just did it and it prompted me to install the game. This doesn't use your existing UT3 installation. It creates a new one.

Tre`

Apr 10, 2008
Huzzah. Uninstalled my retail copy and started downloading from steam immediately.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
How does this affect all the maps in the 'my games' folder I have?

Nonetheless good news!

BTW Brizz your avatar beats all those other poser's attempting to be ballin' with a stack of money on their head.

Last edited:

Yoshiro

Jul 22, 2003
Visit site
Yes, it installs the game under the steam directory (ie: it is using steam). The My Folders system should be untouched/unchanged. It still uses those.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Let me be the second to say YESSSSSS!

Thanks, Epic. You know, guys, they really went out of their way to do this. I hope everyone appreciates it. I know I do.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Cool. This means you can get your DVD from a site like Newegg for $15 and register it on Steam to save additional $5 + have a back up in case you don't have internet access.

U

Unregistered

question...

Will we still need to use Gamespy to login for online play?

ANYthing is better than THAT rubbish.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
If I were to copy my retail UT3 folder into steamapps/common, would that help in getting at least most of the game on Steam?

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
No. For steam integrated features, you'll need to register your key and uninstall the old copy.

I just registered my key with it. Downloading it again is a pain in the butt, but a small and necessary evil for the goodness that will be coming very, very soon. :)

Last edited:

StreetPreacher

Mar 10, 2001
This really is very cool. While it kinda sucks that you have to uninstall and reinstall, you only have to do that once and it really is up to you as to whether getting Steam benefits are worth it or not. I already uninstalled UT3, so it's a pretty easy call for me. :)

I wish other companies who sell on Steam would do this as well. And maybe Epic should look into doing it for 2K4 too, since so many more people are actually playing it. 2K4 achievments, anyone?

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Okay, I must be dumb, so someone enlighten me.

Besides being able to load the game on another game and not having to keep track of your disks, what's the big "YESSSS" for? What's the big advantage that I need to unistall, download, and reinstall?

I've used steam to purchase and install other games, but I don't understand what the big advantage if you already own the disk version of the game (notice I said "big" advantage. I can see all the small perks, but what really makes it worth going through all the hassle?)