Assault back in UT3 with expansion pack!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
If they add assault, hope entire gametype will not turn into jump maps like it's in UT2004 (Can someone explain, why it even turned into it?)
There should be maps both with or without vehicles; and should not complete in 19 secs like UT1 Assault, because it would take more time actually to load map.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
There goes our hopes for a decent GUI
You know, that conclusion has as much foundation as saying the expansion will include assault.

Gamespy provide the ****ty online experience so they must know something about the expansion
And all their relation to Epic is that Epic uses their crappy middleware. That's all.

I like Gears, but it made my heart sink to see the promotional material for UT3 tout it as "from the makers of Gears of War."
Can't say it's a bad move - Gears was marketed better then any UT franchise. You can say otherwise, but first GeoW was a quality game, and saying "From the company that brought you..." is a valid attempt to get more people to buy and play the game.

But when your husband (i.e. Epic) has been cheating on you with the woman from his office (i.e. PS3/360 contards) in addition to beating the **** out of you, I do think it qualifies for a divorce.

Except, being in love is not being married. Fact that there people who bough every PC game Epic released so far doesn't obligate Epic to make only PC games and don't even try to "cheat on them" with consoles.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
hmmm, i prefered it. Not just because i'm a UT99 fanboy (which i am of course).

The ut2k4 assault suffers from information overload. The HUD is all over the place and it even extends to the game world by highlighting objectives with brightly coloured and nicely animated circles. And then you've got those "wisps" that constantly run around killing the atmosphere.

All that information IS useful, but i really couldn't care less. Once i've seen the map briefing i already know what the objectives are, no need to go highlighting them for me. To me highlighting objectives is as bad as using brightskins. It just seems so pedantic to me.

The gameplay additions are another matter. Being able to teleport to a more strategic defensive position the moment an objective is completed is quite a good idea. I never really liked it myself, but i can see that it balances the gameplay out a bit more to give each objective the same amount of time in the spotlight.

One thing that i REALLY liked about 2k4 assault and gets a solid :tup: from me is the briefing movies. They were better then having to read a wall of text just to understand what you are supposed to do. These movies didn't just tell you what to do, they showed you what to do. But then, being the ut99 fanboy that i am.... those walls of text could be quite fun as well ;)

With those issues out of the way, it comes down to core gameplay. I found that assault was more suited to UT99's core gameplay then the bounciness of 2k4's core gameplay.
2K4 saw this and compensated by adding vehicles into the mix and loading everything up with jumppads. It went with the flow. So it became a different kind of assault. This assault is fun, but i prefer ut99's.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
99 AS better than 2k4 AS. 2k4 AS was still great though, vehicles sucked in it because it led to pos mappers making pos maps. After fixing Subrosa, it was a great map with a vehicle, so was Junk just for the massive number of things that could be done.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why would Epic bring Assault back? You could make an assault like map using Warfare and Assault was one of, if not the, least played gametypes in both games it was included in.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Why do you keep saying that? Give me a link to just ONE community released map that is an assault-like map based in the warfare gametype. You say it can be done, but much like the classic "pics or it never happened", i want a map as proof.

I remember a thread somewhere on here where a mapper attempted to use kismet to make an assault like map and failed horribly because epic hasn't tried to accomodate for assault style levels at all.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Meh, UT2k4's Assault was ruined by UT2k4's gameplay style for me D:
Then, I never actually enjoyed Assault. Warfare/Onslaught is better.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Why would Epic bring Assault back? You could make an assault like map using Warfare and Assault was one of, if not the, least played gametypes in both games it was included in.

Stop babbling after Epic, Warfare is just Onslaught with added features. Assault is something completely different and doesn't provide any way to create real Assault-like gameplay, even with special maps.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Stop babbling after Epic, Warfare is just Onslaught with added features. Assault is something completely different and doesn't provide any way to create real Assault-like gameplay, even with special maps.
Assault is just a map with triggers and different starting and ending scenarios. You could make a freaking Assault CTF map with Kismet if you wanted.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Meh, UT2k4's Assault was ruined by UT2k4's gameplay style for me D:

This^

If you play a good AS map with something like BallisticWeapons enabled, it can actually be extremely fun, but whatever the reason (i can't quite pinpoint where the film breaks here), playing AS in 2K4 with normal UT weapons was less fun than doing the same thing in UT.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Assault is just a map with triggers and different starting and ending scenarios. You could make a freaking Assault CTF map with Kismet if you wanted.

In a very limited way. Limited enough, that I gave up on that dream.
(it really needs some additional programming, at the very least..)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
For one, the player roles. Assault has fixed attacker/defender roles per team. There may be special objectives, such as optional tasks that make life easier, but in general, one team is entirely on offense, while the other defends. In (V)CTF and Warfare there are always some defenders and attackers on both teams. Next thing are the nodes and cores. Granted, those could possibly be controlled via Kismet, but it doesn't really help that they are the main feature of the Warfare gametype and winning rounds requires destroying the enemy core.
And last but not least: the time limit. Assault is always played in pairs of rounds. The first round of each pair has the usual time limit (or no time limit at all), while the second round is limited to the time the first team required for completing the level. Warfare and its overtime core draining and the 2-or-1 round winning score doesn't help here either.
Oh and of course there are bots. Ideally those should understand which objectives to complete and in which order. Objective selection is something the gametype handles.