Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
One concern I have is that they'll spend too much time fixing bugs and not adding new material. Either that or the bugs will get overlooked in favour of bling and buzz material.

They've been in information blackout for what, almost 4+ months now? I would certainly hope they're seriously overhauling the parts of the game that need it most. New skins and models would be appreciated for variety but I think they know what the community wants and they've publicly acknowledged that they failed to deliver on certain parts of the game.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
@shoptroll

I aggree and the community is still alive. Because of the MSUC the 'freelance' for the game is very agile and people talk (mostly) seriously about the game. In that case they have enough input. I'm sure they also keenly watch the forums to get an overview what the community is wanting.
I only want to mention it would be nice to spread out some more infos about the expansion because lots of people are very interesting in.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah Im certainly not in a rush for info, it'll probably lead to more heated discussions which I could honestly do without at this point :p

I agree though if Epic drop the ball on this one it'll be like pouring acid over an open wound thats been picked at for the last year. If they really took a step back and looked at what people were saying about UT3 before they moved forward they must be heading in kinda the right direction.

I wish things were different in the back of my mind though, I wish UT3 was the hit we all hoped it would be (including Epic) then we could go into this expansion with a clear, open mind. Then Id be happy to say oh heres something kewl that could be added and the like instead of listing bugs which should have been caught before the disc went gold.

I'll admit Epic did do a decent job at bug fixing but it was alittle too late, the fact the bonuspack had problems didnt help either. It just jaded peoples views on "Epic quality" so anything they do now unfortunately (especially on PC) will be held to perhaps more scrutiny because of the constant fumbling.

If they can hit a middleground with new content/features and make sure the release is rock solid then I'll be very impressed. Itd certainly do alot for how people react when you say Epic, is it fail or quality? :cool:

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
You know, they might increase sales-potential this early on in the development cycle if they stopped calling it an expansion.

They really should stop it, before the term "Expansion" gets spread around too much. They need to spin this as an entirely new game, even if it isn't. If they don't people are going to look at it and say "Expansion for crap game is crap", before it even gets released people will say that. Hell, people already ARE saying that! Just look at some of rat bag's posts, and there are many other posts on BU from whom we lovingly call the whiners that hint at this.

"Major expansion" is probably the most accurate description of what epic is doing with UT3, but that still isn't good enough. No matter how big epic makes this expansion sound people will ignore the adjectives and look at the noun; "expansion", which indicates a continuation of something crap. (I don't believe UT3 to be crap, i'm just stereotyping the rest of you ;) )

Even if this is an expansion, epic should start referring to it as "The sequel to UT3", Or better yet, "The sequal to UT2004".
UT2004 was infinitely more praised by the community then UT3 has been and putting this expansion out as the sequal to ut2k4 would have a positive effect, while putting it out as the sequal to ut3 will have a slightly negative effect due to how we recieved that game.

And i know how much you guys hate this, but..... I reckon they need to milk out the GoW crowd too. So expect to see "From the creators of Gears of war and Gears of War 2" In every single ut3.5/4/2009 advert that you come across. Believe me, it'll be worth it in the end. I'm an offliner, but i can feel the effect of the online communities failure spreading to the offline sector. So you onliners need new players? Beggers can't be choosers so just put up with some GoW fanboi's for a while huh?

(And no, I wasn't hinting at the release date up there when i said ut3.5/4/2009, what would I know anyway? Don't be PMing me :lol: )

darkonxy

Its all about the BFG Baby!!!
Mar 26, 2008
all i can say is that if they had crappy stock maps they'll have crappy expansion maps

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
@shoptroll
I aggree and the community is still alive. Because of the MSUC the 'freelance' for the game is very agile and people talk (mostly) seriously about the game. In that case they have enough input. I'm sure they also keenly watch the forums to get an overview what the community is wanting.
I only want to mention it would be nice to spread out some more infos about the expansion because lots of people are very interesting in.

I'd be happy with just a reply from any Epic employee saying "we're still working on it". No details necessary. They just need to effing say something.

Lets start a petition?

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
Even if this is an expansion, epic should start referring to it as "The sequel to UT3", Or better yet, "The sequal to UT2004".

Before they give it a crappy name I think we should start brainstorming what they should name the expansion.

I suggest UT3: Alternate Unreality
Why: So they have the freedom to break any continuity with the existing UT3 storyline if it's necessary to create a better game.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
... and after all the articles bragging about their "gameplay first" level design process ....

mmm. I think the map design is ok, but in the wrong style / theme etc..
Most of the maps have some well thought-out things for skilled moves, but I'd personally prefer some more diverse locations and arena style maps.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
The engine-independent content tool 'Beast' from Illuminate Labs is integrated with the Unreal Engine 3 now.

"Beast for Unreal Engine 3 simply replaces the light maps in Unreal Engine 3 with full global illumination light maps, getting you a vast increase in lighting quality without actually modifying the rendering pipeline in Unreal Engine 3. You get a ton of new options to light the content, and the overall results will be far superior than the default light maps from Unreal Engine 3."
more...

Maybe this is part of the Expansion Pack? Would be nice :)

Nice! I assume map build-times would skyrocket, but with so much potential for extra eyecandy I'd love to get my hands on that (as a mapper).

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
mmm. I think the map design is ok, but in the wrong style / theme etc..
Most of the maps have some well thought-out things for skilled moves, but I'd personally prefer some more diverse locations and arena style maps.

They are "ok", but thats pretty much it, there's none of them that are "instant-classic!" material, they are just adequate to good, nothing really special.

And no, you are not the only one who feels that having only 4 themes for all the maps was a bad idea, but this is just yet another casualty of the "war" rather than "tournament" theme of the game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They are "ok", but thats pretty much it, there's none of them that are "instant-classic!" material, they are just adequate to good, nothing really special.

And no, you are not the only one who feels that having only 4 themes for all the maps was a bad idea, but this is just yet another casualty of the "war" rather than "tournament" theme of the game.
The gameplay of almost all of the maps is perfectly fine. The reason why there are isntant classics in previous UTs is because so many of the maps were subpar that several maps simply stood out from the rest. In UT3 most of the maps are of similar quality (although I see Vertebrae as a classic ;)).

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
The gameplay of almost all of the maps is perfectly fine. The reason why there are isntant classics in previous UTs is because so many of the maps were subpar that several maps simply stood out from the rest. In UT3 most of the maps are of similar quality (although I see Vertebrae as a classic ;)).
100% A+

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Benfica said:
I see, it's just that I believe that they optimized the game pretty well on the GPU side, and the game doesn't have AA which is the true killer for higher res. With the (in)balance of computing power between CPU and GPU is so high these days, that the cards just idle there waiting for more commands, they just don't have anything else to do . You can't remove a bottleneck (with another gfx card), that doesn't exist in the first place.
Dark Pulse said:
If you have higher res, you don't really need AA. If you're picking for jaggies at 1920x1280, you're clearly not playing the game, you're ****ing nitpicking.
WTF? Read it again.

What I mean is that lack of AA makes the game lightweight on today's midrange graphics cards. So 1 graphics card is often waiting for the CPU, let alone SLI

Last edited:

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Before they give it a crappy name I think we should start brainstorming what they should name the expansion.

I suggest UT3: Alternate Unreality
Why: So they have the freedom to break any continuity with the existing UT3 storyline if it's necessary to create a better game.

Id suggest

Unreal Oops we did it again

Breaking continuity is whats put the franchise where it is today, encouraging inconsistency is just asking Epic to repeat old misstakes and continue the downward spiral...

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
Hey all,

Is this 'awesome' expansion gonna be put out on the Wii too, AND THEN ported over to pC? That would be soooooo 'F YEAH'!!! I hope they keep the 'B' rated voice acting and simplified UI cause I dont like games that are too mature and complicated. I do like gore though. I hope we get more chunks of meat and gore splatters. I want it less mature but more bloody with alot of violence. I also hope the game will look like those cool 'bullshot' screenshots they teased us with before but never got after the games release. I was bummed about that, but im sure it was a mistake on their part. Maybe it was those damn online game review sites that photoshoped them to hype it up. They usually are A-holes.

I know epic will pull through cause they never turn their backs on us die hard pc fans. I am eagerly awaiting the release of this highly anticipated game of the decade with my $50 in hand. Epic is going to make a killer off this game with the pc crowd cause its gonna be like a console. And consoles brings in more money. This is gonna blow GOW sales out of the water. I just know it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.