Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
the bottom picture of borderlands doesnt use global illumination. :p
Maybe but there are much more improvements than Global Illumination alone.

* Global Illumination
* All materials interact with the lighting
* Soft Shadows
* Transparency effects in light maps
* Emissive materials act as light sources
* HDR Environments
* Correct shadows and lighting for LOD objects

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
@Kazimira
Ya, I think so! Personally I found Emissive Materials very usefull. Now you not only have a single point where the light come from. There are some nice possible effects by use them designing the in-game lighting.

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.illuminatelabs.com/products/beast/images-unreal-samples/emissive.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
I still find the current engine a little on the erm... restrictive side light wise. Still it gives me a better idea of how lighting works than a few LED lights and a few solid objects on a desk. I'm really looking foward to any engine changes this new lighting can bring.

Rujman

Mar 20, 2008
EPIC:

Four things:
1. Fix the netcode
2. Weapon balance
3. Faster weapon switch
4. Fix the UI

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
This is what surprised me, it just seems like a lot of untapped capability for a modern pc & it doesn't seem to apply to other non UE3 games.
I see, it's just that I believe that they optimized the game pretty well on the GPU side, and the game doesn't have AA which is the true killer for higher res. With the (in)balance of computing power between CPU and GPU is so high these days, that the cards just idle there waiting for more commands, they just don't have anything else to do :lol:. You can't remove a bottleneck (with another gfx card), that doesn't exist in the first place.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Unreal III --> Unreal III A _ _ _ _
Quake III --> Quake III A r e n a
Quake III was always Quake III Arena. What you're thinking of is Quake III Arena --> Quake III Team Arena. Which is how it should've been in the beginning, but I digress.
I see, it's just that I believe that they optimized the game pretty well on the GPU side, and the game doesn't have AA which is the true killer for higher res.
If you have higher res, you don't really need AA. If you're picking for jaggies at 1920x1280, you're clearly not playing the game, you're ****ing nitpicking.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Fix DemoGuy and the sound grunt bug too! (I should not hear a male grunt when I shoot a robot, Krall or female.)

no standing turn anims
sliding taunts
HUD options for minimizing text display

Mind you theres so many all we are doing is picking from a few of the bugs. One concern I have is that they'll spend too much time fixing bugs and not adding new material. Either that or the bugs will get overlooked in favour of bling and buzz material.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.