Unreal Tournament Maps 2009

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

offramp

bOfframp=True
Apr 28, 2006
Cologne
Good stuff. I always liked remakes of classical maps. Just played through all DM-Deck versions from then to know to see and feel the difference - very interesting.
You really got it down to capture the original look of the maps, i really liked the DOOM map, can't wait to play that one and check it out in the editor.
Subscribed to the thread - don't wanna miss the release. :rockon:

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Remakes like this make me want to play again. But then, so would a large number of people online and actually playing them.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Hmm....impressive...but that mirror effect..bleh...UT3 cannot do better?

I should point out that it looks alot smoother in actual gameplay - in the video I had it set on "slomo 0.2" in the game, and for whatever reason in slomo it looks really jumpy. It really does look pretty damn good when playing, at normal speed!

I miss that mirror checkbox! (Maybe I missed something, but there is no basic "mirror surface" to use in UT3)
The actual SceneCaptureActor settings are FPS = 30 and a resolution of 1024x1024. (For whatever reason, it does take a lot of computing power to do reflections - compared to the old "mirror" anyway)

Yeah that's a nice showcase demo and I was impressed with what you've done.
I will ask this though, are they ported maps or built from scratch?

Thanks.
I exported the BSP from the original maps as a whole single mesh, scaled it, then used that as a template to build around with meshes (generally).

Some of the maps are entirely mesh, for example in CTF-Niven if you look closely at the corners, they are rounded (you can kind of see that in the video on the edges of the reactor for example)

One question: Are you using the original textures or something like the UTRP S3TC textures? Hard to tell from the video.

I exported all the original textures, resampled them from 256x256 to 2048x2048 and then enhanced them myself.
I'll post some screenshots soon for a better idea of quality - the video is pretty compressed and low-res.

There's a BSP exporter utility made by someone. But then you have to work on exporting/importing all the textures.
Sneh, how you got the video playing on the LCD screen in House Wars?

I never bothered with the BSP exporter, I basically just did it all by hand.
(to my knowledge, that program doesn't really work anyway)

Video on the LCD screens..
1. For putting any video in UT3, you'll need RAD Video Tools (Free Download)
2. Just save video in the *.BIK format, which you then import into UED as a movie texture.
3. In your material, use the Movie Texture Sample and hook it up-as per-usual. (in my case, to the emissive node)

Specifically for the stock cutscenes, they are already in *.BIK format (..\ut3\UTGame\Movies) but I loaded them in RAD and re-saved them at smaller resolution to import into my package (file-size could get out of hand really quickly!)

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I exported all the original textures, resampled them from 256x256 to 2048x2048 and then enhanced them myself.
I'll post some screenshots soon for a better idea of quality - the video is pretty compressed and low-res.

Maybe you should try S3TC textures for even better visual quality.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I should point out that it looks alot smoother in actual gameplay - in the video I had it set on "slomo 0.2" in the game, and for whatever reason in slomo it looks really jumpy.

There's the same problem when making videos. The engine seems to have trouble deciding where an actor should be if the gamespeed is too low.

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
I'm looking forward to playing the remake of HyperBlast (I have fond memory's of that one, along with that CTF Map that had those super fast pipe things...)

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I can testify to both the smoothness and resource drain of 'mirrors'. If you haven't already, check out my Fractal remake because it uses these 'mirrors' for the effect in the pit. Although you will only see them with world detail set to medium or high, and only when standing on the edge of the pit (Cull distance), because there are two in the map, and they drain a lot of resources (Say 20FPS on a 8800 GTS 640, on average). And of course depending on the texture resolution in the parameters, it will look blocky (Which sucks) or not, and the refresh rate, it will skip, or not. I think I have set mine to 60FPS which is the frame lock for UT3 by default, otherwise it wouldn't refresh fast enough and you would get a jumpy image. Of course if you have 'unlocked' the frame rate, you will see the jumpy result anyways.
But no matter what parameters are used for the image quality and refresh rate, whatever is capture will move really smoothly on the mirror surface, unless of course the refresh rate is below 25. :)
Hourence helped with his tutorial :)

I do miss the right click -> mirror of the old days. :( Or even warpzones...

As for your maps, I really can't wait to play Niven again. I missed it in UT2004, it's good to see it back, especially with that level of detail :)
As for Gothic, I think I already posted on your Youtube video about the awesome weather effects ;)

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
i hate to be the party pooper, but that vid showed off a bunch of pure crap :p (No offense sneh, seriously)

Right now all i see is a bunch of BSP ported from the UT. (I know you said that it was done by hand, but when it is that similar it may as well just be called a port imo)

Aside from gothic (Which looks freaking awesome) and oblivion (Which is very nice) those maps were all horribley similar to the ut99 version. However I understand that these are just alphas and betas and i'm looking forward to what you can do with them. :D

I'm watching the vid again now i'll just note down my reactions as i go:
Oblivion already is looking quite good, could easily be better but i like what i'm already seeing
Oblivions outside "skybox" looks beautiful
The mirrior in that vid is horriblé, but i understand it looks nothing like that in game
Turbine is really "meh" for me (Talking about what was shown in the vid, not the actual map; i love turbine!) although i like how you've drawn out the bolts on those pillars to make it less low poly
Niven flagroom in it's current state is disgusting visually, and it might be a bit small for gameplay, but ignore that cause i could easily be talking out of my arse :p
The particle effects on Niven look sexy. :eek:
the underwater part of niven is looking decent
OOoOoo more particle effects for the red team = win
Gothic is one that really ports well to ut3 imo, the textures are detailed enough to look fine on the Ue3 (I am aware of your using updated textures), although you seem to be drawing out meshes from the traditional textures.
Weather effects and teleporter effects looking gorgeous
Hyperblast classic, the *skybox* (What are they called on this engine?) is great, everything else looks like a ****ty port from UT99.
I can't see too well from this vid, but it would appear that you have done updated lava fields for lavavgiant. w00t!
Aside from new lavafields, i don't like the direct BSP portage that has been displayed in vid.
The redeemer cave is great
Blue base is suffering from BSP syndrome as well.
can't comment on house warz because i never played the ut99 version.
Doom..... it looks like a total dogcrap, but hey it's doom baby! It doesn't get more oldskool then that! If anything is allowed to look like that, it's E1M1 for sure. :lol: This is the sort of situation in which i can appreciate shoddy graphics.

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
very nice! cant wait to see some of these in UT3... also liked the HouseWars even though i was never a 'big room' map fan it looks like fun :)

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
i hate to be the party pooper..

No problem!
I try to keep my posts short, but I'm going to have to explain my intentions in a bit more detail..

I understand, a lot of people really don't want to see BSP maps these days.. I don't mind them myself, they have their "place".
To me, these are just remakes and it simply takes too long to produce maximum quality work (for the fact that these aren't my own original ideas in the first place, it's just not worth it)

I'm basically achieving what I set out to do..
I can now play these maps in UT3 (great or otherwise) and for each map I specifically focused on certain things to learn UE3, so I can soon start a brand new custom map with practically full knowledge of the new engine.

For example, in the Doom map I learned how to do all kinds of lighting animation (pulsing, blinking, one color to another, etc.. etc..)
In Oblivion it was all about the starfield, I had fun playing around with that and all the variations (which you don't see)
In Gothic I really pushed my knowledge of Kismet, and learned a lot of things to do with Material changes and so much more.

A lot of what I learned is behind the scenes - ie Doesn't end up being in the map itself but I know to use in the future, lots of tinkering and experimenting has taught me a lot.

Here's a basic outline to my expectations..

DM-Oblivion and DM-Gothic
I aim to achieve a fairly high standard..

DM-Turbine and CTF-Niven
I hope to enhance to be more than basic, but not aiming for amazing

DM-Hyperblast and CTF-LavaGiant
Only mildly enhanced from the originals, essentially

DM-DoomE1M1
Intentionally old-school! (although technically I have enhanced the textures, made some normal maps etc..)

VCTF-Housewars
Just using what I've got, had a house and furniture models kicking about so just putting them to use. I like it myself, but not something I would have set out to make from scratch TBH.

So.. bottom line is, now when I start a brand new custom project I will know how to do anything I can imagine in terms of the editor.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

My post got deleted for some reasons, read your PM.

Video on the LCD screens..
1. For putting any video in UT3, you'll need RAD Video Tools (Free Download)
2. Just save video in the *.BIK format, which you then import into UED as a movie texture.
3. In your material, use the Movie Texture Sample and hook it up-as per-usual. (in my case, to the emissive node)

Specifically for the stock cutscenes, they are already in *.BIK format (..\ut3\UTGame\Movies) but I loaded them in RAD and re-saved them at smaller resolution to import into my package (file-size could get out of hand really quickly!)

Oh, BIK formats, nice. Same they used for intros.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I tried the doom map...it was great...but you could have included more of the secret rooms same with original, as in you can open the window in control room etc, or that button behind one pillar....
Also the background would look better if there was some kind of skybox, i don't get why skyboxes are removed, but I am sure they can be made somehow.
Also I didn't like some of the remixes you have put in, i would have enjoyed the map with the standard music that plays in beginning, but meh...

Anyway FPS wise very stable, even at highest settings, though you cannot wonder why. :lol:

And good to have some oldskool feeling back as well... :p

But maybe map01 from doom2 would be better, :D

Also taht runestorm shotgun did not work......it appeared as blank in mutator selectiona nd it carshes my game, i guess why...maybe localization?

Last edited:

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
While the effects in hyper blast to look great I think there is a lot of room for upgrading the architecture in most of the maps I saw in that video.

Its been 10 years since UT99 I think we can produce something a little more artistically embellished than the original fairly square architecture. With the technology available in UT3 you could actually model the curves and flourishes in the Gothic architecture rather than just copying the old textures.

The only reason that they were textures in the first place is because at the time it was the best way to make things look more detailed. The same goes for the castles in Lava Giant. The castles in the bases are way to simple to pass off as decent work nowadays.

I like that your bringing some good maps to UT3 though, but maybe make a few less maps and build some nicer meshes.

Sorry for the harsh crit, but I'm just being honest. I will say though that I can appreciate the effort that you have put out thus far and will be sure to give your maps a play.

Keep up the hard work.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
along with that CTF Map that had those super fast pipe things...)

CTF-HallOfGiants. I'd love to see a solid UT3 conversion some day. I had a lot of fun with that map + Stangelove. CTF-LavaGiant][ was a really good map for Strangelove as well.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
I tried the doom map...it was great...but you could have included more of the secret rooms same with original, as in you can open the window in control room etc, or that button behind one pillar....
Also the background would look better if there was some kind of skybox, i don't get why skyboxes are removed, but I am sure they can be made somehow.
Also I didn't like some of the remixes you have put in, i would have enjoyed the map with the standard music that plays in beginning, but meh...

Anyway FPS wise very stable, even at highest settings, though you cannot wonder why. :lol:

And good to have some oldskool feeling back as well... :p

But maybe map01 from doom2 would be better, :D

Also taht runestorm shotgun did not work......it appeared as blank in mutator selectiona nd it carshes my game, i guess why...maybe localization?

The shotgun wasn't made by me so I can't help there.

The other secrets are kind of redundant, since you can just jump out the windows on both sides as well as the passage - I didn't want it to be too open.

The skybox, I don't know if that's possible and I didn't spend too much time thinking about it - and not much use making it too good compared to the map itself.

Music, well, can't please everyone.

I dunno, it's kind of a tradition for mappers that if you're gonna remake a doom level and no one else has done e1m1 yet, then that's the level that will be remade.

Yes that's why I chose this map, it's not my favorite but it's the "most classic" map works well as a UT map IMO.

While the effects in hyper blast to look great I think there is a lot of room for upgrading the architecture in most of the maps I saw in that video.

Its been 10 years since UT99 I think we can produce something a little more artistically embellished than the original fairly square architecture. With the technology available in UT3 you could actually model the curves and flourishes in the Gothic architecture rather than just copying the old textures.

I'd totally love to have all the maps with amazing new graphics and quality.

I agree with what you're saying about less maps more quality, but I'd like more than just one, and I'm only 1 person. Some more people could try a map each and possibly do a better job? - But they haven't... so here is mine.

Since they're remakes, I'm not going to ever get any credit in any way no matter how hard I try. I am satisfied enough, I'm not trying to impress myself (except for some small details, but not the whole map)

Wouldn't it be awesome if they (Epic) did another UT (like a remake of the whole game), with a lot of the old maps as well as new ones etc.. but I mean as an additional release to UT4 or whatever.
I'd like that :)

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
Don't understand why the hell your doing this since we could just play ut99 and get even better gameplay and still look the same...