[idea] waiting list

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
New idea, how to populate empty servers/gametypes.
If you want to play certain gametype/map/mod, but see there is zero players, you either leave game or go to other gametype. What if add 'waiting for players' feature, you just select server. Other players (and you too) see in server browser something like that: 0/12(1 waiting) and may join 'waiting list.'
When there are 4 or more (depending on your settings) players on queue, you see message that there is enough players to play on that server, and asks to join game.
You may play other at server while waiting for game. Maybe even using more than one waiting lists.
With this feature you dont want to 'zombie sleep' on server 15 minutes alone, praying if someone will join it (and wont leave in 1 minute).

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
That's a nice idea. I think I'll make something like that for UT1.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They should have some way to do that from the OS. That would be really nice. Just say you want to play on some server and keep doing your browsing and chatting, then when enough people queue up give you a little notification and launch the game. Nice idea!

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
That's exactly what that old site Pure Pressure did.

Ooh, old FragBU Wiki page!

The site was essentially pugging via IRC minus everything that makes that dumb and with a lot of interesting features added on top. But those asshøles dipped out real quick when they got an offer from id and/or Sega, so the site's been gone for ages now and there's no real mention of it anywhere.

UndeadD3vi1

Dec 29, 2008
I just wish the server browser showed the correct PING's to servers. It says +200ms to a server I get 46ms to.. (GameSpy Browser = Massive Fail)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think the server browser is usually about double what your ping will be. AFAIK it has always been like that in UT.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Good idea! (but sad it have come to this)
One problem is that you would have to have UT3 running all that time.

Building on to that idea, what about a Schedule tab besides the Server, History and Favorites?

Click a server, pick date and time when you know you can play (or add yourself to a group thats already been scheduled)
You could even schedule weekly sessions like "ill be here every Wednesday 21:00CET)

lol, i dunno its a bit crazy trying so desperate to keep a game alive?

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino

Steam can inform you about friend entered game, even if you don't running any.
It doesn't inform you, however, he entered specific server.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

Building on to that idea, what about a Schedule tab besides the Server, History and Favorites?

Click a server, pick date and time when you know you can play (or add yourself to a group thats already been scheduled)
You could even schedule weekly sessions like "ill be here every Wednesday 21:00CET)

lol, i dunno its a bit crazy trying so desperate to keep a game alive?
Why would this need the game to actually be running? It could be a very slim external server browser (like uBuLo back in UT2k3) that allowed server queuing and reported to the master server.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Well it was a response to ne_skajus first post where i got the impression he talked about the ingame serverbrowser, but sure, external works too :)

Basically i would use anything that got me a full 5v5 NW CTF server.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
They should have some way to do that from the OS. That would be really nice. Just say you want to play on some server and keep doing your browsing and chatting, then when enough people queue up give you a little notification and launch the game. Nice idea!

Yeah that does sound sweet, you could join a group (que), send out invites once youre in etc. Would make setting up a match a heap easier, having it outside of the game certainly has its benefits as well.

This is one of the things I really like about valve games on steam is that its a generic server browser you can use for all their games. People shouldnt need to boot the whole overhead of the game just to see if theres something happening.

Setting up teams in this staging area would make things easier as well, perhaps list ranking etc next to their name, if you play with people regularly enough you'll know whats fair teams anyways. If the staging area was tied in with the server management it could really go far so an admin can join in the que and adjust gametype/mutator settings and put em up on a vote menu.

Those types of features might not be as handy for a single match but if you want to set up a small event for the night it could make things alot easier.

Anyways, big thumbs up on this idea from me :cool:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
seems like these are the kind of features we thought we were getting with all the talk of Lobbies/Lounges for players which should be MANDATORY in MP games these days... a place to browse for friends, gametypes, servers etc. thats based on a simple social netowrking concept thats InGame! alot of this was talked about but never appeared in UT3... hope it makes it into UT4 so we're not talking about how it shoulda coulda woulda been nice in 2012 all over again ;) happy new year!

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com

Yes! That would be really useful, and would probably give more chance of playing especially on a "slow" night.

I'll boot up UT3 and go to my favorites list which shows all 20 are empty and then exit the game. I just play something else although I'd prefer to play UT3 (I never boot it up again 10 times just to keep checking,).
For all I know there could be 20 people just like me keen to play right then, but you'd never know..

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well I kinda like the idea of p2p for mod/patch downloads as well, I havent used it for anything of mine yet but Id jump at the chance. Especially if clients can use both server and other client streams to speed up map downloads, etc if the server is a higher ping.

I guess a waiting list could be whats going on while files download in the background. If you set a maplist it could check the lot and stream em while getting ready to play, then again theres still a bit of a delay in the browser window isnt there, hmmz