UT3 Singleplayer - Desires?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Well, regardless of what they make, they absolutely need to put the effort back into Instant Action for any new UT, IA is what Offliners play, not the ladders, sure we give thouse a whirl, maybe even replay them some time down the line, but IA is what people actually play, even the Onliners often do so they get to play with certain mods (or combinations of mods) that don't have a big online presense.

Seriously, IA is important to UT, even thouse who only play online are directly affected by IA's success or failure, so Epic needs to do a propper job of it the next time.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
You could have just quoted me. <M::A,aaaaaaaaaad:

My sp desires? Well, it's not really about story to me, I want bots that I actually have a hard time playing against instead of breezing through the hardest skill level. Take a note from the CPMA bots, now those are annoyingly good unlike the bots in the Unreal series.

I want a challenge and if there's no challenge to bot play, then there's no reason for me to ever play a botmatch offline.
:maaaaaadmmmmmmm:

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Ok, if I could buy the FLaG nonsense I could buy the huge bulky macho soldiers who are treated and described as war veterans all the time yet they wisely chose not to fight at all when there are no respawners (kind of like a marine going: "Hells naw, I ain't going out there. I can play some CS or CoD4 against them pesky camel jockeys but real combat? Naw, not me...").
But then Epic should have made a little cutscene similar to the WAR victory vids of the cores exploding that showed the "defeated" enemies fleeing or maybe even make a few little chase missions. Or, cheaper even, just a few voiced comments from your comrades about how the opponents are a bunch of wussies who won't fight without respawners around. Anything, really. Anything that indicates that this isn't just pure old classic CTF forced into "warfare".

Besides: What happens if the other team caps your flag too often? You don't have the option to fight on (with just the one life you are currently living) either!

Haha. Why am I even writing this. As if it wasn't clear from the first time anyone saw this in their games that it doesn't make any sense.:lol:

Respawners change things. Instead of soldures thay slowly turn everyone into tourny competitors. The more technology you put into a war that has to be used a sertain way the less people deviate from that and ether become heros blow themselves up or win a war. Respawners are a great idea but it makes veterans turn into wimps.

And yeah it could have been explained. I'm actualy one of these people that thinks the UT3 story had potential. I'm actualy doing one of those horable things that all FPS people seem to be afraid of... a fanfic. I'm trying to write up the UT3 story and add the detail I think has been lost plus a few more character interactions. One problem I have is where UT3 fits in with the other games. Wouldnt be an issue if I didnt have to deal with Lauren.

We'll see how much thay should have bolted on to the story.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Why does it need mature language? Every game I've ever played with tons of swearing in it sucks and also sounds so forced and worthless.

Yeap. I should say that the language in Unreal II is a golden middle - a little stronger words here and there, each person having their unique style of talk etc.

Now call me a n00b, but i still enjoy playing the ut99 tutorials :lol:. I hated the ut2kx tutorials because they were just movies. The ut99 tutorials were interactive and really immersive. This isn't really a big thing, but i would like interactive tutorials for each of the game modes just like ut99. Preferably with a special map that can't be seen anywhere else in the game for each tut, just like in UT1.

Also, make bots more interesting! I still find the ut99 ones to be the best. You can order your whole team to "Hold this position" on a DM map and your whole team will converge on that spot and defend it like a flag base.

Yea, those tutorials were fun. Especially DeathMatch ;)
And UT2004 has "Hold this position" as well. Extremely useful in Invasion, if you want your bots to camp around a good place.

Besides: What happens if the other team caps your flag too often? You don't have the option to fight on (with just the one life you are currently living) either!

Probably the Respawners still have a little energy left.

You could have just quoted me. <M::A,aaaaaaaaaad:

:maaaaaadmmmmmmm:

:stupid:

And yeah it could have been explained. I'm actualy one of these people that thinks the UT3 story had potential. I'm actualy doing one of those horable things that all FPS people seem to be afraid of... a fanfic. I'm trying to write up the UT3 story and add the detail I think has been lost plus a few more character interactions. One problem I have is where UT3 fits in with the other games. Wouldnt be an issue if I didnt have to deal with Lauren.

Make sure it fits into the Unreal universe story... (AKA doesn't conflict with The Liandri Archives ;) )

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
By silly premises, I meant things like FLaGs. By one-liners I meant stuff like "food co-ret". Things like that.

Ah ok I see.

The story certainly was too serious for me to be able to swallow it. If it was intended as tongue in cheek, it went way over my head.

Lets just agree the story was really, really bad.

Why does it need mature language? Every game I've ever played with tons of swearing in it sucks and also sounds so forced and worthless.

mauture language works best if it comes unexpected and appropriatley, having Demoguy shout F Yeah three times under a minute completly ruins the moment or whatever effect it intended to have.

Respawners change things. Instead of soldures thay slowly turn everyone into tourny competitors. The more technology you put into a war that has to be used a sertain way the less people deviate from that and ether become heros blow themselves up or win a war. Respawners are a great idea but it makes veterans turn into wimps.

FLaGs is one of those ideas that should never have enter the drawing board and been put straight into the trash bin...

UT3 dosent fit anywhere imo neither in multiplayer tournament or a storydriven singleplayer experience... you could potentially cannibalize it for the concepts that work but otherwise leave the rest of the horse...

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I want the Tournament. I did not like Campaign . UT3 should have the Tournament Ladder. This time with all the main game types. DC, TDM, CTF, vCTF, WARfare, ASSault, DOM, and BR. Format should be similar to the UT2K4 ladder, but permit any ladder to be available for play at any time.

hi-ban

"Building Better Worlds"
Nov 1, 2005
LV-426
The tournament ladder is what we all miss from UT. Anyway, i doubt they will include it in the expansion... they will surely finish the "Unfinished" story mode instead...

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Yea, those tutorials were fun. Especially DeathMatch ;)
And UT2004 has "Hold this position" as well. Extremely useful in Invasion, if you want your bots to camp around a good place.
But it doesn't work well at all. EPIC never finished the code or something cause whenever you tell the bots in 2k4 to hold they just stand there until they run out of ammo at which point they either continue standing there and spam the shieldgun or they piss off to find ammo and don't bother coming back, OR they just say "Fu{k this!" and follow me around. It is really frustrating when I tell them to hold and they cover instead.
And in 2k4 you can't tell all your bots to hold at the same time like you could in ut1.

But THEN you have to put up with the crappy cover system. I mean, i can tell a 2k4 bot to cover and all it will do is follow me around and stare at me, even if it is getting whooped by rockets it will just stand there like a retarded n00b and point it's gun at my face. EPIC really dropped the ball in regards to the 2k4 bots. UT99 bots were the best. I can't really comment on UT3's bots because i've never had the motivation to actually try and order them around.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
even if it is getting whooped by rockets it will just stand there like a retarded n00b and point it's gun at my face.

Hmm, you must see UT2003 bots performing in Capture the Flag then ;) They never turn around and defend they either try and kill everyone before going back or just run with their backs turned at the enemies. Not a good decision...

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
I dunno, i just find the ut99 bots to be the most solid of the bunch. They may not be the smartest, but they are the most solid.

I don't know. The pathing was buggy as hell. When I was mapping, the bots were an endless source of amusement and frustration when testing path nodes. When UT2004 came out though, AI just a got a lot more complex with more detailed objectives and vehicles.

I hate to say it, but ultimately, I think the the Locust AI in Gears 2 is amongst the best AI Epic has created to date. I'll probably get a lot of flak for that.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I don't know about customizability but the UC2 bots performed very well and they knew how to follow orders.
I only wish their sniping ability would have been toned down a bit and the so-called god-like difficulty should have been masterful and there should have been one or maybe even two notches above it.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
UC2 had solid AI. The one major improvement in UT AI since UT99 though has been use of the translocator. UT99 bots never used it unless they actually had to use it to get to a hard to reach place. At least the more recent AI actually uses it in somewhat of an approximation a human player does. In UT99, you could spend hours pathing xloc nodes and still end up with bots that would sit there and loop back and forth between xloc nodes. Very irritating. Using it for quicker travel seems to be inherent in the current AI.