Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
I didn't get UT2003 or UT2004 myself till years after they got released just to see how they messed it up there. I bet Epic didn't get any money from those copies either.

As for any further titles PC should of course get the top priority over anything but the PC platform dropped off their list of priorities long ago. If they focus on any one platform it'll be probably be the Xbox 360. Any PC sales just happen to be a bonus.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
I didn't get UT2003 or UT2004 myself till years after they got released just to see how they messed it up there. I bet Epic didn't get any money from those copies either.

As for any further titles PC should of course get the top priority over anything but the PC platform dropped off their list of priorities long ago. If they focus on any one platform it'll be probably be the Xbox 360. Any PC sales just happen to be a bonus.

God I hope not. I've bought 2 XBOX'S and they both pooped out on me with the red ring of death.:(

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
I don't get these people that are saying they wouldn't buy the UT3 expansion if it offered as much polish and content as UT2004 did. I think UT2004 was completely worth the money since it brought a vast amount of new content, fixes, and the content of UT2003; basically you were getting two games for the price of one plus a mail in rebate (If you owned UT2003). Anyways, built in IRC client for the UT3 expansion would be nice, but I highly doubt that would happen.

What good content did Epic themself add to UT2004, without thirdparty content?

UT2004 didnt really fix anything it added Onslaught and allowed people to ignore 2/3 of the things Epic didnt bother to fix and Onslaught had its fair share of problems aswell, wich most was clearly pointed out during the Demo and nothing happened same with the Demo of UT3...

Nothing happened

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I don't know, if I was Epic, I'd learn by now that UT/Unreal based games on consoles just don't sell well. They even said they like to focus the development of a game on one platform so it can be the best i can be. The UT/Unreal fan base is on the PC, not consoles.
I hope you're trolling. D:

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
What good content did Epic themself add to UT2004, without thirdparty content?

UT2004 didnt really fix anything it added Onslaught and allowed people to ignore 2/3 of the things Epic didnt bother to fix and Onslaught had its fair share of problems aswell, wich most was clearly pointed out during the Demo and nothing happened same with the Demo of UT3...

Nothing happened

Why does it matter what content Epic does or doesn't make ? Who Cares..unless your some extreme fanboy that will only be satisfied if Epic themselves created it. UT2004 did add a lot of content and got praised for it (the content was not created by Epic entirely, but is that a problem ? No). Can you list me some of the nit picking problems you speak of that were not fixed ? I want a 2/3 ratio list to. Honestly, even with your post, I still don't get why some people on here don't want a UT2004 equivalent of an expansion considering what it offered.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I think his point is that Epic kinda sucks at what they do now. UT2004 was what it was because of all the third-party content (ie almost everything that was added from UT2003) being good. Thus, without third-party stuff, how can we have any assurance at all that the UT3 expansion will be good?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well one thing Im pretty certain on is this expansion will be centered around PC then moved over to consoles if possible. I really dont see where making an expansion comes in, in regards to console gaming at all. Theres plenty of other words like pay DLC for eg which mean a very similar thing, Im kinda using common terms out of Epic to gauge what this "expansion" is all about.

We could very well end up with a UT4 in the end, after all UT1 started as a botpack didnt it :p

Im fairly certain that disc swapping not being an issue on PC will come into play when choosing which platforms to support with an expansion. As I said though UT started out as a botpack so this could end up a larger pay DLC piece, perhaps 1 part of 2 pay DLC's or it might console might miss out entirely as a HDD requirement might not go over so well..

Still cant believe console makers have the nerve to pimp 10yr old hdd's for quadruple what they are worth :eek:

Anyways, there might be some negativity around this game and I actually got told the other day we shouldnt play it simply cause its not popular (pop-gaming here we come :lol:) I still enjoy DM, CTF and the like. I dont require coop but its a nice touch if the developer wants to add alittle more (nazi zombies) Infact its gone so far Im missing out on team based MP (PvP) because of all the coop action.

I do think some people are alittle hard on Epic but most arnt saying anything about this game thats not getting said about other popular games as well. As long as people are spittin it real thats all that matters, no need to get bent out of shape unless its straight up offensive.

I enjoy UT3, do I think it could be better? Yeah I do! Then again I might have set my expectations too high, Epic isnt a small company anymore so to me the way GoW and UT3 shipped on PC is pretty unacceptable. There were bugs which it shouldnt have been there at all for a gold disc.

If this expansion can get some more people buying purely because its a patched up UT3, I guess thats a good thing but those of us who paid the full release price for the CE are probably wanting alittle more. Theres still parts of the source totally undocumented by Epic so going into an expansion I still have no clue what to expect from updated source in regards to porting my code.

Having had to port some from 2k4 and from 2k3->2k4 I might even be happy to stick with UT3, a UI enhancement is good (who uses it anyways?) but I think there will need to be more to it then that. UT3 was cross platform developed much like 2k3/UC, perhaps even more so, which I do believe will get in the way of refining UT3 on PC as an expansion.

Im just so up in the air, honestly I could go on happily modding if Epic didnt make the announcement and now its another waiting game *sigh*

I see UE3 lasting a fair old while, it wouldnt surprise me if half of Epics licensee's dont move over to UE4 when its on the table for the simple fact is they'll have codebases built up for the previous version which require no work to get up to par.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I think his point is that Epic kinda sucks at what they do now. UT2004 was what it was because of all the third-party content (ie almost everything that was added from UT2003) being good. Thus, without third-party stuff, how can we have any assurance at all that the UT3 expansion will be good?

I always thought that most of the new dm maps were crap in UT2004.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Epic maps in UT3 were overall pretty good. Bio and Fearless are sort of half-baked, Deimos is novelty/eyecandy, HeatRay is fabulous aside from the gimmicky DW (they should have kismeted something to turn everyone against the DW while it's in use tbh) -- with those exceptions all the DMs are just fine, and a few (Sentinel, Defiance) are even would-be classics IMO. Can't speak as much to other game types' maps, but overall I think they scored high marks with at least 2/3 of their maps, and decent on 1/4.

That said, some of the custom content is just as good as Epic's best, maybe even better. But at least in terms of content, I don't think Epic kinda sucks at what they do at all. Project management, however....:hmm:

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
I always thought that most of the new dm maps were crap in UT2004.

I find 80% of the dm/tdm/vctf maps in UT3 crap as well. The same recycled grey space age theme is used in the majority of the maps. The maps that looked good played bad.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Epic maps in UT3 were overall pretty good. Bio and Fearless are sort of half-baked, Deimos is novelty/eyecandy, HeatRay is fabulous aside from the gimmicky DW (they should have kismeted something to turn everyone against the DW while it's in use tbh) -- with those exceptions all the DMs are just fine, and a few (Sentinel, Defiance) are even would-be classics IMO....

I think Fearless is a great DM/TDM map. Some don't like the Invul and no Shock, but that's no biggie to me. Makes the map more interesting, and lazy ppl can't just lay back and use Shock Combos all the time.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I find 80% of the dm/tdm/vctf maps in UT3 crap as well. The same recycled grey space age theme is used in the majority of the maps. The maps that looked good played bad.

No, but the new dm maps (and BR/CTF maybe too though, although BR was crappy already at final UT2003) that were introduced in ut2004 (not to mention dm as itself didn't have any real flow and was worse than ut2003 as gametype and slow as hell) were simply crap, there were recycled ut2003 and bonuspack maps plus some previously officially unreleased UT2003 maps, but that doesn't change that they were crap (the new ones) and all had the same or simmilar shapes or gameplay, which was as bland as some half life dm stuff and also these dm maps were not done by original team as well.
Oh and also it is sad that probably the most fun map was dm-deck17, which is by the way originally custom map for UT2003, with few changes in UT2004, such as jumpboots are not there in ut2004 version, etc. and music is different(I liked the UT2003 version music map better, which was straight from the map author and not KR's crap)...
It's really sad for me.....
All retail UT3 maps are far better than that...
The UT2004 new maps lacked anything interesting, in terms of both visuals and gameplay, they were all this..."how to call it" stuff. They simply didn't have a real soul...

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
You do know its just a matter of one's opinion though right? The maps looked good for the engine they were made with, some of my favorite maps are from UT2004.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
I've never been a fan of UT3 level design. Too many static meshes and blocking volumes get in the way for my tastes. The monochromatic look didn't help much either.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
rAt.8^].bAg;2225583 said:
I think Fearless is a great DM/TDM map. Some don't like the Invul and no Shock, but that's no biggie to me. Makes the map more interesting, and lazy ppl can't just lay back and use Shock Combos all the time.

Agreed, maybe thats why people dont like it cause they have to learn to use the hammer and they dont get their beloved shock. It was played a fair bit when UT3 was first released, bit of mayhem though servers with 16 player counts on fearless and everyone would join up to the server capacity.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
invul isn't so bad since you've got the option of alt-IH, which is kind of fun. I don't find Fearless to suffer for that, or for the lack of Shock, however. It's more the uninspired geometry—big circle with a few staircases and a couple lifts in the center, whoop-tee-do. Barely two grades better than Morbias, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.