UE2 - UT2kX super bright light woooo,.:eek:

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
ok on a lot of the good level you see that the neares to the light there is a really bright area near the light mesh, well (here it comes)how do u do that. iv copy and pasted 1 and got my own light and made every thing the same but still dosnt work. could any of u help?:eek:
ps noticed i used the idea icon for a light,he he is should get a nobel prize for that

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2005
My good deed for the day.. ;)

It's a classic lighting technique. One very bright light with short radius at the lightsource texture/ static mesh, and one or more filler lights with bigger radius, but darker.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
yes but how do you get that light extremely bright ive all reddy compied all the propeties off a super bright light but it still doesnt give the same effect

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
If you are looking for what I think you are do a search on Unreal Wiki for Coronas This gives the really white"aura" type affect you see on some lights in 2k4... you know where it gets smaller as you get closer. The Corona is a combination of a light and a texture.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
I have one more problem there are many lights which leave a shadow below them and it does not get effected by other lights. Any tips?

Edit:
And i do not know how to upload screenshots so i can show you.

Last edited:

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
I have one more problem there are many lights which leave a shadow below them and it does not get effected by other lights. Any tips?

Not sure exactly what you mean by this. Im assuming you mean the static mesh "light source"... if thats the case check if its set to cast shadows (been a while since I mapped for 2k4 so Im not positive but I think its something like bAllowShadows= )

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
no staticmeshes the actual light is making a shadow And i do not know how to upload screenshots so i can't show you, untill someone shows me.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
In the Reply to Thread page of the forum, you will see an option Manage Attachments.

Save your screenshot as a small jpeg, bmp or zip and use that option to upload the screenshot as an attachment to your post. We can then download it and view it.

A screenshot does not have to be inline.

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
Check the light actors properties for the same then.. by default its set to not cast shadows and be hidden in game... it will be under Actor Properties > Display if I remember rightly.

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
HERE are the screen shots:)

Attachments

• pictcha.jpg
    pictcha.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
  • pictcha2.jpg
    pictcha2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 8
  • pictcha3.jpg
    pictcha3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 8

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I've tried setting a light to cast a shadow and it doesn't seem to do so even if I put another light directly above it.

What setting do you have for the light map on the surface that shows the "shadow"? To get a shadow that sharp the light map would have to be set at something like 1 or 2 and yet the visible shadows elsewhere on the floors look much softer than that.

For that kind of shadow to be cast by those lights there would have to be another light directly above them and none are shown in the screenshots.

Did these lights come from another map or did you create them directly in the current map?

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
1. the light map for that surface is set to 1 (for reasons on another part of the actual surface ).
2. i made the lights my self
3. no there is no light above it

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
1. the light map for that surface is set to 1 (for reasons on another part of the actual surface ).
2. i made the lights my self
3. no there is no light above it

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
OK. It might be interesting to see what happens when you change the light map setting to (say) 128.

Also, does this show up in the editor as well as in game?

Have you changed the light map compression (under Build-Build options)? If you have not done so then try changing the compression to see if you still see the effect.

Can we see a screenshot showing the Display settings under the properties for the light?

And lastly (for now:)), are you running the latest and greatest drivers for your video card?

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
here is my setting, sorry for the bad quality

Attachments

• pictcha 4.jpg
    pictcha 4.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: