One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Two Years Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

That might fit for the News section, but I don't think I'm allowed to post news :)

Anyway, here's what Phoronix website has posted on the issue:

It was one year ago to the day that Unreal Tournament 3 had shipped in North America. This title created by Epic Games was originally supposed to come with the Linux binaries on the game's DVD but that didn't happen and the UT3 Linux server arrived a month late. It's now one year down the road and there still is no UT3 Linux client binary or any sign of when one may come. It was last August when Epic's Mark Rein confirmed Unreal Tournament 3 on Linux.

This situation has left many Linux gamers rightfully upset and you can read many more comments about this situation in this forum thread.

Source: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njg2NQ

For those who don't know, Phoronix is the central of Linux graphics. They also run performance tests, and they still use UT2004 demo for testing: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=2

+1 for the Unreal series! :) Yet the lack of UT3 on native Linux might soon get -1 for it...

Last edited:

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Ryan is still working on it. I doubt it will be released before the expansion. More likely it along with the MAC port will be released with the expansion. Maybe spring '09?

There were some teasing screenshots posted in Sept of them both, but the links are bad now.

MaestroMaus

Jul 22, 2008
Don't open your eyes. Epic can do no wrong.

What's that supposed to mean? If you refer to the fact that some people still hope for the Linux/Mac client, then you can't blame them. There aren't much games available for Linux/Mac right now. Also, their are a lot of people who trusted Epic and bought a copy because of the promised client. I can imagine they still want to play it, even though the bad experience, because they already bought it. I do think most people on Linux/Mac will be more carefull next time.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Actually, such a thing is called scamming: selling people something and not delivering.

If I were the linux users that bought a disk for this, I'd ask for a full refund if anything.
If unsuccessfull, take action.
Regardless of userbase size, Epic promised that the Linux client would be on the disk at launch. It wasn't.
Instead of fixing this ASAP, they get ONE guy to work on it, who hasn't finished work a year later. In the mean time they release a full sequel to another series and work on the expansion to the original game.
Please explain to me why the linux users would even WANT the client?

Even if this is not somehow illegal, it's VERY bad business practice.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Pretty sure Tim Sweeny said in an interview like say 3yrs ago that there wasnt going to be a 64bit version.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Could be because they felt it wasnt needed with multi-core support, alot of people at the time were and still are using a 32bit OS, plus the whole need to maintain two exe's post release.

Im sure eventually we can drop the 32bit stuff entirely and go soley 64bit, now isnt that time so its just extra overhead costs.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
More news about more lack of the Linux client for UT3!

A Prey Update For Linux, But Still No UT3

<...>
What failed to be mentioned in Ryan's update was any word of Unreal Tournament 3 on Linux. It has been 463 days since this video game was released in North America for Windows, and there remains no sign of when it's coming for Linux. At first there was a chance the UT3 Linux binary would even ship on the game's DVD, but then it was promised to be made available for download after the game's release. Then there was some sort of legal troubles with Unreal Tournament 3 and Linux, which to this day remains a mystery...

Last September though he showed screenshots of the game on Linux, but failed to provide anymore details. Even on the one-year anniversary there were no details available. Needless to say, we still have no details today.

Whatever the situation is with Unreal Tournament 3, it's blasphemous to let Linux customers of Epic Games just sit in the dark. Linux will not surpass Windows in popularity or market-share unless it is able to attain more native games at release-time, and acts like these pulled by Epic Games will not get this platform anywhere.
Source (and links): http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzA4Mg

And missed that, but there was a hopeful sign of the client earlier: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcyOQ

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
I suspect the Linux and MAC ports are on hold for some reason. If they were canceled for some reason, do you think epic would even announce it? Very doubtful.

I made the right decision and built an XP_64 machine for the game. I will still install the Linux port on my old UT2K4 machine if it ever comes out. But, since there is no xfire for Linux, not sure if I will switch over.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I think some of the mod authors noted that more of the game is compiled as native C++ for optimization? Maybe this is part of the problem?