locked thread at Epic..."throw us a bone"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dirtyharry

Jun 11, 2008
Massachusetts
It amazes me, not really, but after the great announcement of the upcoming Expansion for UT3, I post a simple question at the Epic Forum asking for an update or description of the expansion, or if any patches are in the works and without a word, "Locked"

I believe we all invested a lot of time and money in UT3 and have been very patient with the fixes, the least they could do is keep whats left of the community informed, rather than alienating us....

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, but they just haven't communicated game info through forums for years. I doubt they're going to start doing it now. I'm not sure why, to be honest, because lots of developers are still very interactive with their official forums and even use them to drop bits of information about the game in-progress.

Epic's new philosophy seems to be to make as big of a media splash as possible when announcing new information. While it certainly tends to get the word out there to a more mainstream audience, it does leave the immediate fan base feeling a bit disconnected, imo.

To be fair, when we asked Epic to participate in an IRC chat about UT3, just before release, they really showed up in force and it turned out to be a terrific and informative event. That just seems to be the exception now more than the norm.

On the flip-side, I'm fairly sure that the ones that did try to interact with forum users simply got tired of the abuse.

In73gr4L

Jan 22, 2008
On the flip-side, I'm fairly sure that the ones that did try to interact with forum users simply got tired of the abuse.

Exactly. What else can be expected from Epic when you have a bunch of old guys waahing that they can't adjust the most trivial of settings like a pack of prepubescent 10 year olds?

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
forum whining goes with the territory and i doubt many developers care about it. they probably laugh about it more likely. and im sure we'll get some info sooner or later... what did you expect? enjoy the MSUC stuff while its out and lets hope for the best :)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I guess they just dont like to be hounded for info, that could get just as annoying as poorly worded complaints and flames. If they want to tell us, they will so you'll just have to hang in there. A locked thread over at Epic forums seems to be more of a "no comment" rather than typing up a proper reply then locking the thread. Things can go sour in a thread like that rather quickly and if they do release alittle info you can guarantee people will get greedy and want to know more.

Hal's got it pretty straight, that doesnt mean I like how Epic deals with people most of the time but theres not much we can do about it. I tend to avoid the official forums as much as I can these days just because finding the gems is getting harder and harder :eek:

Last edited:

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
elmuerte;WarTourist said:
Nothing is sometimes the right thing to do, but always a smart thing to say :).
QFT ;)
I've had to find this out the had way.

It's only natural that people will want to know more info on the upcoming expansion. Hoverer it seems like no matter what Epic announces relating to UT3 there's always to be a large amount of whiners following close behind drown it.
Honestly I think they just got sick of it.

Anyway I don't go over the the official forums much these day either. Too depressing.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
He doubts it holds much truth. What don't you get?

"it"? You mean that statement from WarTourist? It's not a factual statement, it's more like a life lesson, or advice. It's like when you get arrested by a cop and he says: "You have the right to remain silent, everything you say can and will be used against you." The smart thing is to shut up.

In case of WarTourist's statement. When you don't say anything, people can not (mis)interpret it. There is also nothing people can hold against you.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Really? Can you elaborate on that?

When your wife/girlfreind ask you "do thease pants make me look fat?", saying nothing is NOT the right thing to do! :lol:

In this case, its probably smart of Epic to not give any details at this time, as you never know if something might change before they are ready to release it, but a simple "Sorry guy's, we're not ready to give out any details yet" would probably work better than a wall of silense and locking threads.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
better than a ban i guess

It amazes me, not really, but after the great announcement of the upcoming Expansion for UT3, I post a simple question at the Epic Forum asking for an update or description of the expansion, or if any patches are in the works and without a word, "Locked"

I believe we all invested a lot of time and money in UT3 and have been very patient with the fixes, the least they could do is keep whats left of the community informed, rather than alienating us....

:lol: Not surprised in the least.I am surprised though that people still go to their forums and actually try to speak somewhat freely or even get info.They even try to stop forums members from helping one another should they feel the subject is not to their liking.It's stroke the ego or remain silent.

Now that war's gone I think the bans should drop some,but it's too late for that.The pc game flopped for the most part imho and I'm sure they are still crabasses about it.Go back after the expansion is released and try give'm any honest,fair,mature,constructive criticism and see where it gets ya.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
People also tend to think you don't give three sh!ts about keeping them as your customers.
Who are these people? Using weasel words is synonymous to making stuff up.

There is a fine line between saying nothing and telling everything. :) Nothing is too little, everything is too much. And everything combined with 'too' is bad.

Something is often too much also. You (in this case Epic) have to choose your words very carefully. So saying nothing is better, less damage to control.

When your wife/girlfreind ask you "do thease pants make me look fat?", saying nothing is NOT the right thing to do! :lol:

Answering that question is not the right thing to do. Telling the truth isn't the right thing either, and lying is completely wrong. So it doesn't matter, you lose anyway.