The "Major UT3 Expansion"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What will the "Major UT3 Expansion" be?

• Total voters

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Since when do I need an army to want a style of gameplay.

There's already a mutator for that gameplay style, anyway.

I do hope that if they ever go back to that, they put it under a new / different branding. I'm not so inconsiderate to want it gone, because I know there are some heretics, erm, community members who are attached to it; I just don't want it replacing proper UT gameplay.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There's already a mutator for that gameplay style, anyway.

I do hope that if they ever go back to that, they put it under a new / different branding. I'm not so inconsiderate to want it gone, because I know there are some heretics, erm, community members who are attached to it; I just don't want it replacing proper UT gameplay.
They did, it's called Unreal Championship. :)

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I doubt that they'll change the style of gameplay much, seeing as that would probably require rewriting much of the existing code, as well as writing more.

Sep 24, 2005
Since you want a developer to actually invest time in remaking broken gameplay.

Since even the admins can't stop whining about UT2K4, it's ok for everyone else to whine about other UTs, right?

Here a few argument against all major UTs:

UT99: broken lock-down Minigun, high RoF Sniper Rifle

UT2K4: Adrenaline, hitscan gameplay

UT3: Warfare= ****ty Onslaught, crappy UI, buggy, missing gametypes, no useful sniper rifle, slow gameplay...

:rolleyes:

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Every UT has a flaw. So Calm down about it.

If you'd installed the UT3 patches as they arrived you'll know it is slowly getting better. If you worry about the UI that much then make your own.

The expansion should be a new gametype no doubt, give us something more to play with. It may include some small mutators too. I don't think, however that they'll go back and pull UT2004 stuff forward. If you want to the EULA will allow you.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Since even the admins can't stop whining about UT2K4, it's ok for everyone else to whine about other UTs, right?

Here a few argument against all major UTs:

UT99: broken lock-down Minigun, high RoF Sniper Rifle

UT2K4: Adrenaline, hitscan gameplay

UT3: Warfare= ****ty Onslaught, crappy UI, buggy, missing gametypes, no useful sniper rifle, slow gameplay...

-1. You fail. UT mini still has the best feel of the bunch. As for the high ROF sniper rifle, go play Zark arms and then you'll find out what high ROF really is. I never had a problem with stock UT sniper and Zark arms was a lot of fun. And the UT3 sniper is useful, much more so than 2k3/2k4 LG.

I do agree with missing game types in UT3.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
-1. You fail. UT mini still has the best feel of the bunch. As for the high ROF sniper rifle, go play Zark arms and then you'll find out what high ROF really is.

Yeah, because that is a good comparison! :rolleyes:

The difference between regular snipers and Zark sniper is of quite another scale than the subtle tweaks that made the gameplay of UT3 so much less hitscan-dominated than 2k4's.

Btw, one thing that confused me is this: isn't it to be expected that most games today are very hitscan-centered? I mean, mouse technology has improved tenfold since UT and Q3 were released, what else did you expect?
Add to this the larger screens available today, players that have grown up on these games and have practiced twitch aim for 5+ years, etc..

I think it's a bit stupid to blame it all on the game.

Last edited:

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
I do agree that UT3 is about Warfare, since that's were the small player base exists.The only thing UT3 has going for it is the improvement in vehicle control over UT2K4. In UT2K4 the movement in vehicles was horrible especially in the manta. The only gametype I bother playing or find fun nowadays if ICTF and luckily there are a couple of active ICTF servers.

But other than that, yeah the UI sucks, it's missing game types, and the hitscan is so shotty the sniper rifle is near useless in active combat, I miss the days of the lightening gun paired with the hitscan of 2K4.

I voted a 2k4-like expansion 'cause I'm thinking that the development team has to have a LOT more say in how this turns out, rather than having to rush a release out the door for the marketing/money mongering goons.

As badly as I think UT3 turned out, I know some of the guys at Epic HAVE to have been looking at it and saying "damnit I WANT to fix these things but I've got this GoW thing to work on that pays the bills in the meantime.."

...I hope. :D

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
You know, I really only want 1 thing out of this "Major UT3 Expansion" and thats better than what we got now at all costs. It doesnt matter how its done or who does it!

to elborate I feel UT2k4-like expansion might be the way to go but a return of UT2k4 isnt and even though the UI needs some work, we dont need a complete rewrite of the entire thing :cool:

Sep 24, 2005
-1. You fail. UT mini still has the best feel of the bunch. As for the high ROF sniper rifle, go play Zark arms and then you'll find out what high ROF really is. I never had a problem with stock UT sniper and Zark arms was a lot of fun. And the UT3 sniper is useful, much more so than 2k3/2k4 LG.

I do agree with missing game types in UT3.

I see no reason to argue with you. You missed the point.