Sony Pays off EA to make games look similar

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Got my hands on this about 1 month old conversation. Nothing amazing, but still quite funny that this sort of thing is happening.
I cut the start of the conversation off and added to the end, as it's not really relevant, but it does kind of show that this is genuine.

I say:
s'why ya'll should just build for PC and then scale down! *grin*
EA employee says:
haha
EA employee says:
actually what seems to be the plan now is to build for the weakest link first (ie PS3) and then not scale up to the other platforms
I say:
wtf
I say:
i mean i see that takes the work time away.. but
EA employee says:
we had to slash our particle budget on x360 since the ps3 can only hack a fraction of what the x360 can handle and it seems we got paid off by sony to not make the game look better on x360 than on ps3

I say:
whoa
EA employee says:
such BS
I say:
whoa
I say:
dude speechless
I say:
that's so lame
I say:
that's so lame by sony it's quite funny actually
EA employee says:
no, it's lame that EA agreed to do that!
I say:
heh true

EA employee says:
and that they mandate that the game looks the same on both platforms (ie not better on the 360)
EA employee says:
and they want to make the ps3 the primary dev platform for the next one
EA employee says:
working with the ps3 is ****e!
EA employee says:
compared to the 360
I say:
so i hear
I say:
and read
EA employee says:
hehehe
EA employee says:
i mean its aii but the 360 just works so much easier and better
EA employee says:
the tools kill sony's
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39870.html
I say:
this is the one i was just talking about at the start of the convo
EA employee says:
ahhhhhhh
EA employee says:
yeah this is a new one
EA employee says:
all footage is in game
EA employee says:
and my ***** ******* effect is in there
I say:
ALL 4 seconds of it?
EA employee says:
heheh yeah
I say:
you guys use depth of field ingame?
EA employee says:
yup
EA employee says:
not while driving but in cutscenes etc
I say:
so you did the ******** **** ******?
EA employee says:
indeed
EA employee says:
and without any form of ***** ******** tech
I say:
shame theres sheering in the vid. Where the v-sync
EA employee says:
its in now!!!!
EA employee says:
we have v-sync for the first time ever
EA employee says:
finally made our rendering multithreaded
EA employee says:
so we had a big jump in fps
EA employee says:
hitting over 30fps all the time
EA employee says:
which is a NFS first
I say:
nice
EA employee says:
so we now have the game locked to 30fps with v-sync on
I say:
burnout paradise is doing 60 apparently
EA employee says:
yeah
EA employee says:
grrrr
EA employee says:
doesnt look as nice as nfs tho
EA employee says:
plus they just re-wrote all their tech
EA employee says:
for paradise

EA employee says:
so they were able to redo a lot of stuff (and they have more than a year for their game)

EA employee says:
yeyeyeyeye

EA employee says:
those days are gone now!
EA employee says:
;()

I say:
so it uses mutiple threads on PC?
I say:
also on the consoles?
EA employee says:
heheh that i do not know
EA employee says:
it does on x360 and ps3
EA employee says:
pc not sure
EA employee says:
maybe...
EA employee says:
interetsing question actually
EA employee says:
but on pc iots a lot harder cause you dont know how many cores a person has so you have to have a solution for each config which is tougher than on concoles

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Take this to a console-oriented site like N4G, and they'll flip. Hahahaha, I'd love to see it frankly.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
So does anyone make any money off games anymore or do they just throw large lumps of money around so they can be "the in thing"?

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Removed to hide the identity of the employee.
I guess if it was left in, employers could easily identify who said the above.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So where is the source to this conversation Mr. Dub?? If you have seen ps3 exclusive(rare) games you would know that its perfectly capable of doing what the 360 can do. Its just laziness on the developers side when all is said and done. Take last years Madden for example. 60 fps for the 360 vs 30 fps for the ps3. And what was EA's answer??? Its so much harder to program for the ps3 bitch bitch moan moan. Yet this years Madden renders at 60fps for both versions. Same can be said for the ps2, but we didnt hear AS much bitching about that and it produced some pretty damn fine titles.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Same can be said for the ps2, but we didnt hear AS much bitching about that and it produced some pretty damn fine titles.

Less reason to bitch because of the fact that the payoff was so good because of the amount of installed units.

PS3 is the hardest to program for (supposedly) and has the smallest user base of the three consoles. More work for less profit = whign.

Sony should just provide complimentary cheese supplies with the dev kits.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Take last years Madden for example. 60 fps for the 360 vs 30 fps for the ps3. And what was EA's answer??? Its so much harder to program for the ps3 bitch bitch moan moan. Yet this years Madden renders at 60fps for both versions.

I dunno, to me that doesn't sound like a good example, as to me that says that it's taken the devs longer to get to grips with the Sony toolkit than it has with the MS 360 toolkit. Though obviously the devs have had more time to get to grips with the MS360 toolkit, generally speaking.

You must have a PS3, I take it :)
[edit] you do.

Also, this is not about the inferiority of either platform (here in this example it's only about some particles not looking the same), but about the practices of two huge companies.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
the advantage the 360 has is that it still is a pc. There's no real new tech to learn provided you are at least somewhat familliar with pc-software development.

Sony ... they have a weird processor and a totally alien environment (any attempt at copying/emulationg Windows would result in lawsuits ... ).

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
PS3 is the hardest to program for (supposedly) and has the smallest user base of the three consoles. More work for less profit = whign.

According to a report a few months ago, EA's biggest source of income in 2008 is the PS3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=202826 (the link in the article seems to be dead though)

I'd say that's more than enough reason for them to put in the extra work needed to optimize their games properly on the PS3. Not that I care personally, I usually stay clear of EA games developed in-house.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Take this to a console-oriented site like N4G, and they'll flip. Hahahaha, I'd love to see it frankly.

Precisely why I didn't :) Those rabbid console fanboys can't see past the end of their own noses.

This is about corporate practice. This isn't about what one console can or can't achieve.

Sony apparently wants the games to look the same - regardless of what it takes. I've compared it to Microsoft paying off a company who's making a game on both platforms, to not use the PS3's full blu-ray storage and make sure that they only use as much disk space as is available on the Xbox 360's DVDs, for example.

So in the above case. The devs managed to get some extra particles into the game which wasn't possible for them (for what ever reason) on the PS3. But god forbid that happen! :)

Devs should be able to take advantage of each platforms fortes - even if that means that one platform has a slight advantage in one area and one platform in another.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Devs should be able to take advantage of each platforms fortes - even if that means that one platform has a slight advantage in one area and one platform in another.

Yeah exactly, its shouldnt be about which publisher/console maker has the biggest wang! Wish we could take gaming back and make it about the games and gamers :cool:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Business is business guys, they have to take the payoff to afford baby formula, just like Epic can't release GoW2 PC.