And I thought I was a snobby tube amp owner...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Tube amps sound really nice and warm, but are sooooo expensive to maintain. From what I have read, you have to replace the tubes periodically or you loose quality or something like that.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Tube amps sound really nice and warm, but are sooooo expensive to maintain. From what I have read, you have to replace the tubes periodically or you loose quality or something like that.

yea, they are relatively expensive, but the average 12ax7 is like $18, those went for $750 each! The expensive matched pairs are usually for the power amp section and those typically run around $50. I can retube my entire amp with decent tubes for under $200.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Yeah, I am planning on building a new hi-fi setup once I move.

So are you playing records, or CDs? Records are great, but again they are sooooo difficult to maintain. Also, I am really impressed with upscaled CDs. I am guessing if you are into hi-fi stuff, you own a copy of Jazz At the Pawn Shop. I got the Japanese XRCD of it, and it's amazing! So many little details you can hear in the background. It's not the greatest performance, but it's by far the cleanest recording I have ever heard.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
In the guitar amp world most reputable tube dealer sell nothing but matched sets. I have a matched set of JJ Electronic Tubes (3 pre, 2 power) that cost less than $75.00.

The life of a tube is determined by that amount of use and the power level you run them at.

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
So are you playing records, or CDs?

actually I buy tubes for my guitar amps, I refuse to use solid-state amps. some SS guitar amps are really good, but they just can't get the same tone and overdrive that a kickass tube amp can...

It's funny you ask tho... when I was a kid I picked up a (music) tube amplifier at a garage sale. I think it was a heathkit. it sounded REALLY good. it sounded alive and almost organic. my brother and his friends laughed at it since it wasn't the "cool" thing. also, it was mono. anyways.... i ended up getting a "normal" stereo that was ok for the time, but I always thought it was lacking something. turns out I probably should've hung onto it...

From what I have read, you have to replace the tubes periodically or you loose quality or something like that.
that most likely true for standard audio. but for my guitar; preamp tubes have more crunch/distortion when they're old and about to die. i hate replacing them, my amp always has less crunch and more brightness afterwards. power tubes are another story, new ones bring new life to the amp...

In the guitar amp world most reputable tube dealer sell nothing but matched sets. I have a matched set of JJ Electronic Tubes (3 pre, 2 power) that cost less than $75.00.
using 6l6's?

I've heard JJ's are pretty good. I've been using mesa power tubes, since I know they're perfect for my boogies. MB's are hardwired for their bias, so I really just trust them in the power area. for preamps I recently got some mullard reissues. you should give them a shot if you need 12ax7's... the mullard RI's have a pretty flat eq response and doesn't add too much brightness like some tubes do. I still need to try these I got...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370055466565
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370070145441
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370070134971

Last edited:

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Ah, I've got a '65 Fender Twin Reverb re-issue.... in all BLONDE... it is beautiful and the tone that comes out of that thing is AMAZING. I got it not 3 months ago and since then my life has been wonderful. My skill has increased tenfold. I'm playing a Fender Jaguar through it and I've got a Voodoo Labs SUPERFUZZ pedal (true bypass) in case I want to get gritty. I can go from surfy Ventures style to sixties fuzzy psych in one stomp! It's absolutely nasty and I loves it.

Speaking of the Ventures, if anyone cares, I have their 1966 film of them playing live throughout one of their many Japanese tours. The narration is all in Japanese but the actual performances are AMAZING. Fender tube FTW.

Okay sorry, here's some info on my amp:

85 watts into 4 Ohms
Four 6L6 Groove Tube
Four 12AX7 preamp tubes
Two 12AT7 preamp tubes
2 x 12” 8 Ohm Jensen C-12K speakers

Now I'm definitely thinking about replacing the tubes within 5 months at the most, any recommendations?

Also I was wondering about better speakers... this amp will already blow your head off, but could it possibly get.... *gasp* even BETTER?

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Hmm, I don't understand what the fuss is about with tube amps.
I've tried my fair share, some of the top models, but I just don't really like the sound. If anything, a GOOD solidstate amp sounds better to me than a good valve amp.

Sure, the sound is warmer, I'll give you that. I suppose they produce a less consistent sound (due to not being digital), which adds a bit of authenticity to your playing, but other than that, most tube distortions sound wimpy unless used with pregain pedals, etc. When I'm playing rhythm guitar I don't want a warm sound, I want chugging, sharp distortion sound.
Same goes for lead, unless you're into wailing solos.

Maybe it's just the kind of sound that I prefer, but I'd honestly pick my 500 dollar H&K Matrix 100's sound over any 3000+ dollar valve amp sound. Even if price wasn't a factor.

For the record, I play mostly progrock/progmetal, some trips into neoclassical. The likes of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Porcupine Tree, etc.

Last edited:

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Hmm, I don't understand what the fuss is about with tube amps... When I'm playing rhythm guitar I don't want a warm sound, I want chugging, sharp distortion sound.
Same goes for lead, unless you're into wailing solos... likes of Dream Theater, Symphony X, Porcupine Tree, etc.
ok, first off... what metal bands would you say have the heaviest crunch and at the same time a killer tone? For me it would go to old metallica (master of pups days up thru the black album) and Dream Theater (Images & words). Guess what they BOTH used on those albums? Mesa Boogie MarkIIC+ without any dist/od pedals. you've just played the wrong amps or with the wrong settings, trust me. I'm a hard rock/metal player too and I like a very tight and crunchy sound...

http://www.amptone.com/g153.htm
Metallica's James Hetfield: "Distortion always starts with the amp. Pedals just site on top of the sound. They don't feel like a full part of it, just some fuzz on top. You can fiddle with parametric EQs and all that **** for days, but it still won't have the smooth distortion of an amp. The last time I used a distortion [overdrive] pedal was on Ride the Lightning, and it was hell. It was an Ibanez Tube Screamer like Kirk uses. It really helps his solos cut through, but it puts a ****ty coating on smooth rhythm tones, and it was hard to make it not sound like a pedal. You can recognize Marshall distortion in an instant; that's why I shied away from that and went with MESA/Boogies. I basically use the Boogie's distortion with a non-programmable studio-quality Aphex parametric EQ to fine-tune certain frequencies, dipping out some of the midrange. All my speakers are Celestion Vintage 30s."

http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/jamesamps.html
notes/quotes (from black album)
"We tried a bunch of amps, but I ended up using the same Mesa Boogie Simul-Class Mark II that I've used on the last three albums. In Los Angeles, there are a million amps you can try out, but none of them were up to snuff.... " Guitar World, October 1991

Petrucci...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yUUCRJGdko

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I know they use these often, but hell .. they've got the money. Then why not go for the huge prestige deluxe amps?;)
The Metallica sound isn't really what I'm looking for, but I do agree it fits their music really well.
As for DT, Petrucci's used such a wide variety of amps and pedals it's hard to nail his sound to just the amp. His sound on Images and words is very nice, but that was back when he still used Ibanez guitars. He now uses his own signature Musicman model, which changed the sound considerably. He also changed amps .. I dunno .. at least 5 times? ;)

For instance, SX's Michael Romeo uses a Line 6 Vetta, which is a solidstate modeling amp. Both 'modeling' and 'solidstate' are two words shunned by most guitarists when picking a new amp, but he made it work for him.
I should note that the Vetta is about the most expensive transistor amp money can buy, so I guess it's just a matter of price.

Any tube amp priced 2000 dollars and up is going to sound better than a cheap transitor amp, but that's only logical. Thing is, most amp lines automatically switch to tube once they pass the 1000-dollar mark, so there aren't many top-notch solidstate amps to begin with.

Last edited:

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
The Metallica sound isn't really what I'm looking for, but I do agree it fits their music really well.
maybe not the sound -you're- looking for, but they have anything but a muddy sound...
As for DT, Petrucci's used such a wide variety of amps and pedals it's hard to nail his sound to just the amp.... He also changed amps .. I dunno .. at least 5 times? ;)
Well, I do know this much. Before I&W's he used a boogie mark3, on I&W he used mostly mkIIC+'s (i'm pretty sure) and these days he's using mark4's...

For instance, SX's Michael Romeo uses a Line 6 Vetta, which is a solidstate modeling amp. Both 'modeling' and 'solidstate' are two words shunned by most guitarists when picking a new amp, but he made it work for him.
I'm sure he does. Also dimebage used a solid-state randall and his sound kicked total ass. that said, a lot of his tone ("magic") was in his fingers. I think he could have taken it to the next level tho...
Any tube amp priced 2000 dollars and up is going to sound better than a cheap transitor amp, but that's only logical. Thing is, most amp lines automatically switch to tube once they pass the 1000-dollar mark, so there aren't many top-notch solidstate amps to begin with.
that H&K and you mentioned in a dif thread costs $1600 here in the states. you can get a mark4 for less (or around) that. Also most mark3's are right around $1k. I just picked up a "blue-stripe" m3 with the c+ and r2 mods (with an 8 space rack) for $1200. the time is now to get them tho. as they aged through the 90's their prices/value dropped a bit, but most have realized that the rectifier series just doesn't match the marks. their prices are on the rise now. most of them have held up extraordinarily well. some might need a recap job, but they'll last a LONG time...

One thing that goes for BOTH solid-state and tube amps concerning muddy vs tight crunch... if the tone controls come before the final preamp overdrive stage, turning the lows up at all will usually add muddiness. For amps like that you need to cut the lows totally to zero, dial in the gain, and then use a post-preamp EQ to shape the freq's (typically in the efx loop). Also, a trick dimebag used was to put graphic eq in front of his amp. you crank the mids going into the preamp. this keeps a tight sound while getting compressed/overdriven. Then, after the preamp he would use a (parametric) eq to scoop the mids back out. VERY effective method...

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
that H&K and you mentioned in a dif thread costs $1600 here in the states. you can get a mark4 for less (or around) that. Also most mark3's are right around $1k.

That H&K was probably the switchblade which is also a tube amp, so that's a little irrelevant to the argument at hand;) My current practice/band amp, a Matrix 100 combo, only costs around 500-600 euros.

I am thinking of putting a cab under it though. It sounds awesome, but it's got that typical 'mono' sound that single-speaker setups often have.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
For a secondhand, yeah;)
On that note, I could have had my amp for 150 dollars cheaper if I got it secondhand, but I specifically didn't want that.

Mostly because I've seen how some other people treat their amps at gigs and practice;)

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
any mark series (boogie) will be second hand since they stopped making the m3's in '90(?) and the m4's were discontinued early this year (rumor has it the m5's will be coming out ealry '09) ... that said, most boogie owners take really good care of them. both of mine were used and in excellent condition.hell even if they're abused, they're built like friking tanks and for a very fair price boogie will fix just about anything you send them... I'd take a beat up boogie over a brand new shiny marshall ;)

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
any mark series (boogie) will be second hand since they stopped making the m3's in '90(?) and the m4's were discontinued early this year (rumor has it the m5's will be coming out ealry '09) ... that said, most boogie owners take really good care of them. both of mine were used and in excellent condition.hell even if they're abused, they're built like friking tanks and for a very fair price boogie will fix just about anything you send them... I'd take a beat up boogie over a brand new shiny marshall ;)

Me too, but that's because I really don't like Marshalls;)