Cliff Does Gamespot

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Another day, another dagger in the hearts of PC gamers everywhere. I fully expect Cliff to burn an effigy of a PC in his next interview. Nevertheless, here's the obligatory quote from the interview. (thanks Wander)

According to Bleszinski, Epic Games is drifting away from the PC roots laid by its Unreal and Unreal Tournament games in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. "It's pretty safe to say that Epic is a console-focused company that does still support the PC in other ways, such as Unreal Tournament III coming out on the PC and whatnot," he said. "But Gears of War will remain a console franchise... It's one of those situations where the PC market is so scattered between the different hardware configurations and things like that [that] we'd rather continue to have a console focus as a company."

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I actually agree, Dead Space caught my eye and Im waiting to hear more. With news of Dues Ex 3 though Im just not sure where it'll fit for me, Fallout 3 is certainly on its way (would seem some people are already playin it).

Anyways, Im interested in the comments on all these different configurations since you know there are alot of OS' out there for the PC platform as well (Epic used to support alot in that department) and lets not forget macintosh which similar to bluechip machines has more fixed specs. I just dunno if the problem with the PC is the components, someone brought up something very interesting about UT and how it supported alot more different options than UT3, even UT2004 did :cool:

Still wondering what this "and whatnot" is, perhaps its MSUC!~

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Translation

CliffyBitch: Making a good PC game is too hard for us here at Epic Fails, so we'll focus on pleasing casual console 'tards that don't have any standards. IT PRINTS MONEY HAAHHAH!!111

Sindarin

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 15, 2004
According to Bleszinski, Epic Games is drifting away from the PC roots laid by its Unreal and Unreal Tournament games in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. "It's pretty safe to say that Epic is a console-focused company that does still support the PC in other ways, such as Unreal Tournament III coming out on the PC and whatnot," he said. "But Gears of War will remain a console franchise... It's one of those situations where the PC market is so scattered between the different hardware configurations and things like that [that] we'd rather continue to have a console focus as a company."

It is what it is.

Best of luck to Cliff and Epic.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
With news of Dues Ex 3 though Im just not sure where it'll fit for me

I will check that out for sure! I don't know if I can be anything but disappointed by it, seeing as Deus Ex was the best game I've ever played. But truth be told, I thought the second one was at least objectively a decent game, even if it couldn't hold a candle to the original, so I hope to be at least entertained by DX3.

But it makes me think: can you imagine a game like the original Deus Ex being released to a console market?

You see Jeff Morris telling people that all the best games will be for consoles in the future, we'd better get one, as though the experience is really no different between platforms, and it's irrational prejudice that keeps PC gamers on the PC. But are we really going to see games with such depth and complexity on consoles?

Still wondering what this "and whatnot" is, perhaps its MSUC!~

They've got to do <i>something</i> for PC if they want to be able to sell their console games with the revolutionary capability of user mods, right?

Still, I wonder if there's some kind of big expansion or bonus pack on the way for UT3. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if there was or wasn't. I just hope we find out before I uninstall UT3 to recover precious disk space. I'm thinking of grabbing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. off steam, and I can't fit it right now.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
epic still doesn't understand that their games have done poorly because of the timing of the releases and shoving a consolized UT3 out the door. different hardware configurations? please.

what a lame excuse. epic is just being opportunistic here and wants to rake in the cash on modern consoles. they have not offered a solid release on PC for a while but they blame everything, and everyone else accept themselves. Mike "I'm lost" Capps shows this. Mark Rein and Cliff contradicting each other constantly...

so where does this leave the mod community who has used their tools to create great mods/maps? these are the people who are making games. most of them come from the mod community. instead of working with PC as Valve has they quickly abandoned PC for a fat check from Microsoft to sell 360s.

so lets look forward to huge leaps in technology only when a new console is released. oh yeah that sounds fantastic. lets not push the bar and move gaming forward. the problem is that somewhere along the road EPIC forgot or transferred from making games their passion to pure business.

yes, make money. that is possible on PC if you make a good game and release multiplatform. id Software, Valve, Bethesda, Raven, Gearbox, Infinity Ward, have all gone multiplatform. so wtf is your problem EPIC especially with such a good community which has stuck around despite your recent bull****.
not buying another game from EPIC. UT3 sucked because the focus there was PS3, and Gears sucked because of Windows LIVE garbage, and in general was a terrible port.

so don't buy this piracy BS or different hardware configurations garbage. this is about greed and EPIC not caring about its PC fanbase. drop out of the PCGA already. its like having a biodiesel sticker on the bumper of a ford excursion. PC is so scattered with different hardware configurations? hmmm maybe thats why you allow users to change things like, world detail, character detail, particle density, texture quality, and other things so it reaches a large install base. what a load of crap.

"...that still supports the PC in other ways" = we sell Unreal Engine to make money. Microsoft needed another bitch after bungie and EPIC was more then willing to whore themselves out. but bungie made no illusions as to what platform they would be developing games for. different story. bye EPIC, hope the door hits you in the ass on the way out.

Smood

Nov 29, 2003
Translation

CliffyBitch: Making a good PC game is too hard for us here at Epic Fails, so we'll focus on pleasing casual console 'tards that don't have any standards. IT PRINTS MONEY HAAHHAH!!111

EPIC LOL. (No pun intended)

Poor Cliff. Has he permenantly fosaken his former pc gaming bretheren? I don't know, but the possibility is quite strong. The next question you have to ask. Does he care? Probably not.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
where the PC market is so scattered between the different hardware configurations
Hell, if the game companies could agree on a range of hardware to aim for instead of "OMG! Letz crank teh Detail-O-Meter to 11!" maybe the potential configurations wouldn't be so scattered

I say aim for a config of 2GHz CPU, around 1GB of RAM and GeForce 6600 or equivalent that'd work for a bungload of gamers

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Translation

Translation:

CliffyB: Businesses like to make money.

:shake:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
"But Gears of War will remain a console franchise..."
Remain? GoW never happened for PC?

Aren't the PC gamers glad the CoD4 and Half-Life2 series don't think the PC market is too scattered to release games multi-platform. :p (and Capcom for that matter - SF4 \o/)

Vlad

The Dude
Oct 19, 2000
DC
www.pc-gamers.net
If this is the direction that Epic wishes to take towards console games, the void left in PC based games should quickly be filled by other companies.

Remember Epic's main income seems to be in licensing the engine, not necessarily sales of the game. If Epic decides to limit the Unreal engine to consoles, then they will be reducing their licensing options.

Last edited by a moderator:

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
...as though the experience is really no different between platforms, and it's irrational prejudice that keeps PC gamers on the PC.
It's not prejudice, it's personal preference. And the experience is definitely NOT the same. I hate the FOV restriction in FPS games that are for consoles. Even their PC ports suck in that direction. A friend of mine calls this "a console feeling" and she doesn't like that in a FPS game. When I played the latest Turok, I felt the exact same thing. I felt trapped in a small space and I felt like I can't see what I want to see. Humans are used to a "wide screen" perspective and devs should finally learn 4:3 is bad for you.

...and Capcom for that matter - SF4...
Indeed. SF4 will be pwnsome! And I would like to share a fact with you people - Capcom recently started to release on many platforms including PC. And the ports are great! So how come when piracy is most rampant on the PC, Capcom release games for PC? Maybe some people at Epic would explain? But for me the answer is simple - Capcom deserve their name.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Translation:

CliffyB: Businesses like to make money.

:shake:
You're missing the point entirely. It is feasible to make money on PC, but it requires a little effort (and faith that customers will gladly purchase your good product if you don't load it up with DRM). UT3 and GoW PC make it obvious Epic either don't have the care factor or talent to pull off a good PC release any longer.

Going after the money is fine. But don't try to justify it after everything you've said about how much you love the PC community (bread and butter, PC Gaming Alliance, &c.). Cliffy and crew are grasping at straws and making lame excuses because they simply don't want to admit, "Hey, guys. Our subpar releases will only make money on consoles, so, um, f**k off!"

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You're missing the point entirely. It is feasible to make money on PC, but it requires a little effort (and faith that customers will gladly purchase your good product if you don't load it up with DRM). UT3 and GoW PC make it obvious Epic either don't have the care factor or talent to pull off a good PC release any longer.

Going after the money is fine. But don't try to justify it after everything you've said about how much you love the PC community (bread and butter, PC Gaming Alliance, &c.). Cliffy and crew are grasping at straws and making lame excuses because they simply don't want to admit, "Hey, guys. Our subpar releases will only make money on consoles, so, um, f**k off!"
I'm not missing the point at all. The team that Cliff leads is a console team. That's what they focus on, that's where they make their money. If they were making PC games and making tons of money, he wouldn't be saying that.

Making money on PC is possible, but not generally for big budget "AAA" titles. If you bring up Stardock's games, I'd simply point out that they are niche and not very lucrative (though I don't know how much they spend developing them). If you bring up CoD4, I'd simply point out that they probably made up development costs on other platforms and not on the PC.

This isn't about game quality. Some of the better games on PC still don't sell that well. Why do you think casual $20 mystery games often take over the top ten NPD sales? We're also not talking about a game bringing in revenue, we're talking about whether a big budget game can turn a profit on the PC, and, in general, the answer is probably not. The additional costs of adding some kind of DRM solution, royalties to sponsors, publishers and advertising surely eat away almost any perceived revenue before it's even attained.

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany
This isn't about game quality. Some of the better games on PC still don't sell that well. Why do you think casual $20 mystery games often take over the top ten NPD sales? We're also not talking about a game bringing in revenue, we're talking about whether a big budget game can turn a profit on the PC, and, in general, the answer is probably not. The additional costs of adding some kind of DRM solution, royalties to sponsors, publishers and advertising surely eat away almost any perceived revenue before it's even attained.

Problem is that you have to consider World-Wide PC Sales - as i said in another post the US market IS heavily console-oriented - doesnt mean you cant make money with PC Games elsewhere (and then theres the fact about online revenue not accounted for in NPD Sales). Just look at CoD4 - i dont believe it didnt make any profits on the PC Side by just looking at Steams Top Seller list and since 1 Year CoD4 is in there and it still costs 64,99$ on Steam.
Assassins Creed Directors Editions sold like Hotcakes over here in Germany and was in the Top5 or Top3 at our Saturn-Charts for at least 3 months. Most Recent example would be Crysis Warhead and by the looks of it that game sold considerably well World-Wide. There IS a big market for quality AAA Games on the PC but it can not be done without effort (Assassins Creed was a really well done Port and it had steeper Minimum Requirements then Crysis) - for me nearly every Unreal Engine 3 PC Game i purchased was better then Epics own Games (Bioshock, Mass Effect and most recently Brothers in Arms Hells Highway - all performing better and to me looking better then epics own Games) - tells you something if other Companies can better pull it of then the Engine-Designers themself.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Everyone rest assured, Epic will not be dropping out of the PC market. This would cost them a ton of potential sales, not from games but licenses. As demonstrated w/ UE3 there are still plenty of devs willing to license UE to build PC games. UE licenses are pretty costly as is but the profits through royalties of a standard license are potentially much, much more.
Epic will have to make at least one game to demonstrate the latest engine capabilities. They will have to support various hardware configs. They will have to support PC. All for the benefit of making their engine as attractive as possible.
Walking away from this market is a very serious financial mistake, one so obvious I doubt any heads at Epic responsible for the company's financial growth would second guess.