The Next Unreal Tournament will be Great

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Leave it up to the peaceful pacifists. Remember to pray daily to all mighty Epic through whining and trolling. What else is there to do? Stow it and play the game!

Shlomo

Jul 24, 2008
After the recent Cliffy B (**** you) comments about PC gamers in general, i've lost complete and total faith in the simple fact that Epic...

1) Cares about the PC community
2) Will make a game with the PC in mind

Give it up guys, Epic doesn't want you anymore, go play games by other companies that want your business. Epic is abandoning the PC community, UT3 is the EOL game of their PC gaming department.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why does everyone think that what Cliffy says about the PC applies to all of Epic? Just because they released one PC game with a less than stellar user interface and a plethora of other little issues? I hope people realize there are other reasonable excuses for this happening that don't involve Epic hating the PC as a platform.

Shlomo

Jul 24, 2008
Why does everyone think that what Cliffy says about the PC applies to all of Epic? Just because they released one PC game with a less than stellar user interface and a plethora of other little issues? I hope people realize there are other reasonable excuses for this happening that don't involve Epic hating the PC as a platform.

Last time I checked, Cliffy B was practically the FACE of epic games, and once very kind to the UT series.

Less than stellar interface? What a understatement. Hmm, a plethora of little issues = having 1/3rd the content of UT2k4, and 1/2 the features, and 1/10 the usability? Thats a pretty steep downhill IMHO. Epic have turned the blindside entirely to UT3 and thats a pretty big slap in the face, especially every time I hear that the game failed due to piracy.

Epic has totally alienated the PC community with their recent actions and comments. It'll take a miracle and a really long "sorry" for most gamers to flock back to them and sing their praise.

Last edited:

Shlomo

Jul 24, 2008
Jesus how many times does this one have to be rammed into your heads! Ever tried making map for UED3?

Using the community is a crutch for content. Epic released a little and expected the community to make up for the rest. Terrible business decision

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
I'm really hoping they do make a UT4 basically like what UT2004 did with UT2003. Would allow it to be an awesome game :D I think the UT series has become too serious. The UT series is still my favorite overall series from any other games and UT3 is an awesome game, I think with a little elbow grease it could be my favorite game :)

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Using the community is a crutch for content. Epic released a little and expected the community to make up for the rest. Terrible business decision
You, sir, are an idiot.

Yeah, there's less packages, but the details of each thing are far more complex. Materials can sometimes have 4, 5, 6 layers of detail.

Also, they're not "expecting" the community to make the rest. They didn't shift people on content. They made the content more complex, but less numerous.

It's pretty obvious you haven't mapped before, and if you have, you're clearly ignorant. End of story.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Also, they're not "expecting" the community to make the rest.

I know I read a quote by Mark Rein to the contrary. He was talking about how they cut a bunch of gametypes and content, and he said that if users missed it and wanted it back, they could just mod it in themselves. Not to mention how much user-content being available on the PS3 was talked up as being a selling point for PS3 players.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Last time I checked, Cliffy B was practically the FACE of epic games, and once very kind to the UT series.
Mark Rein is the face of Epic. Why would you think Cliff is? He's been making and promoting Gears of War ONLY since 2005!! :con:
Less than stellar interface? What a understatement.
No, I think it's quite accurate. If you have more of a problem with it, then it's personal dislike.
Hmm, a plethora of little issues = having 1/3rd the content of UT2k4, and 1/2 the features, and 1/10 the usability? Thats a pretty steep downhill IMHO.
In your opinion, indeed. Not sure how humble or honest it is though :p
Epic have turned the blindside entirely to UT3 and thats a pretty big slap in the face, especially every time I hear that the game failed due to piracy.
Who said that it failed DUE TO piracy? I haven't read that word for word from any Epic employee. Looks more like you're putting words in their mouth.

How has Epic abandoned the game when they released a patch less than two months ago, has a patch in the works (by their own admission), is still running MSUC, and still has a Linux and Mac client in the works?
Epic has totally alienated the PC community with their recent actions and comments. It'll take a miracle and a really long "sorry" for most gamers to flock back to them and sing their praise.
I can't disagree that they have done some oddly anti-PCish things lately, but considering they are promoting Gears 2 alone, which is a 360 exclusive, how can you blame them? This isn't "Midway Marketing" we're talking about, this is Microsoft marketing.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Mark Rein is the face of Epic. Why would you think Cliff is? He's been making and promoting Gears of War ONLY since 2005!! :con:

No, I think it's quite accurate. If you have more of a problem with it, then it's personal dislike.

In your opinion, indeed. Not sure how humble or honest it is though :p

Who said that it failed DUE TO piracy? I haven't read that word for word from any Epic employee. Looks more like you're putting words in their mouth.

How has Epic abandoned the game when they released a patch less than two months ago, has a patch in the works (by their own admission), is still running MSUC, and still has a Linux and Mac client in the works?

I can't disagree that they have done some oddly anti-PCish things lately, but considering they are promoting Gears 2 alone, which is a 360 exclusive, how can you blame them? This isn't "Midway Marketing" we're talking about, this is Microsoft marketing.

Casual gamers would know who Cliffy is, most people wont even know who Mark is outside of UT or possibly GOW.

Sluggish interface that usually dosent save preferences, ontop of that is heavily restricted in what you can do with it. personal dislike? Bollocks I say.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/Gears_Of_War_2_-_Cliff_Bleszinski_QA_13820.htm

The PC right now is a fair amount different to what it was back in the day, with all the badly integrated video chips. Here's the problem right now; the person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC.

If you can run UT3 you will pirate it (sorry imply that you will pirate it)

Epic abandonded the game when they released it as a Beta, cosmetic changes alone wont make up for that.

Because the promotoin of GOW2 has very little to do with how Epic treats the pc crowd...

Well atleast its nice to get a heads up from Epic on what the target audience of UT3 was.

A small minority of people who can afford a high end machine and will pirate the game because they know how...

That my friends is a brilliant buisness decision:(

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
having 1/3rd the content of UT2k4

Any idea how much of that content was UT 2k3 holdover and how much was contract work (Such as Digital Extremes or individuals like Hourences who made 6 maps for the game)? I'd like to see some numbers on how many of the maps were actually made by Epic themselves.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site

If you have inside information...please...tell us what you know!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Casual gamers would know who Cliffy is, most people wont even know who Mark is outside of UT or possibly GOW.
Perhaps it says more about the size of the market for an UT-game.
It's like asking for the names of a few soccer-players in the USA ...

Sluggish interface that usually dosent save preferences, ontop of that is heavily restricted in what you can do with it. personal dislike? Bollocks I say.
Restricted in what aspect ? The fact that like in the good old days you have to edit your configs yourself ?
If cars were built according to these kinds of specs we wouldn't even had the manual shifter we've got now. We'd have the kind of mechanism that the T-Ford had and you'd have to know about gear-ratios and tweaking them just to start your car. I say thank the god of engineering that we've got automatic gearbox and/or 'flappy paddles' instead. Then again ... we might not have had the amount of cars on the road if no one had thought of those inventions.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/Gears_Of_War_2_-_Cliff_Bleszinski_QA_13820.htm

If you can run UT3 you will pirate it (sorry imply that you will pirate it)
Have you even looked at what it takes to run a game on pc's these days ?
CliffyB is right on the money. The kind of person that is willing to spend a few hundred dollars on a mere graphicscard and that can get such a beast up and running in the average game will have the knowledge required to pirate the game.
It doesn't mean he will, but the temptation is most definitely there.
Heck I haven't met anyone that could build and/or maintain a semi-decent game-pc and lacked the knowledge/friends to gain access to warez.
That's not Epic's fault though.
It does matter to a business when trying to sell a game-engine with such high-end requirements.

Epic abandonded the game when they released it as a Beta, cosmetic changes alone wont make up for that.
I guess we must have played a completely different demo ...
Maybe you were hoping for any radical changes from a company that was kneedeep in the final stages of GoW-development ?

A small minority of people who can afford a high end machine and will pirate the game because they know how...

That my friends is a brilliant buisness decision:(
No, it's the sad reality of pc-gaming.
It also reflects the average attitude towards pc-games I've seen in the high-end hardware forums (they'd buy the latest kit and play warez as though it was normal).

Until we get a system that is as easy to use as consoles there's no change.
That's not Epics' fault.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net

Agreed. This is the exact same thing that killed Quake3. That game bombed as bad as, if not worse, then UT3 did. Anyone actually buy it? I did. I was all excited. WEEEE, can't wait to play some good old fashioned Quake CTF.
Fired up the game to check out the CTF maps.... 4.
4 very mediocre CTF maps.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected

NO! UT2004 was UT2004 + UT2003. They had twice as much time to work on it and the time it takes to make a level for UED4 can take twice as long!

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Perhaps it says more about the size of the market for an UT-game.
It's like asking for the names of a few soccer-players in the USA ...

Restricted in what aspect ? The fact that like in the good old days you have to edit your configs yourself ?
If cars were built according to these kinds of specs we wouldn't even had the manual shifter we've got now. We'd have the kind of mechanism that the T-Ford had and you'd have to know about gear-ratios and tweaking them just to start your car. I say thank the god of engineering that we've got automatic gearbox and/or 'flappy paddles' instead. Then again ... we might not have had the amount of cars on the road if no one had thought of those inventions.

Have you even looked at what it takes to run a game on pc's these days ?
CliffyB is right on the money. The kind of person that is willing to spend a few hundred dollars on a mere graphicscard and that can get such a beast up and running in the average game will have the knowledge required to pirate the game.
It doesn't mean he will, but the temptation is most definitely there.
Heck I haven't met anyone that could build and/or maintain a semi-decent game-pc and lacked the knowledge/friends to gain access to warez.
That's not Epic's fault though.
It does matter to a business when trying to sell a game-engine with such high-end requirements.

I guess we must have played a completely different demo ...
Maybe you were hoping for any radical changes from a company that was kneedeep in the final stages of GoW-development ?

No, it's the sad reality of pc-gaming.
It also reflects the average attitude towards pc-games I've seen in the high-end hardware forums (they'd buy the latest kit and play warez as though it was normal).

Until we get a system that is as easy to use as consoles there's no change.
That's not Epics' fault.

Epic has utterly failed to market Unreal as a franchise, simply because its not a franchise its a bunch of irratic and inconsistent games that happens to share the name Unreal the games themself have very little in common.

What Epic has been doing is changing Basketball rules with Soccer rules and then Icehockey rules.

You still have to edit the configs manually since Epic was nice enough to include whooping 2 sliders to adjust graphics with so i have no control over what I want to look good or bad to improve performance in UT3.

Compensating lacking gameplay with eye candy is never a good idea and sooner or later it comes back and bites Epic in the hiney as it did with UT3.

If Epics target audience is such a small number that piracy hurts the sales its very much Epics fault for targeting such a small percentage of potential buyers.

Radical changes is whats hurt the Unreal franchise the most, Id preffered if Epic had keept it internally consistent from the start instead of making radical changes with every release of Unreal.

Agreed. This is the exact same thing that killed Quake3. That game bombed as bad as, if not worse, then UT3 did. Anyone actually buy it? I did. I was all excited. WEEEE, can't wait to play some good old fashioned Quake CTF.
Fired up the game to check out the CTF maps.... 4.
4 very mediocre CTF maps.