Cliff Bleszinski Responds To Critics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
I was glad GOW was PC ported, but like many console games, it has that console effect. Boo. Loooks great as always like EPIC always does. I have a few games that are console ports and the console effect is so obvious.

The PC is alive and well and I pass all the console stuff. Technology is advancing but the consoles are still stuck on their levels. Newer games are taking advantage of the higher tech on the PC. I walk into Gamestop and the salesman is giving me a talk about how developers wanna get away from the PC...BOOOOOO. I am typing on my backlit keyboard that is so cool no controller does this. There are 3D mice out there. But the consoles are out there to stay, but just remember, the PC still is king in my book. GOW2 might get a PC port, but then I would rather see EPIC work on U3.....for their next gen stuff....on the PC!!!! well......maybe co-make it for X360 and PS3 or whatever consoles maybe out there...

oh, and BTW, DNF is all PC, suck it down consolers!!! TIme to grow up!!!

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Except for the fact that that section was the worst optimized section of the game, stuttering even on a high end quad core sistem with a radeon hd3850 512MB and (this is the most puzzling part, since i think the problem lies in the streaming of the levels) a recently formatted Seagate hard disk with 16MB cache set up to use the 3GB/s sata bus. And he's using all of them according to the benchmarks i've done on it.

It may be a good chapter storytelling wise, but the performance sucks in every rig i've seen until now. And they are all recently bought gaming PCs.
Sounds like a personal problem to me. I have a FAR worse machine and I didn't have any more stuttering in that part of the game than the entire rest of the game.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
Sounds like a personal problem to me. I have a FAR worse machine and I didn't have any more stuttering in that part of the game than the entire rest of the game.
He's right about that area. It ran noticeably worse than the rest of the game, and with quite a few hitches.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
TBH if you look at their last game (UT3) and watch the Bonus DVD (THE MAKING OF UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 on the PC version of the game, time 2:30, and look at what they are holding to play test the game it brings up concerns). Fair enough, make GOW2 for the Xbox but why did you make and will continue so, make a UT series of game for a console when it always belonged to the PC.

The MSUC was obiously a profit on the console side of things when 'playble on the ps3 is a plus' was near enough a requirement. Why would i want to make a type of moddification to a game that you no longer support, to another platform i would neither play on, to benifishery help a community that i will never play against, to help you make a profit on a game i cant play in the future.

Mods on the PS3 was a bad idea because the ps3 network doesn't have any contributors, or very little, fair and simple. Why should anyone make an effort on something they cannot physicly play on unless you buy 2 versions of the game. Makes little sence to me.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Cliff Bleszinski said:
There's a hundred guys at work, a number of which have wives and kids, and there's a certain amount of responsibility to make sure that they can afford their Pedialyte and their Enfamil.
Cliff is doing commercials now?

---
As for most of the rest of this thread: :violin:

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
CliffyB said:
I'll always love the PC. That's where our roots are, but, you know, companies evolve and their strategies sometimes shift, and that's an unfortunate reality of business.
Oh, so that's called "evolve"... Hmmm, you know, and I can evolve to playing CoD4 instead of UT3. Way more solid done game, that's what I call a finished product, not half-baked game with console influences.

He's right about that area. It ran noticeably worse than the rest of the game, and with quite a few hitches.
I had no problems playing GoW PC on GeForce 8600GT 256MB at max detail in 1440x900 resolution. That new episode ran a bit worse, however.

Last edited:

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
I honestly don't think I could care too much if I tried. UT1 was a great game.

UT2004 was something else entirely, while still fairly good.

Ut3 was just UT2004, less the player count.

They will never make another UT1, so I'm not too worried which way they go. UT1 hit the sweet spot where almost anyone could make levels that reached the standard mark back then. There also wasn't a lot of competition between games, and the majority of players weren't there to **** talk or create drama. Playing online was a new experience and pretty much everyone was there to have fun.

The environment is different now. Think its time for them to jump to the consoles and stop beating a dead horse. While its probably not that much different on the consoles, console gamers dont run up and down bitching about superficial features. (I think the inability for servers to support custom content was ridiculous though.)
Hell, UT3 on the 360 has a glitch where enemy players have the same color as your team, but it hasn't hurt sales. If they are in it for the money, to win fans, or gain acclamation, they should definitely go to the console market.

As a UT1 fan, i don't see how this will prevent epic from making another UT1, when they are already incapable of doing so. The bar is set too high and the players are different. Make a perfect game, but fill it with aholes...well you get the point.

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
Reminds of of that episode of southpark lol
Cliff Bleszinski couldn't get that 50acker island he wanted because of the illigal downloads...now he has to wait 5 hours.

FunGun

*klonk*
Nov 12, 2002
Visit site
Funny enough, while everyone seems to see Cliffy B(Yah I'll call him that just for fun) as the one responsible for this crap. Hardly anyone mentions the big XBOX 360 that's right there. Dude. It's M$ very own console. They probably told Epic to stop spending money on a platform where they(M$) don't earn too much. I mean... How much did you spend on M$ products in the last... 10 years? And now only those products that you really need to play games. Right I bought win98SE in those ten years. Not too much money.
But with every single sold XBOX 360 M$ earns quite some. And with Epic doing Console games only(you read that article? Cliffy doesn't want to answer the question whether they'd do any more PC-Games) M$ will sell more consoles. The XBOX 4pi is gonna come. And with it a new Halo and a new Gears...

The one thing I'm sad about is not getting to play Gears2. I'd have really love to know more of the story..

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
Hmmm FunGun, you seems to be right. M$ earns a lot of money selling server software (e.g. MS SQL Server) and development software (e.g. MS Visual Studio). But being a seller of 1/3rd of consoles in a market (if count Wii) and be alone a game publisher for it is really a good business. Even better than selling mice an keyboards.
Slap me if there's no M$ influence here.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Do we get hot, candid, nude photos of the Locust Queen? :O

Debbie does a brumack? :lol:

Anyways the comment on context sensitivity is about spot on but you really gotta look at it and consider how far you can push it before youre making a game too easy to play. Being able to just mash buttons and hit the correct one is hardly skillful even if it can be a bit of a laugh at times when the player does somethin stupid or you pull off a super special move accidentally.

This doesnt seem to be much new though on the topic, he hasnt really responded to critics at all just stating the same things "again" with no channel for people to get into conversation over the topic. Kinda understandable I guess, I really think Epic is losing touch with things especially CliffyB...

Nothing to say about PC? Many graphics cards, piracy? is that all you can say? Thats hell weak coming from a game designer who for a long while made games on PC. Theres a difference between nothing happening and not giving two ****s whats happening you know!

You dont want to talk about how now days its hard enough to find a case to fit high end graphics cards in? Yeah thats not important and doesnt affect peoples abilities to be potential PC gamers one bit. Or lets talk about PSU's and the raising power requirements for things, thats a good one because there are a few different positions and you could talk about the companys leading the way in lower power usage components.

But nups, lets talk about removing buttons off of gamepads like people who own PC's dont have gamepads or wont use them. Lets not talk about gaming mice, razor vs logitech vs ms, lets not talk gaming keyboards... Lets just forget about PC all together cause it puts our conscience to rest!

Not to mention the interview reads like the 10 last interviews Ive read on Gears2, not that Ive been reading them just skimming but even thats enough to know its more of the same. That could be the interviewers fault though asking the same questions over and over.

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
CliffyB said:
There's a hundred guys at work, a number of which have wives and kids, and there's a certain amount of responsibility to make sure that they can afford their Pedialyte and their Enfamil.

I'm going to ignore the other obvious retardation in what he's saying about "focusing" in light of their other projects, and just focus on this one.

Apparently Cliffy wants us to believe that the software developers at Epic, a company that sells million dollar UT3 licenses like pop-tarts, are in eminent danger of being unable to feed their families.

rofl. 'That's all I'm saying'.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
As a UT1 fan, i don't see how this will prevent epic from making another UT1, when they are already incapable of doing so. The bar is set too high and the players are different. Make a perfect game, but fill it with aholes...well you get the point.

There can never ever be another UT1, UT1 has been made and can not be remade. A remake of UT1 will not be UT1 but only an approximation of UT1. The only way to get another UT1 is to travel back in time. Or to wipe out anyone who knows UT1.

UT1 didn't set a high bar, people only think it did because it was one of the first games of its kind (Q3 being the other game of that kind). UT1 has a lot of flaws, but they are flaws people have become accustomed to. Often so much that they believe its not a flaw at all. I'm almost certain that in UT1 Epic employed the "throw anything at the wall and see if it sticks" approach rather than the "think of something to throw at the wall and figure out how it should stick, then throw it at the wall and if it is sticks well" approach. UT1 started out as an MP add-on for Unreal. But because there was so much new content Epic decided to make it a full/standalone game.
A good example of major flaws in UT1's gameplay are visible in the Assault gametype. But also the overall level design in UT1 is quite bad, most of the CTF maps are seriously unbalanced.

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
Many graphics cards [...] ? is that all you can say? Thats hell weak coming from a game designer who for a long while made games on PC.
Especially when you have only 2 manufacturers left on the market (ati and nvidia) and their chipset are almost the same to program. (they are so similar that some people managed to run physical calculation on ati chipset with the same cuda libraries that nvidia uses to program on their GPUs, with only minimal adjustment).

If i remember correctly, at the time when UT1 was released there was nvidia, ati, 3dfx, matrox and loads of non accelerated graphic card that needed to use software rendering. Seems to me a far worse situation back then, epic is just not interested in doing optimization for pc right now. Even Crysis performance scales a little better than UT3 at lower details...

Tried it on 5 PCs, with different processors, videocards, motherboards and hard disks. That chapter ran far worse than the rest of the game on all of them. I wouldn't say it's a personal problem. :(

Last edited:

os][ris

May 10, 2006
Nothing surprises me anymore. They've moved on. I think everyone else should too....

Original9

Deleted.
Jul 28, 2001
Besides, gears 1 was solely 360 until a year later when the PC port was done.

It didn't cut into the production of the original game. Just excuses, excuses, excuses.

Tell everyone there won't be a PC version so everyone then buys up the 360 version. Year later get the people who didn't get the 360 to buy the game.

That's what I'd do if I was in marketing, anyway.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
Was UT3 that big of a failure that they are abandoning pc games or just gears 2?

I don't even know if UT3 was a failure or not since I didn't buy the game but people who do own it complain a lot about the lack of players online and that may mean that sales were low, but if they made a "good" gears 2 port it would definitely sell.

That goes for any pc game really, make a good one and it will sell, if you just throw something together then of course it's not going to do very well, and ports from a console game typically seem thrown together and buggy.

The failure was pretty bad. I expect to see copies in the "Dollar Store" any time. People that bought the special edition for $60 are mad because it can be had a few months later for $10. Finding players on severs with a ping under 100 is tough. The master server is junk (Gamespy). Join a server with a ping of thirty and it might be one fifty shortly after. Fluctuates a lot. This game simply was not designed for PC. Maybe by patch 26.7 it will be on par with previous UT games.