The Next Unreal Tournament will be Great

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Epic has already stated that UT 4 or whatever they call it will be primarily a console game with a PC version to launch many months after the consoles. Epic has put PC development on the back burner. How many of you have played a game designed for a console that was ported to the PC? That type of development rarely works out for PC games.
Once again, an idiot misinterprets "UE4 will be focused for consoles" to mean "Games for our engine will be console exclusive."

What it REALLY means is that it might not even be a steep jump over UE3's requirements - which while fairly high now, will be nothing special in a few more years.

It also doesn't mean that there won't be UE4 games coming out for PC. And it also doesn't mean that those will be "months after" the console versions come out.

Please go back to school, learn how to read, and perform critical thinking and analysis.

FikusErectus

Jul 12, 2008
Once again, an idiot misinterprets "UE4 will be focused for consoles" to mean "Games for our engine will be console exclusive."

What it REALLY means is that it might not even be a steep jump over UE3's requirements - which while fairly high now, will be nothing special in a few more years.

It also doesn't mean that there won't be UE4 games coming out for PC. And it also doesn't mean that those will be "months after" the console versions come out.

Please go back to school, learn how to read, and perform critical thinking and analysis.

Lick my hairy balls you forum idiot.

FikusErectus

Jul 12, 2008
I say that the next Unreal Tournament game will be just that, a xbox360 exclusive...

And once you compete the campaign, you unlock Master Chief as a playable character. You heard it here first :lol:

I agree. UT3 is the last version you will see for the PC. Epic isn't even going to bother with the PC in a few years.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Epic has already stated that UT 4 or whatever they call it will be primarily a console game with a PC version to launch many months after the consoles. Epic has put PC development on the back burner. How many of you have played a game designed for a console that was ported to the PC? That type of development rarely works out for PC games.
I also like to spread lies as truth! With that in mind, I'm getting a sex change!

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
"UE4 will be focused for consoles"

That's not even it, you left out the operative part of the phrase, which is "next generation of consoles." Mark Rein explained later that what Tim Sweeney was trying to say with that comment was that UE4 will be sufficiently advanced that it's not going to run on this generation of consoles.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Fuzz, your post strikes me as that of someone who is enthusiastically naive.

At this point, anyone should be extremely skeptical of any further products that Epic puts out in the Unreal or UT series. Why? Because, very simply, they've succumbed to consolitus, as evidenced by UT3 itself.

The problems with UT3 are almost exclusively straightforward issues of the game's polish, options, and user interface and not game play. The problems are not issues of game chemistry which are hard to get right. Rather, they are straightforward and obvious, especially for a company that had gotten these things right before. UT3's problems were conscious, intentional design choices and not issues of chemistry.

Imagine if you owned a nice Lexus and then went to buy a new Lexus, only this year's model was produced by a new Chinese company that had purchased Lexus. The engine and the transmission (the game's game play) work well but everything surrounding it is junkier than what you might expect to find on a Yugo. It's kind of like that.

When you take everything into account, any further games produced by Epic Games need to be taken with a tremendous amount of skepticism. The Epic Games that produced the original UT99 and even UT 2004 isn't the same Epic Games that produced UT3; the production quality between those products are just legion. War Tourist says that they've learned from their mistakes, but the only way we'll know that is if and when we ever see a UT4 for the PC.

I know, I know, broken record, but then again, this is probably the 500th thread that touches on the exact same subject from a very disappointed UT fan and you folks are still drawn to the very same subject, reading the same thoughts that have been posted 500 times before and it does feel good to vent.

I loaded the game up for the first time in months yesterday and enjoyed playing Warfare. I thought to myself, "They got the movement right, the feel of the movement is pretty good and the game play itself is fun; what a shame." Then I noticed the lack of the ability to bind taunts and communication comments to individual keys and shrugged.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
At this point, anyone should be extremely skeptical of any further products that Epic puts out in the Unreal or UT series. Why? Because, very simply, they've succumbed to consolitus, as evidenced by UT3 itself.
None of us know what happened. It's as likely that they were forced to rush to release as anything else. Whether this was Midway telling them it needed to be done, or a conscious decision based on their needs to make sure other games completed on time, we don't know. Still, I see no reason to assume that Epic just decided that the design was fine as it was. I am sure some people inside Epic were not happy with the state of the game when it went to retail.

boogler

Banned
Jun 4, 2008
There won't be another UT game for the PC because if you have the brain power to install a CD, then you have the knowledge to torrent it. According to epic's understanding at least. rofl.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
None of us know what happened. It's as likely that they were forced to rush to release as anything else. Whether this was Midway telling them it needed to be done, or a conscious decision based on their needs to make sure other games completed on time, we don't know. Still, I see no reason to assume that Epic just decided that the design was fine as it was. I am sure some people inside Epic were not happy with the state of the game when it went to retail.

In all fairness, that is true. We really don't know what went on behind the scenes. One possibility is that Midway couldn't understand why the game wasn't ready yet and then put a contractual gun up to Epic's head and said, "Where the F's our game? Release it! Now!". For all we know the people at Epic were fuming and really didn't want to put it out yet, it's needing at least another six months in the oven.

I sure would like to know the real story, but I suspect that we won't find out for years for contractual reasons. I really do wish Epic well and hope that they can put out a good UT4. I'm just real disappointed with UT3 and the death of the UT franchise and need to vent some. Perhaps, after the Midway contract runs out, Epic could hook up with Stardock for its publisher.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Why Epic did not publish UT3 itself? Don't they have enough money?
Epic's never published the games themselves. Unreal was published by GT Interactive. They then became Infogrames for UT (Which was published under both the GT Interactive and Infogrames logos, despite GT basically not existing at that point) and then became Atari Inc. who published both 2kx titles.

UT3 is actually the first game with a "new" publisher, though it doesn't seem so at casual glance.

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Fuzz, your post strikes me as that of someone who is enthusiastically naive.

The problems with UT3 are almost exclusively straightforward issues of the game's polish, options, and user interface and not game play. The problems are not issues of game chemistry which are hard to get right. Rather, they are straightforward and obvious, especially for a company that had gotten these things right before. UT3's problems were conscious, intentional design choices and not issues of chemistry.

Imagine if you owned a nice Lexus and then went to buy a new Lexus, only this year's model was produced by a new Chinese company that had purchased Lexus. The engine and the transmission (the game's game play) work well but everything surrounding it is junkier than what you might expect to find on a Yugo. It's kind of like that.

When you take everything into account, any further games produced by Epic Games need to be taken with a tremendous amount of skepticism. The Epic Games that produced the original UT99 and even UT 2004 isn't the same Epic Games that produced UT3; the production quality between those products are just legion. War Tourist says that they've learned from their mistakes, but the only way we'll know that is if and when we ever see a UT4 for the PC.

I know, I know, broken record, but then again, this is probably the 500th thread that touches on the exact same subject from a very disappointed UT fan and you folks are still drawn to the very same subject, reading the same thoughts that have been posted 500 times before and it does feel good to vent.

I loaded the game up for the first time in months yesterday and enjoyed playing Warfare. I thought to myself, "They got the movement right, the feel of the movement is pretty good and the game play itself is fun; what a shame." Then I noticed the lack of the ability to bind taunts and communication comments to individual keys and shrugged.

setbind G sendtoconsole say I need a life aka girlfriend

setbind M sendtoconsole say Renember to turn off mouse accelartion in your config file, increases your aiming three fold Who needs a good UI when you can just exit the game, google an hour and do it yourself!!!

Not sure about how long the string can be though...
Oh did you know you also use Ctrl + G, Shift + , Alt + G to bind keys.

Oh and as for Ut4 hopefully they'll reinvent the way it's played online.
How would you the folowing with Ut3 atm?

Nr1. Me and my friend wanna play a quick 2 vs 2 team deathmatch against someone else and his friend. How?

Nr2. I just bought the game and I'm totally new, where do I go to play and meet new UT players?

Nr3. I wanna play against my fellow countryman with good ping, where are they?

Nr4. I'm becoming better, how do I find more skilled players? How do I know this guy played a while?

Nr5. How do you host a game?

Nr6. Wanna try out this mutator online just for a few matches, should I host and wait until someone joins. No one I personally know is online atm. Can people even see my game?

Nr.7 Just wanna hangout and chillout with UT players around the world.