What would UT3 be like if you were it's Lead Designer?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I would have killed it and told the guys to think of something that people might actually want to play maybe a "Gears of War : Warfare"-multiplayer expansionpack (we may even name it 'botpack' during the initial months ;)).

It's a business, not a goodwill service run by rich guys with lots of deep pockets ... some people seem to have forgotten that aspect.

That not enough ?

(oh and ... ;) ;) ... sjees lighten up before you're going to flame me ... )

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
I would have killed it and told the guys to think of something that people might actually want to play maybe a "Gears of War : Warfare"-multiplayer expansionpack (we may even name it 'botpack' during the initial months ;)).
I was making a very long post that was explaining why you are totally right, but it terrified me. I don't want to believe what i was writing so I decided to delete it and flame you.

OMG you meanie! GTFO! :lol:

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
An idea, just blend UT and GoW into a single game. We always wanted to pit them against each other anyway.

What do you think?

Lungri

Jun 10, 2008
The whole point is that they're supposed to be very different games. Gears is slower, clunkier, made for consoles and small team multiplayer...UT3 is an arena shooter, faster paced...3 itself just has problems compared to 99 or even 04...nobody is necessarily in agreement about what exactly those problems are though.

I think it's already far enough down the road of Gears both in it's visuals and style/setting, with big awkward armor people who have no necks, and totally blasted environments full of rubble and ****ing planets worth of metal everywhere. I would have really liked to see them capture something more unique like 99 had, something with some color... even 2004 had more visually appealing environments and at least had Assault with it.

If you want a game like Gears, just play Gears

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I think it's already far enough down the road of Gears both in it's visuals and style/setting, with big awkward armor people who have no necks, and totally blasted environments full of rubble and ****ing planets worth of metal everywhere. I would have really liked to see them capture something more unique like 99 had, something with some color... even 2004 had more visually appealing environments and at least had Assault with it.

They even had to do away with the tournament so they could make it about a WAR like Gears of War, and add in a cut-scene-ridden SP campaign because that was popular in Gears of War.

Lungri

Jun 10, 2008
Yea...totally lame...They emulated gears and it still wasn't successful. Why not keep it something unique and original, that sticks to it's base...and make it ALL about the Liandri tournaments. I think that would open it up to cooler environments, and do away with stupid crap like explaining Field Lattice Generators and how you can have a war in a world with respawning...I'm gonna just make my own single player campaign at some point...

In the map I'm making for MSUC Phase 2 I'm already trying to get some style in there...pull it away from boring dreary metal-rubble future

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
It's a business, not a goodwill service run by rich guys with lots of deep pockets ... some people seem to have forgotten that aspect.

:lol: Love it, you are totally correct though. We could list things till the cows come home (although I dont think anyone has listed an original feature yet) anyways yeah we could list every feature we all wanted.

What would have UT3 cost to make then? If I remember right UT3's budget managed to come in 10 million $$'s more than Gears, I totally dont see where the extra money went if we compare the art/assets/etc.

To me UT3 should have been a whole lot more especially when you see how far Gears has come compared to Gears 2, UT3 is just the same ole with not many adjustments to the gamemodes. Sure maybe people like them the way they are but that doesnt mean there isnt room for more, I really enjoy DM, CTF and the like but with the power of UE3 so much more could be done.

I have to agree I didnt like the whole "war" aspect or the crumby jokes like flags, people are right when they said UT became a joke to itself, Im all for a bit of fun and laughs but they woulda been better off having Malcolm doing standup. If it really was a "corporate skirmish" with conspiracy's and much more mature content in terms of story I might have enjoyed it more than I already do.

If War is what they wanted then vehicle invasion could have been the go, instead now we see horde hitting up Gears 2 and it'll probably cost them less to implement cause the Gears team is working for peanuts... Or something to that effect. Give us a unreal franchise GOTY Epic, plz its a long time coming tbfh :cool:

I know if I took lead designer on a UT game I would strive for it to be a Gears killer and a GOTY :p

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
I would have killed it and told the guys to think of something that people might actually want to play.

Most people (in this case: gamers) are idiots, and need to be educated.

Actually, if I had deep pockets, I would hire some good modders and mappers, and create an UT3 TC that incorporates all the features mentioned in my previous post. And if my pockets were really deep, I'd hire even more people and let them build a custom engine for my pseudo-arena shooter, and then release it for free, for my personal amusement and to make a point. It would be the most brutal, hardcore, politically incorrect, bizarre (but also stylish and funny) game ever created, and while probably no big hit with mainstream gamers, it would surely gain a cult following of people who are sick & tired of nerfed 'kid-friendly' games, Wiis, misc. 3rd person crap, and bland, 'y-so-serious' military shooters.

There.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
That's what Gears is for
Gears is a bad joke!

I think it's already far enough down the road of Gears both in it's visuals and style/setting, with big awkward armor people who have no necks, and totally blasted environments full of rubble and ****ing planets worth of metal everywhere.
That's why I hate Gears of War, totally.

Most people (in this case: gamers) are idiots, and need to be educated.
Exactly.

Last edited:

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Key design principles
Individuality, personal progression, community integration, focus on online experience

New players
Tutorials to teach new players the complexity is a must.
There needs to be a tutorial map for each vehichle and each weapon.
The tutorial gets woven into the fabric of the game - it's an online thing so you will play a map that is a rocket launcher or shock rifle arena. After sufficcient experience online, you get to progress. You can also do this offline if you wnat, but it'll be a lot less fun.
The general concept is that you start off as cannon fodder in a massive Unreal Tournament universe. Think of roman gladiators - you will be at the very bottom of the rungs, will not be given permission to risk breaking any of the decent weapons let alone vehichles.
By doing your own job well - staying alive, not getting fragged too much, you gain credits.

Also key to this is that the objectives at the start is not to win a map. Just doing a small defined job reasonably well e.g. defending a flag, supporting a better player in a TDM is all you'd want to do. You get credits and progress a little if you loose, but get more credits for doing even better.

You get to buy access to new arenas that use and teach you new weapons, then vehichles as you get enough credit. This is the tutorial phase and should be a good game in it's own right. One weapon maps are good fun.

Character customisation
You should be able to identify key players from a distance - simplified but more distinct characters.
Vehichles also get customised decals to make them uniquely identifiable.
You get to unlock these features as you gain in game experience and complete objectives. This starts after you've finished the early arena stages

As well as gaining customisation experience gives you
-An in game rank, that will be a factor in picking teams, and creating equal teams.
-An in game profile that contains both your own information about yourself, and key statistics about how you play the game. Key unlocks will allow modified decals etc.

Landgrab and online tournaments
THe last bit I haven't thought through but players with enough cash get their own bits of land. The land corresponds to their real geographical location as mapped by their average pings to various servers.
Players buy other players services to play online Warfare, CTF and TDM. Players get paid in game cash for playing, and will be able to be called from other servers playing regular games into these key matches - abit like how PUG's work. THese will be fights over bits of territory between you and people that challenge you or that you challenge. You can opt out of challenges, and just have your own quiet uncontested corner if you want, that grows as you buy influence.

Custom content
Mapmakers, and server admins get some extra impressive custoimisation options. If a mapmaker is playing his own map online he should get a halo or something! There should be levels of maps
1. any map that's made and hosted
2. A map that's made and gets rated well by players
3. A map that's top rated
4. A map that gets Epic's seal of approval.

Epic should host redirects, and players should be able to upload any maps that are on their server favourites in-game, when they aren't actively playing online. Level 4 maps should be automatically uploaded onto all PC's unless players opt out. Level 3's should automatically be uploaded if a player checks the box.

That's it really. I'm not asking too much am I?!

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I would use this plus:

• FF either 75% or 100% on as default in TDM
  • Weapons throw would be friggin' allowed and would have a GUI option to set the key for it.
  • Weapons stay off would be default for TDM.
  • Weapons respawn times would be 15 seconds.
  • Demorec would be an actual feature with the ability to switch view points like a server side but accessible to client side demos + rewind/fast forward/ time seek.
  • The return of Assault, but without the cheese of UT's Assault but with the improved gameplay of 2k4's Assault mode.
  • Sound that actually works correctly so you can get accurate audio cues of where your opponent is. No cutting the sound of the feet because they aren't in site anymore.
  • Proper mouse input, no variation of mouse movement based on frames or how close an opponent is. No oval shaped mouse curve either like it is default in UT3.

Friendly fire blows. It has its place in Call of Duty but in an unrealistic shooter like UT? TF2 got rid of it for a reason.