What would UT3 be like if you were it's Lead Designer?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Completely and utterly remake UT99 but with the new graphics engine. And with the inclusion of warfare and VCTF (with the vehcs).

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
It would be more like UC2 but with the following main changes:

- Bot customization! The ability to make completely unfair teams. The ability to have bots with different skill-levels in a game. The ability to chose their weapons for them.
- More melee possibilities to make melee vs. melee fights more interesting and more based on skill.
- Less splashdamage (same radii, just less damage) but more direct hit damage for projectile weapons. Not as much as in, say, Warsow, but like a hybrid between UT2004 or UT3 and UC2.
- The Enforcers/starting weapons should be more efficient. UT3's enforcers are pretty good in that regard. They fit in much better than the ones in UC2.
- I'd like to give the link-gun shock-rifle hybrid a try that was planned before they decided to go for the regular primary fire for the shock rifle. They must have had their reasons not to include it but if the only reason was because the beam could not be rejected I'd say screw that and implement it anyway. No one is forcing the opponent to fight you with melee.
- More team-based gamemodes. Especially a team-based version of Overdose so the team can control the multiple ball spawn points. This would decrease the randomness of the mode anyway. Apart from the randomness the mode is really cool.
- customizable controls ala Ninja Gaiden Black
- some more small options like allowing zoom in insta-gib Yes/No; allowing lounging Yes/No; allowing rejecting Yes/No; allowing melee attacks Yes/No. Disabling adrenalin pick-ups but allowing adrenalin build-up Yes/No; disabling health pick-ups so bad players can bring down a pro every few deaths (makes 1on1 less frustrating for newcomers and doesn't really change the outcome); Last Man Standing and Team Last Man Standing with a changable number of lives per player or per team; setting a fixed order for the weapons in Weapon Master; ... Small things like that, even if they just serve training purposes.
- Nali Slaughter is a stupid party-game-mode that should not be found in a game as great and skill-based as UC2 but I admit is funny sometimes and it's a good mode to play with someone who doesn't know the game. As it is more of a gimmick than a real game-mode in my opinion it would make for a great unlockable goodie for beating the singleplayer campaign.
- speaking of which. My game would definately include a singleplayer campaign, even if it's not real singleplayer in terms of linear levels with objectives and all. I would go the same route UC2 took but make it better wherever possible. It would be a tournament consisting of a string of multiplayer-matches against the AI but with the following changes:
--- co-op support. No reason not to let another player join in in team-games and in non-team-games the second player can play (one of) the opponent(s). I realize one could cheat by joining as an inactive "second player" but who cares if someone cheats in a singleplayer game, right?
--- more personal drama. UC2 made some attempts at that in a special map like the one where Apophis sends bots to kill the player. My game would have more like that. Maybe something that takes place in regular tournament maps as well, like a treacherous team-mate wants to discuss something with you in the arena but it turns out to be an assassination attempt. Or someone sabotaged a CTF match so your respawner doesn't work. Endless possibilities. Just something to spice up the regular tournament gameplay without losing the focus that it's still about the tournament.

I proposed some changes to make the game even more based on skill than it already is, but I would like the lock-on system to stay exactly as it is. It's pretty much perfect.
Apart from the suggested changes above the weapons can stay like they are. I never played on a really high level but I always found the weapons very balanced (including melee). Sometimes I thought one was over-powered but the more I played and the more I used them all the more I thought the balance was great. At least in a console environment. On the pc the sniper rifle would have to be weakened quite a bit.

I would like it if the visual style remained mostly clean and stylish. Some of the maps in UC2 are highly detailed but they still feel clean. Praxis comes to mind.
In terms of post-processing I am all for special effects like the screen failure of injured robots, the respawn effect or the vision changing adrenalin abilities, or special effects in maps like the distorting water in maps or bloom where it fits (the bloomy team-colors on characters ROCK in UC2. It looks really hot if you run from a lighter area into a darker one and in the darker one you see your team-colors glow) but it should stay reserved for special events! I would not allow to let my game be blurred up or de-saturated as bad as UT3 is on the higher settings.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Sorry to say it but I wouldnt take a lead design position for any unreal franchise title :p

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I am a natural born fan. I would like that role very much. If I got the chance I would get that projectile firing from your head instead of your gun bug to disappear.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Details are great thou. Keeps the game evolving. Kind of hard to play thou. Lots of things that can mess up the aim.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I am a natural born fan.

I guess Im just of the opinion what UT/Unreal needs is someone whos not a fan to bring something new to the table and perhaps shake up the development cycle alittle. Its not like epic couldnt handle it anyways, UT3 is on shelves already!@

I got alot of time for Unreal/UT but its obvious whatever they do will never be good enough, well atleast thats the impression I get, it could be the best game on the planet but since it holds the unreal logo it'll be held to higher standards.

So as a fan myself the best thing I could do is step aside and let someone in that could do the franchise right, I certainly know what 'I' want but to know what all of you and more want is another thing all together. Maybe thats the point of this thread!

I just think Epic needs something fresh and if PCF dont deliver as a long time Epic supporter I wont be buying their games, not because I got anything against Epic but because they'll be putting my UT features into another IP on a platform I wont buy! Thanks CliffyB!

Last edited:

Lungri

Jun 10, 2008
"why bother with gameplay" Because it's a game...gameplay is at the core, it's what the rest of the game should be focused around. Carbonfire wasn't that bad I thought....Epic maps are just too cluttered with mesh all around...I don't believe they really thought of balance and gameplay.

What would it be like?

Better proportions vs the level,UT99 style

More interesting weapons, less of the direct-fire hitscan type...I mean some Gunstar Heroes type ****

More survivability

Higher double jumps

Wall kick that actually does something (you'd be able to flip out...and scale walls a bit if the architecture permitted.

Vehicles that didn't overpower the abilities of the player, as well has have more unique momentum...(more mobility for the player as well, On foot weapons that can match up to vehicles...not annoying crap like the AVRIL)

More creative and varied environments, less cluttered and monotone maps

Assault mode returns

Restrictions on use of post-processing and bloom (cloth is not a light source)

More integrated in-game power ups...both the pick ups and deployable kinds...things you can hold in your inventory rather than not being able to shoot till you drop it

Ability to use skyboxes again

etc etc...

Vote for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
* No gimmick maps. I'd ensure stuff like HOLP -- infinite emphasis on gameplay -- was built first and then tell the artists to make it pretty. Epic claims they do this; I do not believe them. No one can look at CarbonFire and think it plays well.
...or Deimos :lol:

Returning to the topic, my UT3 would have been...
  • ...not released in october 2007. That month was too busy with very popular games. I mean, christ, i'm still playing games released on christmas right now. Who was the idiot that told Epic to release UT3 on that timeframe? Every f***ing child that has opened a videogame site to check what games to buy for christmas would have realized that that month was too cramped with great titles for a niche game like UT3.
  • I'll skip "a PC designed menu" as everyone would like that, but i would tie an upgrade system to the login function. There are too many people that doesn't know there are patches and a bonus pack for this game. So, right after the login, i'll put a window with a message like "UT3 patch 1.3 is available for download. It is strongly recommended that you update your game as soon as possibile" with the option to download it (maybe via torrent) or to continue. But i will make servers not backward compatible so that everytime you try to join a patched server you'll be prompted with a reminder to download the update. Damn, it's an online game. You're supposed to always be up to date.
  • ...of course, with this method i'll try to do little patches that gets released more often, instead of a mammoth upgrade once or twice a year.
  • As for the gameplay, i'll make a faster walking speed. But i like current dodges, they will remain roughly the same.
  • The ability to change game speed freely, like in UT1. Having a couple of mutators for fast and slow is not enough.
  • Hire Slainchild as lead level designer :D
  • Will make the gun in a fixed position. I don't like how it moves left/right up/down when you rotate the view. It will also screw your aiming, since the weapon doesn't point exactly to the center of the screen, forcing you to keep weapons hidden.
  • Remake the Ripper, with a secondary fire like the one in UC2, so that you can charge it up and release it to make the disk go a little faster than a rocket and explode on first contact with something / someone. But it will not be present on every map, only on those where it's fun to use.
  • A strong UI for crosshair personalization, and a community contest prior to release to make some user made crosshairs to include on the game ;)
  • Bring back the castle environments. Epic seems to forget that one of the thing that fascinated their first fans was the hi-tech vs nali architecture contrast that we've seen in Unreal and UT. I'll be sure to have a stunning castle/monastery graphical set to ship with the game.
  • Make sure that every map has a clean, but detailed, level design. Think UC2. In UT3 visuals are too cramped for an online game. I like details but they must be used in a more intelligent manner.
  • More visibile ammo boxes for all weapons.
  • Icons with different colors for every weapon on the hud, instead of those useless pre-renderers. In a fast online game you need to know at a glance wich weapon you're using. I'll bring back the colored weapon name on weaponswitch too, but with the icon on top the text.
  • The ability to switch to Simple Items like in Q3A. I remember my friend Folletto made them for UT2003 and they were great.
  • Fully functional Weapon trow. WEAPON TROW, DAMN IT!!!!
  • Single player storyline like the one in UC2, but with some more levels specifically built for the campain (I think in UC2 there only was the tutorial and the time attack level with the bots sent by Apophis to kill you, would be cool to have some more). It will start with skippable -but fully playable- tutorials for every game mode. They will be heavily scripted and they will touch multiple aspect of the gametype as you go. I'll even make the player do some repeatable fun challenges in order to learn some online habits, like timing power ups, provide weapons to unarmed team mates and so on. I can't stand those noobs that always think of UT as a "stupid game" and instead are praising those f***in WW2 games saying that there's more tactic in them cause you need to find cover and snipe enemies away. THIS IS NOT TACTIC, everyone can hide behind a wall and shoot enemies from afar.
  • Then, if i really need to tell a story about a necris war, i'll make the story start with you being a team leader in the tournament and then make the tournament stop to let you fight somewhere else, but you need to have a tournament in Unreal Tournament... I have some other ideas that would be cool to develop on top of a simil-UC2 campain but i don't want to write them right now.
  • Be sure to ship only when the linux dedicated server is fully functional and with at least 3 months of extensive playtesting.

Oh, almost forgot: trash the dynamic music sistem. I want to listen to complete songs, not some small bits.

Sorry for my english if i made some mistakes, it's really late here and i really need to sleep. :D

Last edited:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Well...

--The focus would be on the Tournament again, no silly SP storylines, just a bunch of criminals, fortune seekers & wannabe heroes fighting to the death with all sorts of crazy-ass weapons in crazy-ass arenas.
--Advanced locational damage for both players and vehicles. Limbs & wheels could be shot off, for example, crippling (but not destroying) the player/vehicle.
--Advanced bloodloss system, with blood & healthloss depending on the severity of one's wounds.
--Realistic, really disgusting gore.
--Advanced species system. For example, not all weapons would be equally effective against / have the same effect on different factions. Think EMP weapons against robots, UV based weapons against vampires (yes, vampires.. they would replace the Necris) etc.
--There would be dozens of unique, cool, weird & wonderful characters (think for example Open Arena) spread out over at least 4 factions / species. These would be made by many different (community) modelers on freelance basis, to stimulate quality (every model being someone's 'masterpiece') and stylistic diversity.
--All female chars (50% of human faction) would be sexy and scantily clad, with realistic breasts.
--Normal looking guys/people instead of anabolic tank persons.
--Anatomically correct nude skins for all humans and some aliens.
--Highly advanced voice packs, with a unique voice for most characters, a crapload of (sometimes VERY 'mature') taunts, and all sorts of situational feedback. Bots would apologize when shooting someone on their own team, praise other people's skills, and sometimes even beg for mercy when wounded / cornered. Also there would be realistically horrible screams for horrible injuries, and bots would say silly stuff like 'Help me, Jesus!' when running around on fire and such.
--The game would come with at least 40 maps, all made by different people (mostly from the UT community) on freelance basis. Every map would have its own distinct theme and style.
--4 (or more) team support for all team-based gametypes.
--CTF would become Capture the Fag. And yes, you would actually be capturing fags.
--WAR/ONS would be scrapped and replaced with a new gametype where the objective is to either capture or destroy the enemy's respawn units, and subsequently wipe out the opposing team(s). Maps & matches could be completely asymmetric with for example one team attacking with vehicles (some of which have respawn units), and the other defending a base.
--Jailbreak would either be an official standalone gametype, or integrated into the above.
--The weapon set would be greatly expanded with both 'real' (contemporary) weapons and crazy sci-fi weapons. Laser pistols, hand grenades, assault rifles, Mongolian Deathworm launchers... think BW mixed up with U4E, and then some. These could be mixed & matched according to one's preference.
--Melee weapons with appropriate 3rd person anims and perhaps auto-switch to 3rd person view.
--Idle / unarmed animations, plus all sorts of unique anims for each character.
--Flak monkey and Holy SH!T would return, and be joined by many new titles/awards.
--The UI would combine the very best features from UT1 & 2, with, among other things, superb bot management and tons of customization options.
--Excellent mod support, including custom skins, voice packs, models, vehicles, muts, TCs, and of course maps. Easy WYSIWYG tools for n00bs, and advanced tools for pros.
--Regular reviews and rewards to stimulate modding. The best content would be released in bonus pack form, and the modders appropriately praised and compensated for their efforts.

...etc!

Last edited:

Anisotonic

Jan 21, 2008
Montréal
You probably see me coming, but I think I would have made a PC game. When someone would have come up to me with the idea of making a console version, and to compromise the pc version for it, I would have laughed in his face and fired him.

I honestly believe that such a formula would have landed the game 10 times more success.

Apr 11, 2006
Well...

--Advanced locational damage for both players and vehicles. Limbs & wheels could be shot off, for example, crippling (but not destroying) the player/vehicle.
--Advanced bloodloss system, with blood & healthloss depending on the severity of one's wounds.
--Realistic, really disgusting gore.
--Advanced species system. For example, not all weapons would be equally effective against / have the same effect on different factions. Think EMP weapons against robots, UV based weapons against vampires (yes, vampires.. they would replace the Necris) etc.
--There would be dozens of unique, cool, weird & wonderful characters (think for example Open Arena) spread out over at least 4 factions / species. These would be made by many different (community) modelers on freelance basis, to stimulate quality (every model being someone's 'masterpiece') and stylistic diversity.
--All female chars (50% of human faction) would be sexy and scantily clad, with realistic breasts.
--Normal looking guys/people instead of anabolic tank persons.
--Anatomically correct nude skins for all humans and some aliens.
--Highly advanced voice packs, with a unique voice for most characters, a crapload of (sometimes VERY 'mature') taunts, and all sorts of situational feedback. Bots would apologize when shooting someone on their own team, praise other people's skills, and sometimes even beg for mercy when wounded / cornered. Also there would be realistically horrible screams for horrible injuries, and bots would say silly stuff like 'Help me, Jesus!' when running around on fire and such.
--Idle / unarmed animations, plus all sorts of unique anims for each character.
--Flak monkey and Holy SH!T would return, and be joined by many new titles/awards.
--Excellent mod support, including custom skins, voice packs, models, vehicles, muts, TCs, and of course maps. Easy WYSIWYG tools for n00bs, and advanced tools for pros.
...etc!

Kevin McCullough: "It's called "Unreal Tournament" and it allows its players - universally male no doubt - to engage in the most realistic sex and violence acts ever conceived. One can custom design the shape, form, bodies, race, hair style, breast size of the images they wish to "engage" and then watch in crystal clear, LCD, 54 inch screen, HD clarity as the video game "persons" hump, murder, and mutilate in every form, format, multiple, gender-oriented possibility they can think of."

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
I would have made it like Halo.

Just kidding. :D
Everyone could say that they would make the game have this and they would have this work better like that. Most of us wouldn't be able to design a half decent game anyway but as long as we can all still dream.

I would have made it pretty much like UT2004 but with the gameplay and old school level design of UT99.

Features
  • It would made with a focus on the PC first.
  • Single Player would be a story played out in actual Tournament gameplay.
  • Space Vehicles

Characters
  • Xan, Malcom, and Mr. Crow would be unlockable players.
  • Nali War Cows would be in it.

Weapons
  • The ripper would be in it and allowed for limb dismemberment.
  • You would be able to drop your weapons.
  • You could steal other players weapons.
  • The would be a melee hammer weapon where you can knock other players into ragdoll mode.
  • The Redeemer would have a bigger and better explosion.

Game Types
  • Onslaught would be a little more like the original Assault game type.
  • There would be Invasion
  • I "new" game types like Air DM or Vehicle King of the Hill or something.

Modding
  • It wouldn't be such a bitch to mod.
  • You could layout your UVs how ever you like.
  • What you see in the character selection screen would be exactly what you see in the actual game.
  • Opacity maps would work on characters.
  • There would be special tools for setting up mods and .ini & .int data.

Aw hell I'll just go mod my own UT. Oh wait no scripting tutorials in the Collectors Edition? Ok how about the UT3 section of UDN? No?
Hmm....