Stop Adobe Flash Petition

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Carpetsmoker

Nexus-6
Jan 20, 2008
Netherlands
arp242.net
Sign it here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/0034655a/petition.html

The number of Adobe Flash sites are growing, and an increasing amount
of sites will simply cease to function when Flash is disabled or
unavailable.

I would like to call to all web developers to (re)consider their use
of Flash, while it does have place on the web, it is often used in the
wrong way, on the wrong place, in a badly implemented manner.

Why I dislike flash:

o It often adds little or nothing to a website, most things can often
be achieved with either CSS or Javascript (or a combination) which
suffer from much less problems.

o Flash is not usable, for example it often breaks the back button,
"find in page" does not work, setting font size does not work, and
many more.

o Browser settings such as font size, enabling/disabled sound in web
pages etc. do not apply to flash, leaving the page's designer, not the
user, in control of the browser.

o Flash is not accessible, screen readers, braille displays etc. often
have serious difficulty accessing flash pages.

o Progressive enhancement is difficult to achieve with flash, unlike
for example CSS or Javascript, flash is binary data which interacts
poorly with HTML.

o Flash is not supported on all operating systems, and only on a very
limited set of architectures.

o Flash is slow, if you do not have a new $1000 PC but a somewhat older
"office PC" flash can be a serious performance hit.

o There are a number of security issues with flash, and Adobe has
never seemed to quick/concerned to fix them.

o Animation is annoying, I want to access information, not watch a
"cool" animation.

Sincerely,
The Undersigned

Carpetsmoker

Nexus-6
Jan 20, 2008
Netherlands
arp242.net
Yes, I think it will change the face of the web ;-)

Of course it won't cause a paradigm shift, but it can be used to show that many people/users are not at all impressed but annoyed with "sleak" flash sites, which might just be enough to convince a few people/sites.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
I think a more suitable title for this petition would be 'stop half-assed web developers making incompatible sites solely using Adobe Flash', and to be honest that's one hell of a challenge and nothing a petition will change. To be fair, a number of purely-Flash sites do provide a standard HTML alternative, and if they don't you should be contacting the developer directly.

Pipe_Dream

3-time World Champion Bowler
Oct 22, 2004
Portland, OR
Okay, I signed it! #42
To be honest, I don't really care. In fact, I can't tell the difference and I have no idea what java and flash really do, let alone why I should like either. I really just signed it because zeep supports it and I've always thought zeep's avatar is hot, unlike TSW's sig. You see, I've had a thing for zeep for a few years now. Deep down inside I want to believe Zeep is a chick and her avatar is really her image with some cool effect.

Alright, I've gotten that off my chest. Back to business-------> :lock:

Last edited:

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
Pipe said:
*The horrific claims made that should never be repeated

... *Distrubed*

I myself only really signed it becuase flash takes ages to download and get going, and on 32k dialup it's a bloody pain sitting there waiting for it. I know Relic's official Company Of Heroes: Opposing Fronts site is purely Flash, what a pait that was trying to find info about that or screens before it's release, it's not like downloading the screens alone didn't take long enough.

Pipe_Dream

3-time World Champion Bowler
Oct 22, 2004
Portland, OR
Have at it pipe.

Check it out! My avatar and your avatar look as though they could hook up in real life. Mine is a wiggerish arab dude and you're chick looks kinda like one of those hot strippers that's into black dudes, but has to date wiggers so she doesn't p!ss off her parents.

If we hooked up this way, it wouldn't come off so weird. Like I'm human and can't be with an avatar, but two avatars could be together. :wavey:

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Check it out! My avatar and your avatar look as though they could hook up in real life..
Looks are deceiving.

She hates 2Pac. She finds he's made to be like the Lucky Dube of hiphop. His lyrics are considered psalms and overall people worship him for reasons that are unknown to her. He and everyone who worships him bore her. "He's always whining.", she says.

Osama on the other hand is a man who she would like to sit down with and talk politics, religion, secret governments and such. I doubt that she would ever sit on him though.

Best bet, you need to shape him up Pipe or go for cheaper, less educated women.