Lance Mod For Gears of War PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
If you're hanging on to a copy of Gears of War and are looking for something new to do with it then Lance, a new modification for the game, just might be the ticket. You can even find details about how to make your own map for the gametype.

Lance is a TDM experience straight out of the SinglePlayer architecture. The whole gametype has respawns enabled and the action is non-stop, just like a Multiplayer game with some Bots AI. You can chose your team as well as the difficulty level. The spawns are surrounded around the level in unwanted holes so the AI's go inside the actual level and take part of the action. The weapons are randomly given to both the player and AI's, there is 1 chance out of 7 to spawn with a super weapon.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Now that the extent of the multiplayer is free, there is no reason not to.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah the game should be really cheap now. And it's DRM free at the least lol.
Thanks hal btw. :tup:

Let me know if you guys like Lance.

Cliffy_A

May 21, 2008
there is no reason not to.

Oh Please, come on, the only way that statement could be remotely believable, is if you disregarded the fact that the PC version of Turds of War sucked feces through a straw, even Epic have as much as admitted the fact, by announcing there wont be a Turds of War 2 for PC.

I get the feeling that even if Epic released a game that was universally accepted as a turd, you'd still say it's good and worth getting.

oh . . . . , wait a minute,

they did,

and . . . , well, you did,

and there you go.

I guess you got grease the palms so as you can continue to get the exclusives, tours of the offices and pre plays etc. Oh, that's right, BU doesn't get any favors from, or feel obliged to Epic in any way. :rolleyes:

Keep beating that drum, you might actually believe it yourself one day.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Sound like Cliffy_A doesn't like Gears of War or BU. Why even post, HAL has provided some info and some of us appreciate that. Thanks Hal..

Rohit

May 29, 2008
Hot damn, was that fun. Polish this a little, and you have a legitimate gametype and a chance to revive Gears PC. This is the stuff I want to see that separates console from PC.

Still, think you can implement an option for unlimited lives? Sometimes I just want an excuse to curbstomp some COGs with no downtime.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Still, think you can implement an option for unlimited lives?

I'll think about it, but the main reason why I did this is because you can win, and the other team can win too. If I put on unlimited lives for example, only you will be able to win, unless I'd make conditions like how many times you and your teammates dies overall then = fail. But I didn't want the player to be punished by the AI's. :)

I could also make a condition like make 40 frags under 7 minutes for example, but that'd be way worse, I expect player to feel in a rush, tanking non-stop, not acting careful.

I always thought about adding a video on youtube, maybe this could help out.

Last edited:

Rohit

May 29, 2008
Can't you have unlimited lives and remove the frag limit? Sort of a "just for fun" option?

There are times when I'm wasting a precious life when the opposing team occasionally spawns next to me, or when I run out and quickly get gibbed by a boomshot.

Even if you don't implement it, I'm glad you're working on this, and hope you can make more maps...and what's that? People can convert their MP maps to this as well? Hopefully those disappointed with few players in Gears MP can still make their hard work enjoyable to some.

Definitely spread the word out on this. It'll help people get into Gears PC as well as get others to see how PC gaming isn't just about guys showing off their expensive computers.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Can't you have unlimited lives and remove the frag limit? Sort of a "just for fun" option?

Technically yes I could. The true problem is that every weapons on the battlefield doesn't get cleared up, and it cause serious framerates issues. There's a function somewhere in the game but after the longest Kismet digg I have ever made to date I couldn't find that function there. For example, when a multiplayer round ends, all the weapons gets cleared up. That's what I'd want.

I'm glad you're working on this, and hope you can make more maps...and what's that? People can convert their MP maps to this as well?

There's always more to come, basically, all the maps here are getting converted. Yes, people can "convert" but they'll have to remake the level just a bit so the spawn points are not right in the battlefield, but close.

Definitely spread the word out on this. It'll help people get into Gears PC as well as get others to see how PC gaming isn't just about guys showing off their expensive computers.

Exactly.
Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Rohit

May 29, 2008
Technically yes I could. The true problem is that every weapons on the battlefield doesn't get cleared up, and it cause serious framerates issues. There's a function somewhere in the game but after the longest Kismet digg I have ever made to date I couldn't find that function there. For example, when a multiplayer round ends, all the weapons gets cleared up. That's what I'd want.
Makes sense. I have noticed weapons and even bodies remain even after several minute of play. Good luck finding that function if it exists.

Also, are players allowed to take weapons from dead enemies? My Locust was unable to pick up a boomshot from a COG - I think the game displayed the icon showing that you cannot pick up any more ammo for the weapon, even when I never had it.

Finally I think I can confirm that if the player stays where he is when he spawns for the first time, an enemy will spawn next to him in a few seconds.

skullkrusher101

Jan 21, 2008
Ok I must be missing something here. How the hell did you do this when Epic did not release Unreal Script for GoW and only a watered down version of there visual programming language (forgot what it was called, been a while)

When GoWPC first came out I tried franticaly to build a CTF mod using that visual scripting POS and while I did succesfuly wire enough boxes together to create the proper logic I always had a disconnect between host and client. Somtimes both would register someone picking up the flag and sometimes not. So Am I missing something, did Epic finaly release proper Dev tools for GoW PC? I thought that M$ wouldnt allow it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Also, are players allowed to take weapons from dead enemies? My Locust was unable to pick up a boomshot from a COG - I think the game displayed the icon showing that you cannot pick up any more ammo for the weapon, even when I never had it.

That's a general game issue, where the weapon is near an object, causing you not being about to pick it up. I know it's annoying, took me a while to figure it out why it was happening.

Ok I must be missing something here. How the hell did you do this when Epic did not release Unreal Script for GoW and only a watered down version of there visual programming language (forgot what it was called, been a while)

Mod is a big word. It's all in Kismet with custom archetypes.