CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thanatos

Oct 21, 2005
Napali Meditation Room
I agree but there is a TC mods being made to bring UC2 to PC.
http://uc2004.com/
Which seems halted.

Yups it kinda is, theres plenty of work done but as far as I know no active members on the project.

I am the only active member still working on UC2004 (Characters as usual. though I can now animate.)

I now own an Xbox and UC2 after 2 years of working without one(thanks to the wonders of ebay :lol:)

The main problem with doing a recreation mod like UC2004 is the lack of people willing to work on recreating someone elses work.

We found that mappers and skilled coders were a big problem when working on UC2004 and UT3 didn't help matters with many people abandoning UT2004 for UT3.

raptorsmallwk1.gif

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
"kiddy controllers" ... what is your problem? Are your trying to be an anus or what? Its PC gamers like you that cause rifts in the gaming community with your immature attitude about console gamers. Did you even play both versions of Gears of War before you opened your mouth up and inserted your foot? And the 360 controller is an excellent gaming device ... plenty of folks use it for many PC games ... including UT3 and Gears of War. Even Crysis plays pretty well with the controller. Just because you don't use it or care for it doesn't mean you have to act so infantile about the matter. Kiddy controller my ass.

Those that disregard peoples opinions because of post counts and tell people they should spend more money on hardware (360) to play a game that woul;d work better on their finely tuned $2000 machine should not accuse others of trying to be an anus... Just my opinion.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Wow, just look at all that cliffy hate in the comments over there. :rolleyes:

Yeah you know the routine, the messenger gets all the hate. **** with Mike Capps instead. The studio got screwed ever since he's in. UT3 SP Campaign? Yes, a good idea, Capps.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Wow.. ok.. f*ck you Epic.

If Gears 2 never comes to PC, I guess i'll just download future games. I have no more respect for a company that turns it's nose up at the platform and the gamers that they owe their very success to.

To console pushers: STFU, don't you think if many of us wanted to play the game (or indeed any game) with /those/ controls we'd already have 360's?.

We don't promote piracy here.

And the 360 controller is an excellent gaming device ... plenty of folks use it for many PC games ... including UT3 and Gears of War. Even Crysis plays pretty well with the controller.

Excellent? Yeah, for racing games - maybe.
Just one thing:
Keyboard & mouse combo >> controller
Don't make me argue.

With a K&M the aim and turn is much preciser than with a controller. Not only it is more precise, you can vary the speed much easier with the mouse than controller. So concerning FPS and 2.5PS and TPS - comparing the controller with the keyboard & mouse combinations is like comparing Trabant with Millennium Falcon :lol:.

Concerning GOW2 ... not worth going there.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Wow.. ok.. f*ck you Epic.

If Gears 2 never comes to PC, I guess i'll just download future games. I have no more respect for a company that turns it's nose up at the platform and the gamers that they owe their very success to.

To console pushers: STFU, don't you think if many of us wanted to play the game (or indeed any game) with /those/ controls we'd already have 360's?.

lol you're threatening to pirate Epics games just because they are not making a PC version of GOW2? Wow!:rolleyes:
So it's a 360 exclusive, what's the big deal? In my mind it always was.
I didn't hear people make such a big deal when they made UC2.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
lol you're threatening to pirate Epics games just because they are not making a PC version of GOW2? Wow!:rolleyes:
So it's a 360 exclusive, what's the big deal? In my mind it always was.
I didn't hear people make such a big deal when they made UC2.

While I can't really blame him... lol we should keep that stuff to ourselves as it stregthens Cliffy B's stance that piracy is the cause of Iran's nuclear program, why his car didn't start that one day and why EPIC's (IMO) crappy ports didn't do well.

Let's not stregthen that BS stance. Sure its a problem but their recent releases on PC would've done crappy on their own. I like it in games when features on the menu like work and stuff. Instant action in UT3 has never worked and I have bought a new PC since its release! wth? lol

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Those that disregard peoples opinions because of post counts and tell people they should spend more money on hardware (360) to play a game that woul;d work better on their finely tuned $2000 machine should not accuse others of trying to be an anus... Just my opinion.

Oh brother another wise guy trolling around with nothing worthwhile to say but butting into something between two people that has already been resolved. Do people just like being stupid these days or what? :rolleyes:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Excellent? Yeah, for racing games - maybe.
Just one thing:
Keyboard & mouse combo >> controller
Don't make me argue.

With a K&M the aim and turn is much preciser than with a controller. Not only it is more precise, you can vary the speed much easier with the mouse than controller. So concerning FPS and 2.5PS and TPS - comparing the controller with the keyboard & mouse combinations is like comparing Trabant with Millennium Falcon :lol:.

Concerning GOW2 ... not worth going there.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it ... I love the 360 controller and prefer to play TPS with a controller rather than keyboard and mouse. But yeah I think that I probably like using a mouse a tad bit better for FPS although I love playing ALL shooters on my 360. But hey I love playing UT3, HL2 games, Gears of War, Crysis, FEAR, and others on my PC. And I love playing God of War on my PS3. For me its all good.

Grogan

I sure don't mind paying for good games. In my opinion and for the work that goes into them, PC games are cheap... $30 to $50. For the lengthy entertainment I get out of them, anyway. OK, for a student without much of a source of income, or someone on a fixed budget with mouths to feed it may be a lot (and I mean no disrespect), but in perspective it's not. It's a Hell of alot less than you'd pay for some crap word processor and spreadsheet programs for Windows, or even possibly a night's drinking.

I've got games that have brought me years of enjoyment. UT2004, Doom3 and friends, Quake 4 etc. (These have all been ported to Linux, even, so I can have a quick game in a dull moment without having to reboot)

I would never pirate a game... I have more pride and respect for the work than that.

Produce them for the PC and I'll buy them. Consoles... forget it. I can't stand the controllers (I'm all thumbs with those things), and I don't like the limitations.

Alopexau

Mar 28, 2005
I'm just saying i've been doing everything a single user can do to support this company, I bought every Epic game I own at launch, at full price... I bought Gears PC expecting that I was going to get to enjoy the rest of the series in time... a sudden slap to the face like this just kinda caused an outburst.

I agree my opinion on future 'purchases' should have been kept quiet, but you can't deny this kind of move by Epic will sour people.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
Oh brother another wise guy trolling around with nothing worthwhile to say but butting into something between two people that has already been resolved. Do people just like being stupid these days or what? :rolleyes:

Nope, not trolling, see, it's you who has the attitude and can't help but call people names. I'm just calling you out on your ****ty attitude towards people who don't agree with you that the XBOX system and controller are perfect. :) But then, I forgot, I'm not supposed to have an opinion and nothing I say is worthwhile.... sigh... :p

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Anuban, just calm down. deep breath. i've heard you label people things and generally be argumentative. try to not label people and listen to people as you might learn something. thats the approach i take. if i disagree i 90 percent of the time don't label people or imply negativity at them.

i hate controllers and have mixed feelings about the 360 as a platform. you love it apparently and thats fine. if you listen you may come away with the reasons why instead of making people snap back at you. you set the tone negatively right off the bat and instead of discussion you are getting back posts that do nothing for you.

you are not going to change anyone's mind here on anything. neither am i. i choose to listen ask questions, state my own opinion worded in a fasion that i hope doesn't piss anyone off, and correct mistakes on subjects when that happens in a polite manner.

you may want to try it sometime. you will gett better responses. the first step to being smart i believe is to (add/subtract =P)recognize the value of others opinions. a failiure to listen is why Capps has no clue why GOW did poorly on PC for example. best of luck to you. TOAST

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I emailed Mark. This is a definite no for sure. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, it just nearly entirely nixes the idea of it coming from Epic or any of their companies.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I won't close the doors for ever, but if they ever release it for PC somewhere in the next year(s?), I'll really appreciate that.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
i think that this move may come to haunt EPIC down the road. their direct competitor id Software (technology & past games) is doing great things on PC and while i'm sure none of you hate id Software i get the feeling that some of you are gaining new respect for them and they deserve it. the hardcore fanbase who hates this move WILL remember it. so if EPIC decides to come back to PC which I'm sure they will eventually when they feel its a good opportunity for them to do so again people who are angry with EPIC will remember this.

the next EPIC title for PC i will have to do some research to see if they polished the game and it doesn't crash and have lots of problems. it used to be i could pick up a title with EPIC's name on it and know i was going to get an awesome experience. not the case for me anymore.

i've read many of your happy and respectful comments about Quake Live. Carmack said that is their test to see if there is still a market for a pure multiplayer focused shooter. my bet is a Quake Arena sequel will be made. Quake Live's great appeal is that its free, that down time before you have to go to work or something you get in a few games. i think id tech 5 will leapfrog Unreal Engine 3 and by the time EPIC decides to come back to PC for whatever reason id Software may have put up some huge hurdles for them to climb over.

so instead of correctly finishing UT3 and polishing it to the game it could have been (UI, no Malcolm?) and kept most of their fanbase on PC happy its obvious EPIC chose to rush it out to work on console titles. i think they lost a lot of credibility with that move and their comments on PC and essentialy shut the door on future prospects on PC. why the hell would you put yourself in that position as a company in ANY market? PC gamers remember. i didn't buy "With Teeth" because reznor left the DOOM 3 project. audio is kind of important in games. my choice...

just saying i think they set everything up for id Software to launch IPs multiplatform and take over much of EPIC's fanbase and rightfully so. imagine an id tech 5 powered Quake Arena polished in gameplay and graphics being the dominanat sci fi multiplayer focused shooter for years and EPIC tries to get back into that. with their current reputation they did everything to anger their fanbase and that will be stiff competition to say the least. id and EPIC used to battle each other (unofficially) and now EPIC left the arena for id to run wild and id Software knows it. hence Quake Live and the test for a sequel for Quake III Arena.

my speculation, but watch Carmack's keynote address. obviously i could be completely wrong. thought about it and its a very possible turn of events. anyone have anything to add or comment/call BS on? :)

Last edited: