CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
rajput_warrior:" Erm.......eh.... *ignores rest of thread* ..."
/post

I won't go into details here, because others (and me) have already explained, but let's just say it's stupid to say us 'kiddies' can't afford a 200 dollar console when we're asking to bring a game to our 2000 dollar PC.

Last edited:

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
I bought a 700€ video card, but reject to buy a 200€ console. yes. I had an XBOX 360 and it was crap. I love that everyathing just works, and the live network, but you can (theoretically) do it all on the PC, too. it's just up to the developers to make it as on the console. If you look at good console conversions like flatOut: ultimate carnage, you see hot it needs to be done!

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Might also have something to do with new console games coming out priced at $60-70 a title, as compared to $50 per title (without "exclusive content") on the PC.
I got Gears when it first came out mainly because the guys in my clan were looking for something new to play, and no one was happy about UT3.
I admit that at first I didn't like Gears, and for about 2 months it just sat on my shelf... but once I actually started playing it, I grew to like it alot more than I expected.
I'm very disappointed that it's not coming to PC, but not for the reasons most here are. My brother is a console gamer, I'm a PC gamer... Gears 2 was going to bridge that gap for us... we both like Gears (though he hasn't bought it, or an Xbox 360 yet) and based on what we've seen here and elsewhere, we knew we were going to like Gears 2.
Granted we can still play Gears (once he has it), but once we've finished that and he wants to move on, we're back to square one...
And I can't say that I blame anyone for this except the people who make those kind of decisions, because it seems that they aren't looking at the bigger picture... but more at what a title can do for their platform.
All in all; at the end of the day it comes down to one thing; someone is making money, and they want to keep making money... gamers be damned as long as their platform stays afloat.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
One thing I find annoying about news like this, just generally is that alot of PC exclusive IP's are starting to move to consoles as well like say UT3 for eg. Then when an IP like Gears comes along its up to us to buy a 360, I wonder how many people bought a PC for UT3 (probably not that many) they just waited for a port I guess.

With that said this isnt the first console only release from Epic, take a look at UC series specifically UC2. Its funny though because the best Unreal titles are the ones that are more exclusive then ported/upgraded some time later.

Maybe this is for the best if Epic cant do a PC version, for whatever reason, if they think it'll be better off on that single platform then so be it. Doesnt stop me wanting to play it but it will stop me buying it. I just hope this is to make the game sell better not the 360 platform, as Ive said its up to MS to realize that not everyone is going to buy a 360 :cool:

Theres nothing wrong with PC only IP's moving to console just as theres nothing wrong with console IP's moving to PC, you cant really do a subpar port and expect it to sell either way but if youre game is designed with gamepad in mind...

Best solution Ive seen is the ubisoft disclaimer telling people its best played with a gamepad, is it that hard? Not really but for some reason Epic had to prove something, failed and are now perhaps taking it out on us. How much would it really cost to get Gears2 on PC? the absolute minimum of minimums, that should have been the goal with Gears 1 but it wasnt. The situation got over complicated with extra content etc etc and lead to game break bugs making it to a release copy.

Anyways who knows why we got this news, I can deal without Gears 2 just as I delt without Gears 1 for all that time, just to have it go on my "to play one day list" mainly cause I missed out on all the initial buzz and MP.

I just hope this doesnt mark a trend for future Epic titles :cool:

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
= they had to outsource the pc-port of GoW to another developer (People can Fly)

Options :
= hire a different developer for the GoW2-port (problems : even outsourced projects require time&resources from Epic).

= delay the release of the port for 2 years instead of 1 ... (one year already is an eternity in gaming)

= no GoW2 for pc

Oh c'mon, they need absolutely no additional time to make a port to PC. As it was said in some early interview w/ Epic, GoW is originally a PC game ported to Xbox360. Dude, GoW engine is completely cross-platform, and there's nothing new in GoW2 engine except improved graphics. Don't you think console games are being developed w/o PC?... Bleh... People Can Fly developed only PC episode for GoWPC (as I first saw news about that it explained me a lot why it's outdoor design looks so blend and unlit -- quite possible guys had no experience with Unreal Editor), they were only mappers.
They just don't want to waste time (which equals to money :) ) to release it to PC. They just don't give a damn about PC GoW gamers, take it as it is.

Does anyone else get a kick of how they're now trying to spin that into novels, a movie, etc?
I don't care about these miserable efforts of gaining more money. If they can make a movie, I might watch it, though.

Last edited:

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
They should rename it from "Exclusive to.." to "Now Excluding..."
Seems more fitting for what it actually achieves, at the end of the day.

I'm upset enough that the best looking unreal tournament (UC2) was exclusive to xbox, so I never got to play that either. (me + shooting games with controller = no can do)

What I don't understand is, don't they want my money too?? :hmm:

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
lol @ 360 pushers
as said before, there's multiple reasons why investment goes into a PC and a console is left out of it. I can do everything with my PC, and you are able to design a machine down to every detail for those needs, the design includes the ability to handle the latest games easily. PC is expansion and upgrade potential, there are no blocked doors like fixed console hardware.

Leave the consoles for the real kids, the teens and the big kids who just want to finger crunch with their kiddy gamepad. The PC platform is definitely one for the smart and intelligent gamer who demands more. For these kinds of gamers, you cannot force them to invest in the console experience - but you can bring your game to them too.

I grew up from arcade simplicity, that was the 1980s.

my evolvement took me to the PC platform.

keaukrine's post casts my mind back to a video interview with an epic developer during gow1 development at epic studios where he was clearly using a mouse and keyboard to control marcus in the map he had built to show the interviewer... this was before it was released on 360.

what happened to all the tags?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Here's a little "lighten up" for the persons who think Cliff is responsible for this move.

Cliff:
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/906/906298p2.html

Gears of War is a great franchise first and foremost for Xbox 360, and therefore we're focusing on that platform for Gears of War 2. We've decided we're not going to do a PC version this time around.

Mike Capps
http://kotaku.com/5035111/epic-boss-lower-scores-for-pc-gow-are-bull****

"Because what we did was take a great game, Gears of War 1 for Xbox 360, made it run at higher resolutions and added three new hours of really good gameplay and it got lower reviews. I think that’s bull****, and I don’t understand it. I can’t figure out what it is."

Summary:

Cliff B: Messenger
Mike Capps: Boss, and uterly pissed off.

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
Well, this ain't final anyways. GoW1 was an "Xbox360 exclusive" game first. It was even planned (mostly by Microsoft, just IMHO) as a "launch title for 360", do you remember those rumors?
But may be after such disappointment (at least it looks like Mike Capps is disappointed in GoWPC sells) they just decided not to make a PC version. GoW1 for PC was just a pleasant gift from Epic to PC gamers, and now they are just doing what they said. No GoW on PC.

Last edited:

os][ris

May 10, 2006
You incorrectly assume that Tim Sweeney likely has anything to do with the daily operations of Epic. In fact, I doubt he has spent more than a few minutes working on any of Epic's games in the last few years. their engine team is separate from their two game teams.

Isn't he the CEO of the company? This action is not "day to day" thing. To me it's a major shift in direction for a small company to flat out say "we don't want this game on the pc anymore". I don't think he's some lab rat in a dungeon somewhere hacking away at UE4. I'm more then sure he has some say in what goes on.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Which seems halted.

Yups it kinda is, theres plenty of work done but as far as I know no active members on the project.

Anyways I seriously doubt we'll see someone porting GoW2, I mean its good to like a franchise but in the end well... You arnt helping youre own pocket! Its just as easy if not easier to do your own thing as you dont need to deal with getting things close to the originals. Let alone trying to resize tiny textures and other crappy tasks you wouldnt need to deal with if its your own content to begin with, I wouldnt expect help from a developer either in that regard.

Alopexau

Mar 28, 2005
Wow.. ok.. f*ck you Epic.

If Gears 2 never comes to PC, I guess i'll just download future games. I have no more respect for a company that turns it's nose up at the platform and the gamers that they owe their very success to.

To console pushers: STFU, don't you think if many of us wanted to play the game (or indeed any game) with /those/ controls we'd already have 360's?.

Last edited:

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
It may fall on deaf ears but yes it sad no GoW 2 on PC. Be it for low scores on GoW 1 or just that they don't want to do it for 360 exclusive.

However, correct me if I wrong but a while ago GoW 1 PC was a rumor and was slated to not even happen and PC folks were in arms (**** 360 we want GoW on PC etc... )

Then GoW PC showed up, granted not a massive fanfare of a release and buggy but it was a decent port after some patching.

Right now I see the same thing, we have come full circle. I would not be surprised one bit if in the coming years GoW 2 reemerges on to PC when deemed fit to.

But like I said this will fall on deaf and arguing ears.

Let the bickering resume...

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
Mozi, why would it fall on deaf and arguing ears? have you followed the progress of this thread?

what you just said is what I and a few others have said throughout the topic... so don't think you've suddenly said something different :) it's good to see you have an open mind on it. I guess you're just worried you'll get jumped on for not believing this news is the final word lol

Let epic say what they want, whoever says it it makes no difference.

On the capps being annoyed interview (I remember it some time ago), only reason I can think of for lower scores is because it was older than the console version, maybe the same people reviewed the pc version as they did the console version and were not as enthusiastic/excited a second time around. Maybe reviewers are console fans more than pc and prefer their kiddy controllers playing gow, I don't know, I don't read the reviews, I make my own mind up based on trailers, footage, screenshots, demos and interviews. I do sympathise with him.

@ Hal, I think most people thought the tags were funny rather than offensive, lol..

@ os][ris, lol at "I don't think he's some lab rat in a dungeon somewhere hacking away at UE4." funny images appearing in my mind...

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
"kiddy controllers" ... what is your problem? Are your trying to be an anus or what? Its PC gamers like you that cause rifts in the gaming community with your immature attitude about console gamers. Did you even play both versions of Gears of War before you opened your mouth up and inserted your foot? And the 360 controller is an excellent gaming device ... plenty of folks use it for many PC games ... including UT3 and Gears of War. Even Crysis plays pretty well with the controller. Just because you don't use it or care for it doesn't mean you have to act so infantile about the matter. Kiddy controller my ass.

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
lol, did you read my post 177 on page 9 Anuban?
I don't think you have, or you wouldn't have reacted like you have.

Chill man, no need to get so defensive about a controller, I said kiddy because I used controllers as a kid on my NES.

Playing with controllers now, especially FPS is not for me.