CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
Why is everyone so surprised that GoW2 won't be on the PC (at least for now)? Consoles sell better and you people mentioned it countless times already - the bar is set higher for the PC, thus the same game gets a lower score and probably even less sales. The best solution is to be multi platform, but NOT give the PC a console port! So far so good, but they would still crap up the PC version and people won't like it as much so Epic would've eventually move away from the PC as a whole, because of low profit. Self preservation and interest! Lucas Games are taking the same road right now and they too pissed off a lot of their loyal PC fans.

So badmouth all you like about Epic, they are not going to listen to you, but you can spend some time with non Epic created content instead. :eek:

I can't agree with what some people said here about BU. It's not something I have the say in, but this site is the only one for unreal related information that I know and visit, so if you include games outside the unreal engine, the site is not going to be the same and probably for the worse for me. I know where to go when I'm interested in something... unreal... ;)

And for the Quake lovers, a game that's 10 years old MUST be free so that ain't a big plus for QL. Tribes is free, but nobody plays it. :/ Damn, I miss these series...

Last edited:

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Someone who barely posts around here has some nerve telling me to grow up. You are silly folks complaining about something that most intelligent people saw coming miles away and you tell me to grow up. Maybe you ought to spend some time trying to act like an adult. Believe me it works very well in situations like this. And you really need to learn to make sense if you are going to make posts.

Yeah right on because maturity is based on how much you post here. lol I'm an adult, I drive, shave and everything. I smoke too which makes me look like 3 years older.

To completely debunk your statement of... "You are silly folks complaining about something that most intelligent people saw coming miles away and you tell me to grow up." well Cliffy B... B...B :) would say we are a console developer now and then Mark Rein would contradict that saying Ciff is on such and such team working on a console game he's and idiot. trying to put the PC fanbase at ease. So while not a complete surprise EPIC's stance was anything but clear.

I thought more crappy ports were coming. seriously

Oh, my point on Bungie not releasing Halo 3 on PC is that its what we expected from Bungie because they made it crystal clear its for 360 while EPIC strung us along. From the announcement of Halo 3 you knew it was for 360 only and years down the road may show up on PC. Could have used a better example. My point is there is nothing wrong with a developer making console only games as long as that is clear to consumers. It is now, what like two thirds through Gears 2 devlopment in an offhand comment in an interview. The Force Unleashed is a better example because that will never show up on PC. Its a known stance from the developer or publisher and clear from day 1. Bad example with Bungie.

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Why is everyone so surprised that GoW2 won't be on the PC (at least for now)?

Why can't people accept that it is not coming to the PC period ... not at least for now. Its not coming ... Epic has spoken and if you can show me that they have gone contrary to what they have said I would be stunned. Are people still waiting for UC2? No ... and people should just accept that Gears 2 is not going to be a PC game. These things happen folks.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Anuban, no offense intended but you win. I mention that not everyone owns a 360 implying people wanted to wait for Gears 2 on PC and I get some off the wall response on how its like other people elsewhere say you can build a gaming PC for 700.00 (and tacos are great?) Some people don't want a 360 so I mean what does that have to do with PC component prices and that consoles are cheap? I was never debating platform cost.

I mean you just go off in a dozen directions on simple statements that don't pertain in anyway to my post. I'm baffled. Oh! each platform has its strenghts and weaknesses. Great to know! Sweet and Sour or Soy? Maybe I have to be extremely specific. Not everyone wants a 360, not everyone enjoys moving nubs with their thumbs to play games. Some people were waiting for Gears 2 on PC... and every other way I can say it. I think I lost brain cells reading your post. I can't keep up with your posts.

You are extremely talented at throwing out completely irrelevant stuff. lol Seriously what is the link of the 700.00 PC debate and what I said? I never said people are complaining because they can't afford a 360? WEED what I typed betterer. :D I'm done Anuban, worn out man.

Last edited:

lol911

May 17, 2005
Why can't people accept that it is not coming to the PC period ... not at least for now. Its not coming ... Epic has spoken and if you can show me that they have gone contrary to what they have said I would be stunned.
People seem to forget easily, but Epic never talked about a PC port when GoW was coming for the Xbox360 either. It is basic marketing. By "excluding" the PC before release, they will sell more on the 360, and potentially also increase hardware sales for Microsoft, their publisher.

I am not looking forward to GoW2, but will it come to the PC eventually? For sure.

ChookWoods

Jun 19, 2005
tbh i think this is just marketing... they say its not coming to pc to get everyone out and buying a copy of the 360 under the impression they wont be able to play it otherwise. then a year later, once the sales have dropped considerably, they go "oh hay, pc version in 2 weeks with bonus content" and everyone is all like "oh **** son i want the extra content im buying the pc copy too".
oh wait i just described GOW1 didnt i? itll happen again.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
And finally my definition of a true gamer is someone who loves games regardless of the platform ... if the game is fun they play it and enjoy it and don't get up in ridiculous platform wars, now that is my opinion if you think otherwise fine, again I could care less ...

I cant agree with that, sure gaming is fun on any platform Im not going to dispute that. What I will say is some of us dont agree with the ideals of the people who are driving that platform, thats a choice we make and rubbing it in our faces will do you no good. I would love to play Gears2 if Epic chose to release it on a platform whos ideals I agree with :cool:

These ridiculous platform wars obviously mean more to some than others and alot of your comments just fuel a fire you dont even need to get near. You obviously want your gaming in any flavour you can get no matter what happens in the future of gaming.

Grogan

I don't know what your problems are but Epic fixed that bug a while back. I have not lost any progress since I patched my game. Gears 2 runs just fine now and does not have any major bugs (not offline for the SP campaign at least).

So I heard, but I'm up to date with the latest patches, including Microsoft's XLive redist and it was still happening. Now I just start at a few key places manually from the console when I play the campaign anyways though. Lately I mostly just play Kantham's maps. I like that endurance, though I get frustrated sometimes.

Someone else in my home forum was having the same problem as well. (he got royally pissed and sold the game at a used game shop because of it lol)

Both of us using Vista. Neither of us actually went all the way and registered an XLive account, only the player sign in. I wonder if that would make a difference. Still Xlive related though, because the database getting corrupted was

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Content\E000008DB2924288\FFFE07 D1\00010000\E000008DB2924288_MountPt\4D530842.gpd

(what a crock of shyte)

Last edited:

DevilBlackDeath

Sep 1, 2008
I've just started to read comments, maybe what I wil say has been said in the thread before but I didn't get the time to read all the 170 posts. Think about it, look all petitions launched on official forums(I have myself launched one) there are often more than 70% of "Yes, port it to PC", they will, as they've always done with their games, not any Epic's games was not launched on PC. And, additionnally, they work with Microsoft, they're under pressure(I think) to first say "Sorry guys, no PC port this time", so X360 sells will grow up, and then after one year, the game made good sales, made some people buy X360, so both Epic and Microsoft earned money, so after this year, Microsoft "lets" Epic what they want to do, and will sure release it for PC to earn money again with sales of computer version, and Microsoft's let them do because this is a Windows Exclusive and even if they didn't take some percentage on sales it runs(normally ;)) better on Windows VISTA, so people will try to buy it, so everybody is happy twice and hve much more money thn with a single version!!!:D Don't worry, next year, in an interview, they'll say "We're developing the port of Gears 2 on PC" and interviewer "But last year you said , no way, no PC version this time around" and the nice answer of Cliff or Mark "Who, us, we never said that, never mind!!!". I will wait for the PC port!!!!:lol::lol: ;)

And just one thing because I don't want ANYBODY to say I'm a fugkin fanboy PC because I'm the first to want every games on every platforms(which cannot be with some games, imagine a Microsoft Game on PS3), and for the console gamers that should like it, a cross platform multiplayer for Gears 2(even if it's only coop and not competitive, should be fun however), it my be really cool!!!!!

Last edited:

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
its impossible to know right now if theyre or theyre not releasing it for pc,
those words could be marketing movements,

for example, saying they will not make pc version, will make everybody buy it for 360, then a year later, when they have sold the very last copy for the 360, they make still more money selling a few more copies on pc, ( wich is, more or less, what happened with gow1, at first, there were lots and lots of denied rumours that a pc version was coming)

always it will be microsoft who deceides, because they have got a "games for windows" division, that is intended to make more money.

Eitherway, if the game is released or not, i dont care.
If the game comes to pc, im playing it, if not im not playing it.
Im not buying a console to play this. And i know that a lot of you are on the same boat.

Exactly, nice to see another open mind on this issue :) having an open mind isn't being single mindedly delusional because it's about having multiple paths left open and not just making up your mind on what you've been told initially.

Yeah I though so too but now we got people saying "this time around" doesnt mean never...

Im not getting my hopes up because people want to pick it apart, its certainly possible we could see GoW2 on PC, whether or not its in a timeframe that matters is another thing altogether. It simply wont have the same push behind it the 360 version does either way.

Someone else who thinks outside of the box :)

I always take these "not gonna happen" annoucements with a grain of salt.

oh, another :)

People seem to forget easily, but Epic never talked about a PC port when GoW was coming for the Xbox360 either. It is basic marketing. By "excluding" the PC before release, they will sell more on the 360, and potentially also increase hardware sales for Microsoft, their publisher.

I am not looking forward to GoW2, but will it come to the PC eventually? For sure.

lovely :)

tbh i think this is just marketing... they say its not coming to pc to get everyone out and buying a copy of the 360 under the impression they wont be able to play it otherwise. then a year later, once the sales have dropped considerably, they go "oh hay, pc version in 2 weeks with bonus content" and everyone is all like "oh **** son i want the extra content im buying the pc copy too".
oh wait i just described GOW1 didnt i? itll happen again.

good to see there's other people out there who don't get sucked in by what they are told!

DevilBlackDeath

Sep 1, 2008
Yeah exactly, they only say that for their marketing and as I said under the influence of Microsoft because Billy wants to sell X360 to the one that didn't do it yet, but they may not buy it only for Gears 2 because ChookWoods said it well, it will happen the same way that Gears 1, Gears 1 even did worse, when they started the development, it was a PC exclusive!!! But when Microsoft faced the truth of the success this game can make, they decided to ask them to mke a X360 exclusive first, then one year later, "You got the PC version (because we want more and more money with our auction in Gears and by selling you our new sh*t, I present VISTA)!!!". In the mean time, a different subject, I hope Windows 7 will be far better, with less bugs and compatibility problems especially!!!! With all those years of developing it, we can suppose it will be done!;)

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
I have never seen such loyal fans be screwed over so quickly by a developer. Sales show that if you release across all platforms you make more then exclusives. How much is Microsoft paying you guys?

EPIC needs to be removed from the PC Gaming Alliance. While I understand developers have to focus on consoles there is no good reason to not release a solid PC version of the game. PCGA is supposed to be promoting PC Gaming and we have a major title not coming to PC at all for no good reason.

screwed over.. yes and no. Yes in the sense that people who began their gow experience on the PC are now (at the moment - and many will believe it) being denied to continue that experience on the same platform. And no in the sense that gow started as a console title, and is still considered as a console title.. that's if you ask epic and microsoft ;)

They could have made it cross platform, but that would go against the whole road map of making gow a huge console success for the 360.

While Epic are making PC titles (or ports) they still have a place in the alliance, but I'm sure the fact alone of them being an engine provider gives them entitlement to being in it, even if they stopped releasing PC titles.

So EPIC, a "loyal" PC company, will not release one of its games for PC, while ID is beta testing a free Quake3 version and will open source Doom3 code.

I don't think you can compare these, epic have no obligation to automatically release gow2 for the pc. It is still considered a console exclusive, that is what epic and ms want you to believe. This forum is the minority here, the open minded are the minority too. Most people believe what they are fed on a spoon. There are probably people who have no clue gow was released on PC - these issues surrounding platforms are not existing in the majority and that's where the profit is being made. GOW was created as a console title for the 360, it was never planned as a PC title (I believe, from the early days I mean) so I don't think it can be compared to PC exclusive related operations that other studios are doing.

While EPIC answered that, they did so with the community thinking there would be another port. I think EPIC and Microsoft got angry with PC gamers not picking up more copies of Gears because EPIC wanted more sales on something most of us played on 360 and Microsft wanted to make it a hit and push Windows LIVE BS on everyone.

This is the thing, the community is going to pick apart why cliff has said this in the interview because of the fact gow1 was released on PC, some believe what he says, some don't but most read it while still expecting gow2 to come on pc too some time in the future. Angry or not about profits on the PC release, companies cannot expect to always meet their ideal profit targets. Some profit is better than none of course but what is so great is customer choice and the ability to have a great gaming experience on the platform of your choice.

DevilBlackDeath

Sep 1, 2008
GOW was created as a console title for the 360, it was never planned as a PC title (I believe, from the early days I mean) so I don't think it can be compared to PC exclusive related operations that other studios are doing.
I must recify you, I explained it so much time, Gears was first planed to be a PC exclusive, it was not even planned for 360, so Gears was first supposed to be a PC only game(which may have been a wrong choice as much as not delivering it to PC, both platform deliver a different but as much great on both sides).

This is the thing, the community is going to pick apart why cliff has said this in the interview because of the fact gow1 was released on PC, some believe what he says, some don't but most read it while still expecting gow2 to come on pc too some time in the future. Angry or not about profits on the PC release, companies cannot expect to always meet their ideal profit targets. Some profit is better than none of course but what is so great is customer choice and the ability to have a great gaming experience on the platform of your choice.

It will be released for money, if there were no question of money, maybe it should even not be released on 360 because Mike Capps loves and prefer PC version, if there were no marketing in this it may have been a PC exclusive as it was first previewed. But this, as said upper in my post, had been a wrong choice, because, even if some people don't like it on 360, it delives a great gameplay, and also on computer!!! They will release it because of marketing and of their ideology!!!!;)

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
You know what you folks are hilarious and its all good because besides what Cliff B. said the rest is opinion and speculation. I guess I am just going to go by what Epic actually says and see what happens. It may just be that PC gamers who for whatever reason refuse to get a 360 and enjoy not only Gears 2 but a wealth of other games, get the game waaay down the road when Gears 3 is released for consoles. I don't care ... I know I'll be playing the game when it comes out day one.

And like I said TO ME a real gamer cares about the game not the platform. If a game is fun enough to a person the platform is irrelevant. I came to this realization when I bought a PS2 just to play God of War ... instead of being angry it wasn't going to ever be a PC or Xbox game I just bought the hardware I needed in order to play the game and I never regretted it. I never got into any other PS2 games but it never mattered. I was not going to let the fact the game was on a platform I didn't have stop me from experiencing what is such a great game and people should do likewise for Gears 2. But hey its your lives so do what you want. Your playing or not playing, complaining or not complaining, etc. is not going to affect me. I'm done on this thread ... have fun with your continued speculation people.

On a final note I find it funny people are saying Epic is abandoning the PC in favor of consoles ... current 360 users and even PS3 users sure don't feel that way. Epic hasn't released any recent patches for the console versions and they are desperately in need of attention. Also 360 users are still a bit sour about not getting the extra chapter and chance to fight the Brumak. So folks its all a matter of perspective. When Gears 2 comes out the 360 people will be in love with Epic all over again and depending on how good this new IP from PCF is and what PC game Epic releases between Gears games (remember they do have to do one more UT game for Midway) the PC folks will be doing likewise and making apologies. The 12-18 months is going to be interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Labnetik

Trapped In Unreality
May 10, 2006
England, UK
www.acidtechno.net
I don't get why people are having such a hard time with this ... its the truth, accept it and move on. The extra content for the PC version never made it to the 360 version and as pointed out before UC2 never came to the PC. When Epic explicitly says something like this its a wrap. So for all you 360 haters move on ...

Its not like all the signs pointing to this were not laid out. I like the people who are simply saying "time to move on" ... at least they are being adult about this.

Why can't people accept that it is not coming to the PC period ... not at least for now. Its not coming ... Epic has spoken and if you can show me that they have gone contrary to what they have said I would be stunned. Are people still waiting for UC2? No ... and people should just accept that Gears 2 is not going to be a PC game. These things happen folks.

Anuban, do you believe everything you are spoon fed? such as general news reports from mainstream news channels? I don't think it's good to try forcing people to believe what has been said, considering the circumstances. The extra content might make it to the 360 eventually as a bonus - why can that be ruled out? I don't think UC2 can be brought into this discussion relating to gow as it's a UT style game specialised for console and while the console had UC, the PC had UT, there would be no reason to bring UC to the PC.

Not everyone is a 360 hater as you (appear to) so like to stereotype people when you do not agree with their comments. Some people do not want to invest in such a platform and have more reasons to stick with another platform. Consoles have their place, it does not mean they are hated though if someone has no time or money for them. Sure there's some hating here I've seen, but it's humour at the end of the day, I don't think it's possible to destroy all the consoles out there, console terrorism, whatever next? :lol:

"not at least for now" looks like you changed your mind a little :)

You are silly folks complaining about something that most intelligent people saw coming miles away

when you talk about signs, what do you mean? I don't believe there have been any signs to predict this, why would it have already been expected that epic would not (eventually) bring gow2 to the PC? expected is marketing hype, but not concrete promises.

You want to play it now you know there is only going to be the one way. Now if folks want to build up false hope that is on them.

I can only repeat myself that marketing is done to cause and effect, if I was made to believe I could only get something by putting money to a certain thing then the marketing worked.

The false hope is in my hands and I take all responsibility :D in all seriousness this doesn't bother me a great deal if gow2 never comes to the PC. It would be a nice experience sure but it's not a major thing. I admired gow1 alot and followed its progress on the way, a beautifully created game, a thrilling storyline and some of the best ever trailers ever created imo helped make it such a huge success. I thought about getting a 360 for it but am unable to put money into a 360 and PC, I love the PC because games are alot cheaper and I can use my PC for an unknown amount of tasks. From day1 I imagined gow1 on the PC and knew it would work well, so always supported for a PC release here on BU stating facts why it would make sense. My same thoughts remain for gow2, but as before with 1, my world won't fall apart if it never comes. But Epic sure knows how to cause trouble!

besides what Cliff B. said the rest is opinion and speculation.

And like I said TO ME a real gamer cares about the game not the platform. If a game is fun enough to a person the platform is irrelevant. I came to this realization when I bought a PS2 just to play God of War

But hey its your lives so do what you want.

Exactly, everyone is different and they'll do what they want/love (or can only afford to do). From the sounds of it, you have an income to be able to do what you want, even if it means buying a console just for a game, not all of us can do that. You buy a console, and then if you buy say only 6 games you've already bought the price of another console, on the PC I can get 6 games for a third of that cost.

In the ideal world gaming companies love people who are what you describe as true gamers, those who dabble in all platforms (especially if they are a multi platform studio). So I'm sure Epic love you more than most!

Anuban, don't think I am attacking you. As you know quoted comments are there when someone usually disagrees with what is said, or expands on what is said. You do have some good points which I agree with. Some people do go over the top with the hating but they really shouldn't believe everything they read in the news, so while agreeing on some things, people can disagree on others.

DevilBlackDeath

Sep 1, 2008
You know what you folks are hilarious and its all good because besides what Cliff B. said the rest is opinion and speculation. I guess I am just going to go by what Epic actually says and see what happens. It may just be that PC gamers who for whatever reason refuse to get a 360 and enjoy not only Gears 2 but a wealth of other games, get the game waaay down the road when Gears 3 is released for consoles. I don't care ... I know I'll be playing the game when it comes out day one.

And like I said TO ME a real gamer cares about the game not the platform. If a game is fun enough to a person the platform is irrelevant. I came to this realization when I bought a PS2 just to play God of War ... instead of being angry it wasn't going to ever be a PC or Xbox game I just bought the hardware I needed in order to play the game and I never regretted it. I never got into any other PS2 games but it never mattered. I was not going to let the fact the game was on a platform I didn't have stop me from experiencing what is such a great game and people should do likewise for Gears 2. But hey its your lives so do what you want. Your playing or not playing, complaining or not complaining, etc. is not going to affect me. I'm done on this thread ... have fun with your continued speculation people.

On a final note I find it funny people are saying Epic is abandoning the PC in favor of consoles ... current 360 users and even PS3 users sure don't feel that way. Epic hasn't released any recent patches for the console versions and they are desperately in need of attention. Also 360 users are still a bit sour about not getting the extra chapter and chance to fight the Brumak. So folks its all a matter of perspective. When Gears 2 comes out the 360 people will be in love with Epic all over again and depending on how good this new IP from PCF is and what PC game Epic releases between Gears games (remember they do have to do one more UT game for Midway) the PC folks will be doing likewise and making apologies. The 12-18 months is going to be interesting to watch.

You don't even try to understand PC gamers, maybe thy don't like gameplay with a pad for shooters, myself, I don't like pads for shooters, but ME, I don't blame console gamers because they like this, everybody got its own way to play, and shooters, instead of beat'em all like God of War, got different ways to play. So I don't care about platform but about how I play the game on this platform!!! And DO NOT FORGET ONE THING : You got YOUR UT3 with YOUR EXTRAS, don't you think we're in the same boat. So, before blaming others try to understand them, and remember you got Gears AND UT. And I don't either blame Epic, becausethey WILL release it on PC AND X360, because both are good platforms for this game. You say YOU are an open mind, but I think you're actually what wa can call a "fanboy" of 360 and don't understand that if a game is great on 2 platforms, it should be released on both. Imagin God of War on PC, it should be a mess to play without a pad!!! If I were able, I should buy X360, PS3, Wii, and a big computer just to buy every games on every platform IF the gameplay FIT with the console, and Gears just have a gameplay working this way!!!;)

Exactly like Labnetik I do not attack you, I just do not agree with your point of view because like I said, yes, WE have Gears extras and YOU have UT3 extras, so, alright, it's bad for both of us, and we have the chance to see a game that can fit with both pad and keyboard, God of War should never fit with a keyboard, Counter Strike should never fit with a pad, Gears fit with both, so, for players, which all have different ideas, and for them(a bit more money lol :)), I think it should be done, and I really think it will, because it's just happening EXACTLY the same way than 2-3 months before the release of Gears 1!!!!

Last edited:

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Cliff Bleszinski :I think the PC is just in disarray… what’s driving the PC right now is Sims-type games and WoW and a lot of stuff that’s in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That’s the direction PC is evolving into.

I'm shocked that people are surprised by the fact its not coming to PC.

Last edited:

DevilBlackDeath

Sep 1, 2008
You know, Cliff Bleszinski is for everyone the guru of Gears but he's actually only the artisitic leader, and as I know, not the project leader, so if the project leader finally decide to release it on PC, Cliffy just have to shut up and execute. That's why I don't really care what he says, and I totally disagree with him because I have about thirty games on my computers, the older is from 2004-2005, and I rarely play flash games and I hate MMOs like WoW(I don't blame its players at all, that's not an attack again), so, I don't really disagree, he's only wrong!!!:lol::lol::lol::D ;)

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
postings

Should anyone even listen to Clifford B?
He's part of the "machine" now and as has been said GoW2 will be ported later because Epic won't dirty their hands with the PC PORT.
They'll wait til con$ole sales of GoW2 drop and then they'll have someone ..else do it.
Without their hands in it, I'd be surprised if they don't have another poor quality port as with GoW1. (Gods, why the poor sale$??!?! O be damned those PC Gamers who want something to work the first time!)
Oh, its just too hard for Epic to do a straight up PC Game first and dumb it down for consoles.
FFS! Wouldn't it only be easier than trying to build up from a console version?
If a PC Game kicks a$$, it surely could not be that difficult to bring it down to consoles!
Sure release it to those who want to spend more money on a game first, but have the other version ready, polished, and aching to get out the door for PC.
The money then flows quite fast and you can then consume mass quantities Epic! (yea even more than you do already with your crappy (IMO) business model)