CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
You can still make money from PC gaming.

And so it begins. No more PC games for titles that sell billions on console.

i dont care about GoW but the prob with this is it could be a sign of things to come for their other games

Pretty much my take on it. I'd love to say I'm surprised, but I'm really not. Epic's been heading inexorably in this direction for a few years, but it's still sad to see.

Thank god for Valve and Blizzard.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
OK, I think I figured it out. If we destroy all the consoles right now, then they'll have to make more games for the PC, right? Who's with me? Let's go!;)

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
So EPIC, a "loyal" PC company, will not release one of its games for PC, while ID is beta testing a free Quake3 version and will open source Doom3 code.

I am sure ID is a company making money too, but you have to take your hat off for these guys. They do return something to the community that made then rich and famous.

I think getting a good brand name makes financial sense even when you are not making direct money by selling a product. e.g. Blizzard's 12 game enhancing patches to Diablo2.

I am sure there are UE3 modding teams out there, that can port GOW2 for PC for free, just to show off their skills. My point is, that even if they give it out free, they will still win (they raise up to customer's eyes). The only conclusion, is that MS is probably denying it,

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Basically, tags are here to subtlety insult other forum members when people don't want to get banned.
Though moderators can see who did them, uh oh!

Last edited:

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
I always take these "not gonna happen" annoucements with a grain of salt. Has anyone mentioned that he could be insinuating that Gearbox and not Epic is doing Gears 2 on the PC?

Gears 2 or not, I've grown fairly apathetic towards Epic Games. I guess I can see why people get worked up about it, I feel like I've spent all the energy I can being optimistic about the future of their franchises, Unreal inparticular.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
So EPIC, a "loyal" PC company, will not release one of its games for PC, while ID is beta testing a free Quake3 version and will open source Doom3 code.

I am sure ID is a company making money too, but you have to take your hat off for these guys. They do return something to the community that made then rich and famous.

id Software is a great company and I have so much respect for John Carmack. During his keynote address he did say that id Software is focusing more on consoles and that is the way the industry is right now. Carmack said it isn't economical for them to specifically target a game and do a "tour de force" in regards to pushing technology on the PC but continued to say that PC, and Mac will be supported by their future IPs. This is not word for word.

But here we have Carmack leveling with the fanbase so there are no surprises. He practically laid out id Software's business model for the next few generations. He also said RAGE would not be much better looking on PC vs consoles but I believe that is due to id Tech 5 and not us getting the lowest common denominator. Its a really great keynote for those who haven't seen it yet.

I also like that John Carmack specifically said a true Quake III Arena sequel using id tech 5 would be based off how well Quake Live does. I wonder if that would have helped with Gears of War? I like how the company is so open and tells its fanbase what they are thinking. Because I think what is really getting under peoples skin about EPIC is that we don't know what another PC release will be like in terms of quality.

Is this slapped together? Will there be one?

While EPIC answered that, they did so with the community thinking there would be another port. I think EPIC and Microsoft got angry with PC gamers not picking up more copies of Gears because EPIC wanted more sales on something most of us played on 360 and Microsft wanted to make it a hit and push Windows LIVE BS on everyone.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I always take these "not gonna happen" annoucements with a grain of salt. Has anyone mentioned that he could be insinuating that Gearbox and not Epic is doing Gears 2 on the PC?

Gears 2 or not, I've grown fairly apathetic towards Epic Games. I guess I can see why people get worked up about it, I feel like I've spent all the energy I can being optimistic about the future of their franchises, Unreal inparticular.

I don't get why people are having such a hard time with this ... its the truth, accept it and move on. Epic has never before said something will not be on a certain platform and then done it anyway. Never. The extra content for the PC version never made it to the 360 version and as pointed out before UC2 never came to the PC. When Epic explicitly says something like this its a wrap. So for all you 360 haters move on ... those of us who love the console world just as much (us true gamers who don't care about platform but rather just about having fun and playing great games) won't miss you at all. It kind of ticks me off that PC gamers would say ridiculous things about consoles just because they are angry with this decision.

I am still looking forward to Gears 2 very much and regardless of the fact it won't be on the PC the game still looks to be one of the best made shooters ever and its going to be a blast. Acting like little kids and holding some immature grudge against Epic for making this decision, causing you to miss out on a great game is simply ridiculous. Grow up. Its not like all the signs pointing to this were not laid out. I like the people who are simply saying "time to move on" ... at least they are being adult about this.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Look at this:
stonewall: There has been a lot of talk about Epic moving into PlayStation 2 development at least for the time being. Do you see the potential for Epic to grow into two separate divisions (PC and console development) or is it easy enough for developers to work on multiple platforms at the same time?

Mark: Divisions are bad. We've got a tightly integrated team that works really well together. Splitting it up into divisions wouldn't make sense. We've managed to get our engine up and running on PlayStation2 in just about two months. We've got a multiplatform engine so there's no reason why we can't be a multiplatform developer. We are good on PC and we're going to be great on PlayStation2 and we're going to be awesome on X-Box.
from http://web.archive.org/web/20010224022951/www.r-pov.com/interviews/mrein3.html

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
I never liked gears and the artistic design it took. Looks a little faggy no offense. Also, Epic went down the crapshoot with it's PC audience months ago, old news. After buying UT3 and seeing the direction Epic took months ago and how bad their multiplatforming is, I already knew I wouldn't buy another game from them. :lol:

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
I don't get why people are having such a hard time with this ... its the truth, accept it and move on. Epic has never before said something will not be on a certain platform and then done it anyway. Never. The extra content for the PC version never made it to the 360 version and as pointed out before UC2 never came to the PC. When Epic explicitly says something like this its a wrap. So for all you 360 haters move on ... those of us who love the console world just as much (us true gamers who don't care about platform but rather just about having fun and playing great games) won't miss you at all. It kind of ticks me off that PC gamers would say ridiculous things about consoles just because they are angry with this decision.

I am still looking forward to Gears 2 very much and regardless of the fact it won't be on the PC the game still looks to be one of the best made shooters ever and its going to be a blast. Acting like little kids and holding some immature grudge against Epic for making this decision, causing you to miss out on a great game is simply ridiculous. Grow up. Its not like all the signs pointing to this were not laid out. I like the people who are simply saying "time to move on" ... at least they are being adult about this.

"True gamers" are those who love to game on whatever platform they like and choose to play on, while having fun with whatever game they so choose. Now perhaps you can grow up and get over yourself.
I don't see Gears 2,3,4 ...being anywhere near the "best made shooters ever". I won't say it doesn't look like fun, but if you don't like console gaming it won't matter how much "fun" it is. And, as has been said, the graphics were washed out and boring for Gears 1. Notice something yet? I've not mentioned any particular console nor expressed any hatred towards consoles themselves.
The strong reactions you are reading are about EPIC and their selling-out, this really has nothing to do with the platform its going on (just the one its not). EPIC has given us false hopes in the past and continues to do so. For EPIC to be on the PC Gaming Alliance just seems more like a halfhearted attempt to make loyal UT PC fans consider them to be straight forward, when its all just smoke and mirrors.
The PC is now the Redheaded stepchild to epic, that was made clear by Clifford B's statements. Yay for maturity.

Vhyndikator

Man of the Sea
Mar 2, 2008
AH! Feck, I bought and fought through the campaign of Gears I just to play this one! Blah. Maybe a guy in Korea will convert it to PC.

Grogan

Epic can fit their games right up their arses, now that they are in bed with Microsoft. Gears of War was a fun game (I bought it a few months ago) but it's got a lot of bugs, one of which is inexcusable. A broken save game system. I've lost my progress more times than I can count in that game and have resorted to having to back up a deeply buried database file (In an XLive directory) before exiting the game in case it corrupts it. Anything that says Microsoft anywhere on the box is bound to be perverted.

Pisses me off though, because the end cut scene leads up to a sequel and I was planning on getting it.

An Xbox 360 is the last thing I would ever buy.

Kantham's endurance maps are better than the goddamned campaign anyways.

Community created content is what makes Unreal Tournament 3 what it is for me too.

Still waiting for that Linux port of Unreal Tournament 3 also... one thing I can't stand is vapourware. I've long since resigned myself to having to keep a Windows installation around for games (and I've bought many more since), but at the time I never would have bought UT3 had I known. But that was then.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas

Anuban, not everyone here owns a 360 and this move is a sign that EPIC may not make games for PC for quite some time. I have been supporting EPIC with my money for nearly a decade and if you want to talk about bashing a platform EPIC has been on a campaign sniping at PC acting like idiots contradicting each other in the process. This happened after poor sales on PC of half finished games or bad ports that were loaded with Windows LIVE crap.

Plenty of developers made a great transition to include consoles while still supporting PC but EPIC's approach was to treat PC like an afterthought not giving us their best work/polish on games and then screwing over the mod community and PC fanbase. I'm amazed you don't get why people are angry about this. If you want to hear little kids go to Xbox Live. lol We are discussing legitamate issues. Its not all about missing a great game as well. I don't want to support this behavior. If it suits them EPIC will screw over the console community as well. There are other dimensions to this you are just not getting. That said I have no issues with for example Bungie because their intentions were clear from day 1 and they never pretended to bring anything to PC. EPIC strung us along.

I will be playing this on my neighbors 360 who is fine with that. -60.00 to you EPIC. :) actually 70.00 as I usually like the behind the scenes and making of footage that comes with collector's editions but couldn't care less about that now.

Last edited:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
"True gamers" are those who love to game on whatever platform they like and choose to play on, while having fun with whatever game they so choose. Now perhaps you can grow up and get over yourself.
I don't see Gears 2,3,4 ...being anywhere near the "best made shooters ever". I won't say it doesn't look like fun, but if you don't like console gaming it won't matter how much "fun" it is. And, as has been said, the graphics were washed out and boring for Gears 1. Notice something yet? I've not mentioned any particular console nor expressed any hatred towards consoles themselves.
The strong reactions you are reading are about EPIC and their selling-out, this really has nothing to do with the platform its going on (just the one its not). EPIC has given us false hopes in the past and continues to do so. For EPIC to be on the PC Gaming Alliance just seems more like a halfhearted attempt to make loyal UT PC fans consider them to be straight forward, when its all just smoke and mirrors.
The PC is now the Redheaded stepchild to epic, that was made clear by Clifford B's statements. Yay for maturity.

Someone who barely posts around here has some nerve telling me to grow up. You are silly folks complaining about something that most intelligent people saw coming miles away and you tell me to grow up. Maybe you ought to spend some time trying to act like an adult. Believe me it works very well in situations like this. And you really need to learn to make sense if you are going to make posts. Epic has not given anyone false hope ... not this time around that is for sure. They are telling PC gamers straight up that Gears 2 is not coming on that platform ... no jerking people around. You want to play it now you know there is only going to be the one way. Now if folks want to build up false hope that is on them.

Also this isn't Gears 1 in response to statement about the graphics. You need to keep up and pay attention if you are going to reference things about Gears 2 graphics ... you obviously have not seen any of the new videos that showcase the greatly improved graphics (in terms of color, lighting, water interaction, etc.). And you are entitled to your opinion but the fact is that Gears of War has been critically hailed as one of the best shooters ever for what it is ... a cinematic, bloody, gory, rollercoaster ride of a game. When you look at all that Epic is doing for Gears 2 I don't think it is a stretch at all to say it will also be hailed as one of the best shooters ever by the vast majority and by professional critics. I really don't care that you don't agree about this ... its obvious you are not a big fan of the series so I doubt you can be objective ... but in any event I don't care.

Also despite all the console hating going on around here there are obviously more than enough console gamers who enjoy playing games like this (nearly 5 million gamers have spoken with their wallets), so I don't think Epic is concerned with people who don't like console gaming. Its pretty much irrevelant in real world terms. The majority of UE3 based games have seen good to great success on the consoles and Epic plans on making sure things only get better. And finally my definition of a true gamer is someone who loves games regardless of the platform ... if the game is fun they play it and enjoy it and don't get up in ridiculous platform wars, now that is my opinion if you think otherwise fine, again I could care less ... it doesn't make sense to me to see it any other way. I know lots of PC gamers on this site like to have this feeling of superiority over their gaming brethren ... and it really is silly imo. At any rate Gears 2 is console only and that is that. If you are not going to get it fine ... no need to say negative things though.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Epic can fit their games right up their arses, now that they are in bed with Microsoft. Gears of War was a fun game (I bought it a few months ago) but it's got a lot of bugs, one of which is inexcusable. A broken save game system. I've lost my progress more times than I can count in that game and have resorted to having to back up a deeply buried database file (In an XLive directory) before exiting the game in case it corrupts it. Anything that says Microsoft anywhere on the box is bound to be perverted.

Pisses me off though, because the end cut scene leads up to a sequel and I was planning on getting it.

An Xbox 360 is the last thing I would ever buy.

Kantham's endurance maps are better than the goddamned campaign anyways.

Community created content is what makes Unreal Tournament 3 what it is for me too.

Still waiting for that Linux port of Unreal Tournament 3 also... one thing I can't stand is vapourware. I've long since resigned myself to having to keep a Windows installation around for games (and I've bought many more since), but at the time I never would have bought UT3 had I known. But that was then.

I don't know what your problems are but Epic fixed that bug a while back. I have not lost any progress since I patched my game. Gears 2 runs just fine now and does not have any major bugs (not offline for the SP campaign at least).

Anuban, not everyone here owns a 360 and this move is a sign that EPIC may not make games for PC for quite some time. I have been supporting EPIC with my money for nearly a decade and if you want to talk about bashing a platform EPIC has been on a campaign sniping at PC acting like idiots contradicting each other in the process. This happened after poor sales on PC of half finished games or bad ports that were loaded with Windows LIVE crap.

Plenty of developers made a geat transition to include consoles while still supporting PC but EPIC's approach was to treat PC like an afterthought not giving us their best work/polish on games and then screwing over the mod community and PC fanbase. I'm amazed you don't get why people are angry about this. If you want to hear little kids go to Xbox Live. lol We are discussing legitamate issues. Its not all about missing a great game as well. I don't want to support this behavior. If it suits them EPIC will screw over the console community as well. There are other dimensions to this you are just not getting. That said I have no issues with Bungie because their intentions were clear from day 1. EPIC strung us along.

I will be playing this on my neighbors 360 who is fine with that. -60.00 to you EPIC. :)

Dark Sector is not on PCs nor is it coming to PCs, Halo 3 is not coming to PCs, there are plenty of great games that are always going to be console only so I don't get what your point is on that. Console gamers were not happy when the PC gamers got that extra chapter and the battle with the Brumak but Epic made a decision and stuck with it. Again I don't agree that Epic strung anyone along when it comes to Gears 2. They are letting people know well in advance of the games release that it will only be on the 360.

And please about not everyone having a 360. Man that is like when people say not everyone can afford a gaming PC and ALL the PC folks around here get all crazy and start pricing them for people and telling folks how $700 is not expensive and all that stuff. So now those of us who have 360s will tell you folks that the console can be had for less than $300 and then you can play this great game. Hell top notch GPUs cost more than that and you PC folks are complaining. It is to funny. Heck I have all major platforms (for high end gaming) and yet I will never say one is better than the other.

Each platform has its strengths and weaknesses and for me it comes to the game and how it is implemented (how it plays) on the given platform. And I don't play online so I don't worry about hearing little kids ... its why Gears 2 will do even better ... bot support means I can play all the same maps without the online hassle. But yeah if I actually wanted to play online I wouldn't mind ... at least there is a healthy online community that keeps the game active ... unlike UT3 PC. And as far as supporting Epic ... man I have supported them as much if not more so than anyone around here. Having bought all three versions of UT3, UT2K4, UT2K3, Unreal 2, UT99 (and I am not talking about the new Anthology pack ... except for Unreal and UT99 I bought these all when they were released), UC2, UT99 (PS2), Gears 360, and Gears PC (well I won this but still I probably would have bought it), I feel I can speak with some amount of credibility. Its not like I just started buying Epic games or only have two or three.

One last thing ... I don't know if you people just like to gloss over the fact that People Can Fly is now a branch of Epic so when they make a game it will have Epic's name on it ... so in this way Epic is definitely still making games for the PC ... the new IP from PCF is for all major platforms (except the Wii). And again we don't know what Epic will do in between Gears 2 and Gears 3 (which may not ship until the next new console from MS anyway) ... they have not said that they are done making games for the PC and lets not forget the MSUC ... this still shows that Epic has an interest in keeping the PC platform alive for modders. It could be that UT4 will be out in a couple of years. Epic is definitely going to do something else in-between the Gears games ... so lets cut them some slack and wait and see.

Last edited: