CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

os][ris

May 10, 2006
At this point I'm not surprised at anything Epic does. I've moved on to other games and can appreciate company's who don't do bull**** like this.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
At this point, nobody knows how popular Quake Live is going to be. It's not out, it's ad supported, it's possibly not as good as CPMA (the only part of Q3 still being actively played afaik) so who knows what will happen. Free doesn't always mean "better". Just look at Warsow and FEAR Combat. They have their niches, but they aren't popular.

Sindarin

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 15, 2004
We've decided we're not going to do a PC version this time around.
:(

I enjoyed Gears PC even after playing through the 360 version twice. I sold my 360 a while back and was looking forward to picking up Gears 2 for PC.

Disappointing.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
GoW isn't really an outstanding game, but it's solid enough. I liked the style, with a mix of sci-fi and old architecture. Sure, there are better games, but I still would have liked to play it.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
os][ris;2178764 said:
At this point I'm not surprised at anything Epic does. I've moved on to other games and can appreciate company's who don't do bull**** like this.

I guess you haven't learned your lesson yet ?
Companies will do "bull**** like this" because they need to survive.

Only very few are willing to suffer for art ... the rest just wants their bread buttered regardless of who is paying.

And the ones that haven't done this (like Blizzard) yet are in such an enviable position that they need not worry about money and can afford to waste resources on little projects like this.

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
Survive?

Only very few are willing to suffer for art ... the rest just wants their bread buttered regardless of who is paying.

And the ones that haven't done this (like Blizzard) yet are in such an enviable position that they need not worry about money and can afford to waste resources on little projects like this.

They weren't surviving before eh? 2k4 (for some reason..unknown to me) was wicked successful, they were not scraping by. Their engine kicked a$$ and everyone seemed happy (at least the 2k4 fans). The rest just kept holding on to the glimmer of hope that turned out to be UT3. UT3 is sort of ok when compared to the original UT. A couple more patches it might become the best.
Anyway, what sense does it make to not make it for the PC first and then dumb it down for consoles? Good gods, look at the UI for UT3, what an abortion (EPIC even said it was F'd) all because of it being designed for crap-a$$ consoles.
They had a formula, it made money ON ALL PLATFORMS, and yet their greedy little mits weren't filled enough.
You make it sound like they're selling paintings on the street and going home to a shelter.
Bleeding hearts be damned! Epic wants big money and that's all there is to it. Cliffy wants more sports cars to get more women and live the high life (as the does rest of Epic). It won't be on my dime anymore!
Sickening but there are other PC games of high quality out that will get my money.
Perhaps when the day comes that consoles are a thing of the past (I could only wish), then they may return to their roots wholeheartedly.
Oh and I'll n'er play Gears of Whatever on any platform as it stands already.
I just hope that this site won't lose PC game focus.

Last edited:

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
Survive?

They weren't surviving before eh? 2k4 (for some reason..unknown to me) was wicked successful, they were not scraping by. Their engine kicked a$$ and everyone seemed happy (at least the 2k4 fans). The rest just kept holding on to the glimmer of hope that turned out to be UT3. UT3 is sort of ok when compared to the original UT. A couple more patches it might become the best.
Anyway, what sense does it make to not make it for the PC first and then dumb it down for consoles? Good gods, look at the UI for UT3, what an abortion (EPIC even said it was F'd) all because of it being designed for crap-a$$ consoles.
They had a formula, it made money ON ALL PLATFORMS, and yet their greedy little mits weren't filled enough.
You make it sound like they're selling paintings on the street and going home to a shelter.
Bleeding hearts be damned! Epic wants big money and that's all there is to it. Cliffy wants more sports cars to get more women and live the high life (as the does rest of Epic). It won't be on my dime anymore!
Sickening but there are other games of high quality out that will get my money.
Perhaps when the day comes that consoles are a thing of the past (I could only wish), then they may return to their roots wholeheartedly.
Oh and I'll n'er play Gears of Whatever on any platform as it stands already.
I just hope that this site won't lose PC game focus.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Looks like this was the final straw that broke the Camels back for quite alot of people here..

This has to be a record or something, Epic has quite consistantly put their foot in their mouth as of late, but this is definately the most animosity i've seen in a BUF news post thus far, hell, i haven't seen this many depressed and/or angry fans since.. Daikatana :lol:

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
grobut, most fans are not that angry,
just the angry ones shout loud,

this is the way the bussiness goes,
if they dont make the game, we will not play it, is that simple,

most of us are not buying a console to play the game, is just that, im not angry at all,
i can play other games,

we can play other games,
let epic chose the way they want to sell their games,

and other thing,
it will be good to see how this baby sells on 360,
for the first one, there was an unprecedented marketing machinery, and the game was new,
but now, ppl will know how the game is, because they have played the first part(no, i dont believe is a diferent bigger/badder/weirder game more than ever, we all know this game will be gow1+new weapons+new levels+new fancy graphic effects).

If the five million of sales repeats, we will know that epic is doing well, and will keep moving foward on that direction, (assumming their purpose is to sell games, not opening a disccusion about if macdonals is gourmet bacause it does sell lots of burgers)

If this time, players know what kind of game are they buying before playing it, and lots of them dont like it, there will be less sales. So epic will re-think their business strategy .

If youre not playing gow2, go play another one, is that simple.
Play Crysis warhead/insert another good action game here instead, is coming soon, you will like it.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
grobut, most fans are not that angry,
just the angry ones shout loud,

this is the way the bussiness goes,
if they dont make the game, we will not play it, is that simple,

most of us are not buying a console to play the game, is just that, im not angry at all,
i can play other games,

we can play other games,
let epic chose the way they want to sell their games,

What the hell was that?

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
And so it begins. No more PC games for titles that sell billions on console.

i dont care about GoW but the prob with this is it could be a sign of things to come for their other games

Last edited:

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
they didn't do the blizzard way, even if theycould have done it. blizzard makes great PC games that sell well, an epic could hav edone it, too, because they already made a grat games (UT/UT2) but they choose the other way...