M4A1 RO979

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
Although someones of you might appear like --> :eek: I would like to point out that there are many more M4 than M4A1, since they are totally different weapons. The M4 is used by most of infantry (with M16A4) while the M4A1 is used *only* by SOF, who are of course the minority of the US.Army.

So I kindly ask you again to fix that, plzthxkbai :D

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
[5thSFG]Mitchell;2177588 said:
Although someones of you might appear like --> :eek: I would like to point out that there are many more M4 than M4A1, since they are totally different weapons. The M4 is used by most of infantry (with M16A4) while the M4A1 is used *only* by SOF, who are of course the minority of the US.Army.

So I kindly ask you again to fix that, plzthxkbai :D
1. The correct catchphrase is "would you kindly" ;)
2. Since you're obviously in posession of more information than I am, I'd ask you to detail on the numbers in use by the US Army of M4s, M4A1s and M4A1 SOPMODs (don't care if Block I or II).
3. Since you're obviously in posession of more information than I am, I'd ask you to detail on differences between M4 and M4A1 other than the fire modes.
If possible please cite sources.

Since you can't know it by now don't take the following personal: The next time I see a kthxbai (or variation thereof) directed at me you've made my ignore list.

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
my source are some US. former soldiers, including a Major currently deployed in Iraq. :)
I'll let you know ASAP. ;)

Oh man, did you take it so bad the "plz" thing and the period itself? :(
sorry, never intented to.

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
Here is what the Major wrote discussing about differences between M4 and M4A1:

"As far as the differences between the M4 and M4A1. Only the first shipment of M4s did not have the M1913 Picatinny Rail installed with removable carrying handle. So, no real difference there. There is, of course, the difference in select fire options between the two. Beyond that, there are some minor differences between more recent shipments of M4A1s over the M4. There is a heavier barrel variant and the Army makes no distinction between it and the "normal" M4A1. There is also a different buffer assembly. These differences are very minor though and the average person would be very hard-pressed to detect the differences. I imagine there are probably some shooters with sufficient trigger time and talent that could detect the difference between the two during firing. Though I would submit that the differences between the two is so minor you could almost mistake them for the "character" of the weapon."

so, the only very relevant difference for new models is the fire-mode, because newer M4 have as well the M1913 Picatinny rail, just like the M4A1.
It's up to you if portray in game the heavier barrel or not, or removing the M1913 (but doing so would result in removing all the scopes too).

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
[5thSFG]Mitchell;2177625 said:
Oh man, did you take it so bad the "plz" thing and the period itself? :(
sorry, never intented to.
No sweat :) - I've just only seen the "kthxbai" used in very disrespectful context, so I usually connect it with something like "go fuck yourself you stupid asshole". I assumed you didn't meant it that way and I just wanted to prevent further misunderstandings - though I assume on these forums I'll get it in every post directed at me from now on :lol:

[5thSFG]Mitchell;2177629 said:
so, the only very relevant difference for new models is the fire-mode, because newer M4 have as well the M1913 Picatinny rail, just like the M4A1.
It's up to you if portray in game the heavier barrel or not, or removing the M1913 (but doing so would result in removing all the scopes too).
Well, that's what I've found too. Since I'm not really able to change the barrel model and I don't know how different they look I'll just ignore this part. The front grip will also be not entirely correct since it's from a SOPMOD version, but once again that's the model.

FYI I decided to go with "M4 RO979" as in-game designation, although RO920 would be technically correct(er) - the package will remain names INF_M4A1_RO979 though - changing this would be a shitload of work; plus people can still see I basically ripped it off the INFMOD_M4A1 :D.

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
No sweat :) - I've just only seen the "kthxbai" used in very disrespectful context, so I usually connect it with something like "go fuck yourself you stupid asshole". I assumed you didn't meant it that way and I just wanted to prevent further misunderstandings - though I assume on these forums I'll get it in every post directed at me from now on :lol:

I never thought it could be used in that way :shy:

FYI I decided to go with "M4 RO979" as in-game designation, although RO920 would be technically correct(er) - the package will remain names INF_M4A1_RO979 though - changing this would be a shitload of work; plus people can still see I basically ripped it off the INFMOD_M4A1 :D.

good with that; about your last statement, are you refering to the name of the mutator?

Kueltag

Jan 31, 2008
Here's an M4 from Delta Force. It fires semi + 3 rd burst.

Here's what the readme writes about it:

M4 5.56mm Carbine Assault Rifle
Magazine: 30 round
Effective Range: 500 meters
Accessories: 4x Scope

Lightweight and accurate, the M4 is used for close quarter combat just
like its larger cousin the M16. In addition, an attached M68 reflex
sight allows for effective lethal fire at a range up to 500 meters. The
M4 is gas operated, air cooled and highly reliable in field use. A
single shot M203 Grenade Launcher is fitted to the M4 to deliver low
velocity 40 mm explosive ammunition. The rifle/grenade launcher
marriage replaces the need for single purpose weapons such as the M79
grenade launcher.

Attachments

• EasyCapture_1053.jpg
    EasyCapture_1053.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 20
  • EasyCapture_1054.jpg
    EasyCapture_1054.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 19
  • EasyCapture_1055.jpg
    EasyCapture_1055.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 20

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
Sorry Snakeye, didn´t mean to "sound" rude, I was just confused if that feature was the surprise (I had a rough time to actually see the attached image, cus my Firefox someway dislike BUF´s attached thmbnails 8? ) but it wouldn´t be a surprise at all if you just spoil it with a pic, right? ;)
By the way, outstanding job achieving a way to put all available forty-mike nades in a single weapon (hope this compliment may redeem my misunderstanding =) and I hope to see the "surprise' after all (too damn curious right now lol)
ohhh, and I didn´t expect to see a magcheck for a GL... but your statement is quite funny (Monty python style) Keep up the great work, man!

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
[5thSFG]Mitchell;2177698 said:
good with that; about your last statement, are you refering to the name of the mutator?
I meant the name of the package (.u, .ini and .int-files) - it's used in the scripts to refer to classes a.s.o. so changing the package name results in changing a lot of code - or forgetting to change. The mutator displayed in the mutator selection screen will be named "M4 RO979" since can be named as wished.

Here's an M4 from Delta Force. It fires semi + 3 rd burst.
As a general rule computer games are an awfully bad source for information on military hardware. I spent quite a while believing a 30mm PGU-14B (GAU8 DU round) was able to pierce 250mm of reinforced armor because M1A2 Tank Platoon manual said so :lol:. Not that ~56mm at 60° angle is a bad value..

Corporal_Lib [BR];2177722 said:
Sorry Snakeye, didn´t mean to "sound" rude, I was just confused if that feature was the surprise (I had a rough time to actually see the attached image, cus my Firefox someway dislike BUF´s attached thmbnails 8? ) but it wouldn´t be a surprise at all if you just spoil it with a pic, right? ;)
By the way, outstanding job achieving a way to put all available forty-mike nades in a single weapon (hope this compliment may redeem my misunderstanding =) and I hope to see the "surprise' after all (too damn curious right now lol)
I didn't get it rude and to be honest the real work has been done by Yurch for his M16 and HK69 in the new40mm mutator - which must be present (not active) btw. to use the M433 HEDP, M397 HE and M576 MP; you can use the RO979 without but then you're restricted to 4 nade types. It still was more than a matter of 15mins for me, but since I knew there was a working solution I was able to get a lot of things done by copy&paste and had a good idea which functions specific to the M4 had to be changed.

And don't get hyped by the "perhaps surprise" thing I mentioned - right now it's more a perhaps than a surprise..

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
Hey Snakeye, good work on getting all the 40mm types in for the one weapon, if that part works fine online and offline, perhaps you could try expanding that area to include all 40mm M203 equipped weapons (SOPMOD M4a1, M4 RO979, HK416, M16a4, etc) and the Hk69? One thing that always bothered me after Yurch found a work-around for the limit on ammunition types was why he did allow all 40mm weapons to have all the types of rounds then ingame, and allow them to be interchangable.

My memory might be a bit off, but IMT's M16a4 was already out with it's incinderary 'nades, but Yurches 40mm nades mute didn't give it too the M16a2 and Hk69. It would be purely wonderful if all the rounds could be available to be used for all the weapons! BTW, what was the other thing you were hinting at/discussing? My mind is kinda scattered ATM, but all i picked up on was the 40mm nades and some mention of MagCheck.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Hey Snakeye, good work on getting all the 40mm types in for the one weapon, if that part works fine online and offline, perhaps you could try expanding that area to include all 40mm M203 equipped weapons (SOPMOD M4a1, M4 RO979, HK416, M16a4, etc) and the Hk69? One thing that always bothered me after Yurch found a work-around for the limit on ammunition types was why he did allow all 40mm weapons to have all the types of rounds then ingame, and allow them to be interchangable.

My memory might be a bit off, but IMT's M16a4 was already out with it's incinderary 'nades, but Yurches 40mm nades mute didn't give it too the M16a2 and Hk69. It would be purely wonderful if all the rounds could be available to be used for all the weapons! BTW, what was the other thing you were hinting at/discussing? My mind is kinda scattered ATM, but all i picked up on was the 40mm nades and some mention of MagCheck.

To be honest adding the workaround is a bit of a pain in the ass, even if it's just a copy&paste for most of the part, so don't expect me doing it for all 40mm-able weapons. The M16A2 and Hk69 could be changed rather easily since the new40mm already allows for a maximum of 16 ammo types - although it's not my mutator and I still see a difference between using code without explicit permission and changing and releasing a whole mutator without explicit permission.

The other thing I was hinting was a "perhaps surprise" that will or will not make it into the mutator. Last the it was more on the perhaps side, by now I'm pretty positive it will make it in, unless I run into serious BS during online tests. Don't be too excited though, it's a rather small surprise.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Okay, here we go:

I just finished my (limited) testing of version 1.00 and think it's ready for a release. Note though that due to the large number of changes there might be more bugs present than usual.

Just a few words to the new version:
-To use Yurchs 40mm nades you'll need his new40mm mutator in your UT\System folder.
-To use MagCheck the mutator must be present in your UT\System folder AND active in the mutator list.
-To enable the XM1060 (the small surprise I mentioned before) you'll need to set the ini-file variable "bAllowXM1060" to "True".

I know some will probably shake their heads that I attempted to add a new grenade to Inf, even more one where so little data is available as is the case for the XM1060. But it was like a sweet sirens voice whispering into my ear "thermobaric grenade, thermobaric grenade, do the XM1060" - so on the retrospect I'm glad she didn't tell me to kill someone. For more information on the implementation of the XM1060 read the readme or just ask here if you have questions. I tried to get it as close to "life" as I was able for a first try, but he result, while basically doing what I intended to, may still be horrible - hence the ini-file option set to disable it by default. If you have any more accurate data on the XM1060 or thermobaric grenades please contact me - any information is greatly appreciated.

Have fun and please report back any bugs you find (did I say there might be more this time?)

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhh... now we want those improvements in M4A1 too! (does the thermobaric grenade will be included to the SOPMOD and others 40mmied rfiles?) OK, at least the Magcheck function for M4A1 SOPMOD is good enough ;D

EDIT: nevermind... I´ve just got a guess and I´ve found a earlier version of both M4a1 and M4 improvements in UT/Infilttration/System..so it was overriding the new one... my fault! Great job Snake...waiting for the new version of the M4A1 improved with magcheck! ;D

Last edited:

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
I just read EGMs trouble report on COOP forums and it seems he's experiencing some very weird stuff after adding the 1.00 Version. I advise to excercise caution and at least backup your UT\System folder before adding the new RO979 mutator version in case you have the same troubles or use the last stable version until we found teh root of the problem!

Corporal_Lib [BR];2180976 said:
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhh... now we want those improvements in M4A1 too! (does the thermobaric grenade will be included to the SOPMOD and others 40mmied rfiles?) OK, at least the Magcheck function for M4A1 SOPMOD is good enough ;D

EDIT: nevermind... I´ve just got a guess and I´ve found a earlier version of both M4a1 and M4 improvements in UT/Infilttration/System..so it was overriding the new one... my fault! Great job Snake...waiting for the new version of the M4A1 improved with magcheck! ;D

MagCheck is planned for the next M4A1Improvements, as well as the upping of nade types IF no serious bugs are found in the RO979 concerning this functionality. Don't expect it too soon though, I guess it will be a couple of weeks since I'm rather busy at the moment.

As for the XM1060 I'd rather wait for some feedback before even considering to add it to another weapon.

Last edited:

Corporal_Lib [BR]

I´ve just read his post...its kinda overpanic´d, I had an older version of M4A1 imporvements and M4A1 RO979 at my UT/Infiltration?System folder (ohh boy, don´t know why it was there) and this caused the mutator to not work properly, but just removing those files wrongly adrressed and VOILÁ, it worked as a charm... I´m also using the thermobaric and M406 HE grenades and its all fine Sir! (It´s a nice weapon to clear those Nali shacks full of monsters inside..just one and KABOOM ;D

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Corporal_Lib [BR];2181155 said:
I´ve just read his post...its kinda overpanic´d..
Well, I'd rather play it safe if one person experiences problems I'm inclined to put a big red warning label even if I (and others) didn't have problems. Even if a single person experiences problems that's a single person too much for me - and a complete reinstall is about the worst case scenario I could imagine, so getting to the root of it is absolutely imperative.

I'm still glad you can run it fine, since this indicates a configuration problem and not a general mutator FUBAR ;)

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
I tested your M4 RO979 now, and I found a couple of strange things, not sure if they are the same reported into EGMs.
1) I cannot use thermobaric grenades, same for other models
2) When I launched the Training, it took a while before starting, although after a couple of secs I clearly heard the rifle noise when you prepare your weapon for fight, yet the screen remains the loading one.

Olethros

Functional alcoholic
I got a GPF on round change while testing it, but I'm not sure if it was related to this mutator. I'll see if it happens again.

Other than that, the magazine checking seems to be a little fast. For the next and future version of IMC I've tried to implement about 1.2 seconds pause for all weapons. I.e:

- Play "Remove magazine" anim -> FinishAnim()
- Pause 0.5 seconds.
- Play "Tap grenade pin" sound.
- Pause 0.7 seconds.
- Display mag state message.
- Play "Insert magazine" anim -> FinishAnim()

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
[5thSFG]Mitchell;2181192 said:
I tested your M4 RO979 now, and I found a couple of strange things, not sure if they are the same reported into EGMs.
1) I cannot use thermobaric grenades, same for other models
2) When I launched the Training, it took a while before starting, although after a couple of secs I clearly heard the rifle noise when you prepare your weapon for fight, yet the screen remains the loading one.

@1: Did you set the "bAllowXM1060" to "True" in the ini? Which other models? Do you have Yurchs new40mm mutator - M397, M433 and M576 will ONLY work if the mutator is present (as is stated in the readme..)?
@2: Does your inf crash in the process? If so could you post/pm the infiltration.log and infiltration.ini files?

I got a GPF on round change while testing it, but I'm not sure if it was related to this mutator. I'll see if it happens again.
If it happens again and is related to the mutator I'd apprechiate your infiltration.ini and infiltration.log posted/pmed - I suspect there is some conflicting mutator that I don't use, though I'm not really sure which one it might be. My best bet would be that I use a different version of new40mm.

- Play "Remove magazine" anim -> FinishAnim()
- Pause 0.5 seconds.
- Play "Tap grenade pin" sound.
- Pause 0.7 seconds.
- Display mag state message.
- Play "Insert magazine" anim -> FinishAnim()
Will try..