Games you love and hate at the same time

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I'm sure everyone's got at least one.
That game that you absolutely can't stand playing because of whatever, but keep coming back to.
Or that game that you love playing, but absolutely suck at.

Shadowrun would be on the top of my list.

The game was A LOT of fun to play, as well as offered a version of FPS multiplayer gaming that I hadn't seen before, with the magic and artifacts and all. Very diverse, very tactical, very actionpacked. Also, xbox360 vs PC play is awesome.

Yet it had a few flaws. Flaws that killed the game before it was even launched.

1. The name. Shadowrun fans expected an actual shadowrun game, not an FPS game that only shared its name.
2. It required XBL to play online. At all. Even on home-made servers. I for one will not pay MS a single cent for something that is free. This resulted in VERY few PC players.
3. It required Vista to play. This resulted in even fewer PC players.
4. The PC side of the game was absolutely gimped. Xbox players got more health, more weapon damage, the mouse aim was crap, no widescreen support, horrible pings due to XBoxLag servers.
5. Xbox players tend to play a game for 1-2 months top, then go back to halo or the next 'top' game. This was the end of ANY population in shadowrun.

This killed the game within a month. And it's such a shame, because I loved (and still love) playing it. Still looking for a game that offers a similar approach to FPS.

What's yours?

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Mass Effect. I'm a huge Bioware fan and this game was pretty much brilliant with good writing, an interesting plot, very good acting and a strong sense of empowement for the player. I also liked the combat. That being said, there are so many missed opportunities, so many available paths that are only cosmetic differences, the choices you make doesn't affect the personal relationships you have with party members (and it REALLY should) almost at all, etc. It's nit picking, but when something almost gets it perfect it can be pretty frustrating.

~Jason

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Definitively CoD4. Hate & Love it. I always flip out at least once a month to the point I'd get involved in serious real life, physical and mental conflicts. I try to keep things easy and just remember that it is just a game.

The game has it's own issues and crappy community that surrounds it. For the gameplay I think some weapons are really uncalled for, especially the "noobtube", RPG, Claymores and P90, as they are really annoying weapons that doesn't require as much brain a point and click would. There are also perks that could fade away with please. Especially Martyrdom and Last stand (Hardcore annoyance).

To me, CoD4 isn't always just a point and click, it test your reflexes, ameliorate them, and give you that survival kind of feeling soldiers would get in a battle field (Hardcore specifically) without the real experience. Sometimes you also have to think, and try to shot trough walls to get to them.

That's where I often get kicked, or banned by clan pubs because they think I hack. And I get upset about getting kicked for such reasons. The community is also filled with drama, there's hardly a game where everyone will fully enjoy a complete match, without calling someone camper, hacker, faggot, or yet call BS because of X reasons.

Last edited:

Sabo

Feb 10, 2004
rofl, I love trolling players who accuse me of bunnyhopping on cod4, I tell them to l2play etc.

Especially admins who kick for it, wtf kind of rule is 'no bunnyhopping?' rofl

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Grand Theft Auto ... it's fun, but at the same time there's hideously annoying missions that usually are ff-ing impossible due to the way the game breaks its own rules during missions.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I guess I'd have to say the Fallout franchise. Fallout1 rules, FO2 is great, but almost too gimmicky, Fallout Tactics was fun but I felt cheated out of the RPG experience but I still had fun... even though I cursed this game for not being a proper Fallout title. I will also play Bethesda's Fallout 3, I might even like it but I know, or at least I am very certain, that I'll hate Fallout3, simply because I know that the real dudes behind the Fallout franchise had been far into development of the real FO3... which would'Ve been Fallout1/2 with even more things to do/collect/affect/etc.

**** YOU HERVE CAEN!!!
**** you for singlehandedly ruining Interplay!
**** you **** you **** you **** you!
rofl, I love trolling players who accuse me of bunnyhopping on cod4, I tell them to l2play etc.

Especially admins who kick for it, wtf kind of rule is 'no bunnyhopping?' rofl

wtf is bunnyhopping supposed to do anyways? I've killed so many idiots too focused on repeatedly hitting jump instead of aiming and shooting.

edit: see? I love anything fallout but the moment I think about the franchise the **** yous keep rolling out

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
Vampire : the masquerade.

I love that game, lots of dice to throw and all, I love the athmosphere, especially with a good game master.
I HATE the fact that you're never powerful. you always have someone bigger, badder than you that can kill you immediately and not even gain XP because it's so easy for him. :(

the only way to get powerful is by drinking other vampires. the problem is that once you do that, vampires come and decapitate you. :(

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Vampire : the masquerade.

I love that game, lots of dice to throw and all, I love the athmosphere, especially with a good game master.
I HATE the fact that you're never powerful. you always have someone bigger, badder than you that can kill you immediately and not even gain XP because it's so easy for him. :(

the only way to get powerful is by drinking other vampires. the problem is that once you do that, vampires come and decapitate you. :(

and don't forget the bugs that kept you from finishing the game.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I always flip out at least once a month to the point I'd get involved in serious real life, physical and mental conflicts.

:lol: damn. You should put the "It's just a game" sign on top of your TV.

There's been a couple games along the way I've had a love/hate relationship with. I'll go with most recently.

Black and White 2. I enjoyed BW1 so much that when I saw the updated graphics and gameplay elements coming in 2 I thought this would be game of the year material.
After playing it I found it's all one big dirty tease. The game is visually stunning and the addition of RTS elements to the Godgame sound great on paper.

Unfortunately that aspect didn't really work at all. Armies were weak, creating them just wasted the only men left in your city. They also dumbed down your creature, rendering him more like a servant than a pet with his own personality developing from your teaching him various things as you progress.
It became less of a Godgame and more of a glorified city-management-builder because trying to win by force was a huge drain on resources. Plus. you weren't even fighting other Gods in BW2. You were the only god, fighting instead human generals controlling their own city.

Such a shame, the game looked sooooo good. Huge potential lost. I love to play it for about 30 mins, then I get deperessed at the huge lack of depth like the first game had.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Oh sorry, I'm used to taking pot shots at my buddy John who is still addicted to CoD4 always bangin' away on it when I walk in. He's got it on X360 plays it on an HD widescreen that I keep telling him he's gonna' break someday in a fit of anger.

People get way too worked up over online shooters. I've always been one to take those casually.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
lol, got a link to the pen& paper or boardgame you were talking about?

pen&paper. it's from White Wolf (which made the whole world of darkness games : vampire, werewolf, hunter...). here's the official page : http://www.white-wolf.com/vampire/index.php

Vampire : The requiem is the latest edition, but I never played it. Sticking with the masquerade (whose rulebook is almost impossible to find).

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Whodathunk... I looked it up and that game is made by a Mark Rein Hagen.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Final Fantasy X or any random battle/turn based RPG in general. Can't stand em. You walk a few steps and BAM! Like herpes, you are smacked in the face with a forced battle. The immersion is totally ruined as it switches to the battle screen. And the fact that you have to repeat this a gazillion times to beat the game just pisses me off.

On the other hand FFX was the very first one that I actually had the patience to play all the way through and enjoy. FFXII had a greatly revamped battle system with no more random encounters. But I stopped playing because the story was too damn political and uninteresting IMO.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
People get way too worked up over online shooters. I've always been one to take those casually.

I got ya. I don't hit my monitor, I just kinda mid-yell and smash in my hand thinking it's the macro-spamming kid's neck. Bammmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Ur dead "faggot""

But I just relax then, and I don't play the game 24/7. It used to be worse. At least I am a honest person. I heard a lot of wrong things out there. Maybe there's things people do on this forum that they don't want us to know...

Oh and for people who haven't seen it, you seriously should. :lol:

Last edited:

O_DoGG

Le Boner
Nov 17, 2002
France
www.clanvega.com
X-com : UFO defense.
I frequently play it on my pda, and though it's absolutely awesome, its level of difficulty makes me stop playing it now and then to avoid throwing the damn thing through the room. Turn-based combat I can handle, but I just can't acquire and produce new technologies fast enough before big badass alien spaceships are all over the place destroying my empire, without me being able to put up a fight.