UT3Dom

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I was able to play on that server after deleting the old version of UTMT. monday afternoon est there were a few good matches, it was 3v3 at one point. So i'm glad some people have taken an interest in it :p Though I wish the server had mapvote and 4-team on. >.>

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
I've played this a lot more, now, and have some additional observations.

First off, the green and gold teams operate exactly ilike in UT99! That is to say, using the spare CPU cycles not used by blue or red team. Green and gold consistently get half the scores of the red and blue teams, and I can't see a good reason why. It was like this in DOM99, too. Is there some subtle advantage for blue and red teamsthat builds up over time? There must be, but I can't figure it out.

Also, the bots sometimes stand a foot or so from the CP, and are unaware that they haven't touched it. But they are mesmerized, and can't break away, even if you come right up to them. A problem.

Also, I deleted my DOM download, so can't check the Readme. But I can't, through play, find any difference between Condemned 1 and 2. Someone enlighten me? Well, there is one difference: Condemned 1 seems like more fun, but I can't put my finger on why.

AKI is awesome. The best DOM map in a long, long time. Cidom is great too, as is Gharden. Oh, man, Gharden is amazing. One problem I've spotted on Gharden, though, is that sometimes bots get stuck in front of the doors to the round spawn rooms, trying to get in.

Great work, all.

Re TL:
Also, I played DOM99 for years, and have earned the right to attest to the fact that DOM without TL works just fine, on any map. UT3 is the first UT game that I like the TL on, and so, historically, I always looked for games without it. But I seem to remember the DOM servers having it off. If my memory of that is wrong, so be it. But to say that any gametype depends on the TL is just wrong. A play style, perhaps, but not a gametype. DDOM is rubbish, however, since you can't bat a puck from the air like a goalie, and all someone needs to do is touch a CP to stop a countdown. I played DDOM every night during the long dark 2k3 year, and saw the disaster of DDOM with the TL. You think DDOM is a stalemate as it stands? With the TL, the CPs were flickering back and forth non-stop the entire game. Well, for as long as I was there, since the game was endless. All anyone needed was LOS to the CP, and they could switch it without a problem. Now that was a bad time!

That said, everyone has their TL preference. I love it in UT3 CTF; that's a start, right? So we're all friends, okay?

Onward!
Glad to see theirs an ini fix for the TL, though, so I don't have to reset my mutes each game!

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Re TL:
Also, I played DOM99 for years, and have earned the right to attest to the fact that DOM without TL works just fine, on any map. UT3 is the first UT game that I like the TL on, and so, historically, I always looked for games without it. But I seem to remember the DOM servers having it off. If my memory of that is wrong, so be it. But to say that any gametype depends on the TL is just wrong. A play style, perhaps, but not a gametype. !

Again, I never said no one played it that way or that it didn't work on some level. There were certainly DOM servers with the xloc off, though the default and competitively accepted way to play was on.

People play CTF without the xloc and DM with it on... a testament to the fact that you can play these gametypes any way you like.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Also, the bots sometimes stand a foot or so from the CP, and are unaware that they haven't touched it. But they are mesmerized, and can't break away, even if you come right up to them. A problem.

This is not exclusive to DOM mod, I replicated this same problem even on epic maps. I believe this is something that EPIC should fix.

I spent hours debugging bots due to this problem, it looks like they try to optimize path and take some shortcuts like cutting corners etc. Distance for bot to travel is calculated as time needed to run. Sometimes this time is calculated wrongly (with a tiny less time than is needed) and thus bots stop one step away from pickups.

So this is something we need to make drama about to get Epic devs fix it.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
A couple minor issues.
Another AI issue. Bots holding a position near a CP won't take it. It seems like the only time bots will take CPs is if they're roaming or attacking. I used to just assign a bot to each CP and cover the slack but this method is being beaten by swarms just roaming back and forth.
The other issue is the maplist doesn't seem to work. Not sure why. I've got all the maps in rotation for 4TeamDom and it'll never switch maps.

UT3Dom is very well done and fun to play. The problems I have aren't showstoppers.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
But I can't, through play, find any difference between Condemned 1 and 2. Someone enlighten me? Well, there is one difference: Condemned 1 seems like more fun, but I can't put my finger on why.

there is no differenec othet than in the visuals. Condemned 2 has more tweaked PP, lights and deco, but other than that they are exactly the same

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
The other issue is the maplist doesn't seem to work. Not sure why. I've got all the maps in rotation for 4TeamDom and it'll never switch maps.
I have a similar problem - only that I can start with any map on the maplist and after that match it switches over to apodos forever even if it isn't on the list. Contrast also causes visual corruption on my screen.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Gah, too many new modes and maps to try ATM!
I still want to find a good online match, haven't been succesful so far. Every server pings over 150, and as such, is empty.

@hal, not wanting to get back into this whole argument again, I just REALLY don't understand what is illogical about the argument? You mention that xloc on is the 'competitively accepted' (which is more or less a popular vote) way to play, and in the same discussion you proclaim that stock maps define how a gametype was meant to be played.

I find that ironic, since the competitive crowd are known to mod the crap out of a game in order to get it to fit their preferences. Examples? Brightskins, balance tweaks, removal of superweapons, custom maps, tweaking .ini's en masse, the list goes on.
So I don't see those two arguments going hand in hand.
That is why I mentioned the CTF-Face/insta argument(which does make sense btw), not to ruin your day and call you a bad DOM player or w/e.

Boosting is a technique 'needed' to be succesful on that map, as is reaching the domination point somewhere up high or reaching the pickups on a specific map ... when playing insta w/ boosting or when playing DOM with xloc on

Eliminate that bold part from the equation and those pickups/techniques simply disappear from the game, and are no longer useable for either team. As such, they are also not needed to win anymore, and the match proceeds as usual.
Those matches can be played perfectly as such, as long as individual map design permits.

The fact that stock maps sometimes do not permit that, in the case of Cidom for the upper control point, is a minor issue and has nothing to do with how the gametype should be played. How it should be played is determined by the players themselves, as you yourself pointed out in the 'competivitely accepted' argument.

In short:
I have absolutely no issues with other people, including you, playing with xloc on.
What I do have a problem with, and what probably started this whole thing, is you saying I have no clue what I'm talking about after I merely state my own opinion about how I enjoy DOM and why I don't really enjoy the alternative, as if I were some random trolling noob. (yes I am aware of the difference between newbie/noob)
State you disagree: fine, that's what forums are for.
Point out that I got confused about DDOM/DOM, fine: my bad.
Do so in a condescending, arrogant manner when I have contributed to these forums for quite some time, taken part in lots of discussions in a constructive and never offending way, and have been playing UT since '99: not fine with me.
Especially when it comes from a long-timer like you who should know better than that.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
What I do have a problem with, and what probably started this whole thing, is you saying I have no clue what I'm talking about after I merely state my own opinion about how I enjoy DOM and why I don't really enjoy the alternative, as if I were some random trolling noob. (yes I am aware of the difference between newbie/noob)
State you disagree: fine, that's what forums are for.
Point out that I got confused about DDOM/DOM, fine: my bad.
Do so in a condescending, arrogant manner when I have contributed to these forums for quite some time, taken part in lots of discussions in a constructive and never offending way, and have been playing UT since '99: not fine with me.
Especially when it comes from a long-timer like you who should know better than that.

I never said you had no clue what you were talking about in relation to your opinion on how you preferred to play the game.

I pointed out the reasons why that was the way UT DOM was intended to be played, giving these as my reasons:
- Xloc on by default (should be reason enough, shouldn't it?)
- Maps were created with xloc-only powerups
- Cidom all but needs an xloc

Furthermore it was the widely accepted way it was played.

Those points are pretty much irrefutable. Your argument to me was that you didn't play it that way and that people boosted in instagib on Face :con: (NW too, which I also pointed out). Then you started talking about DDOM and Warsow or whatever.

I'm sorry you don't like that I pointed out you were wrong or took offense to the way I did it. I think you just missed my point and then assumed (wrongly) that somehow I was advocating that it was wrong to play it any other way.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well heres also something to consider and that is...

No matter which you prefer you should be able to play the game with or without the xloc, over specialization will cause you to become reliant on a certain weapon etc so I think its best to avoid that at all costs. Im not saying you shouldnt get good with the xloc, just consider what you would do without it, I mean if I ever ran a server the xloc on or off wouldnt be default...

The mutator to add/remove it would show up randomly, now thats competitive :p

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah thats what they say at the start of every major team sports match when they are flipping the coin :lol:

Have you ever wondered how they select which teams play on which fields/grounds/rinks and against who? If I had a choice Id go home ground advantage everytime :p

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
True, but I was referring to online competitive gaming. It's probably the main reason I left that scene, besides the fact that my skills are rather weak. You know, the incessant whinig about how the AR grenades and the Flak are too spammy and other projectile weapons are too random.

But hey, American Football games are played in sunlight, rain and snow. But to online gamers, dynamic environments make the game unfair somehow. Go figure.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Makes you wonder why they aren't making their own game that involves clicking on dots faster than the other guys. I have taken the liberty of mocking this game up for everyone.

The pink X is your crosshair, the goal is to click on red dots faster than anyone else.

Now that I have developed the penultimate competitive game, I will crawl into a hole with Albi the Racist Dragon and eat jellybeans.