M4A1 RO979

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Uhm, Hk417 would require modeling, animating and skinning...

I'd figured since the HK417 is virtually indistinguishable from the HK416 (the only way I can tell is by straight 20 round mags vs. curved 30 rounders), you could just reuse the model and only create a straight, 20 round mag for it.

If you find someone crazy enough to actually model, animate and skin a Hk417 I'd probably take a go at coding it, though. (I might make it suck though, since I don't particularly like H&K - just kidding :D)

Can't say I'm a huge HK fan either, but it seemed to me like an easy way to add another weapon. Not that I actually know how to model, skin, animate or code, mind you.

Just to illustrate what I'm talking about regarding similiarities between the 416 and 417, I got two pics. If you can honestly tell the difference, outside of the mags or looking at the filenames, you're a better man than I.

hk416145wglmrightse8.jpg

hk41712inchglmrighths2.jpg

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Just to illustrate what I'm talking about regarding similiarities between the 416 and 417, I got two pics. If you can honestly tell the difference, outside of the mags or looking at the filenames, you're a better man than I.
I'm not here to claim I'm a better man than you, but the differences are more striking than just the different mag and mag "slot" (the part where you insert the mag..). I don't know if just the configuration of the two rifles is different here, but both grip and rear stock are significantly different. Also the rear "housing" (can't find a better english word..) of the 417 is longer than the one of the 416.

To be honest if I actually could model and animate I'd probably even start doing a different rifle than a Hk417 (*cough* L1A1 *cough*) but I cant do this at the moment or in the foreseeable future. Of course it should be possible to take the 416 and mix it up with a straight 20 rounder mag, mess a bit with the code to reflect it's a 7.62 (it is, isn't it?) and call it a day - but to be honest I'm the wrong person to do so. I'm actually bothered the skin on the RO979 states "M4A1" and "property of US government" (or so..) and I personally feel that starting to accept anything but minor inaccuracies is not what I perceive to be the "Inf Spirit".

As for the state of the RO979 mutator. I didn't really have much time, but I think I figured out how to properly do client side fire mode selection - and also found out that client side start nade type selection is a no-go at the moment; I personally doubt it can be done without grave modification of Inf startup behavior, so I'll leave it at the already working Offline/Server selectability and will focus on other tweaks I intend to add.

Carpetsmoker

Nexus-6
Jan 20, 2008
Netherlands
arp242.net
I'd figured since the HK417 is virtually indistinguishable from the HK416 (the only way I can tell is by straight 20 round mags vs. curved 30 rounders), you could just reuse the model and only create a straight, 20 round mag for it.

It's not that easy, we would need the original model files, which may be pretty hard to get (Psy tried to get the M4 files for a few simple fixes, getting the files was pretty problematic and I believe he still doesn't have it all).

In any case, fixing the weapons we already have would seem like a better idea ... Or did I already mention this :nag:

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
Carpet, are you helping Psy to get his weapon/gears reskin mutator done? Man, that pack would cause a rumble in this community! ;)

Aside, I would request the Gsh-18 pistol, using the 5-7 as model base (basically, it would reduce the mag capacity to 18, but highten the damage, as it uses 9mm AP rounds), just to make a better pair for the VSS than the UDAR....

Carpetsmoker

Nexus-6
Jan 20, 2008
Netherlands
arp242.net
It's won't be a mutator, but yes I am working on it and a first beta will be available this week.

I agree we need a Russian pistol, using the Mk23 or M9 with the AKMSU or AKM is just ugly...

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
NIIIICEEE! As I recall some of PSy teasers screenshot, they re da sexy!

The Gsh-18 could be done as that old Walther P22 muttie (that used the Mk23 model and modded the gun code to behave as a .22 pistol) = the coder could use the 5-7 model, take advantage of the AP capacity of its projectiles, and just rename it in the HUD and loadout window (code-wise) and lower the mag capacity to 18 and increase the damage (code-wise)... so its not a peashotter anymore! XD

Last edited:
I'm not here to claim I'm a better man than you, but the differences are more striking than just the different mag and mag "slot" (the part where you insert the mag..).

I don't know if just the configuration of the two rifles is different here, but both grip and rear stock are significantly different.

The first is an earlier model using the common M4-style stock, the second is using their more recently developed proprietary stock.

Also the rear "housing" (can't find a better english word..) of the 417 is longer than the one of the 416.

Housing? EDIT, I know what you're saying now. Yeah, it's a bit longer, but when I looked at the two side by side (in real life) it wasn't readily apparent. The only two clues I had were the magwells (the mag "slot") and the sign under each stating "HK416 (5.56mm)" and "HK417 (7.62mm)" or something to that effect.

To be honest if I actually could model and animate I'd probably even start doing a different rifle than a Hk417 (*cough* L1A1 *cough*) but I cant do this at the moment or in the foreseeable future. Of course it should be possible to take the 416 and mix it up with a straight 20 rounder mag, mess a bit with the code to reflect it's a 7.62 (it is, isn't it?) and call it a day - but to be honest I'm the wrong person to do so. I'm actually bothered the skin on the RO979 states "M4A1" and "property of US government" (or so..) and I personally feel that starting to accept anything but minor inaccuracies is not what I perceive to be the "Inf Spirit".

I just asked because I've been able to get a few more people into Inf (mostly active duty types) but they want more guns. I honestly never noticed most of the problems (never used the M3, nor the UDAR, M60 and M2HB kill fast enough I never saw a difference, etc.)

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Actually the HK417 in Kuroshio's picture is the old prototype using G3 mags with the G3 like magwell, the newer version has the magwell looking much more like the 5.56 variant (mag is similar to G36 in design):

hk417-eglm.jpg
_HK417_02.jpg

The only significant differences between the 16 and 17 are the longer receiver at the rear and the longer magwell (plus different magazine), the different grip and stock in the pictures are juts accessioures that can be easily exchanged on the real model, so having the 5.56 grips and stock on the 7.62 should really not contradict realim.

As Carpetsmoker explained, I got the original M4A1 files from geogob to work on (want to do some changes, actually I did allready on the model and animations), but sadly it was an incomplete set and I am still waiting for geo's respond regarding this.
However, my intention was to apply same changes to the M16 and HK416 if working on the M4 would have been successful and for sure I would love to make a HK417 version (just few simple model changes on the original 416 and texture fixing), but so far I can not say if this is going to happen, it all depends on the mercy of the mighty Geogob (Crowze does not answer PM's anyway).

I just asked because I've been able to get a few more people into Inf (mostly active duty types) but they want more guns.
That's cool, tell them about Ground Branch. :tup:

I can not say Infiltration has few weapons, my personal problem however always were rather the slight imperfections with Inf's weapons less the count.

Last edited:

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
Hey Snakeye, i got an idea for your coding talents. Why not make a AKs-74u based off SS' AKMSU? We can all agree that the original AKMSU that was ingame looked exactly like one, especially with plastic mag it had, and the plastic grips and skeleton folding stock are the type found on the AKs-74u, so t shouldn't be too hard right?

I figure you'd basically have to just use the old AKMSU with the plastic mag as a base, and reduce the damage it does. You could even leave the drum magazine out as i haven't ever seen a '74 with a drum fitted except for the RPK-74.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
I'm not sure you actually can call what I have "talent" - but to be honest I was out of order the last two weeks waiting for my new rig and was busy this weekend setting it up as it finally arrived and getting rid of a few annoying bugs in the M4Improvements. But when I have both M4s finished to a degree I find acceptable, I actually might consider making an AKSU-74 - depending on how much work other than coding is involved. And

I'm not even sure the 5.45x39 does less damage than the 7.62x39 - I think I saw some terminal ballistic pictures indicating they both to pretty similar damage, IIRC due to the 5.45 tumbing earlier - or so..

Kueltag

Jan 31, 2008
In Inf the 5.56x45 does 60 damage against humans/bots with the M16A4, M16A2, C7, XM8, G36K, FAMAS, Minimi, and the OICW. (The same amount of damage is done by the DE.50 and the Vintorez.) The same bullet does 52 damage with the suppressed variants of the previous, the M4 variants, the HK416, their suppressed variants, and the Sig. The 7.62x39 also does 52 damage with the AK-47, and the AKMSU. (The DE.357 does the same.) A 5.45x39 should do at least 52 IMO. .45 bullets do 45 damage. AFAIK the Russian 5.45 has a flatter trajectory than the NATO 5.56, so it might even do 60.

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
Wow, very nice weapon! :eek:
But IMHO you shouldn't really call it "M4A1 RO979", but more like "M4 RO979", because saying "M4A1" you automatically refer to the carbine with the full-auto mode, while yours has the burst mode.
Can you borrow the M68 CCO aimpoint and add it? Would be nice to see! ;)

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Thx but the weapon appearence itself is unchanged from the INFMOD Weapon Pack - technically it should have different texture but I suck at textures - plus I don't know how the correct texture looks like :)

You're correct about the M4 designation though (checked the Colt military homepage..) - since it's a cosmetic modification I'll add it for the next release.

As for adding aimpoints (or any other attachments) that's a No-Go for me since it would require both modeling and animating (and the source models..). Also the reflex sight does what the aimpoint does, even better IMO since it doesn't obstruct view as much. Plus I don't really like the aimpoints appearence - reflex is so much more elegant.

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
I was thinking to the HK416 aimpoint... :p

about the M4, it is the same of the M4A1, the only difference is in the fire mode. That's all. So the texture you're using is perfect.
Yet, if you would ever think about an HD model, you should write "burst" near the fire-mode selector, but that's a tiny detail.
Another intersting customization could be this: placing the Reflex sight, or the M68, on the handguard instead of the carrying-handle, so you end with using both sights, and the ironsights work also as eventual backup. I've seen this configuration IRL (and I also made it for OFP long ago). The workaround to apply the configuration is to use some M16A4 pieces for the handguard, so you don't have to build them by yourself.
BTW, the M4 is also used by the US.Army, with the M4A1 (they are assigned to different troops though).

If you need some pics, I'll give them to you. ;)

About weapons, if you have any question, especially about M16 family, don't hesitate to ask, I'm well informed about them. :D

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
technical question:

I noticed the 417 has a longer receiver and therefore I'm assuming a longer buffer spring. (maybe not but it seems to be the logic as to why they would do that).

Would a longer buffer spring help to reduce recoil? I'm assuming this would also reduce the rate of fire since the spring has farther to travel (which wouldn't matter since it seems to be a sharpshooter or sniper rifle).

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
I would answer "YES", but (1) that rifle has the FA mode too, so reducing the ROF is a bad idea IMHO and (2) I think there is a risk of increasing jams.

I'm not even sure the 5.45x39 does less damage than the 7.62x39 - I think I saw some terminal ballistic pictures indicating they both to pretty similar damage, IIRC due to the 5.45 tumbing earlier - or so..

In Inf the 5.56x45 does 60 damage against humans/bots with the M16A4, M16A2, C7, XM8, G36K, FAMAS, Minimi, and the OICW. (The same amount of damage is done by the DE.50 and the Vintorez.) The same bullet does 52 damage with the suppressed variants of the previous, the M4 variants, the HK416, their suppressed variants, and the Sig. The 7.62x39 also does 52 damage with the AK-47, and the AKMSU. (The DE.357 does the same.) A 5.45x39 should do at least 52 IMO. .45 bullets do 45 damage. AFAIK the Russian 5.45 has a flatter trajectory than the NATO 5.56, so it might even do 60.

M855.jpg

AK-47%20762x39mm.jpg

AK-74%20545x39.jpg

For the 7.62 WP and 5.45 WP, terminal effects are similar; roughly that of a small caliber handgun. Above 2700 fps or so, the 5.56 NATO outperforms both by a wide margin, due to fragmentation, and below 2700 fps is comparable in wounding potential.

Obviously, any of the above calibers can incapacitate in one shot by hitting critical structures in the central nervous system. However none are considered large enough to induce instanteous collapse due to violent displacement of spinal bones, which causes impact with the spinal cord. The effect is indistinguishable from a shot which physically severes the spinal cord and is likely the cause of most "one shot stops" when the CNS or major cardiovascular structure was not struck. The victim goes down, unconcious, allowing the usual blood loss to "work it's magic" until the victim bleeds out.

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
The victim goes down, unconcious, allowing the usual blood loss to "work it's magic" until the victim bleeds out.

Kuroshio, your one sick puppy! Good work digging that up though, i seem to remember some of them appearing on these forums in the past, perhaps in the Unofficial Tech Weapons thread in O/T.

Mitchell, attachments can't be added to an existing weapon without remodelling, skinning, animating and coding it. INF isn't like R6:V where there's a host of generic attachments which can be applied to any weapon, and only requiring a fair degree of coding, and i don't think the UT99 engine would be able to handle a system like that.

Each attachment it modelled specifically to that weapon, and for example the M4a1 ingame has over 20 different combinations, each one needed to be modelled, skinned, have animations applied and adjusted, and coded. It's a lot of work, and even adding one attachment will probably give rise to about 4 other combinations, each needing modelling, skinning, animating, and coding. It would be simpler however to add an attachment to a weapon that didn't have any like the FN FAL, but as it's been said in other threads, unless you can and are willing to do the work yourself, don't count on anything being done. However if you can and are willing to do the work, welcome and get cracking! :lol: