UWindow2 Development Blog

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Crotale: I'm working a more UT3 specific version of the background for Snake that stays true to the same feel. But the dimensions are 1024x768 with a 256 pixel buffer underneath (1024x1024)

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I'm not here to spoil the party or anything, but i was expecting Uwindows2, not UwindowsRevamped.
Specifically, i prefered the previous background. Replacing it with the original UT background...... I don't really like that. It will make the interface feel old. I've already seen that background, i see it everytime i play UT. It would be nice to see something different.
However: If you have the option to change the background located somewhere in this menu of yours i will be very happy. You can let us choose between the "classic" uwindows, with the old UT background, or the new uwindows2 background, depending on what you want.
I haven't read very far into the various changelogs in this topic so i don't know if this feature will be included. But if it is you've got my vote!

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Crotale: I'm working a more UT3 specific version of the background for Snake that stays true to the same feel. But the dimensions are 1024x768 with a 256 pixel buffer underneath (1024x1024)
Okay, thanks. I'll keep my own version to myself. I kinda have a classic redux thing going.

GinSoakedBoy

Apr 25, 2008
Cool, I managed to get it working, just had to clear out the files and re-extract them.

It looks good so far, and the next release sounds like it will be even better. I do agree with one of the other posters that while the UT99 interface was awesome, it would be better to have an updated look for UT3.

Anyway, keep up the good work :D

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Hey there, your work is absolutely fantastic. :)
Everything is cool but I have one question: will we be able to change the background and the window colours like we could in UT99? I don't want you to make other themes, but it's just that this setup is a little too red for my taste, so I wanted to know if it was possible to open up some kind of theme option and change the colour of the background, borders, buttons, etc.?
Hopefully if that's not in for the 26th, you can add it in a later version :) That would be even greater than awesome (*Godlike!*)

os][ris

May 10, 2006
I can't believe how well this is turning out. I remember seeing the first few screenshots with just a box with a picture.

It's come a long way, to say the least.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
[SCREENSHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95906&stc=1&d=1213906520[/SCREENSHOT]

Before people post replies with "Omg, the colors suck!", this is done with a colorizer on the fly, so you will be able to change these colors as you see fit. I just wanted to demonstrate some of the nice graphics tweaks I'm adding to hopefully reduce the number of complaints about the graphics.

So it looks like a transparent window is possible, which is always a neat thing.

TheIronKnuckle

Before people post replies with "Omg, the colors suck!",
To the contrary! I think it looks 1337.

I hate to quote myself.... but:
just another feature suggestion: Would it be feasible to make map descriptions show up on the actual menu? Like in ut2004/3: whenever you went to instant action and chose a map the maps screenshots would be displayed along with the map description. Do you think you could add that back in?

and again, i just HAVE to ask if the option to change backgrounds will be included at some point. I don't care if it isn't added by the msu deadline but i would be very happy if it was included at some point.
To put it frankly: I don't like the background you have chosen. It is good, but it is for UT. This mod is being made for UT3 and as such i would prefer the background you had in your original beta.

(Reading over it again...... That probably looks really aggressive..... lol, don't be put off by me or anything, i am cheering for this mod like the rest of you! I just want to be sure that this mod is not only great, but pwnworthy.)

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
i just HAVE to ask if the option to change backgrounds will be included at some point. I don't care if it isn't added by the msu deadline but i would be very happy if it was included at some point.
To put it frankly: I don't like the background you have chosen. It is good, but it is for UT. This mod is being made for UT3 and as such i would prefer the background you had in your original beta.
What part of "skinnable" did you somehow miss?

If you don't like the background, fine, change it once you install it, assuming it will be in on the released build. I'm pretty sure SolidSnake isn't going to make everything except the background customizeable.

Also, if you read a few posts up, Bersy is making an original wallpaper for it, and the man is very good at art. I'm sure it'll be awesome.

It'd better be, Bersy, or I'm stomping over to Uppsala.

TheIronKnuckle

What part of "skinnable" did you somehow miss?

If you don't like the background, fine, change it once you install it, assuming it will be in on the released build. I'm pretty sure SolidSnake isn't going to make everything except the background customizeable.

Also, if you read a few posts up, Bersy is making an original wallpaper for it, and the man is very good at art. I'm sure it'll be awesome.

It'd better be, Bersy, or I'm stomping over to Uppsala.
lol, i'll take your word for it, I couldn't be stuffed reading the past few pages.
In any case, good work snake!

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
IronKnuckle, I'm sure there will be plenty of backgrounds you can use. Currently, I'm making a couple of classic variants for myself. I know Bersy's work and I'm positive his background will rock. I am a little sad that my previous background will not be used in the final release, but such is life.

os][ris

May 10, 2006
[SAS]Solid Snake;2146775 said:
[SCREENSHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95906&stc=1&d=1213906520[/SCREENSHOT]

Before people post replies with "Omg, the colors suck!", this is done with a colorizer on the fly, so you will be able to change these colors as you see fit. I just wanted to demonstrate some of the nice graphics tweaks I'm adding to hopefully reduce the number of complaints about the graphics.

So it looks like a transparent window is possible, which is always a neat thing.

Were the transparent windows something available because of ue3? Or did you have to write code to specifically do that?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
Response to posts

I'm not here to spoil the party or anything, but i was expecting Uwindows2, not UwindowsRevamped.
Well, yes it may look like uWindow that we saw in Unreal Tournament, but at the end of the day it is about the functionality of the user interface that matters the most. Vista may looks prettier than WindowsXP, but the functionality is just about the same. At the end of the day, you can wind up with a very pretty product, but if the product does not actually do its main purpose ... then the product is just as useless. So, I could make a very pretty user interface (and besides, graphical quality is subjective to what people like), or I can make a working user interface. Your choice.

just another feature suggestion: Would it be feasible to make map descriptions show up on the actual menu? Like in ut2004/3: whenever you went to instant action and chose a map the maps screenshots would be displayed along with the map description. Do you think you could add that back in?
I plan to revisit the Botmatch window and finish the finer touches to them. So yes, I do plan to have the map descriptions and so forth in place.

and again, i just HAVE to ask if the option to change backgrounds will be included at some point. I don't care if it isn't added by the msu deadline but i would be very happy if it was included at some point.
It is doubtful that I could please everybody with the correct background.

Code:
[canvas UW_StyleSheet]
Ln=(Key="background-image",Value="UWindowResource.MaterialInstance.UT99_BackGround")

Here is what the background definition looks like stored within the config file. This is just a plain text file, that you can open with any text editor. You can modify the value to point to any other image that you like. While it may be nicer to have a UI, I doubt the above is much harder to do.

Hey Snake, what are the dimensions of that new background? I want to make a new one for myself. Or, I suppose the question is, what dimensions are required?
You are able to use any dimensions that you like. uWindows2 can handle any sized dimension images to stretch to the screen. If you make them as just 4:3 ratio, or even widescreen versions would work just fine.

IronKnuckle, I'm sure there will be plenty of backgrounds you can use. Currently, I'm making a couple of classic variants for myself. I know Bersy's work and I'm positive his background will rock. I am a little sad that my previous background will not be used in the final release, but such is life.
No. Your background is still included within uWindows2. I do plan to have a simple background changer window. What I plan to do is just provide a stack of images people can switch to.

Were the transparent windows something available because of ue3? Or did you have to write code to specifically do that?
UE3 has always been able to render textures transparently.

Last edited:

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
[SCREENSHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95914&stc=1&d=1213990772[/SCREENSHOT]

Changelist
  • Reworked the coordinate system to use a deferred calculation system. Simply put, coordinates are first marked as 'dirty' and when they are required they are then calculated. This helps spread out the load a little bit, instead of trying to calculate thousands of coordinates all at once. Performance increase.
  • Reworked the recursive calculation system to prevent redundant recursive function calling. GUI [Graphical User Interface] work is often hard because of its recursive nature. I refactored this code to make sure that redundant function calls are not made. Performance increase.
  • Added quick dragging function which increases the performance of dragging windows around. Performance increase when dragging windows.
  • Added rendering checks to make sure that components that are outside the parent or are not visible are not rendered. Performance increase.
  • Performance of uWindows2 is now pretty good. For the most part, I am usually well above 100 fps on a modest system [Athlon 64 +4000, 3.5gb Ram DDR2, 8800GTS 320mb]. Performance is only slightly impacted by resizing of windows, and none by dragging windows around.
  • Added proper rendering code to all texture surface types. The rendering code will make sure to render partial if it is obscured slightly by the parent. A good example of this is when you resize the credits window, and the images render appropriately.
  • All windows now have appropriate scroll panels assigned to them. Scroll panels will activate as needed.
  • Colorizer properly affects all rendered textures.
  • Started work on the Player Setup window. Character customization and weapon setup is done through here.
  • Viewport component added. This allows me to render viewports to the screen. Mesh rendering is done in this manner, as shown within the Player Setup window. You can rotate, zoom and move the camera using the mouse.
  • Scrolling within drop down lists works properly.

My viewport component is of great interest to me actually. Paired with everything else, its now possible to create games within uWindows using the viewport to render the world and the action system to provide input. If I have any time left (very doubtful) I may add a simple game.