I'm voting Republican.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Neddaf

Just a flesh wound!
Jul 19, 2001
Los Angeles, California
Because if its legal then adoption comes into the picture. You want to **** up a kid there a good way to do it. Also people can take advantage of tax breaks for married couples. If its called marriage then it comes with all the other legal privlages. It also destroys the family unit. I think our government should recognize civil unions instead. Cut back on the rights to adoption. I'd like to see an argument that two gay people are better equipped to raise a child. Thats one of the major reasons why the majority of Americans oppose it. It isn't a matter of we just don't like gays. It completely destroys culture in America.

The majority does not want it leagal and so we let the democratic process take its course. When enough people support it then it will happen. Sorry if that sounds harsh to you. We can evolve as a country but it can't be forced on the majority either.

You answered the question to the problem yourself. The majority of Americans cant accept it so how will they act to these gay couples that do adopt? Oh well lets see...

Ostracize them, point at them, laugh. I think it's safe to say we said the same thing about blacks and slaves, see how long it took us to get over that? We still arent over it entirely.

Blacks cant do a good job. Blacks cant vote. Blacks cant raise children. Blacks shouldnt get the same benefits as whites.

Please kid, come up with a better argument that actually makes sense. There are studies proving and supporting your point yes, but take a look at the American publics reaction to it and its not on the couple - its on the people around them.

Think about it, a kid, gay or straight, doesnt matter, is raised by two moms or dads. The distaste in American culture would put that kid under more stress and mental/physical abuse then any other kid. Once again, our culture fails to accept.

Gay marriage doesnt tear the fabric of American culture - American's tear the fabric of American culture.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Because if its legal then adoption comes into the picture. You want to **** up a kid there a good way to do it. Also people can take advantage of tax breaks for married couples. If its called marriage then it comes with all the other legal privlages. It also destroys the family unit. I think our government should recognize civil unions instead. Cut back on the rights to adoption. I'd like to see an argument that two gay people are better equipped to raise a child. Thats one of the major reasons why the majority of Americans oppose it. It isn't a matter of we just don't like gays. It completely destroys culture in America.
Am I the only one who noticed that, for all the ranting about how why gays destroying America is bad, you completely forgot to mention how The Gays are destroying America?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Inreseting videos. Although Kennedy makes a few valid points, most of his speech was conjecture, and I woul bet that his polls were either worded in a very influential way and/or he picked certain areas where knew he would find the most dumbasses. Honestly, anyone who says that talk radio or FNC told them Saddam Hussein bombed the WTC is truly an idiot. Now, it could that they believe SH bombed the WTC but they didn't get from FNC.

The spiel he made about no WMDs, no bad Saddam and most of the European allies not winging it with the US being agreed upon by 84 percent of both polled Dems and Reps is believable; it's common sense.

I would like to see an honest poll of Democrats to see how the educational levels of those voters is paid out. I bet you would see a fairly similar scheme as that of Republicans. It really cracks me up that liberals think that truly are by default smarter than conservatives.

Let me ask you guys a question. How many of you have a college education and work as a professional? I know this describes me, and I'm a conservative.

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
It's not so much about "smarter" as it is about "better informed". Those are two different things. You could raise a 160 IQ child to be a physicist and have her watch nothing but heavily biased, right-wing pundit shows for all of her life, and she'd probably vote "red" every time.

Much of what Kennedy said in the video was fairly accurate.

Take a look at a map that shows "Red" areas versus "Blue" areas. Constantly, Red areas tend to be heavily rural, country types areas. Blue areas tend to be larger cities, coastal/port areas, and cities with medium to large airports.

Why? Because Red areas are typically not as immersed in multiple cultures and have less access to informational media. Blue areas tend to be heavily multicultural, have slightly higher access to more forms of informational media, and as a result, have populations that more readily seek out information.

A high school educated person living in the middle of Iowa, with only basic (non-cable) TV, maybe only has dial-up internet, gets only the local small town newspaper, and has corn and church for work and hobbies, is probably going to be a lot less informed about worldly affairs than a college grad who lives in the middle of Boston who has 200 TV channels, high-speed intarwebs, chooses between 6 different local newspapers, and has a $50,000 salary white collar job and enjoys kayaking.

Yeah, I made up a crazy example, but in a lot of cases it really is like that.

In my experience with talking with friends that are fairly socially conservative, they often change their minds about various issues and become more liberal after a little debate. This doesn't happen because I was able to convince them for some ideological reason, this happens because I showed them evidence of how the world really works. Much of the time, they just hadn't heard the other side of the story because they never knew it existed or had heard false information from some heavily biased "news" source.

I tend to lean heavily Blue, not because I listened only to someone like Keith Olbermann or Al Gore, but because glean my info from multiple sources and actively look at both sides of the issues.

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'd like to see a similar poll done in the inner cities where a generous portion of the poor minorities vote Democrat. I'd say they are probably just as misinformed as your country bumpkins, unless you are saying that CNN, NBC, etc are always unbiased and provide accurate news (which we know is BS).

As for your supposed turnaround of "conservatives" based upon information you provide them, that works with anyone who may be weak-minded. Or, maybe you are an eloquent speaker. Or, just maybe, they were just humoring you. Either way, I feel that you are being a bit condescending here, as are most vocal liberals.

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
I'd like to see a similar poll done in the inner cities where a generous portion of the poor minorities vote Democrat. I'd say they are probably just as misinformed as your country bumpkins, unless you are saying that CNN, NBC, etc are always unbiased and provide accurate news (which we know is BS).

I'm not going off of only what Kennedy said in that video. I've heard and read a lot of the same thing before. Generally speaking, it's the way the demographics level out in this country. I'm not pegging everyone as either big city liberal or country bumpkins, but there is a little bit of truth to that generalization.

Many urban minorities do indeed vote Dem, but not so much because of being informed or uninformed. The Dem message tends to be, or at least sounds, more compassionate. The Rep message tends to be, or at least sounds more like, "if your poor, it's your own fault for not working hard enough". Just look at McCain and Obama's tax differences. It's no surprise that poorer urban people tend to vote Dem.

I'm not saying the CNN, NBC, etc are not biased. All the pundit shows on TV have some level of bias.

Something to think about: if you don't agree with a possible bit of objective information I've learned, does that automatically make me misinformed? Are you the informed one? How would you know unless you read up on all perspectives? Have you done that?

Everyone is informed and misinformed on various things, myself included. That's why I strive to try and figure things out on my own. I'm always open to change should evidence to the contrary be found, but my currently liberal stance didn't happen by "drinking the koolaid".

But don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that all conservatives are misinformed or that you are in particular are misinformed; all I'm saying is that my liberalish opinions are arrived at by study, research, etc, not because some pundit said so.

Here's some Red vs Blue map stuff.

Here's how things are lining up this year so far. The website is very lefty, but the graphs and numbers aren't made up. It's all demographics.

As for your supposed turnaround of "conservatives" based upon information you provide them, that works with anyone who may be weak-minded. Or, maybe you are an eloquent speaker. Or, just maybe, they were just humoring you. Either way, I feel that you are being a bit condescending here, as are most vocal liberals.

It sounded condescending because it sounded like I said all conservatives are country bumpkins. That's not the case. Also, not all liberals are college educated city people. But many country bumpkins are conservatives, and many college educated city people are liberals. ;)

It's not weak-mindedness that turned them, it's open-mindedness. And not all of my conservative friends are convince by what I say. Unsurprisingly, it's the true fiscal, constitutional conservatives that are the most solid in their political views. They study and researched and reached conclusions and are open to knew ways and such. I may not agree with them all the time, but they've arrived at their views in much the same way I arrived at mine.

No, it's the ones that call themselves Social Conservatives that are usually the ones that just need a little dose of reality, and after which, usually come around. It's the ones that rail against Evolution for no other reason than they don't understand it and their preacher told them it's evil. It's the social conservatives that think that Obama is a Muslim, just because they read one trashy email and weren't capable of the tiniest bit of critical thinking that would lead them to look it up themselves. It's the people who deny the fact we have an increasingly important issue with climate change because one of the main people voicing the concern is a well known liberal (Al Gore; I mean, if he said it, it must be a far-left conspiracy right?). It's the people who think homosexuality is a choice and think gay marriage will destroy our wholesome American way of life.

I'm not trying to be condescending (except maybe that last paragraph :p) to you or any conservatives here. I'm just saying, on the average, that's how the demographics usually divide.

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'm not going off of only what Kennedy said in that video. I've heard and read a lot of the same thing before. Generally speaking, it's the way the demographics level out in this country. I'm not pegging everyone as either big city liberal or country bumpkins, but there is a little bit of truth to that generalization.
Sure, and some democrats are communists. What is your point really? Does it make me an idiot just because I'm not aligned with your way of thinking? Kennedy is speaking on generalized terms about specific ideals. He is taking a few extreme statements and making out that ALL conservatives are the bane of our existence. How else would anyone listen to what he has to say?

Many urban minorities do indeed vote Dem, but not so much because of being informed or uninformed. The Dem message tends to be, or at least sounds, more compassionate. The Rep message tends to be, or at least sounds more like, "if your poor, it's your own fault for not working hard enough". Just look at McCain and Obama's tax differences. It's no surprise that poorer urban people tend to vote Dem.
Voting for someone because they sound compassionate is being just as misinformed as your country bumpkins. I vote strawman on your passage there. The Democratic message "sounds" compassionate, but only to select groups. That is how they get elected, by appealing to particular types of demographics. The problem with it is that they portray themselves as being for the poor and working class, when in fact, neither major political party appears to truly care about the middle class. The rich get their tax breaks and the poor get the social programs. If Mrs. Clinton would be the POTUS, the middle class would bear the brunt of her universal health care program. Compassionate? I hardly think so.

Honestly, of the many liberal voters I have met in my life, most appear to be so simply because they have been led to believe that the Dems are their salvation and the Reps are the devil. I have spoken with college grads all the way down to the poorest and least educated folk. While a person with a college degree is more likely to be more informed than most, it isn't a defacto standard for all college grads either.

I'm not saying the CNN, NBC, etc are not biased. All the pundit shows on TV have some level of bias.

Something to think about: if you don't agree with a possible bit of objective information I've learned, does that automatically make me misinformed? Are you the informed one? How would you know unless you read up on all perspectives? Have you done that?
Have you? Do you get your information only from left-leaning media? Pundit shows are what they are; the heart of news channels project fairly much the same thing. Read an article on CNN and the same one on Fox. Both pretty much say the same thing.

Everyone is informed and misinformed on various things, myself included. That's why I strive to try and figure things out on my own. I'm always open to change should evidence to the contrary be found, but my currently liberal stance didn't happen by "drinking the koolaid".
Same here, but because I am a conservative, I must be a uneducated idiot. At least, that appears to be the general consensus here.

But don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that all conservatives are misinformed or that you are in particular are misinformed; all I'm saying is that my liberalish opinions are arrived at by study, research, etc, not because some pundit said so.
The same goes for me on my opinions. But you don't see me going out of my way to make you out to be an idiot.

Here's some Red vs Blue map stuff.

Here's how things are lining up this year so far. The website is very lefty, but the graphs and numbers aren't made up. It's all demographics.
So, blue states folks are intelligent and well-informed while red state folks are idiots?

It sounded condescending because it sounded like I said all conservatives are country bumpkins. That's not the case. Also, not all liberals are college educated city people. But many country bumpkins are conservatives, and many college educated city people are liberals. ;)
Sorry, but why are ALL conservatives made out to be idiots? You keep coming off as though you are saying that. Do you notice I am using the word "idiot" because that kinda seems what you are saying. Please, don't tiptoe around it. If you think conservatives are idiots, that's your opinion. It may be a biased and misinformed opinion, but hey, you're a an informed person, right?

It's not weak-mindedness that turned them, it's open-mindedness. And not all of my conservative friends are convince by what I say. Unsurprisingly, it's the true fiscal, constitutional conservatives that are the most solid in their political views. They study and researched and reached conclusions and are open to knew ways and such. I may not agree with them all the time, but they've arrived at their views in much the same way I arrived at mine.
Just so you know, I get my information, personally speaking, from a myriad of sources, not just one news channel. But I will defend my right to watch said news channel. I like to make an informed decision, which is why I visit CNN and FNC, as well as other news sources, to see if stories jibe or not. I am a big boy and I know bull**** when I see it whether it be on CNN, FNC, the newspaper or wherever.

Open-mindedness? As if all liberals are truly open-minded. Would you call it being open-minded when a liberal bashes a conservative because the conservative may be a Christian? Where is the much touted liberal tolerance there? In my opinion, most mainstream liberals are just as staunch in the views as conservatives are, if not maybe a bit more unyielding.

No, it's the ones that call themselves Social Conservatives that are usually the ones that just need a little dose of reality, and after which, usually come around. It's the ones that rail against Evolution for no other reason than they don't understand it and their preacher told them it's evil. It's the social conservatives that think that Obama is a Muslim, just because they read one trashy email and weren't capable of the tiniest bit of critical thinking that would lead them to look it up themselves. It's the people who deny the fact we have an increasingly important issue with climate change because one of the main people voicing the concern is a well known liberal (Al Gore; I mean, if he said it, it must be a far-left conspiracy right?). It's the people who think homosexuality is a choice and think gay marriage will destroy our wholesome American way of life.
There may be some truth there, but all those point have much finer point individually that would require a whole new thread for each major topic.

- Evolution is a theory; a scientifically sound theory but a theory, nonetheless.
- Obama is a Muslim? Last I read, he is a Christian.
- Climate change? I know of noone who says there isn't some kind of climate change. However, it has not been proven as to whether it was influenced by man or that we have any affect on slowing down the said change.
- Gay marriage? My thoughts on the gay lifestyle period is that it is unnatural. Biologically speaking, our bodies were designed sexually for procreation. If not, what is the point of genders?

For the record, I don't really care what religion or faith Obama has, I just don't think he is right for the presidency. It isn't that I think McCain is better, but I honestly have not seen or heard anything good from Obama, as he professes change for the sake of not being like GW Bush and Co. To be perfectly honest, anyone who thinks the President alone has THAT much power and influence over the country is very much misinformed. We have two other branches for counterbalance. And I'd say it's been working fairly well for over 200 years.

I'm not trying to be condescending (except maybe that last paragraph :p) to you or any conservatives here. I'm just saying, on the average, that's how the demographics usually divide.
The fact that you are focusing on a select group of conservatives (country bumpkins) and comparing them to another select group (well-educated liberals college grads) shows me a lot of bias. You would feel biased against if I turned the tables on you, which I could do, but what would be the point? It would not portray an accurate representation. No matter what side of the aisle they land on, most Americans, hence most voters, don't know enough about the political scene to make informed decisions on voting day.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Evolution is a theory; a scientifically sound theory but a theory, nonetheless.

The theory of universal gravitation is a theory; a scientifically sound theory but a theory, nonetheless.

Gay marriage? My thoughts on the gay lifestyle period is that it is unnatural. Biologically speaking, our bodies were designed sexually for procreation.

I'd like to believe human society has evolved a little from simple biological necessities. Though of course you're welcome to return to hunt, procreate, sleep instead. That said, how does religion and scientific theory come into your biology-centered world?

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'd like to believe human society has evolved a little from simple biological necessities. Though of course you're welcome to return to hunt, procreate, sleep instead. That said, how does religion and scientific theory come into your biology-centered world?
I was being simplistic in my post for a reason. Did you not notice those points were bulletized? Of course we are more complex than that. But I was explicitly excluding any religious reference. Do you deny that we are designed as male and female for a reason? Would we not need to have genders if nature didn't require it?

I'm sure you have your reasons for approving the gay lifestyle, and I have mine for not approving. It's called having an opinion and neither of us is right or wrong.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I was being simplistic in my post for a reason. Did you not notice those points were bulletized? Of course we are more complex than that. But I was explicitly excluding any religious reference. Do you deny that we are designed as male and female for a reason? Would we not need to have genders if nature didn't require it?

I'm sure you have your reasons for approving the gay lifestyle, and I have mine for not approving. It's called having an opinion and neither of us is right or wrong.

We aren't designed to play videogames or design nuclear reactors, but we do both of those. Invoking "nature" here is total bull since no actual physical harm comes from people going against what their "gender" says they should do. If there not a law of physics against it and its not harming anyone, who gives a ****.

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Well, I was asked why I don't agree with the gay lifestyle (gay marriage). It has nothing to do with religion, but I feel it is a deviant behavior. It isn't normal. It's my opinion and I'm not imposing it upon anyone.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
And so what if it isn't 'normal'? Please explain what harm its doing?
It's wrong, IMO, and the majority of my society doesn't really care for it (most will say they accept it just so they can get on with their lives). It is a deviant behavior that is enjoyed by a rather small group as compared to the whole.
If you guys are so open-minded, why aren't you fighting for the Mormons who want to have multiple wives? Don't they deserve to be happy and live their lifestyle in the way they choose? Yeah, it can pretty silly with the lifestyle choices, can't it?

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
It's wrong, IMO, and the majority of my society doesn't really care for it (most will say they accept it just so they can get on with their lives). It is a deviant behavior that is enjoyed by a rather small group as compared to the whole.
If you guys are so open-minded, why aren't you fighting for the Mormons who want to have multiple wives? Don't they deserve to be happy and live their lifestyle in the way they choose? Yeah, it can pretty silly with the lifestyle choices, can't it?

'those' mormons could do whatever they want, IMO, as long as they keep their hands off the underaged girls. BUH!