Unreal Tournament III Wishlist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Ah- gametypes. Are there others? :D

TBH I think that's part of the problem. If you play with Paulo's mod, with reduced gravity, you'll see that the vehichles work a lot lot better. I think that gravity was tweaked with DM in mind, and that increasing it adversely affected the vehichle behaviour, but improved DM.

But world war I was not much fun (neither was any other war, but ah well I need some poetic license here.) It was lining up in a row, in a great big long frontline.

Frontlines are boring. A lot of smaller battles, that added up to make up one massive war all over a big area was the beauty of ONS as it developed, and is what's sorely missing from UT3. Also, by being given the license to wander all over the map, chasing the action, it's less constrained than the pent up atmosphere of UT3 where you are sort of forced to pile into a great big melee.

My interest is in massive playercounts the bigger the better. And for that I want loads of nodes (pretty please to any mappers out there listenting.)

Apr 11, 2006
The game needs
-Stats to be brought ingame, with achievement and ranking medals as exist in Quake wars

Absolutely agreed. More stats integration, and better stats. At the moment, I don't think roadkills are even tracked as vehicle kills, which is pretty absurd considering how common roadkills are. Then there's obsolete stats like Orb Captures (I guess at one point you could capture an enemy orb instead of destroying it?).

Seeing something like Double Damage time is nice, but overall for stats it's largely a step backwards, and I'd be really surprised if UT3's stats had any way to display custom weapon or vehicle stats.

-The Nightshade needs 200 less health
Arguable. I don't see a problem with its health, but I do see a problem with having a vehicle killing someone if it taps them at 2mph. There's also no good solution to the invisibility, unlike the SPMA which can be killed just by shooting AVRILS at the camera. I figure, locking the AVRIL onto Nightshade deployables ought to activate the semi-visibility effect, and possibly reveal the vehicle on the minimap.

-The Scavenger needs 80 more health
100 more, and a whole new weapon that doesn't bug out every time someone tries to use it.

-The Avril should not be able to be shared - the avril is mine
Disagree. This is a cool feature. The main thing is, AVRIL ammo is too scarce on too many maps. That, and, the time before other teammates can control your rockets should be longer, but AVRIL lifetimes are too short to really accomodate that.

-The highest ranking player gets the orb if it's a scrum.
Agree, but how do you mean to determine the highest ranking?
Realistically, there's probably very few times where two players touch the orb simultaneously.

-Flak arc needs to be higher
Higher? I don't know about that. Adjusted? Yes.

Lastly, and controvertially, gravity. There needs to be around 8% less of it. The vehichles will be a lot more fun and stunty, especially the scavanger and the whole game will feel lighter, more flowing and more fun.

This can be done on a map basis, so I don't see a need for a change here really. I'll say I built a test map where gravity was reduced by about 10% and it felt "better" to me, but then I think most of the perception of heaviness is related to the sound of the two-ton metal clogs players wear, which could easily be adjusted to something less obtrusive.

awaw

I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash
Jan 19, 2008
With UT2004/UT3 it could have been accomplished by having the node count change on player count, but each map would have to be designed specifically to handle this. Most community mappers have a difficult time with creating regular ONS/WAR maps, this would only confuse them more. :)

fyi, torlan already does this: I don't know the numbers or on which version that's true, but depending on the player count, the outer nodes get disabled and the teams start with their prime activated.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
If I had one wish that I could wish for UT3, it would be that all the children to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace.

lots of other stuff about wishes here

So what is UT3 to you. From your post you appear to be wishing to it, making is seem like some kinda of God or something that will give you your wishes. D:
New UT3 religion maybe :0

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
100 more, and a whole new weapon that doesn't bug out every time someone tries to use it.
Agreed a million times! The Scavenger is quite likely the most retarded vehicle in the game. It dies too easy and takes forever to do ANY damage.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
"Arguable. I don't see a problem with its health" (re nightshade)

Once I'm in a shade, typically I'll be sitting in it for a good 10 minutes. Once I played a game of floodgate when the PUG guys came over to show us PUBers how to play, but even then, I was still safe and happy in my little invisible cocoon. Did my ranking a world of good :D

Perhaps 450 would be better than 400 - so that 2 avrils don't wipe you out.

As for the Avril, if you've ever played with weaker players, especially in Avalanche, when a distant Goliath is giving you a hard time, you loose control of the avril before you can steer it into a goliath's roof. When it's locked on to soon like the novices do, a decent tanker will take the avril out from splash dammage every time.

How do you decide who gets the orb - well from the rankings in the integrated stats sytem that's now been bought into the game of course (well I can dream.)

Failing that - highest PPH
Failing that - highest score.

A scrum to be an orb carrier can create some tension in some pubs. Defusing that would help the atmosphere of the game.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
wow, no replies, at least it didn't deleted like it did on Epic !
You waited barely 3 hours. :p 1.3b2 is undergoing testing.

[Snarf];2149985 said:
Anyway, my UT3 wishlist:

-Skaarj!
-Traditional Onslaught as a gametype.
-Scorpion fires plasma Bolas again, instead of the less visually appealing, and less functional ball thing.
-Official ONS-Dria remake.
-Official ONS-Primeval remake.
-Official ONS-Crossfire.
-Skaarj!
-Hellbender handles better (less bouncy).
-Menu option to play full music tracks instead of using 'dynamic' music (so I can replace trash from UT3 with tracks from UT and UT2004/03).
-Portrait bot roster.
-Last used settings saving in menu.
-Skaarj!
-Official ONS-Severance remake.
-Make power node shafts more visible.
-Skaarj!!!

Thats all I can think of at present.
Ahh, dissection time! I love dissections.

Traditional ONS: Keep it far away. We already have a No Orb mutator, so if you're fans of the one-node struggle for 20 minutes, by all means, use that.
Scorpion Bolas: Absolutely not. That ball launcher is far more versatile than you think, and it just so happens to home in on Mantas, Vipers, Raptors, and (possibly - not sure) Cicadas. All the bolas did better was take nodes down quicker - while they'd wrap around a Manta all that would make the manta driver do is bail.
ONS-Dria: That might be fun.
ONS-Primeval: That one won't be. :p
ONS-Crossfire: See above, and that'll be tough since UT3 did one thing right and axed all the Egypt ****.
Skaarj: Perhaps.
Hellbender: Yeah... it's also pretty damn loose on the turns. And the turret REALLY needs to be fixed so center of the crosshair = where the ball is actually going.
Music: Not worth them spending time and money on.
Portrait Bot Roster: See above.
ONS-Severance: Terribly slow map for defense, and one that could be completely locked down in 90 seconds if your team had any clue what they were doing at all. With the orb, this would be disgustingly quick.

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
ONS-Primeval: That one won't be. :p (fun)

It is a little

[Snarf];2149985 said:
-Menu option to play full music tracks instead of using 'dynamic' music (so I can replace trash from UT3 with tracks from UT and UT2004/03).

My biggest issue w/ the music system, which could be a reason why many ppl place the blame on the dynamic music, is the volume. Of course it sounds like a random jumble of sound when you can't hear it well enough to distinguish anything. It's like listening to a radio station that plays music you aren't familiar with. Your radio is broken and the volume only goes high enough to barely hear it. Plus you're driving around downtown at night with the windows down. This is nearly the same experience.
I personally don't know why the decision to duck music way under everything else was made. It still has it's own independent volume control and adjusting it should be able to go from silence to as loud as any other sound being passed through the engine.
If you had the opportunity to actually hear the music from UT3 I doubt you'd consider it trash.

Last edited:

dirtyharry

Jun 11, 2008
Massachusetts
I think you will find that aslong as you dont cause too much trouble you should be sweet ... but turn on the regulars or use harsh language your butt will be spanked ... hard ... with a paddle .... covered in bee's

Other than that

Welcome to the fourms my new friend!
:cheers:

Thank You Vitamin, I've made a few comments and recieved favorable comments, for the most part, Epic and beyond are great resources and I would hate to burn any bridges !

THanks again

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
rhirud said:
Lastly, and controvertially, gravity. There needs to be around 8% less of it. The vehichles will be a lot more fun and stunty, especially the scavanger and the whole game will feel lighter, more flowing and more fun.

At the moment the main problem is that the game feels a little to heavy and intense. It literally needs to lighten up.
Yep, the game is too heavy, (in)tense, gray, blurred, grungified, depressive, crippled, dumbed down.

I posted something like this on other thread:

0rbfare is full of ideologic messages, or reflect a negative state of mind:
* Punishes failure all the time (orb delivery). Negative approach. What made the U.S. successful was... trying without being afraid of failing.
* Heroes, hierachies and roles, instead of free iniciative like ONS. UT Players were supposed to be part of a team, not an army.
* It's called Warfare. Abbreviation: WAR
* It's now a war against the Necris, not a tournament

"Special Ops" abreviation and the "Bravo" when you adjust voice volume are also interesting.

My wishlist: get rid of all this crap

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I wasn't going to reply, but ugh.....
* Punishes failure all the time (orb delivery). Negative approach. What made the U.S. successful was... trying without being afraid of failing.
This isn't political warfare, it's a game. And games are about BALANCE. The orb was a necessary balancing tool for ONS. Obviously there were several ways they could have accomplished this, but this is the way they chose. If you liked the way ONS did it, great. Make a mod that makes Warfare just like ONS. For the rest of us, we'll continue to play Warfare.
* Heroes, hierachies and roles, instead of free iniciative like ONS. UT Players were supposed to be part of a team, not an army.
Part of ONS problem was that nobody knew what to do. Joining a pub was a crapshoot as to whether you were going to be on the winning side or falling under the landslide of being vehicle stomped.

To be fair, I think ONS was better from a competitive standpoint, but for casual pub playing, it was terrible.
* It's called Warfare. Abbreviation: WAR
So? CoD4 has a gametype called Headquarters. Abbreviation: HQ
* It's now a war against the Necris, not a tournament
In gameplay, what it's "about" makes no difference. Did you care that most of the assault levels in UT2004 were based around "actual events" in the Unreal universe? I sure as heck didn't give a crap when I was playing them.