Should Epic repeat the 2k3 -> 2k4 history again to save UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
This topic mainly addresses those who agree UT3 has a lot of problems and isn't that great at the current point. Looking between UT3 and 2k4, I fully agree the main features we're missing from UT3 don't have any chance to come back in a simple patch. There are very few gametypes, very few character types, new limitations that make configuration and mapping harder, etc. as most of this has already been discussed.

I kept wondering what could make UT better, and what could help us see a UT3 with the features from the previous series. Like I said, clearly no patch can solve all this as it's way too much to do. However, I kept thinking how it would be like if Epic decided to do what they did on the UT2 engine; make another game on Unreal 3 engine, just like UT3 itsself but with all the missing features that people want in.

4-5 years ago, Epic released UT2k3. When they seen many didn't like it and where disappointed, they created 2k4 next year which made almost everyone happy again. I'm wondering if they should repeat that history again. Of course those who buy the game from the store will have to buy a totally different one, servers would be probably different... but still, maybe that could be the only way if we want to see a correct UT 3 again. It could be named UT4, or UT2k8 or something else.

So what do you think? Should we encourage Epic to do that? Think it could help make a good UT3? I'm thinking about asking Epic directly on the forum or somewhere else with other people (if we can find a way to contact them that is) to do such a thing.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I'd hope not. I'd much rather see them patch it to a normal lifecycle and throw in the extra content for free.

Though if they actually implemented things like a better UI, Conquest, and stuff that would warrant me purchasing it again, well... I might change my mind.

Might.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Personally, I'd love to see an UT4 that's essentially a bugfixed and more mod, online & customization friendly version of UT3, with some new content and stuff like the new soft body physics and water fx thrown in for good measure. It probably wouldn't 'save' the franchise, and the studio that brought you Gears of War certainly has 'better' (more lucrative) things to do, but it would be nice farewell present for the hardcore fans...

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Yes!!

I think it would do this game a lot of favours to release a souped up reduxed version.

The problem with simply patching it is that it won't bring in anymore of an audience. That will only be of help to the few hundred people who still play this game online.

Also, patching only makes moderate improvements. That only makes it a bit better, not excellent. With a UT3.5, Epic can strip out and replace entire horrible parts of this game like the UI, Online Features, PlayerScale, Single Player Campaign....

The other benefit of a UT3.5 is that Epic could release it at better time (Where its not competing with a billion other shooters) with a much better demo!!

The only problems with this will be possible content conflicts with the console version for mods. To overcome those, they would have to do a re release on consoles also, and I doubt Epic will do that because they're quite happy with how this game is working on consoles.

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
While i like the idea of a UT3.5 i'm not sure how it would affect the MSUC.

Did the original MSUC start with UT2k3 or UT2k4?

I'm sure Epic could move the dates about, which would be good because It would give modding teams more time. There is a bunch of features that Epic could add in the meantime that would really help out any modding teams.

[VaLkyR]Assassin

Kidneythieves and Poets of The Fall Fan
Jan 20, 2008
Blackpool, England, UK
valkyrgaming.com
No way would I want a UT3.5 - I would simply not buy it unless they made available the content as an add-on disk for current UT3 owners for a reduced/low price (or free :p). They could still release a new version as a seperate package for newer players that don't have UT3 yet, but they shouldn't do what they did with UT2K3 to UT2K4 and force us to pay out for a whole new version. We should have the option to buy a cheaper upgrade pack seperately.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
I agree with that, Assassin. Something like... you come in and show your UT3 original disk and get it at half price cuz you have it or something like that. Or if not you can just download it from a p2p or torrent, though it's better to buy it as I believe Epic deserves having the real one bought for the effort they did with the UT series in general, even if they didn't do everything right with the last one.

Anyway, I believe we should probably take this to UT forums and talk with Epic about it... though I worry they will not listen. Companies don't usually listen to fans very much, and I don't think Epic are special fan-listeners either. They will probably not even read it and if they will ignore it :( But if almost everyone agrees with this, even with a few conditions some may want, I think it's worth trying.

And Interbellum, even if UT3 isn't at all that great I can't really say the UT series is now ruined forever and lost. They did a great job with the older UT's, and if they would be to decide to get back up they can do it again and revive the series anytime... but yeah they just need to will to do that. I think what Epic did with UT3 is the problem that 95% of the game making companies do these days, which is saying "If the game has awesome rendering with cool bloom and distortion effects, the gameplay and everything else doesn't matter so much". *goes back to her impossible fantasist dreams of seeing 2k4 running on the Unreal 3 engine in the meantime*

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
What no poll? I agree with [VaLkyR]Assassin, a sure fire way to make my purchase of UT3 worthless is to release UT3.5 so I would like some compensation if that happens. Personally I prefer the idea of an expansion more than another standalone UT game.

The MSUC started with 2k3 and about half way went to 2k4, it did mess up the dates some though since 2k4 broke some stuff with 2k3. If it was an expansion that also wouldnt be as much of an issue as you could tell people the expansion is required, much like ECE.

I like the sound of reduxed version gregori, mind you UT3 on a whole is UT redux. I dunno though hey, I mean releasing an expansion might do zero to help and might even make things worse. Its obvious that UT3 wasnt as popular as other games but hey what UT game has been, that would be my concern with Epic jumping on UT3.5 too quick. Honestly it might be better to take what they can from UT3's release and then do UT4 with UE3.5 after they have done with Gears 2, I mean its not long till thats out so they should be able to muster atleast alittle bit of a team together. I just dunno though, Im pretty happy to stick with UT3 and Id wonder if saving is what it needs :cool:

ds3

Feb 25, 2008
I will buy it. But more likely EPIC won't make it.
Not for PC. Now only consoles. >_>
They've already stated that their next engine will be console only. I doubt they won't make another UT game before it.
Sad. As... ****. T_T

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
They've already stated that their next engine will be console only. I doubt they won't make another UT game before it.
Sad. As... ****. T_T

Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I will buy it. But more likely EPIC won't make it.
Not for PC. Now only consoles. >_>
Sad. As... ****. T_T

Two wrongs in one small post, congrats!

For one, Epic will make another Unreal universe game in Unreal Engine 3 (this is part of their contract with Midway) and secondly, while their next engine will probably be focused on consoles, it will not be console-exclusive as in "not for PC at all".

Last edited:

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
This topic sounds like deja-vu, but it's worth repeating.

As much as I have wanted UT series to succeed (for totally selfish reasons) - this plan simply would not fly with me. Requiring customers to re-purchase the game - Again! - is not a good plan. I'm not willing to do that, and I'm willing to bet I'm not alone. Not by a long shot.

No. For me, the line is drawn in the sand on this game. They would have to stay with this one, and bring it up to par (there is still a long way to go), before I would be willing to buy any more of their games.

If it weren't for my mod involvement, I would have already considered Epic to be on my Do Not Buy list (just like Digital Extremes due to Pariah). You just can't keep selling unfinished games and expect your customers to keep buying them. Especially when you have been dishonest about the state of the game when you sold it to us, because now nothing they say about their next game will be taken at face value.

I have a much better - Entirely reasonable suggestion - they should simply stop trying to sell the PC version of UT. Make it free. Sell the engine, sell GOW, maybe even sell the console versions, I dunno. But the tech demo for their engine (the UT series) should be free. Having very populated servers and lots and lots of mods would be a great way to advertise their engine.

There are lots of things you could try on top of that. Maybe they create an online distribution system, and help mod teams sell mods, and take a small cut. Maybe instead of cold-heartedly cherry-picking ideas from their mod community, they could help and nurture and carry those mods over to retail games on their engine, and get a piece of that. Hell, I dunno, get creative.

Time to shake things up, and more of the same just isn't going to do it.

ds3

Feb 25, 2008
Two wrongs in one small post, congrats!

For one, Epic will make another Unreal universe game in Unreal Engine 3 (this is part of their contract with Midway) and secondly, while their next engine will probably be focused on consoles, it will not be console-exclusive as in "not for PC at all".
Oh. My sources are no longer reliable. *grabs bloody knife and goes away*

Maybe they create an online distribution system, and help mod teams sell mods, and take a small cut.
NO WAI!!!
I DO NOT want to PAY for MODS! Think next time. And speak for yourself. The good side of mods that people just making games that they want for themselves. YOU want to ruin this "mystery of modding" and turn them into money-lusting who****s???
No thanks.

Last edited:

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
It would be tragic if UT went non-pc in the future. Many players don't have special consoles for 3D games like Playstations or Xboxes and go with the classic PC (lucky theres emulators out there). Anyway, that contract is really interesting, Wormbo. Does that mean they will undoubtfully make another UT on the Unreal 3 engine? That would be awesome.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
I'n not so bothered by purchasing an upgraded version with twice the content and every single feature improved, with a discount. It only costs 40-50 blips for months and years of gameplay.

Once that new version is absolutely excellent packed with brilliant features, I'm all for it. Its not so much about making people repurchase as it is about bringing more people into the game. I want a deadly game with loads of people to play against. I don't think UT3 quite has the features to keep people playing.

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
In the worst case we could even make a community patch. I heard someone added the old gametypes back in already... so someone could re-make the menus, put the bot rooster back in, the mp3 player too, and probably make a simple new ladder singleplayer like the normal series.

ds3

Feb 25, 2008
and probably make a simple new ladder singleplayer like the normal series.
Seconded. I can't understand why Epic dislikes it? Why forcing some unfinished story with necris in Unreal TOURNAMENT 3?
I'd rather played through series of ladders like in good old times of 99 and 2k4. (Also with coop xD )

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't think any amount of patching is going to fix UT3. Even if they completely revamped the game, it's time is past. The only way "UT3" will gain any popularity is a re-release. If R.Flagg has had "the line drawn in the sand" and won't be buying another Epic game, perhaps that is for the best :p I would rather lose a few current community members if it meant a much more solid and stable game release and much more interest by the gaming community.

I hope they do it. I'll buy it again. I also hope that Epic has learned one lesson: The freaking UI matters. If they had been more open about the UI in UT3, they could have had feedback and issues resolved months prior to the game's release. Apparently, though, the UI wasn't done until a couple of weeks before the demo came out :)