Make People Like UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
From the creator of the Official UT3 Loving Thread comes a new thread for you to post in.

What if we all could make people enjoy UT3 more and more often?

Benefits
More players on the UT3 game servers.
More international and local UT3 competitions.
More members of this and other UT3 forums.
More UT3 mappers and modders.
More custom made UT3 contents.
More sales, patches and bonus packs.
More quality game time for all of us.

What can we do?
Play the game online.
Come together from this forum and play each other.
Spread the word UT3 is a great game.
Invite people to our party.

Come on people. Deep inside we all love the game, that's why we are here in the first place.

Make a suggestion or two. Say something nice about the game.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I'm really sorry to sound like a pessimist but we've got to stop beating ourselves up as a community for UT3's failure. It's not our fault and we're not going to fix it ourselves. Epic sent a clear message when they released an unfinished game and then failed to support it in any meaningful way, and many people have given up on the game as a result.

Then there's the fact that oldskool-style shooters like UT3 are simply a dying breed because their learning curve to play online is way too high. Every game is going to have some people entering it and some people leaving it, and these days it's about 2 people leaving for every one person that enters the UT community. Lots of people tried the game and simply didn't like it and didn't stick around; we as a community can't make those people play UT3.

The reasons for the game's failure are Epic's failure to support it, and the fact that most people would rather play other games these days. Game communities are driven by the game itself. We can't reasonably expect ourselves to fix this community unless we could go back in time and fix UT3 before it was ever released.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
By that same token, we can't put all the blame on Epic. Most people are a lot harder on the game than it deserves.

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
I think the more the community can make their own individual decisions to fix what they think is wrong with UT3 and release exciting new content, the more people will play UT3.

Epic may have not finished the game but they certainly laid the foundation for us to create new and innovative stuff; Realizing that the community consists of talented people, they are encouraging people with incentives to "Make Something Unreal"

IronMan(Erie)

May 31, 2005
Erie, Pa
It seems alot of the newer games are in this same situation. The originals of a series and the first sequel seems to have done well while further versions of these games seem to disappoint.

Examples:
UT + UT2004 = success
UT3 = unpopular

Quake2 + Quake3 = success
Quake4 = unpopular

MOH:AA + MOH:SH = success
MOH: Pacific Assault + MOH:Airborne = unpopular

Battlefield1942 + Battlefield2 = success
Battlefield2142 = unpopular

I'm sure others could name other games in this same situation. I feel that gameplay is being sacrificed for eye candy and being over-hyped. Personally I like these unpopular games but I also enjoy the more popular versions more. The only thing we as players can do is just play what we like and stop arguing over which games are better or putting down those who like something we don't. Things change and not always for the better. :hmm:

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
The UT franchise is probably finished, but its spirit could (at least for a while) live on via mods and TCs. Basically, UT3 needs its own Counter-Strike or Team Fortress, only cooler, sexier, crazier... and above all highly customizable/moddable.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
well, I am awaiting for the releasing third pacth Epic, at least Epic knows perfectly what to do with UT3....I have yet some faith in seeing some movements from this enterprise, while those things will become out...I play in lan mode with my friends. Its matter to wait paciently they fixing bit to bit all mentioned bugs in Epic forums..

I think blame is for community for the impatience at all

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Come on people. Deep inside we all love the game, that's why we are here in the first place.
Umm... No. That's like saying the UT players are here for UT2004. :con:

Again, people here on BuF severely underestimate their worthlessness in the grand scheme of the gaming populace. We are but a tiny, tiny portion of the potential sales. It's not our fault and there's nothing we can do about it on a macro scale. Yes, on a micro scale (ie FragBU) we could do something, but otherwise you're dreaming, pal.

If Epic gave UT3 away for free people still wouldn't play it. That's how little people outside in the "real" world care about it. D:

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
From the creator of the Official UT3 Loving Thread comes a new thread for you to post in.

What if we all could make people enjoy UT3 more and more often?

Benefits
More players on the UT3 game servers.
More international and local UT3 competitions.
More members of this and other UT3 forums.
More UT3 mappers and modders.
More custom made UT3 contents.
More sales, patches and bonus packs.
More quality game time for all of us.

What can we do?
Play the game online.
Come together from this forum and play each other.
Spread the word UT3 is a great game.
Invite people to our party.

Make a suggestion or two. Say something nice about the game.

Have you heard of capitalism? It's what we follow here in America. And it works. It goes like this:

If the company makes a crappy product, people don't buy it and the company fails. If the company makes a good product, we buy it, utilize it, and the company retains our support (and money). The customers have no obligation or desire to hold the company's hand when it fails. And that is what has happened.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
If they gave the game, and the hardware to run it away, I bet plenty of people would play it then...

...and uh, though most of that post seems true, bf2142 still has a formidable population. Not everyone moved up to it from bf2, but still seems way easier to find games there than in UT3 and UT2004 combined.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
This is one of those threads that CliffyB probably points to when peope ask him why he is exclusively working on Gears of War titles these days. UT3 is what it is and that is still a great game with plenty of cool stuff no other shooter has. Mutators! Talk about great gameplay altering content and not one other game offers these and also the ability to make more. And of course there is the whole overall moddability of UT3. It may not be able to match UT2k4 but even in six months there is far more really great content than any other shooter around. Crysis one of my favorite games does not have nearly as many great mods (character, levels, weapons, vehicles, mutators), nor does HL2, or any shooter you could name (other than another UT title). And with several map packs in the works including the CBP3 and UCMP5 there just isn't any shooter that can compete with UT3 in this area.

Plus another really solid patch is coming soon and what other shooter on the PS3 allows people to easily add lots of extra content most of which is really good? Not one. And name another shooter that offers bots as good as the oft-maligned ones in UT3? You can't. So in the end when you really look at UT3 you have to admit it is really one of the best shooters around (3rd or FPS thanks to mutators) in this new generation. The vehicles are easily the coolest in any game and this is coming from a Halo 3 fan. If not for a truly crap campaign, the lack of Assault and Invasion, and the UI this game would have gotten way more 90% and up scores. As it is an average of 86% (PS3 version) certainly cannot be interpreted as a poor score.

Xavi

Southamerican Rocker!!!
May 6, 2008
Barranquilla, Colombia
In my opinion the game is not as popular like the last iterations of the franchise because of the publisher (Midway). I didnt see too much advertising and no interaction with the market (activating the hype-machine). The games great is a shame not so many people knew about it. And i agree with Brizz , people was too hard with the game.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'll tell ya what, over the span of my UT playing years (about 8 or 9 now) I have met very few people who actually like and play UT games or even first-person shooter games other than such titles as Halo, BF or MOH. UT is simply a niche game for a select group of gamers. Yeah, I realize how redundant that sentence is, but it is true nonetheless. Gamers appear to be moving away from such games as UT more and more, whether it is due to laziness or just a lack of interest. Personally, I would bet that even if UT3 for PC had not been riddled with issues at its demo and full releases, it still would not have compared to sales and online numbers as Halo 3 or COD4. No, I don't have any proof to back that up, but knowing that less than 700K UT3 demo downloads took place in the weeks between the demo and retail version place indicates a lack of interest compared to the sales of the two aforementioned titles (and yes, I know that H3 is an XBox release and COD4 is multi-platform). It says something when a demo can't generate the same numbers, whether it be a tainted demo release or a lack of interest.

Face it, there have plenty of really good games that sold poorly or have/had a small playerbase. It f*cking happens. We can all cry about how bad UT3 is and ask what can be done to increase online player numbers, but even if Epic were to release a new version of the game that meets everyones' demands, it still probably won't fair well. The problem is this, what do they fix? What elements are needed to create a more palatable game for the average PC gamer to be interested enough to spend money on it? Face it, just bringing in a better UI, getting rid of GS and making a more tournament style ladder isn't guaranteed to make the game any more of a success than it is right now. It may give many less reason to bitch, but that is about it.