Uninstall UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Uninstall UT3?

• Yes

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 54 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Yes, I find the Masterful skill almost too cunning and hard. In UT I preferred Godlike because I could win most of the times. Inhuman did work for me in UT2k4 even thou it was quite crasy and I could only win on a handful of maps. If I had the proper framerates and loading times for UT3 I could probably enjoy skills above Masterful.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
The problem with UT3 is that at lower frame rates the game is unplayable thanks to the input being tied in with the frame rate.

Getting good fps makes the game feel totally different.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
The problem with UT3 is that at lower frame rates the game is unplayable thanks to the input being tied in with the frame rate.

Getting good fps makes the game feel totally different.

Agreed 100%.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I thought they fixed that framerate issue... I thought it was one of the first things they did in v1.1. My memory's terrible, though, so there's no telling.

The only mouse input concern that's left is one that's unique to UT3 that many people can feel but no one can really explain or fix. The mouse input system just feels off to many people (myself included) -- no other way to put it. Every other game I've played in the past five years has been perfectly fine with regards to the mouse, so it sticks out as obvious when there's one that's different in any way.

Other than that UT3's netcode is the worst of the UT series (barring UT, but I never played that online in any capacity). Not only does it have inaccurate client-side projectile interpolation (like all UTs) but it's also got hitscan inaccuracy issues as well, something unique to UT3. Plus all pings are higher than past UTs.

Screwed up input system + bad FPS + bad netcode + higher pings = Hyru suckage. :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
if you can't make your mind up,
we'll never get started.
and i don't wanna wind up
being parted, broken-hearted.
so if you really love me,
say yes.
but if you don't, dear, confess.
and please don't tell me
perhaps, perhaps, perhaps,
perhaps, perhaps, perhaps,
perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I thought they fixed that framerate issue... I thought it was one of the first things they did in v1.1. My memory's terrible, though, so there's no telling.

The only mouse input concern that's left is one that's unique to UT3 that many people can feel but no one can really explain or fix. The mouse input system just feels off to many people (myself included) -- no other way to put it. Every other game I've played in the past five years has been perfectly fine with regards to the mouse, so it sticks out as obvious when there's one that's different in any way.

Other than that UT3's netcode is the worst of the UT series (barring UT, but I never played that online in any capacity). Not only does it have inaccurate client-side projectile interpolation (like all UTs) but it's also got hitscan inaccuracy issues as well, something unique to UT3. Plus all pings are higher than past UTs.

Screwed up input system + bad FPS + bad netcode + higher pings = Hyru suckage. :)

The input system can be fixed, but it takes some ini tweaking.

The projectile issue I believe to be crappy servers tbh. There are a couple of 80 tick servers out there, and I have yet to notice this problem on any of those....

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
The input system can be fixed, but it takes some ini tweaking.

I always tweaked UTs... but not to fix things, just to bend them. You have to go to inis a lot with UT3. Add your favorite private server, turn off bot tounts (with luck)... and now to fix mouse? :) That's ... that would be funny but it's actually sad.

And Fuzz... about bots. It would be good if they are really better/smarter. But they are just more botish and frustrating. What's the point to be head-shot right after you get around the corner? Beating UT2004 godlike bot in duel got you to low-mid skill against real players... maybe. It was hard, but after some time all godlike bots had the same rhythm. UT3 bots are bit better, they wait for you here and there and are less predictable. But when you face them they are just stupid bots with frustrating reactions. They don't predict/guess when you shoot or move randomly at least - they simply dodge your flak AFTER you shoot. That's why it's much less fun than any previous UT. I expected more from AI development. ;-) More "inteligence" and less "artificial" on the first sight.

toxjq

May 16, 2008
when new patch and final version of Uwindows comes out reinstall it but until then uninstall the waste of space. **** i didn't even buy my copy, pirated german version FTW.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
And Fuzz... about bots. It would be good if they are really better/smarter. But they are just more botish and frustrating. What's the point to be head-shot right after you get around the corner? Beating UT2004 godlike bot in duel got you to low-mid skill against real players... maybe. It was hard, but after some time all godlike bots had the same rhythm. UT3 bots are bit better, they wait for you here and there and are less predictable. But when you face them they are just stupid bots with frustrating reactions. They don't predict/guess when you shoot or move randomly at least - they simply dodge your flak AFTER you shoot. That's why it's much less fun than any previous UT. I expected more from AI development. ;-) More "inteligence" and less "artificial" on the first sight.

Aye, one thing i allways liked about UT bots was that they felt human, and not human player mind you, not like a human playing the game over the internet against you, but an actual person that exists in that world, they felt more like the AI you see in singleplayer games than the typical "bots" you see in Half-Life based mods and the like, its was a rather different experiance than playing it online, but in a very good way, sometimes i allmost felt i was back playing Unreal SP.

UT3 bots however feels like playing on a very disorganized pub server against people with aimbots and wallhacks.. and sure, you can scale the dificulty down, but when you reach the sweet spot where they finally start to play more fair, then they stop knowing how to navigate the maps, and run around like lemmings.

Add in the IA menus that wont save anything, and all the missing options we used to have in IA, and it is just not worth it, UT3 is online or bust, and that is very disapointing, because the pre release hype promised that UT3 would be much better offline than previous UT's.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
UT2 didn't do that right? Maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time with this compared to UT2...
Nope, 2k3 and 2k4 didn't have this issue at all.

In UT3 there are certain parts of maps that almost totally disable my mouse input and my keyboard input. To make matters worse, around those spots my mouse sens becomes half of what it usually is. :c

Skakruk

Jan 20, 2008
Let's face it, I don't even play the game once a week and I really need more disk space to play games like BioShock and Crysis.

I could play through Half-Life 2 and the first Command and Conquer, but that will take a lot of time. I just simply don't want to uninstall them before I have completed them. I might get rid of Half-Life 2 if I don't find it fun to play next time I do so, but that won't cut it, I will still need more disk space.

What would you have done? Would you uninstall UT3?

I would not go to the trouble of uninstalling UT3, but I'm regularly reformatting my PC (for testing purposes), and since the first time I installed it (several months ago), I have yet to install it again.

I hate to say it, but I really don't get the urge to play UT3. I'll probably install it when I get my HD 4870 so I can benchmark it, but I never really feel like playing UT3. :(

The worst thing for me, is that I purchased this game at full new release price, and I have had less than 10 hours enjoyment out of it so far. Usually I leave games a few months before I buy them, an I wish I had done so with UT3.

EDIT: Maybe if someone releases a quality Skaarj pack, that will all change!

Last edited:

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
I won't remove the game yet, because I like botmatch. Unreal Tournament III is the only game I play multiplayer in so I'll hang on to it for now.

My solution was removing other games I don't play at all.

Well of course, logic dictates

if (ut3_freq > any_other_game_freq) then
{
uninstall (any_other_game)
}
else
{
uninstall (ut3)
}

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
I think "format c:" would be more appropriate for people like this with questions like these...

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Someone should make a few mutators out of that.
Code:
if (ut3.freq > other_game.freq) then
{
  uninstall(other_game);
}
else
{
  uninstall(ut3);
}
Code:
if (user.question == stupid) then
{
  format(c);
}
I didn't vote, but I did find the answer myself. I thought people might be interested in debating whether UT3 is worth the disk space or not and it still is.

Status
Not open for further replies.