UT3.5 or UT4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
[PSI]Snow White;2129942 said:
I love the game.. The only problem our sniper server has is the package error bug :( When bug is fixed in the next patch, Bye Bye too UT2004.

maybe for you, but numbers dont line, and 2k4 still out ranks ut3 in online popularity BY FAR...

I too hope for a big addon to UT3, I'm soo curious to see what EPIC's plan for this game is :D

me too, i hope its something big, and something worth talking about, cause ut3 needs a good "pick me up" right now.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
It's good to see that somebody else notices and cares about the screwed netcode (yes, it definitely is). I would play this game with the 10 other people online, IF.......I could frickin hit them. Aiming 5 seconds in front of someone is not easy for somewhat casual players, like me. And this is even if I have like 60 ping. It just gets far worse when the ping goes up to 100, like most servers are. :(

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
A bonus pack isn't going to draw players to a game they didn't buy in the first place. The only way to increase the depressingly-small player base of this game is to have a completely new release that draws in more players. At the very least, Epic should release a new demo, done right. My #1 problem with UT3 is not the menu, or the bugs, or whatever, it's that when I open the server broswer I see 0/xx all the way down the screen.

+1

If I was a prospective buyer for the game... the demo/release version are frightening.

Not even everyone knows about the patches - what the ****? Even to this day there are noobs in the pub servers who don't even know theres a patch. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong there - You can't blame people, if I was stuck on that beta release I wouldn't stick around for long either.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
+1

If I was a prospective buyer for the game... the demo/release version are frightening.

Not even everyone knows about the patches - what the ****? Even to this day there are noobs in the pub servers who don't even know theres a patch. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong there - You can't blame people, if I was stuck on that beta release I wouldn't stick around for long either.

There is an incredibly easy fix for this kinda problem, though Epic doesn't have the sense to implement it. Look at CoD4 and Gas Powered Games' systems. They notify you of a new patch, and give you an easy way to download/install it. This should be implemented in all multiplayer games imo.

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
There is an incredibly easy fix for this kinda problem, though Epic doesn't have the sense to implement it. Look at CoD4 and Gas Powered Games' systems. They notify you of a new patch, and give you an easy way to download/install it. This should be implemented in all multiplayer games imo.

That was my point :) It's incredibly easy, yet they chose not to add it - and their choice will cost them in the end.

IMO It's not only this issue, but all the little ones.They just pile up on top and block everyones view of (what could have been) the excellent game underneath.

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
That was my point :) It's incredibly easy, yet they chose not to add it - and their choice will cost them in the end.

IMO It's not only this issue, but all the little ones.They just pile up on top and block everyones view of (what could have been) the excellent game underneath.

one word, POLISH, ut3 doesn't have any...ut3 could have been a sweet $100,000 hotrod car, instead its a rinkydink, beat up, beater in a auto graveyard. all it needed was a little love and care, it suffers from it, and it shows.

[PSI]Snow White

Jan 30, 2008
maybe for you, but numbers dont line, and 2k4 still out ranks ut3 in online popularity BY FAR....

GameSpy list 4403 ut2004 players online :lol: Game Monitor list 1,600 ut2004 players online right now. 600 ut3 players online now. Remember GameSpy counts ut2004 bots.

Last edited:

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
People throwing mud on the car does not help. People helping restore it does.

but thats just the thing, "WE" cant "help restore" or "fix" anything. us "people" can not fix any major problems with the game, we can not fix the online bug that kicks users for not having packages they do have, we cant fix the netcode which effects us all with worse pings than any previous UT, we cant fix the GUI as a whole, we cant fix the very minimal options that are given to us, we cant fix the whole fubbard "ip fav's and buddy system", we cant fix no custom xhairs, we cant release a new demo, we cant fix any of the major flaws that waves of people continue to complain about...

The ONLY things "we" can do is to release new maps, skins, and or new mods. and if you want to keep this in an analogy state, releasing new maps and mods is like filling the gas tank, we (the players) can sit here all day filling the gas tank to this "beater" but in the end, if the car is to beat up to even start, its not going to help the cause at all.

on the other hand, if the car was a sweet hot rod, and the community continued to fill the gas tank with sweet maps and mods, we could keep this car puring for years and years to come (as like previous UT's which still out rank ut3 in popularity).

i may seem negative, or that i "hate ut3" but its just not the fact, i love unreal period, i want the game to succeed just as much as anyone else out there and i still play every unreal from unreal 1 to ut2k4 and ut3, but from what i have seen so far from the last 9+ months since ut3 demo was released does not have me very enthused and quite worried about the fate of ut3...which is why most of us truly believe we need a "ut4" re-release like 2k4 was, to give the unreal game the shot of adrenaline it needs to be the game it should have been from the start.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
but thats just the thing, "WE" cant "help restore" or "fix" anything. us "people" can not fix any major problems with the game, we can not fix the online bug that kicks users for not having packages they do have, we cant fix the netcode which effects us all with worse pings than any previous UT, we cant fix the GUI as a whole, we cant fix the very minimal options that are given to us, we cant fix the whole fubbard "ip fav's and buddy system", we cant fix no custom xhairs, we cant release a new demo, we cant fix any of the major flaws that waves of people continue to complain about...

The ONLY things "we" can do is to release new maps, skins, and or new mods. and if you want to keep this in an analogy state, releasing new maps and mods is like filling the gas tank, we (the players) can sit here all day filling the gas tank to this "beater" but in the end, if the car is to beat up to even start, its not going to help the cause at all.

on the other hand, if the car was a sweet hot rod, and the community continued to fill the gas tank with sweet maps and mods, we could keep this car puring for years and years to come (as like previous UT's which still out rank ut3 in popularity).

i may seem negative, or that i "hate ut3" but its just not the fact, i love unreal period, i want the game to succeed just as much as anyone else out there and i still play every unreal from unreal 1 to ut2k4 and ut3, but from what i have seen so far from the last 9+ months since ut3 demo was released does not have me very enthused and quite worried about the fate of ut3...which is why most of us truly believe we need a "ut4" re-release like 2k4 was, to give the unreal game the shot of adrenaline it needs to be the game it should have been from the start.
1) The non-package issue only occurs when you switch from one WAR/VCTF custom map to another WAR/VCTF custom map, and that will be fixed in Patch 3, which is under development.

2) Netcode could really be tweaked if people wanted it to be tweaked, but honestly, the netcode is a lot better here than in UT2004. Every try hitting someone with the shield gun primary? You might as well have flipped a coin. In UT3, you can actually HIT people with the hammer.

3) You can modify the GUI, just not easily. Did you look at SolidSnake's UWindows2?

4) Major tweaks are in the INI as always and you have Brad.G's INI tweaker to bring the INI tweaking power to the masses.

5) Doesn't CustomUT allow custom crosshairs?

6) Updated demos probably will get released after a bonus pack with large content, or after the majority of bugs are fixed. Putting a update in now would still be bad.

7) Again, Patch 3 is in development.

8) It's 7 months, not 9.

9) Posts complaining about how they're "not doing anything" doesn't help. They've heard everything for the last seven months, and to be dead honest, if people complain about all sorts of known issues, I wouldn't want to reply or talk about it earlier, because someone might bitch and complain about something I might not be able to fix yet. Epic knows the issues, Epic is going to fix them, and you're just going to have to WAIT, because no UT was ever perfect on release. UT2003 wasn't, UT2004 wasn't, and UT3 wasn't. When did they begin to really kick ass? About a year after the game was released. We've still got five months to go.

10) :lock:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
11) Patch 3 will contain an update to enable cross platform multiplayer PS3 vs PC :eek: just kidding...

eblade

Jan 29, 2006
I'd like to see an Unreal 3 .. because epic can make great single player games. But please for the love of Christ don't ever both doing any more multiplayer games.

awaw

I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash
Jan 19, 2008
Let me just put it this way: I played UT3 at 5 am on a full warfare server (60 ping, so not on the other side of the earth!). It's alive enough for me :)

err sorry I meant:
no it isn't