UE3 - UT3 Sub-objects of mesh not animation on export

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dakatsu

Elite Nova Corps Member
Mar 25, 2005
I have a mesh, and using ActorX, exported it and some animations (Reload, Cock, ScopeOut, and ScopeIn for starters). I am using 3dsmax 9 with the latest version of ActorX.

The object has a tree like this:
Code:
BODY
  CLIP
    BULLET
  LENS
  STOCK
  TRIGGER
Now, the body will load fine, when I rotate it back for example, it will do that in UED4. However, if I move any sub-objects, nothing happens. The funny thing is I can load it in UT2004/UED3 without any problems; the mesh and its sub-objects will animate perfectly fine as it appears in the 3d program. I have tried multiple meshes many times, but it just doesn't work under any circumstances. Any help would be appreciated, as I really have no idea what could cause this...:confused:

ng.aniki

Apr 25, 2008
you can try to skin (something really basic, weight at 0 or 1 depending on the sub object) those parts, and anime the bones ?

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Sounds like the same issue I had this semester at uni working in Source.

Before you try what Aniki suggested, try placing a bone where the clip is (for example) and using select+link to the clip. Move the bone rather than the clip. The clip will follow, and as its the bones being animated it might work.

That's the case in the Source engine anyway, worth a shot before using skin as its a lot quicker.

Dakatsu

Elite Nova Corps Member
Mar 25, 2005
Most likely a stupid question; I know what a bone is and what it is designed to do, but how do I create them in 3ds max? :)

Dakatsu

Elite Nova Corps Member
Mar 25, 2005
Toolbar on the right Create->Systems->Bones

And yeah everything has to be weighted to a bone in Source, I would imagine it's the same in UE3 (animating using objects is dumb anyway).
That makes good limbs, but since my model needs a clip that can move far away from the model, I need "seperated" bones, ones I can have connected to eachother but move independantly on their own if need be.

(Sorry, the previous engine I worked with had bones created by creating a low poly sphere and checking "Bone" under its export options, so I am new to this kind of rigging)