Wild and Crazy Gears 2 Predictions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Our old friend RaptoR at Planet Gears of War puts forth a handful of zany predictions about Gears of War 2. Here's number 4:

4. There will be a PC release within twelve months.

PC gaming isn't dead yet, despite the army of angry Internet people who might claim otherwise. The PC version of Gears didn't sell huge numbers, probably due to the horribleness of Games for Windows Live and the fact that everyone has already played it on the 360. Gears PC also suffered from immense competition when it was released in November 2007, not least of which was Epic's own Unreal Tournament 3.

Nevertheless, we predict a Holiday 2009 release for Gears of War 2 on the PC. It takes relatively little effort to port an Unreal Engine 3 game back to Windows, and Epic has the time and manpower to pull it off. The only question is whether it'll be received any better than the Windows version of the first Gears of War.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well its a MS published franchise at this point, I dont see windows live going anywhere in a hurry because of that fact. Then again MS marketing did sweet gnaff all for the game on PC.

Most of the predictions seem spot on but Im really hoping they are wrong for Epic's sake, theres no way this franchise can be that predictable. If it is then well... Perhaps outselling the first one might be harder than they think.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
if all the PC games i already own would support live, i would use it. There's only one game, and I don't want to pay 60€/Year for it lol

why can't they make it like xfire so that it does support 3rd party games? Because it's microsoft.
so i'l keep using xfire.
i mean, i would have bought the XBOX version, but i sent my xbox back, because it's very loud and there's no Antialiasing in a lowresolution of 1280x720 which looks ugly

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
it will be made on pc, but for a different reason,

m$ is the publisher, if m$ feels it can earn still more money with the title by selling more copies, they will be doing.

That is folks!, for them this is just another way to count dollars on their accounts!

DO you think is epic?, they are always releasing as many titles on many platforms toghether as possible, look at ut3!

m$ is also the reason for the title is exclusive for a year on the 360, they think that making on that way, they sell all the copies possible on the 360, and then there are ppl that buys for a second time when it comes to pc, so the more you sell, the better.

m$ is also the reason because they dont talk anything about making on pc, if they make you think that its only coming for 360, you buy it for the 360, then they release for pc a year after and you buy it for pc again,

a picture of the game could be taken on an stand of the game for windows platform and they would still be denyng that is not comig for pc, to sell more 360 copies,

And everything above is just my speculation based on what i have seen before.

Ironoy: please take a couple minutes to hail the marketing folks and their strategies they have learnt on their fancy marketing school that tell us how and when to play our games, being them absolutly not videogame players.... i love this business

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
i guess it'd already help a lot if they just fixed windows live (or gears pc i don't know where exactly this problem originates).
list play in gears doesn't work at all for me. it always shows 250-300 servers but it doesn't list them. always the same 'refreshing...' message but nothing ever happens. it also seems that it's not limited to me since there are several threads on the official forums with people screaming bloody murder because of it :\
it's a shame because every now and then i find a player match with an acceptable ping and the game is just heaps of fun.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Why the hold up? Especially if they know they are going for more sales than the first game?

awaw

I didn't survive the '08 BUF crash
Jan 19, 2008
Nice predictions, sound pretty realistic.

if all the PC games i already own would support live, i would use it. There's only one game, and I don't want to pay 60€/Year for it lol

You can play online just fine with the free silver membership.

LMN8R

Jan 22, 2008
Unfortunately, if GoW 2 comes to PC, there's no way it'll be on Steam or lack GFW Live thanks to Microsoft being the publisher.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
yep.

another reason why it didn't sell well: They took features out of the game. The Console version had Split-Screen co-op, the PC version not. That's why I did not buy the game.

Because it's really easy to play splitscreen games on a PC...

Its quite a trick just to take input from two seperate keyboards, much less have them crowded around a monitor...
It doesn't have splitscreen on PC becuase it's not practical. Who would use it, seriously, anyway?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Because it's really easy to play splitscreen games on a PC...

Its quite a trick just to take input from two seperate keyboards, much less have them crowded around a monitor...
It doesn't have splitscreen on PC becuase it's not practical. Who would use it, seriously, anyway?

Well 2 monitors for PC isnt that uncommon is it? Most people are running 2x3yr old PC's or more in the one box now anyways :p

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
All this effort for a game that will suck. I doubt that it will be different than the first mindless, linear "shoot the bad guys in the corridor" GoW with no story depth at all, full of crappy comments like "Can't stop the train, baby!" and with a good covering system, that can't compensate for the rest.

People's expectations towards games are too low these days and maybe thats the reason why we get crap.