Develop Speculates On Epic Buyouts

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Building upon the (denied) rumors from earlier in the year that Epic Games was a target for a Microsoft buyout, Develop thought it would be entertaining to speculate on which companies might be better suitors for the folks behind the Unreal Engine. Please note that in no way is anyone trying to imply that any of this is actually in the works; this article is more of an exercise in matchmaking... and you might be surprised at what they've come up with.

Assuming someone was to make a move for Epic (which we are not claiming, by the way, just speculating), if you look back at recent announcements, it seems that out of all the more 'neutral' technology companies that are most likely to grab a piece of the pie is Autodesk - and there's several reasons why it in particular could benefit from owning an engine.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I'd never thought of Autodesk buying a 3D engine, but they would be good suitors it seems. Their pretty much turning into the next Adobe in the way of buying up 'rival' companies.
But what would make it sweet is if somehow the UE could benefit from some Autodesk knowledge.

Fordy

Jul 10, 2001
York, UK
www.planetunreal.com
The Epic top guys are probably already filthy rich so unless they are really, really greedy (which I don't imagine they are) I can't see them letting their baby go no matter what.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Epic wouldn't really want to get bought out... they thrive on being able to tell companies to **** off. (Taking risks with unrealengine and such)

But if they were to get bought, Autodesk is an interesting speculation.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Does make you wonder how much spare money Autodesk has got unless they get more loans or something to make the purchase, they bought what alias, the people who made mudbox and this realviz they mention in the article. All those wouldnt have been cheap Id imagine except for maybe mudbox because it seems to be more of a startup deal so it didnt have time to grab a foot hold.

Something to mention also is Epic china seems to be a secondary party to Epic US as they offer service for anyone wanting assets so I dont think thats limited to working with Epic US on projects. I think the article has it right in saying autodesks primary focus would be the engine and not the game development so if there was such a bid, Epic might stay as Epic but unreal engine would change hands and perhaps some of the key staff would be taken on in that department at autodesk.

One problem I do see in this is its just another piece of software for autodesk to maintain ontop of max and maya, so unless they are looking to actually mold something out of the three or something to that effect it could be less cost effective than its worth.

On the flipside they get the engine and all its support from other companies who probably wouldnt mind the new ownership, under MS I could see EA becoming warey and there is a possbility of more anti-trust talk with the amount of UE3 titles hitting MS platforms. As the article says though itd loose a key selling point which is PS3 compatibility. Autodesk might not be focused just on archviz though, they might also be interested in the IPP which Epic no doubt shares many of the same clients with Autodesk. If there is companies Epic is getting over autodesk on their end then that could expand possbilities for max/maya or other autodesk software intergration. That is assuming those people stay onboard under new management :cool:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Does make you wonder how much spare money Autodesk has got unless they get more loans or something to make the purchase, they bought what alias, the people who made mudbox and this realviz they mention in the article. All those wouldnt have been cheap Id imagine except for maybe mudbox because it seems to be more of a startup deal so it didnt have time to grab a foot hold.

Not really.. most of the time when Autodesk "purchases something" -- they don't do a hostile takeover. Alias was bought for only like a hundred million or something ridiculously small for it's marketshare. It was more like becoming a subsidiary than being taken over.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Ahh so it was more of a merger type deal, that makes sense I guess. No doubt they inherited any debt alias might have had, but also assets so perhaps they have enough in equity to offset the cost of a loan.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
I hope that EpicGames remains independent without shareholders personally... shareholders stifle risks. UnrealEngine3 was what it was because it was risky.