Epic commitment to UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
That's why I would be surprised if it was anything other than perception. It probably doesn't work much differently than before. Unless you guys are getting low frames. It does feel like what you are describing when I'm getting 20fps.

How would I get low fps with that hardware? Run on a 300-inch HHHHD screen?;)

No but seriously, how would you make something like this visible?
There are lots of other things that are not subjective, yet still very real that you cannot describe using images or video or graphs.

Also keep in mind that the audio quality example you mentioned is not really the same as this. We are people who want to play a game and feel that the user interaction is not working correctly.
Audiophiles are often people who take pride in their having way-too-expensive audio equipment. Snobs, if you will, who will simply not listen to anything that isn't lossless or studio quality. Half of them suffer from 'acquired' taste, and only have their equipment because they were told it was better, not necessarily because they actually heard it was better.
There's no such 'status' or bragging rights involved in UT3.

A bit like streetcar tuners who outfit their cars with all kinds of parts without knowing what they do or how they will improve the performance.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Definitely not low FPS. 8800GT + E6850 is like 100 FPS. :(

I've also had my mouse for considerable time... over two years now. UT3 was the only game (barring really old ones) in which the mouse control felt effed up. It feels better in the original UT than it did in UT3.

Funny you should mention guitar/music because that's actually a good example. Some people can simply hear notes better than others. I play guitar so I've seen my fair share of tabs, and there have been many, many instances where even if I don't know how to play a particular song I know they've written down some incorrect notes when I hear their tab played back. To me it's incredibly obvious but to them they probably went through replaying and replaying it incorrectly and they never noticed. D:

As for "audiophiles" I remember some informal study some guy did where he tested to see if people could hear the difference between Monster cable and an unfolded clothes hanger. Most of the so-called "audiophiles" he tested couldn't. :)

Sys-X

Commercialized Killer !!!
Mar 22, 2006
Netherlands
Somehow I doubt that if I sneaked into your house and changed your UT2004 mouse settings by .01 that you would feel it.

Believe it or not, but I too can sense a 0.01 difference in mouse speed in ut2004 it's just because I played the game to death on a competitive level. My mouse sense in ut2004 is 0.73 if I put it 0.01 higher/ lower I can feel it's different and it rlly affects my aiming. UT3 is a other story, I hardly feel the difference in the first 10.0 steps.

Last edited:

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
Funny you should mention guitar/music because that's actually a good example. Some people can simply hear notes better than others. I play guitar so I've seen my fair share of tabs, and there have been many, many instances where even if I don't know how to play a particular song I know they've written down some incorrect notes when I hear their tab played back. To me it's incredibly obvious but to them they probably went through replaying and replaying it incorrectly and they never noticed. D:

As for "audiophiles" I remember some informal study some guy did where he tested to see if people could hear the difference between Monster cable and an unfolded clothes hanger. Most of the so-called "audiophiles" he tested couldn't. :)

haha, I'm the same way. I immediately notice when a song is tabbed incorrectly or a friend plays it incorrectly. I guess it's a good thing, but it sucks because I can't listen to anything that's played incorrectly or out of tune, it just annoys the crap out of me :)

as far as the bitrate stuff goes, I can definitely tell the difference between 128kbps CBR and higher, but ~200+kbps it approaches transparency for most music on most equipment, for me at least. Listening to flacs and stuff is just absurd though.

I'd like to see one of you guys having input problems try it out on my system to see if the dodgy input is fundamental to UT3. I don't notice any "sluggishness" at all. I just loaded up UT, and UT3 actually felt less sluggish on my system. For some reason, UT2k4 is uninstalled on my pc, I don't remember uninstalling it but whatever, I couldn't try it on that. I just installed warsow, and UT3 didn't even feel more sluggish than that :confused:

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
UT3 didn't feel sluggish to me. Just the opposite. Even with a lower sensitivity than UT2004 or some other game, UT3 made the mouse feel faster and more floaty regardless. It was very off-putting.

Couple that with the netcode and hitscan tracers and it ultimately made every shot I took feel like random luck. I had no inherent understanding of what was going to be a hit or not, and that's just not cool. That's a big disconnect for me and it's one of the reasons I couldn't continue to play the game. D:

Last edited:

Zennex

The almighty w00tfish
Jul 14, 2004
YOUR FACE!
Have you guys tried playing around with Vsync and the pre-render limit? For some reason Oblivion has mouse lag **** unless you turn on Vsync or set the prerender limit to 0, tho some ppl claimed that setting it really high also helped. The downside, of course, to setting it really high is that the tearing will look pretty awful. I would suggest dl'ing rivatuner and playing around with that ****, since these settings don't seem to be in the nv control panel anymore. Vsync is, but not the prerender frame limit.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT3 didn't feel sluggish to me. Just the opposite. Even with a lower sensitivity than UT2004 or some other game, UT3 made the mouse feel faster and more floaty regardless. It was very off-putting.

Couple that with the netcode and hitscan tracers and it ultimately made every shot I took feel like random luck. I had no inherent understanding of what was going to be a hit or not, and that's just not cool. That's a big disconnect for me and it's one of the reasons I couldn't continue to play the game. D:
Heh, see it just seems all over the board. Some people think it's sluggish, others think it's too responsive, and others don't notice anything. That's why I think it's only perception.

I just jumped into UT and UT2004 and the mouse felt exactly the same to me in those games (on default settings) as it does in UT3 with whatever I've done on here. The mouse speed was the same and the responsiveness was the same. Or extremely similar anyway.

Zennex

The almighty w00tfish
Jul 14, 2004
YOUR FACE!
Yeah there does seem to be conflictign responses, but the jelly description reminds me of having mouse accel to high, or the Oblivion problem.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
when I first got UT3 the mouse didnt feel right. Couldnt aim properly, just felt really wrong.

I turned off "mouse smoothing". Problems fixed.

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
X = People with UT3 mouse issues.

Its like moving the mouse through a bowl of jelly...

Q6600, 2GB DDR667, Asus 8800GTS 640, Logitech G5.

8800GT + E6850

Is it slightly worse on some maps than others or did any of you go into it that far? Such as Torlan or Gateway for example?

I have multiple systems in my studio of which the main two game design and test rigs are: QC 3GHz 8GB 8800GTS-512 Vista64 and DC 3GHz 4GB HD3870-512 XP32.
I can faithfully reproduce "sluggish" (for lack of a better word) hitching feel on the system with the NV video, and it is worse on specific stock maps for reasons that I am aware of, and I can create maps that exploit this so badly they make the map unplayable. This issue has also caused me projectile mis-timing (slight delay) on firing, which can be annoying when the person you want to frag is in your sights.
I know what this specific issue is regarding what I am encountering for "sluggishness", but I'm not willing to go into the reasons here. I'm hoping that Patch3 may fix the issues that I am aware of (if it isnt too late). Currently the developer is stating that one of the issues is with the NVidia driver and NVidia is apparently aware of the issue.
Supposedly not everyone with NV8000 video is encountering this, but I fail to see how they cannot be, knowing what the underlying issue is, they are probably just not realizing it is occurring because the degree that it occurs will vary with a number of things.

Sorry for being vague... :p

Shadow]I[

Dec 3, 2002
Utah
your current FPS will determine the mouse acceleration in ut3, try playing with 20 fps and 90 fps and notice your mouse movement will change dramatically