I'd like to understand what could "substitute" UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

saracen16

Certified Flak Monkey
Apr 23, 2008
Sands of Arabia

I don't think anything will substitute UT. It already earned its place as a hardcore fast-paced FPS franchise not for the faint of heart. Even if they stop making it (God forbid), people will look at it just like they did with Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario Bros. on the earlier consoles. Nothing substituted these games.

Then again, "substitute" is a relative term. Many XBOX players - who at one time might have been UT99 fans - are now rabid worshippers of the franchise that begins with H and rhymes with lame-o.

In73gr4L

Jan 22, 2008
I don't think anything will substitute UT. It already earned its place as a hardcore fast-paced FPS franchise not for the faint of heart. Even if they stop making it (God forbid), people will look at it just like they did with Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario Bros. on the earlier consoles. Nothing substituted these games.

Then again, "substitute" is a relative term. Many XBOX players - who at one time might have been UT99 fans - are now rabid worshippers of the franchise that begins with H and rhymes with lame-o.

Hahaha that's classic stuff.:D

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Also I find Dragonforce pretty overrated in Audiosurf, and enjoy a variety of techno and other metal a lot more. I do, however, have a couple top global spots on some of their songs... only 4th on Through Fire and Flames (on pro, I generally play pro more than elite) though, never did get around to putting the time into moving up, since I like their other songs better >.<.

Well, it's not so much the speed of the songs alone ... it's the fact that you'll have to concentrate while listening to badly sung 8-bit-sound shredmetal.

(On the topic of rhythm games, I'm currently tabbing out one of Dream Theater's songs for Guitar Hero - Dance of Eternity. About halfway through I just gave up trying to make the bars match and just do it by ear. Damn tempo changes...-_-)

That happened to an ex roomy of mine when he played seventh guest ... he wont touch it speak of it or anything ... I'm sure both him and you need to go see a doc or something cause if flashing lights and pretty colours on the screen are making you feel ill then maybe theres something not quite right on the inside @_@

saracen16

Certified Flak Monkey
Apr 23, 2008
Sands of Arabia
Vitamin_Carrot said:
That happened to an ex roomy of mine when he played seventh guest ... he wont touch it speak of it or anything ... I'm sure both him and you need to go see a doc or something cause if flashing lights and pretty colours on the screen are making you feel ill then maybe theres something not quite right on the inside @_@

I'm not photosensitive. It was just the concept behind Serious Sam and the gameplay. It reminded me of this cheap 3D-rendered space-shooter I once played. Usually when I see something so horribly twisted, especially in game design, it just doesn't settle in with me. It's more or less the idea of it that makes me feel woozy.

Anyways, back to the topic. There's plenty of room to believe that UT won't be substituted. The guys @ Epic know what the trend in the market is like when it comes to FPS's. Like UT2004: they added the Onslaught gametype in light of the vehicle fad that games like Red Faction, Battlefield, and... you-know-what... started. With UT3, they've added to it, and went in a new direction with the uniqueness of the organic-themed Necris vehicles, though the Necris theme's uniqueness can be debated (anyone watch Chronicles of Riddick?).

I used to play Quake's 2, 3, and 4 multiplayer, but none of them have the strategy, finesse, and style that UT has. Whenever I played Quake, I felt like I was just in another mindless fragfest. UT doesn't have that feeling with most of its gametypes.

EDIT: This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
these are just some of the games I've played since I'm not too happy with how UT3 turned out. (For now, .. I'm still hoping for some good patching to clean up some of my major beefs with UT3, while trying to keep my whining to a minimum.)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - more reality based combat. It cannot be argued that this game requires a great deal of skill. It floored me when I started to realize that the techniques I learned during my stint in the Army actually help in this game. It's not run&gun by any means. Combat is much more about taking out your enemies before they have a chance to draw a bead on your position. When groups encounter each other, it more about who can keep a cool head and concentrate fire, and follow enemy movements the best, when everything around you seems frantic and deadly. In Stalker, you lose track of an enemy during a firefight, you're dead.

HL2 - DM - I still get a huge kick out of it. It kind of mixes up a great deal of things into one fun DM experience. I can run and gun like a spam-tard , I can play sneaky and take ppl out with auto-fire bursts, hell, I can beat ppl to death with toilets and office furniture.

F.E.A.R. Combat - the multiplayer portion of the game is free. It seems riddled with hacks too. but when you do find a good server with an active admin and up to date anti-cheat protection, its a blast. You have more movement balancing to learn. There are a few annoying exploits, but beyond that, the game is a few interlocking piles of rock/paper/scissors techniques and weapon loadouts that work amazingly well to keep things balanced. I only wish the multiplayer portion of the game (FEAR Combat itself) had not been made completely free, as that fact alone seems to have opened the floodgates to an unusually large amount of hackers.

Painkiller - I get my butt pwned in PK multi-player. I don't know what I do wrong, lol but I also haven't tried much, as I'm still engrossed by the incredibly cathartic single-player experience. This game should be given as therapy to would-be homicidal maniacs to allow them to vent. :) I'm sure my problems in multi-play have something to do with the subtle changes in movement when using different weapons, and the techniques used to kill effectively with the alternate fire modes and combos used when weapon switching... I don't know though yet, like I said I haven't tried much.

Doom3 - Yep, I still play even this. Now that I have a machine that can run it at Ultra Quality, I'm loving this game all over again. sure it's Doom,.. it's dated,..so what I have a hell of a time hiding in dark corners, pouncing on people with the shotgun blast to the face... watching the spammers get taken out from the dark recesses of the levels...

These are all just suggestions from my point of view for anyone else who might be looking for something to wet the appetite while waiting for UT3 fixes. lol. I know there are probably better games out there, I just don't happen to own them all. Most of these I consider oldies but goodies. Stalker though above and beyon dall, I think i'll be playing for quite some time. Well at least until august when the prequel Clear Sky comes out, and I get that and a better GPU card.

Painkiller - I get my butt pwned in PK multi-player. I don't know what I do wrong, lol but I also haven't tried much, as I'm still engrossed by the incredibly cathartic single-player experience. This game should be given as therapy to would-be homicidal maniacs to allow them to vent. :) I'm sure my problems in multi-play have something to do with the subtle changes in movement when using different weapons, and the techniques used to kill effectively with the alternate fire modes and combos used when weapon switching... I don't know though yet, like I said I haven't tried much.

I also have this problem when i change from playing CS to anything else .. the movement is all different and weird feeling except in MOHAA for some strange reason dropping into that after a stint in CS allows me to pwn ... go figure ... I guess the remedy for this is to just stick to one game and when bored of it take a weeks worth of holiday away from the screen only to come back to play a different one ...

jumping from UT3 to CS doesnt help either :(

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
People are on different pages here. While certainly there are many games that can substitute Unreal Tournament in the sense that they fill the same spot that you were using on UT (I like World of Warcraft and Grand Theft Auto IV right now for multiplayer), but I doubt that anything on the market replaces Unreal Tournament. This is the only fast-paced arena-style sci-fi FPS franchise for me thank you very much.

Like I said before in this thread, the original Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004 are still going strong (at least UT is). Those are the closest things to replacements you'll find if you're not willing to find servers for Unreal Tournament 3.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
o hai thar. I'm an old UT player who's been out of the PC gaming loop for a while, and decided to poke my head in here to see what the general consensus was on UT3. I just stumbled across some vids on Youtube, and my reaction was basically "these graphics are awesome, but why should I upgrade my CPU to play it if it's just UT99 reskinned with a new vehicle mode?".

The other thing that occurred to me is "wow, this is slow". For reasons that I may or might not go into later, I've been on a Halo stint lately, and then seeing some CPMA match videos recently reinvigorated my enthusiasm for PC/DM shooters. Then I loaded up some UT3 videos expecting to see some fast-paced, kinetic action, and what I saw was like a slightly faster version of Halo.

Don't get me wrong, UT has always had AWESOME weapons, but the movement's always been a hop, skip, and a jump behind Quake (puns not intended). UT2kx was a step in the right direction with the additional moves, even if they weren't perfect and I occasionally got nostalgic for UT99's movement. Now I look at UT3 where they took out most of the new moves from UT2kx, and it just seems like a huge step backwards. I thought sequels were supposed to improve, evolve, and add to things, not subtract, so why is UT3 leaving the series even further behind Quake in this area?

I think the future of UT movement would be a movement system that provides the kind of speed and acrobatics of Q3 CPMA, albeit with moves that actually make some sense logically and aren't just a glitch exploit. This is a somewhat vague statement and I don't have any exact proposals off the top of my head, but I think you guys can catch my drift. However, at the very least, if someone were to just take UT's weapons and map and stick CPMA movement into the formula, it would still be awesome and much better than Epic's aproach of "uuhhh....not everyone liked dodge jumping so lets just not bother".

Anyway, the next topic I'm gonna touch on is this...If everyone is so disappointed with UT3, why doesn't someone do something about it for chist's sake? It seems like in many cases, you guys seem to know exactly what you want instead, so just do it up, mod the game that way! UT is supposed to be one of the best series for modding in gaming, why are people so content to just sit around whining instead fixing things themselves?

Back when UT2004 was relatively new, I had been playing a lot of Quake, so when I first started playing UT2k4, my first reaction was "this isn't enough like Quake", so even though I had 0 programming knowledge, I figured out how to make mutators and went to work. Despite having tons of work IRL, eventually got pretty extensive with it. I actually posted versions of it here, got feedback on it (mostly from Aenubis) and kept on refining it. Basically I would spend all day working on oil paintings, doing 3D modeling, and writing papers for school still late at night, then I'd come home and work on my UT mod often till 5am or 6am, go to sleep, then get up at 8 or 9am for class, and start the process all over again.

Then I went home for Christmas break and while I was away, my apartment got broken into, my PC got stolen, and I lost all my work.

That's why I ended up trudging through console shooters for a time; I couldn't afford a new PC immediately and by the time I could the UT2k4 community had fizzled out along with my own interest.

But the story doesn't end there. I ended up playing Halo 1 with my friends at college, and being used to PC shooters, I was frustrated with how crappy it was. Then when my PC got stolen I was stuck with console shooters, and quickly found that the best console shooter out there was Halo 2, which sucked even worst than Halo 1. In my frustration I eventually just decided to mod Halo to not suck, evolving it from some random crappy console game into a slower-paced more "tactical" version of UT or Quake. Now mind you, this is on consoles. You have to mod your goddamn Xbox to even begin modding the game, and Bungie doesn't pack the game with ****ing HaloEd and a full mutator/mod system geared towards user generated content. You have to work your way through 3rd party modding software which crashes on you every 2 seconds, doesn't give you access to everything, and generally it's all much messier and more of a pain in the ass than with PC game modding. But I did it and I'm happy enough with the end product to continue refining it.

So when I come back to the Unreal community to find everyone disappointed with UT3, where all the modding stuff you need comes in the box and Epic invites user-generated content with open arms, I have to wonder why all you "dedicated" UT fans which won't suffer any alternative are just sitting on your asses doing nothing.

The movement's too slow and unskilled compared to Quake? Fix it.

The Enforcers suck almost as bad as the Ass Rifle? Fix em.

Rockets don't have enough splash damage? Fix em.

I swear, the power is right at your guys' finger tips. CPMA wouldn't even exist were it not for modders who thought Quake 3 sucked taking a stand and doing something about it. I'm not the only Halo player to try to fix Bungie's mess either as projects like this exist and are popular despite what a bitch modding on consoles is. If Unreal fans are so damn loyal, why don't they get off their ass and do something?

Honestly I'd help were it not for the fact that I already have too many projects on my plate, plus my cpu can't run UT3 anyway. Maybe later.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
these are just some of the games I've played since I'm not too happy with how UT3 turned out. (For now, .. I'm still hoping for some good patching to clean up some of my major beefs with UT3, while trying to keep my whining to a minimum.)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - more reality based combat. It cannot be argued that this game requires a great deal of skill. It floored me when I started to realize that the techniques I learned during my stint in the Army actually help in this game. It's not run&gun by any means. Combat is much more about taking out your enemies before they have a chance to draw a bead on your position. When groups encounter each other, it more about who can keep a cool head and concentrate fire, and follow enemy movements the best, when everything around you seems frantic and deadly. In Stalker, you lose track of an enemy during a firefight, you're dead.

HL2 - DM - I still get a huge kick out of it. It kind of mixes up a great deal of things into one fun DM experience. I can run and gun like a spam-tard , I can play sneaky and take ppl out with auto-fire bursts, hell, I can beat ppl to death with toilets and office furniture.

F.E.A.R. Combat - the multiplayer portion of the game is free. It seems riddled with hacks too. but when you do find a good server with an active admin and up to date anti-cheat protection, its a blast. You have more movement balancing to learn. There are a few annoying exploits, but beyond that, the game is a few interlocking piles of rock/paper/scissors techniques and weapon loadouts that work amazingly well to keep things balanced. I only wish the multiplayer portion of the game (FEAR Combat itself) had not been made completely free, as that fact alone seems to have opened the floodgates to an unusually large amount of hackers.

Doom3 - Yep, I still play even this. Now that I have a machine that can run it at Ultra Quality, I'm loving this game all over again. sure it's Doom,.. it's dated,..so what I have a hell of a time hiding in dark corners, pouncing on people with the shotgun blast to the face... watching the spammers get taken out from the dark recesses of the levels...

These are all just suggestions from my point of view for anyone else who might be looking for something to wet the appetite while waiting for UT3 fixes. lol. I know there are probably better games out there, I just don't happen to own them all. Most of these I consider oldies but goodies. Stalker though above and beyon dall, I think i'll be playing for quite some time. Well at least until august when the prequel Clear Sky comes out, and I get that and a better GPU card.

Ah HL2:DM, great game. A game with so many advanced techniques it makes Q3 CPMA look like child's play.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
o hai thar. '
(...)
Maybe later.

The thing here is, quake 3 was popular. It had enough players to warrant making such a mod. As it is right now, there's barely enough UT3 players to fill normal servers, let alone when you narrow down the audience to 'hardcore players'.

Modding Halo 2: modding one of the most played games on the xbox ever.
Modding Quake3: modding the most popular PC shooter at the time.
Anyone that makes a mod doesn't just make that mod for himself. Some do, admitted, but I find it takes about 50 dollars more and about 50 days of work less to just buy another game when you're disappointed with UT3.
Most will say they make a mod because they are interested in the process, to be creative, and to help out the community. If there is little to no community, one third of the reasons disappears.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
NOTHING could replace UT3 as a modding platform (which, to me and I'm guessing to many others as well, is the game's main attraction). Even in its current ridiculously nerfed form it's still vastly superior to 'weakly moddable' games like Crysis and COD4, let alone the countless games that can't be modded at all. Right now oldskool moddable PC arena shooters seem to be a dying breed, drowned and washed away by a vile brown tide of play & forget console turds and their bastard PC port offspring. So we, the community, need to keep UT3 alive; not because it's such a brilliant game (though it certainly isn't bad, either), but because it may very well be the last of its kind.

Last edited:

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
The thing here is, quake 3 was popular. It had enough players to warrant making such a mod. As it is right now, there's barely enough UT3 players to fill normal servers, let alone when you narrow down the audience to 'hardcore players'.

Modding Halo 2: modding one of the most played games on the xbox ever.
Modding Quake3: modding the most popular PC shooter at the time.
Anyone that makes a mod doesn't just make that mod for himself. Some do, admitted, but I find it takes about 50 dollars more and about 50 days of work less to just buy another game when you're disappointed with UT3.
Most will say they make a mod because they are interested in the process, to be creative, and to help out the community. If there is little to no community, one third of the reasons disappears.

I suppose I figured with the amount of players still playing UT99, plus those involved making stand alone games like Warsow and such, there would be enough interest to put a UT3 project together. Even if it had no community at first, one would hope that hardcore fans would be lured over when word of the project got out...I guess that's wishful thinking. It's a sad state of affairs.

NOTHING could replace UT3 as a modding platform (which, to me and I'm guessing to many others as well, is the game's main attraction). Even in its current ridiculously nerfed form it's still vastly superior to 'weakly moddable' games like Crysis and COD4, let alone the countless games that can't be modded at all. Right now oldskool moddable PC arena shooters seem to be a dying breed, drowned and washed away by a vile brown tide of play & forget console turds and their bastard PC port offspring. So we, the community, need to keep UT3 alive; not because it's such a brilliant game (though it certainly isn't bad, either), but because it may very well be the last of its kind.
Yeah, actually one of the reasons I was looking into UT3 in the first place was because my friend and I had been discussing creating a new mod project for a UT game, and despite my familiarity with UT2k4, we figured if we were serious about it, we should make it for the ultra-hyped, ultra-modern UE3 engine. Maybe simply as a tech demo, sure, but it looks like the player base is going to be about the same or worse on UT3 than if we built it for an older game like UT2k4 or even Q3.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, whoever said mod makers don't make mods for themselves better get a reality check (or the mod makers that don't do that). I'm sorry, but only about 1% of the mods/mutators for UT, UT2003 and UT2004 have been popularized to ANY degree. So yes, most mod makers do it for themselves, maybe close friends, maybe people on the forums, but they don't do it to get famous.

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
Well, whoever said mod makers don't make mods for themselves better get a reality check ... but they don't do it to get famous.

I would like to do a mod to get famous... :D
... and maybe get picked up by a serious game studio instead of freelancing or dealing with the current large crop of "EA's"* that work at most studios...

Seriously... I am working on two mod teams right now for MSUC (and for the community and to sharpen my skills even further), but I would like to win some cash/hardware moreso than get famous.

* Not related to the game company EA.