Remake of CTF-Maul?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
lol thanks, but I don't think he meant me specifically. Neo and I have played before back in the day so he knows what's up.

Maul is a pretty good map imho in terms of balancing defense and offense. A good flag run on Maul with all your teammates helping out is some of the most exhilarating fun I've ever had playing UT.
Sounds like you like CTF.

Like it enough to play it for a clan. ;(

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
Just as the long as the remake isn't all "necris" assets put into a remake of a map that used to be more organic.

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
Heh, Maul... so many fond memories of setting up a 16 vs 16 bot match with the Halo UT's flood vs a hoard of agent Smiths, clicking spectate, and laugh. Flood swarm versus Smith swarm, you gotta love user created content.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I played on a Pistola remake with DarQ a while back. No idea what it was called though - not Pistola.

Yeah, that was a pretty decent remake. I'll look up the name in my cache files when I get back this weekend. Haven't played much since (examinations, etc) so it should still be in there.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Pine would eat your face off in Maul.

Ah, you don't remember the 2002 videos ? You know, the ones with mark rein playing against these... german guys. They weren't actual fps players, and he kinda messed around with them (I think). At one point he said, iirc: "you play like a girl".

There was a massive uproar about it on the epic forums :p

And yes, I fully realise that pine is a very good player. And I know he surpasses me in skill, I'm fine with that :) Pine is an ok guy, I just figured someone would recall these videos but nope :p

So, it wasn't directed at pine otherwise I would've quoted him ;-)

Edit: Iirc the other video showed footage of dm-tokara forest, dm-antalus and some double domination level...

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why don't you like Pistola, Brizz?

Back on topic - okay it looks like Maul is in demand. Mappers take note! ;)
I have played it to death and I think I just don't like the layout.

As far as Pistola in UT3, the map just doesn't fit the gameplay AT ALL.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Ah, you don't remember the 2002 videos ? You know, the ones with mark rein playing against these... german guys. They weren't actual fps players, and he kinda messed around with them (I think). At one point he said, iirc: "you play like a girl".

There was a massive uproar about it on the epic forums :p

And yes, I fully realise that pine is a very good player. And I know he surpasses me in skill, I'm fine with that :) Pine is an ok guy, I just figured someone would recall these videos but nope :p
Now that you mention it I do recall him saying that in a video or something.

I also want to say that Pine eats faces regardless of skill. It's just what he does.

dura1198

Feb 18, 2008
Why don't you like Pistola, Brizz?

Back on topic - okay it looks like Maul is in demand. Mappers take note! ;)

On the surface it doesn't look like a super tough map to make but capturing identical gameplay could be challenging. I play instagib primarily and Maul was a very popular ladder choice during UT2003. As a defender I loved this map...not so sure i'd feel the same way if I was a flag runner. I'm working on 2 CTF maps currently or i'd give it a go.