The community killed UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
What a completely bogus comparison then. This is like comparing a $1.00 beer in a bar to a $50 keg straight from the brewery. Obviously the $1.00 beer is going to sell better because it's in a place you go and it's cheap.

And imagine what the customer is thinking now who bought the 50 dollar keg of guinness v2. Only to tap the keg and find out he hates it. Now the keg just sits in his garage. Thats the last time he trys a new guinness product. Either way they are both p2p multiplayer games one was successful and one isnt.

Do you honestly believe that game would have sold period if Midway had been the publisher?
yes, maybe not as much as fast, but yes.

Counter Strike was probably around for YEARS before you ever heard of it. The alphas and betas were terrible in so many ways but those of us who saw the potential in it kept playing and recommending it to friends anyway. Now I feel like games have moved on and improved from counter strike, but it is still the most played FPS in the world right now.
like i said advertising isnt needed, word of mouth is much more powerful.

UT had a TON of advertising.
i never saw one, ill take your word for it.:) But i do remember seen tons of ut3 crap spammed all over the front page of many popular gaming websites.

UT3 has the unfortunate problem of having scattered information and screenshots over it's development time, and a good 40% or more of what was talked about over a year ago isn't even in the game anymore. I've seen very few advertisements for it and media releases have been shoddy at best.

Games that do great have a combination of things....lots of facts....

haha bizz you sure went on a rant there:) i agree for the most part, so i skipped over alot of stuff.

Cod4 isnt without its problems though. PC users are pissed right now bc of the whole map pack thing, but everyone still plays bc the gameplay makes you want to come back.

UT does have a community website, unfortunately its admin'd by someone who wants to piss off the fan base that is actually willing to go out of their way to sign up for a forum(i estimate this is like maybe 15%), by deleting threads and banning people without warning. Horrible PR, dont hide the problem FIX it. I still think advertising is a trivial part of why this game failed. Millions downloaded the demo. Thats far better advertisment(or worse in this case, bc the game was not good) than any tv or magazine spot.

Want to go for coffee now?

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
What a completely bogus comparison then. This is like comparing a $1.00 beer in a bar to a $50 keg straight from the brewery. Obviously the $1.00 beer is going to sell better because it's in a place you go and it's cheap.

Because they're playing CoD4 :p

But seriously, UT has never been as popular as realism games. That has always been the case. I would bet my left nut that no sci fi game has EVER done as well as it's realism counterparts (except maybe in RTSes).

Now you are ignoring the difference between sales and online player numbers? :)

Advertising pays. Halo is one of the worst FPSes ever made, but Microsoft branded and marketed it well and now it's one of the most successful games ever made. Also look at Gears of War. Do you honestly believe that game would have sold period if Midway had been the publisher?

Counter Strike was probably around for YEARS before you ever heard of it. The alphas and betas were terrible in so many ways but those of us who saw the potential in it kept playing and recommending it to friends anyway. Now I feel like games have moved on and improved from counter strike, but it is still the most played FPS in the world right now.

UT had a TON of advertising. Gt Interactive did them right on that game. Every magazine everywhere had tons of previews, ads, reviews, etc. Entire websites were devoted to the game and media releases were frequent and full of information.

UT3 has the unfortunate problem of having scattered information and screenshots over it's development time, and a good 40% or more of what was talked about over a year ago isn't even in the game anymore. I've seen very few advertisements for it and media releases have been shoddy at best.

Games that do great have a combination of things.

First, they approach a subject matter that the majority of gamers are interested in at the time. Sci fi FPSes on PC have never really been a popular genre.

Second, this generation, running on 6 year old computers seems like it's mandatory for some reason. I don't remember people in 2004 whining about how UT2004 wouldn't run on the exact same machine that people played UT at crappy framerates on, but that does happen now with UT3->UT2004. It's really rather retarded.

Third, they advertise in a huge and major way. Media releases and news are frequent (even if information-less) and never give away anything that isn't set in stone. You never would have heard about a game mode for CoD4 that they were not sure as shooting would be in the final release. One REALLY important part of this is having a community portal like Charlie Oscar Delta or Cult of Rapture. I agree with many people on here that Epic doesn't give enough updates via public access methods (stickied forum posts, a site devoted to community updates, etc) and the problem with that is that it's clear from these other sites that it is absolutely something that gamers are craving today.

Fourth, if they are sequels, they capitalize but do not depend on the successes of the previous games. UT3 probably shouldn't have UWindows, but it sure needed a UI that lived up to the expectations of previous games. Also, relying on a third party system for game serving when you've handled it well in the past doesn't help either. However, this issue is something that I believe could have been reasonably resolved if a community portal did exist, and Epic were frank and up front about how that system was going to work months before release. Things like not being able to use a custom nickname could have been resolved ages before the demo came out. Gameplay does not need to match previous games, but it should feel like it's the same series.

Fifth, continued community updates and coverage. Infinity Ward is AWESOME at this. I'll even admit Blizzard is awesome at this (though I hate companies who rely on MMORPGs as a foundational part of their business strategy). A very important aspect of this is letting the community know what you are doing to improve their experience with your game. Yet again, this is another place where a community portal is very desirable.

Obviously there is more but I'm tired of typing :p The unfortunate problem here is that, while UT3 does touch on each of these areas, it mostly fails to impress much in any of them. I'd love to see Epic take a more active role in the community. Whether by hiring people to run a community portal for them, or even something as simple as posting a sticky in their forum every week or so letting people know what they are up to. I think it would make a HUGE difference in the outlook of the community in general.

Quoted for Truth, and appearing on the fresh page. This is an excellent summary of where it actually did go wrong.

Of course, coupled with quite possibly the worst possible release timing - with Halo3, CoD4, the Orange Box, Crysis and Quake Wars all to compete with in the FPS stakes at the time (OK, so Halo 3 is a different platform, so the competition is more limited). That's not including all the non-FPS, non-platform titles such as Assassin's Creed, Fifa 08 or the Phantom Hourglass.

If it had released say, in March instead, it would have fared much better. All of the above titles have had their splurge of success and trailed off. It would also have given 5 months to fix some of the outstanding issues present in the demo. What would they be competing with? Turok and Frontlines: Fuel of War. Things would have been different.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
like i said advertising isnt needed, word of mouth is much more powerful.
Definitely. That's why I find it ironic that people are recommending to other people that they not buy/play UT3 even though they "find the gameplay great". :p

At any rate, advertising is needed for something that is NOT a mod. CS had the advantage of building a user base over several years. You can't really do that with a retail game.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
deadhorse.jpg

Will this do?

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Second, this generation, running on 6 year old computers seems like it's mandatory for some reason. I don't remember people in 2004 whining about how UT2004 wouldn't run on the exact same machine that people played UT at crappy framerates on, but that does happen now with UT3->UT2004. It's really rather retarded.

Aye, that strikes me as really odd as well. I do think it has two major reasons though: Games were stalling on the "6 year old computer" level of quality for some time (including the chartbreaker WoW, whether you like it or not that game did probably have among the biggest impacts of any game so far, right up there with Pacman IMHO), and the AGP-to-PCIE switch. Myself I was one of them, but I've heard of many others who didn't upgrade their computer after the AGP port became obsolete. Before that, you could mostly upgrade in bits and pieces ... new motherboard and processor, keep RAM and graphics card. Upgrade graphics card, keep the rest. PCI-E made it mandatory to upgrade RAM, graphics card, processor and motherboard in one go, yielding more or less a complete new PC. Upgraders weren't used to that, and still have their AGP boxes. Or upgraded just recently, like I did last December.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's probably true for this generation, but my first PC didn't have an AGP slot in it either, so I had to bite the bullet then. You do make a good point about quality stalling though. The last generation seemed to last for a lot longer than it should have, probably compounded by the long draw time between console generations and the inability of anyone to develop anything exclusively for the always improving PC. :)

Another thing that I find odd is that this generation seems to be leaving out all the perks of the last generation. Where is the Dolby Digital sound that became prominent in games for a while? Or rumble support? Or the plethora of other features that were always added last generation but are now mysteriously missing??? o_O

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Why don't you explain stuff like this on your own forums, instead of just closing everything and expecting things to change then saying that here? As the games' developer you can affect perceptions a lot depending on how you communicate (or don't communicate) with the people who come there.

The users may get tiring, but I suspect a little casual candidness and forthrightness such as you put forward on BU would eventually translate to less BS threads and more meaningful and pleasurable discussions that might actually improve the games AND the community as a whole.

Hi Wunderbar. The only problem is it accomplishes the exact opposite.

There's this insane gene in the DNA of forum posters that makes them believe they can affect change via forum posts. Posting it over and over again. Posting the same thing, each time with more 50% more rant, again and again. Hoping of reaching some "obnoxiousness" threshold for being heard.

Sadly, this only gets them added to the ignore list, whether figuratively or literally. This is necessary because these "empty calorie" posts clutter otherwise useful threads and make it hard to find the actually constructive information.

Fundamentally, people who non-stop bitch about the UI, the player counts, the "consolification", etc are doing it for their own benefit. 99.99% of the "I'm sad" or "How can we save UT" threads are retreads of opinions now almost 6 months old and are already well understood by the UT team.

I really hope they're at least enjoyable for the poster, since truly, they serve no other purpose.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
That's probably true for this generation, but my first PC didn't have an AGP slot in it either, so I had to bite the bullet then.

Yeah, my first PC didn't even have PCI (8 bit ISA all the way, baby, the hard disk controller was an ISA card too and not onboard), and the first 3D card was in addition to the 2D card I had. But even then, when getting an AGP mainboard you could still continue using the PCI graphics card (although few did, of course, with all that potential lying around), and maybe I was less sensitive but it didn't bother me the slightest to have different RAM timings among sticks, or older RAM with a newer processor. But you're right, PCI-E certainly wasn't the first such big step - what makes me a bit optimistic about this is however that PCI-E 2.0 now is backwards compatible with the first PCI-E, I guess lessons were learned...

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
At any rate, advertising is needed for something that is NOT a mod. CS had the advantage of building a user base over several years. You can't really do that with a retail game.

Sins of a solar empire. Make a note here. Huge success. 0 advertisments. Retail game.

Game survived on word or mouth alone, and just recently finally got some limelight on some gaming sites.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Plus, it's been getting plenty of advertising lately just because it doesn't have copy protection.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
The users may get tiring, but I suspect a little casual candidness and forthrightness such as you put forward on BU would eventually translate to less BS threads and more meaningful and pleasurable discussions that might actually improve the games AND the community as a whole.

+1

It might not accomplish much in the short term but i know people will appreciate the interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.